The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
In many ways I agree with you, but it is for the charity or organisation to invite the royal to get involved not the other way round. The alternative is for Catherine to set up her own charitable fund, which I believe has already been done.
I would venture to add that it may not be technically correct that William and Catherine are senior royals. They are well known royals and reported on more so than any other, but that does not make them senior royals in the proper sense.
Workload and responsibilities are not handed out based upon one's perceived popularity or the likely attention one might get.
I agree, but William and Catherine are senior members of the royal family though. It's due to William's position as second-in-line to the throne.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

"Senior Royals" - this comes from an intepretation placed on the Jubilee balcony appearance by the media.

Hey, maybe they were wrong! Maybe it was just saying - "Here is my direct line; here is continuity"

Not seniority - but continuity.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

William and Catherine have seniority because of the position that William holds in the royal family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

But it is an argument put forward on a regular basis that as "senior royals" they should do more.

I've thought about that; when that phrase started to be used (balcony) and I am just thinking that the media interpretation is wrong.

No one has to agree - jmo

EDIT (sorry hit wrong button)

Also agree with the comments that Catherine can't go full time while William is working for EAAA. She takes the lead from him.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Using proximity to the throne as an indicator of who is a senior royal would make Beatrice and Eugenie senior royals. They come ahead of Princess Anne and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

The bottom line is, the Queen decides who works and when and how much
Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

The "senior" term is unfortunate and does not appear to be used for any other royal family. One looks at the Princess of Orange as a junior in the literal sense, but as heir to the Dutch throne it is awkward (for me at least) to categories her as being a senior.

William's (an by default Catherine's) overall position and role is somewhat of a anomaly within royal families, his being 2nd in line to the throne yet "only" the grandson of the monarch. Other royals in his exact position tend to be children and thus immune from criticism. I'm convinced I have touched upon this elsewhere on TRF, but if only we had a precedent as to what role should be played in such circumstances, I am sure life would be easier!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Wasn't it the same for Duke of York, later George V. He and Mary lived mainly in Norfolk and did v few royal duties

mmmm..........sounds familiar!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
But it is an argument put forward on a regular basis that as "senior royals" they should do more.

I've thought about that; when that phrase started to be used (balcony) and I am just thinking that the media interpretation is wrong.

No one has to agree - jmo

EDIT (sorry hit wrong button)

Also agree with the comments that Catherine can't go full time while William is working for EAAA. She takes the lead from him.
I know I haven't stated that Catherine should go full-time over William. They're in this together. I'm basically stating that Catherine's seems to be increasing since even the Queen wanting Catherine to represent her for the first time abroad. She could make her voice heard more on the issues she care about; like her charities she currently support. Also, it would be nice for her to form a relationship with her own military regiments. I know a lot of my friends on here may disagree with me, but I think Catherine would do a wonderful job as an allied-Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. A role she would share with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She would be able to be to visit the Canadian branch of the regiment as well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I know I haven't stated that Catherine should go full-time over William. They're in this together. I'm basically stating that Catherine's seems to be increasing since even the Queen wanting Catherine to represent her for the first time abroad. She could make her voice heard more on the issues she care about; like her charities she currently support. Also, it would be nice for her to form a relationship with her own military regiments. I know a lot of my friends on here may disagree with me, but I think Catherine would do a wonderful job as an allied-Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. A role she would share with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She would be able to be to visit the Canadian branch of the regiment as well.
Ok, I understand your view much better now and it does make a lot of sense. Yes, Catherine's role is increasing in a measured way and the fact that the Queen asked her to go to Malta last year does indeed show a clear intention of expanding Catherine's current role as much as practicably possible until she becomes Princess of Wales.

Maybe I am wrong and that she will after all attend certain engagements whilst William works.

The press seek for her to increase visibility, but the reality is that it will be "quality and substance" and high profile events that may be being increased in her role rather than quantity - and I think somewhere in the last few pages, someone has already touched on that.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I agree, but William and Catherine are senior members of the royal family though. It's due to William's position as second-in-line to the throne.
They are senior members of the line of succession in the House of Windsor but when looking at the Firm, they are part time junior working members. One is by birthright and the other is by involvement in working for the family. William, Harry and Kate are learning the ropes so to speak and they've got plenty of time to do it. Along with working part time, each of them are serving family and country in other aspects. William with flying air ambulance, Harry as an officer in the military and Kate with bearing and raising the future heir and his siblings. Add to that the Royal Foundation which is all three of the junior part time members working together with charities and patronages and even bringing into existence new innovative global ways of putting forth their concerns such as the Invictus games and United for Wildlife, these are pretty busy people I think.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-06-2015, 02:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
II know a lot of my friends on here may disagree with me, but I think Catherine would do a wonderful job as an allied-Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. A role she would share with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She would be able to be to visit the Canadian branch of the regiment as well.
Kate is not Princess of Wales so it would be odd to be given the position of Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Maybe I am wrong and that she will after all attend certain engagements whilst William works.
She already does. About 30% of her engagements are solo and deal with her interests.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
.... but I think Catherine would do a wonderful job as an allied-Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. A role she would share with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She would be able to be to visit the Canadian branch of the regiment as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Kate is not Princess of Wales so it would be odd to be given the position of Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment.
.... especially as we already have a Princess of Wales at the moment.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Courtier

Catherine's Malta trip (that never happened)was scheduled before she got pregnant. At this point you will need to schedule in this baby and maternity leave.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
You don't need to be Princess of Wales to be Colonel in Chief of the Regiment. The Regiment only named themselves that in honor of their then Colonel, Diana in 1992.

They haven't had a British royal Colonel since 1996. I think it would be nice for Catherine to be appointed as it's Colonel in Chief.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-07-2015, 05:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
You don't need to be Princess of Wales to be Colonel in Chief of the Regiment. The Regiment only named themselves that in honor of their then Colonel, Diana in 1992.

They haven't had a British royal Colonel since 1996. I think it would be nice for Catherine to be appointed as it's Colonel in Chief.
It would be quite odd, IMO, to replace the Royal Colonel for the Princess of Wales regiment, with somebody who is not a Princess of Wales (Catherine), when there is an existing Princess of Wales (Camilla). When Daisy took the patronage on, there were no other suitable candidates.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It would be quite odd, IMO, to replace the Royal Colonel for the Princess of Wales regiment, with somebody who is not a Princess of Wales (Catherine), when there is an existing Princess of Wales (Camilla). When Daisy took the patronage on, there were no other suitable candidates.
Well, I doubt Camilla will take on the role and she already have several appointments. I think it would be good for Catherine to take up the role and she is a future Princess of Wales. Also, Catherine wouldn't be replacing anyone, she would be an Allied-Colonel in Chief of the regiment.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well, I doubt Camilla will take on the role and she already have several appointments. I think it would be good for Catherine to take up the role and she is a future Princess of Wales. Also, Catherine wouldn't be replacing anyone, she would be an Allied-Colonel in Chief of the regiment.
IMO, this one can wait till she is Princess of Wales. If anybody should take on an association with the regiment, it should be Camilla. It will soon be 10 years from when she became Princess of Wales.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
IMO, this one can wait till she is Princess of Wales. If anybody should take on an association with the regiment, it should be Camilla. It will soon be 10 years from when she became Princess of Wales.
I really don't think Camilla will take up the role. I'd be surprised if she did. Camilla isn't officially known as The Princess of Wales. It's Catherine that will likely go by the title. Outside the title association, I think it would be a great regiment for Catherine to get involved with.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I really don't think Camilla will take up the role. I'd be surprised if she did. Camilla isn't officially known as The Princess of Wales. It's Catherine that will likely go by the title. Outside the title association, I think it would be a great regiment for Catherine to get involved with.
So let's wait until the Duchess of Cambridge is Princess of Wales, so she'll be able to take up the role.

I'm sure there are other regiments for her.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles