The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That is exactly where I did see it. Thanks! Usually when it comes to something with numbers I usually go back and check for reliability and facts but was in a rush at that time. Now I really have to say that between full time SAR duties and that workload of duties (If he stays the same or increases in 2011), I really do hope that the newlyweds do take time and just enjoy married life for a while.
Which will certainly rub some people the wrong way, because they can't just be enjoying married life and not doing anything special or proving their worth, can they?
They must give something back to the community straight away, the nerve if they dare to live a life in the shadows! .

Of course, this is meant to be completely sarcastic as I agree with you. I think they must enjoy married life in the same aspect as they know their life right now. Those days will never come back.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Which will certainly rub some people the wrong way, because they can't just be enjoying married life and not doing anything special or proving their worth, can they?
They must give something back to the community straight away, the nerve if they dare to live a life in the shadows! .

Of course, this is meant to be completely sarcastic as I agree with you. I think they must enjoy married life in the same aspect as they know their life right now. Those days will never come back.
HM and the DOE got to enjoy married life privately before they were unfortunately thrust into the next phase of their life.

I too hope Will and Kate have a chance to enjoy married life before they have to live a public life.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaristocratx View Post
I hope Kate goes out and meets the crowds, like Diana did. That will gain support and make her look friendly. Charity work of course. I hope they put off the 'duty' of having children for several years though.
I think Kate may surprise by the fact that she does not get actively involved initially in charities etc.She has to run her own house and then go out and do charity work? Kate has to produce progeny and clean and cook in a house whilst taking the charity work and major philanthropic causes by storm?
Sounds like there might be a conflict of of interest. Personally I think that Kate will not take up causes easily. And I think this as I have observed that she has not been forthcoming about anything regarding what she may do after marriage.In fact she has been mute.Go figure.
Diana was the other extreme and Kate is the exact opposite. These two are like geopgrapgical antipodes.Really we are so close to the wedding and I hardly know anything about Kate and her interests.Beyond the facts and they are precious few I really cannot say I have made a connection with her at any level due to the abstruse messages Wills and Kate do send out.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
And I think this as I have observed that she has not been forthcoming about anything regarding what she may do after marriage.In fact she has been mute.Go figure.
Diana was the other extreme and Kate is the exact opposite. These two are like geopgrapgical antipodes.Really we are so close to the wedding and I hardly know anything about Kate and her interests.
Quote:
Really we are so close to the wedding and I hardly know anything about Kate and her interests.

IMO, William and Catherine have quite sensibly kept the press at bay. They are under no obligation to set out a "manifesto" of sorts for the rest of her life. In time, and at a pace they are comfortable with, she will undertake royal engagements, and it is through those engagements will her chosen causes and interests become clear.

Quote:
Beyond the facts and they are precious few I really cannot say I have made a connection with her at any level due to the abstruse messages Wills and Kate do send out.
What connection were you expecting to make with her? What are these "messages" that Wills and Kate are sending out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
The more you lead the press on, by allowing her to attend events other royal girlfriends never attended, the more the press says they can nose in your business.
IMO, there was nothing wrong with Kate attending various events that were important to William (including Garter ceremony, passing out at Sandhurst and the RAF Wings event). Thats what people do these days, and is perfectky accpetable at the UK. Its not that she accompanied William to the Trooping or to Ascot prior to the engagement.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
IMO, William and Catherine have quite sensibly kept the press at bay. They are under no obligation to set out a "manifesto" of sorts for the rest of her life. In time, and at a pace they are comfortable with, she will undertake royal engagements, and it is through those engagements will her chosen causes and interests become clear.

What connection were you expecting to make with her? What are these "messages" that Wills and Kate are sending out?

IMO, there was nothing wrong with Kate attending various events that were important to William (including Garter ceremony, passing out at Sandhurst and the RAF Wings event). Thats what people do these days, and is perfectky accpetable at the UK. Its not that she accompanied William to the Trooping or to Ascot prior to the engagement.
The press hardly care about them and it is not because they themselves have kept them at bay.You assume by that Kate will let us know in due course... And ask what I expect. I expect that as public figures now clear, succinct messages of what they are engaged in regarding their philanthropic obligations to the Crown.I seriously doubt that I will hear of these things after the marriage, but possibly when these two Wills and Kate are ready.By connection I mean they have not said or done anything beyond what they did previous to the betrothal.This guardedness from the big bad wolf press is getting rather tedious .Eventually they will be followed anyway. Not as vociferously as anybody else because they do have the inspirational psychological appeal; but they will have press coverage.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The press hardly care about them and it is not because they themselves have kept them at bay.
I really do not think there is a lack of press coverage in relation to William and Kate. Do you really think so?

Quote:
You assume by that Kate will let us know in due course... And ask what I expect. I expect that as public figures now clear, succinct messages of what they are engaged in regarding their philanthropic obligations to the Crown.I seriously doubt that I will hear of these things after the marriage, but possibly when these two Wills and Kate are ready.
It is not normal for members of the BRF to identfiy specific areas that they propose to support over the course of their royal careers. Like most of us, their interests and obligations evolve with time, and accordingly, so do the causes they choose to devote their time to. As I previously mentioned, it is hardly like politicians who, when standing for elections, set out a manifesto. With Catherine, her chosen charities to support will make clear her areas of interest

Quote:
And ask what I expect. I expect that as public figures now clear, succinct messages of what they are engaged in regarding their philanthropic obligations to the Crown.
Not sure I understand what you mean by the term "philanthropic obligations to the Crown", are you able to elucidate please?

Quote:
By connection I mean they have not said or done anything beyond what they did previous to the betrothal.
I suspect Catherine probably has her hands full working through the details of the wedding with the various courtiers, and spending some valuable time with her family. Things will be very different for her after the wedding.

She has undertaken one public engagement with Prince William since the announcent of the engagement, and may undertake a few more between now and the wedding. That is perfectly fine, she is not a full time working member of the royal family just yet.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Is it really good for Catherine to decide already on potential spheres of interest?

It's not as if there would be a shortage of good causes, but the opposite - for every good cause, there are probably another hundred or more, waiting for a patron.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Nobility

I think Kate was very discreet over the past 8 years. She has never pushed herself forward, and gave up trying to have a job in the 'public' sector. She had to revert to working for her family's business, as that could be done out of the media glare, while still allowing her time to join William when he had holidays, etc.

She is educated to university standard and seems to be pretty intelligent - always a good quality to bring into any family's gene pool. I am quite sure that she will pick up a few 'good works' soon after they marry, and that these will increase as time goes by. Don't forget - she is marrying the second in line to the throne, not the heir, as Diana was. This entitles her to be a little less involved while she is finding her feet and, hopefully, producing more heirs!!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The press hardly care about them and it is not because they themselves have kept them at bay.You assume by that Kate will let us know in due course... And ask what I expect. I expect that as public figures now clear, succinct messages of what they are engaged in regarding their philanthropic obligations to the Crown.I seriously doubt that I will hear of these things after the marriage, but possibly when these two Wills and Kate are ready.By connection I mean they have not said or done anything beyond what they did previous to the betrothal.This guardedness from the big bad wolf press is getting rather tedious .Eventually they will be followed anyway. Not as vociferously as anybody else because they do have the inspirational psychological appeal; but they will have press coverage.

I truly do not understand why anyone in the general public should expect to "know" Kate. The only people that "know" her is William, her family and her close friends. Everything else is gossip and speculation. She isn't going to lay out an agenda for the next decade detailing her plans for her life and work, nor is she going to invite the media to tea to chat about "who" she is.

She isn't going to be sitting around cleaning, cooking and watching soap operas all day at the farm house waiting for William to come home from work. She will be going through extensive training in public speaking, interviews, Royal protocol, etc... She is certainly doing some of that now, however she will need much more after she is married. She will be shadowing William in a supportive role with his duties to learn the ropes and get comfortable in her new role...just as Camilla did with Charles. When she is ready, she will forge her own path.

It would be nice if in the meantime people back off of these unreasonable expectations and allow her time to develop her own role.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Royal Highness

She has been engaged for only 4 months and I suspect has spent the last 8 years in a strange position- private citizen but also public girlfriend- before the engagement she couldn't do anything official because she had no official role within the BRF so maybe it'll take her awhile to get her footing and i for one am willing to give her more than 4 months to get into the swing if things and her role.....but that being said I do expect her to fall into her duties, whatever they might be after she marrys- in a way she is going have to learn to embrace her public role.... Just my thoughts
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

Curious, when did it start that Royals did charity gigs, became patrons and all? How far back does it go? Who started it? For sure Queen Victoria didn't do that - and I don't think her children did, either. Am I right or wrong on that?

This may be a question for another thread - if so, please redirect. Its just as I was reading this thread it occurred to me - when were the 'roles' defined in this way? Seen as their 'duty', their 'job', etc.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I truly do not understand why anyone in the general public should expect to "know" Kate. The only people that "know" her is William, her family and her close friends. Everything else is gossip and speculation. She isn't going to lay out an agenda for the next decade detailing her plans for her life and work, nor is she going to invite the media to tea to chat about "who" she is.

She isn't going to be sitting around cleaning, cooking and watching soap operas all day at the farm house waiting for William to come home from work. She will be going through extensive training in public speaking, interviews, Royal protocol, etc... She is certainly doing some of that now, however she will need much more after she is married. She will be shadowing William in a supportive role with his duties to learn the ropes and get comfortable in her new role...just as Camilla did with Charles. When she is ready, she will forge her own path.

It would be nice if in the meantime people back off of these unreasonable expectations and allow her time to develop her own role.
You've expressed my thoughts exactly!

She will need time to learn the ropes. As said by William, they are trying to learn from mistakes done in the past. One of them definitely was throwing Diana into the royal duties without previous preparation (even if she rose to the occasion).
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post

Didn't Prince Edward say when interviewed that there was definitely no training whatsoever for the job.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Curious, when did it start that Royals did charity gigs, became patrons and all? How far back does it go? Who started it? For sure Queen Victoria didn't do that - and I don't think her children did, either. Am I right or wrong on that?

This may be a question for another thread - if so, please redirect. Its just as I was reading this thread it occurred to me - when were the 'roles' defined in this way? Seen as their 'duty', their 'job', etc.
I know for sure Queen Alexandra was patron of organization. She visited hospitals etc. I would think Queen Victoria did some of that kind of thing as well. George V was president of Wimbledon when he was PoW.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Administrator

A lot of junior royals in the past were associated with charities. George III's daughters and granddaughters (particulary Mary of Cambridge who was also the mother of Queen Mary). Mary in particular despite her constant over spending was thought well by the British people because of her charitable works. Not so much with the debtors but I guess you can't have everything.

Also, I remember reading in the past that a couple of Henry VIII wives (Catherine of Aragon and Anne Bolyen) were also very charitable during their lifetimes as well.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Serene Highness

Well he was born in it, so it's easy to said that.

It is true that not every situation possible that she will encounter can be predicted, but I would think that it's always a pro to receive enough information so that she can fell more comfortable in her new role.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Didn't Prince Edward say when interviewed that there was definitely no training whatsoever for the job.
There may not have been for the Countess of Wessex since she was not marrying an heir to the throne and was not expected at the time to take on a lot of public engagements since she and Edward wanted to continue in their careers. That changed of course.

Diana did not receive any formal counseling or training because 30 years ago, it simply wasn't something the RF thought was necessary. She did receive private coaching on public speaking and media interviews as evidenced in various videos done at her home that have surfaced since her death.

William has made it clear that they don't want to repeat past mistakes (pertaining to his mother' difficulty), so he is going to make sure she is has all the support she needs. It's also been said she is currently receiving counseling on how to handle the pressures of her future position to avoid depression, and receiving lessons in etiquette and protocol. I read something about possible media training as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
A lot of junior royals in the past were associated with charities. George III's daughters and granddaughters (particulary Mary of Cambridge who was also the mother of Queen Mary). Mary in particular despite her constant over spending was thought well by the British people because of her charitable works. Not so much with the debtors but I guess you can't have everything.

Also, I remember reading in the past that a couple of Henry VIII wives (Catherine of Aragon and Anne Bolyen) were also very charitable during their lifetimes as well.
But was this charitable work considered part of the 'job' with Victoria? Did it define her 'role'? PoW and Wimbledon is just one thing, and not a charity.

I'm just tossing this out - did it start with Charles' Prince's Trust? As an expectation. Has the present Queen's children been the first generation to do this kind of 'work' across the board? Charity work.

Maybe its an unanswerable question. Not something anyone's looked at or noticed. Where is the line between visiting the wounded at the battlefield hospital and just visiting an ordinary hospital?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Royal Highness

I read it started with the Crimean War in the late 1800s. Before that well-off lades who could afford not to do their household work themselves did "gentile" work like embroideries which they normally donated to their Parish church. The wife of the vicar and the lady of the manor in a Parish took care for those in need. Some did more, others did less but there used to be a feeling of responsiblity for those depending on landowners of a Parish.

The industrial revolution changed that because more and more people came to the cities in search of work but there was no ancient system of give and take in place for those who were in need like it was at the great estates and their villages and church parishes. But the general idea was at first that those who went into towns were responsible for their own success and had to stand for themselves because they had left the dependency of life in the countryside.

That changed with the Crimean War when the women of the RF and their ladies stopped doing embroideries and started instead producing medical gauze and kniting shawls, socks etc. for the soldiers. (Look up Florence Nightingale eg.) From this point the care for the families of fallen soldiers became a topic of public interest. And so on... charities became fashionable and after a while it was deemed "ungentile" not to be interested in social causes while politics, of course, remained a male domain.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Gentry

Well I think once the wedding and honeymoon is said and done, Kate would be trained and groom to be Queen in waiting.

I don't know if this has been discussed before and if it has I apologize and feel free to move it but the pre-wedding approach to this one is eerily similar to Queen Elizabeth II's own pre-wedding preparation. They released information of the the wedding bit by bit because disapproval of her wedding against the Duke was high. It was a way of getting the public involved giving them a sense that it was their wedding too. And boy did it work like a charm!

I think the PR team for the BRF are going for the same effect with this wedding too. I think it's a great move!

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles