The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed - in fact I have no complaints about any of them.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Administrator

The Duchess of Cambridge has carried out only about a third as many public engagements as 93-year-old Prince Philip this year.
Kate, 32, who is expecting her second child in April, undertook 76 visits, meetings and receptions in 2014 following the birth of her son, Prince George.
But the Queen’s husband shouldered more than 200 engagements, despite suffering regular periods of ill health in recent years, an unofficial survey of annual royal duties by the Daily Mail shows.

Read more: Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge attends 76 public engagements while Philip is at 200 | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge has carried out only about a third as many public engagements as 93-year-old Prince Philip this year.
Kate, 32, who is expecting her second child in April, undertook 76 visits, meetings and receptions in 2014 following the birth of her son, Prince George.
But the Queen’s husband shouldered more than 200 engagements, despite suffering regular periods of ill health in recent years, an unofficial survey of annual royal duties by the Daily Mail shows.

Read more: Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge attends 76 public engagements while Philip is at 200 | Daily Mail Online

Leave it to the Daily Mail to not only be inflammatory, but to get basic facts wrong: they're writing as though William still has a full time military role

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 AM
Royal Highness

I think Kate's numbers are fine at moment considering she has a toddler and baby on the way, but the fact she never really worked before her marriage does send a red flag. I hope in few years time she is doing more

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-31-2014, 01:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm curious to see how Mr. O'Donovan's numbers will compare to the ones mentioned in the article. Based on what I'm reading, all members of the BRF seem to have "lost" engagements according to these numbers.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sure she could be doing more, but I think she's done a mighty fine job so far. Also, Rebecca English, who wrote the article, knows full well that the Duke of Edinburgh and other senior royals a great deal of responsibilities and bigger roles than the Duchess of Cambridge. It's very unfair to compare her role with the other 'full-time' royals. I just think it was unfair of Rebecca to single out Catherine when her and William's situation is pretty much well known.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Sure she could be doing more, but I think she's done a mighty fine job so far. Also, Rebecca English, who wrote the article, knows full well that the Duke of Edinburgh and other senior royals a great deal of responsibilities and bigger roles than the Duchess of Cambridge. It's very unfair to compare her role with the other 'full-time' royals. I just think it was unfair of Rebecca to single out Catherine when her and William's situation is pretty much well known.

I agree that it's massively unfair. She didn't mention William's number and he's the future king! Or Harry's.

Really poisonous piece.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-31-2014, 01:23 AM
Gentry

I must say that I like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge a lot. They come across as regal and somewhat understated. The more the public and media are almost begging the Duchess to raise her public profile, show more emotions, make a public speech, do more duties, the more I think: no. This is all because people want a new Diana, someone they can build up and break down and (the media) can make money with.
They are not the Prince and Princess of Wales yet. Once they are, they will step it up more (some people seem to can't wait for this). We should all be happy for them that they have some room now, some time in the background to raise their family and enjoy time together. William can give George and his yet unborn sibling the upbringing he never had himself, which is fantastic.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:45 AM
Serene Highness

This person that wrote this article about Catherine working, what is her agenda for doing this? Is there perhaps a bit of jealousy on her part that she isn't royal or what? Her article seems filled with non-truths and fabrication on what Catherine does and doesn't do. And can she be allowed to get away with this slander?
Old 12-31-2014, 01:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
I must say that I like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge a lot. They come across as regal and somewhat understated. The more the public and media are almost begging the Duchess to raise her public profile, show more emotions, make a public speech, do more duties, the more I think: no. This is all because people want a new Diana, someone they can build up and break down and (the media) can make money with.

They are not the Prince and Princess of Wales yet. Once they are, they will step it up more (some people seem to can't wait for this). We should all be happy for them that they have some room now, some time in the background to raise their family and enjoy time together. William can give George and his yet unborn sibling the upbringing he never had himself, which is fantastic.
I agree. I don't understand all the fuss about Catherine, especially since she will always be following William's lead. If William's numbers are low, that's the way the BRF has decided it will go for the time being. Seems clear-cut to me.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:00 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Lass View Post
This person that wrote this article about Catherine working, what is her agenda for doing this? Is there perhaps a bit of jealousy on her part that she isn't royal or what? Her article seems filled with non-truths and fabrication on what Catherine does and doesn't do. And can she be allowed to get away with this slander?
Her agenda is: always trying to create a little row to sell more newspapers.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Rebecca English knows better than to write articles like that. She knows that the other senior royal more responsibilities that's been handed down to them and they have more charitable organizations to support than Catherine.

Yes, it's true that Catherine could do a little more, she's always willing to do more. Despite her being a part-time senior royal, she was willing to go to Malta and represent the Queen. She couldn't do so because she was sick. She have a baby on the way and that will take her out of the game for a while. She has let it be known that she can do more and she enjoys it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-31-2014, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I think Kate's numbers are fine at moment considering she has a toddler and baby on the way, but the fact she never really worked before her marriage does send a red flag. I hope in few years time she is doing more

I am not sure what you mean by she never really worked before her marriage. She worked briefly at Jigsaw but more importantly worked for the family firm. i am lucky to know enough people who work for family enterprises...and l am here to tell you that they work very hard because it is the family enterprise. Yes, there are those who also don't work very hard but hey...you have both sets of workers at all types of businesses...family owned and non family owned.

Let me also say, that if I was at the point financially that I didn't have to work for a living to say eat and have a roof over my head....I wouldn't. So I don't look down on those who don't. Yes, I would probably be bored having nothing to do...but I do think I would do charity work.

Back to Catherine....much ado about nothing. We have discussed this in great detail....she has a lifetime of service...another 40 to 50 years.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 AM
Royal Highness

I too have worked in our family business so of course it can be hard. But would have liked to see her have a career that would have helped her in her new life. No need to be upset I was not putting Kate down

Old 12-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
Her agenda is: always trying to create a little row to sell more newspapers.
I agree with Arrjann- the only purpose of this article was to put the duchess on the cover and have an article with her photo ( which will atract the readers). Of course if she had had more engagements that any other member of BRF she will be called to be "pushy" and "not to know her place".
Old 12-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I do think that Kate should do more, but to compare her to the DoE is just ridiculous.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Nobility

Women are very fortunate they DONT work outside the home
Raising a family is enough...
Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Since another baby is in his/her way we cannot expect major work or important roles... the 2015 for her will be as 2013.... Probably a second nanny will be employed... No more, no less...
Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I agree. I don't understand all the fuss about Catherine, especially since she will always be following William's lead. If William's numbers are low, that's the way the BRF has decided it will go for the time being. Seems clear-cut to me.

I believe it's because she is the one people most want to see.
They want to analyze her expressions, her posture, her hair...and above all what she is wearing!

People sometimes complain that she and her family are always in the papers for what really amounts to non-stories, BUT.

Who is it who gets all the comments?

(That seems to be true even in this forum, judging by what I see).
Old 01-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Aristocracy

Kate tried to work after college, but the media coverage was overwhelming. So she went to work for her parent's company where the media coverage could be controlled.

What is wrong if Kate wants to be a wife and mother first and ahead of royal duties? William's decision to work at a job instead of being a full time royal also seems to be supported by the Queen and Prince of Wales.

As for those who feel that this failure to work for the family firm 24/7 will led to the of the British monarchy, in 10-15 years what the couple did today will be a non-issue. See how quickly we forget about Kate's efforts to work after college. Same with 70 royal functions in 2014.

This couple has the luxury of living their lives outside the family firm because William is 3rd in line. When Charles becomes king, William and Kate's lives will change. I am sure they both are fully aware of that. So I am fully in Kate's corner for focusing on being a mother now, while she can.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles