The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

The idea of Catherine stepping up a little more with her royal duties really have nothing to do with her raising her family. She's got the private time to do that and no one is suggesting that should be disrupted. I think all we're saying is that her and William could do a few more official engagements. Her royal role is growing and more responsibility is coming down to her. The Queen sending her to Malta on her behalf suggests that she's now taking on more important roles as a senior member of the royal family. It's time for that to happen and that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Yes, younger members of the royal family sell well. That will happen regardless, so everyone just have to get used to it. The royals and the media need each other. The relationship hasn't been easy but they must have a professional relationship.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen sending her to Malta on her behalf suggests that she's now taking on more important roles as a senior member of the royal family. It's time for that to happen and that's just how the cookie crumbles.
I agree, Its the Queen responsibility, if the Queen had decided to send Harry to Malta instead there is nothing Catherine can do about it though. The Queen decides the timeline not Kate.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Exactly!

Bottom line, Kate is more photogenic than most of the other Royal ladies, and people want to look at her, note what she's wearing, and either admire or denigrate it. That's where the interest lies, imo, and that is what the press wants to see.

Even Pippa, who is only a connection of the RF, gets loads of media coverage, for much the same reasons. It's all about what the public finds interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
As long as its recognised for what it is. What gets me is the faux outrage in certain quarters that Kate is somehow not pulling her weight when she does exactly the same amount as either William or Harry.
Actually, the "faux outrage" is largely on the web based forums than the press. Few articles in the serious press have made a negative comment on the topic.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if Kate has ever said, wistfully, to HM - "I really would like to do a few more engagements." Really, I can't stop laughing.

Anyway, I'm going to say that I'm glad Kate isn't exposing herself to the public right now. So many deadly "bugs" available to us all. With the pregnancy, I'm glad she's staying home.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I agree, Its the Queen responsibility, if the Queen had decided to send Harry to Malta instead there is nothing Catherine can do about it though. The Queen decides the timeline not Kate.
I think the Queen is giving Catherine the recognition and responsibility of a senior member of the royal family and she know it's time for the Duchess to do more. There will be more duties for her to do.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

If the Queen ran the Firm based on who one is married to or one's place in the line of succession then people like the Kents and Gloucesters who are in the 30s and 40s in the line of succession would have been sent out to pasture already.

This notion that somehow only Charles, William and Kate are senior royals and everyone else irrelevant doesn't play out in real life.

Maybe under Charles the lineal line will come to the fore but the Queen obviously doesn't work that way or we would see Beatrice and Eugenie at sixth and seventh in line and the only two blood princesses of their generation as working royals and not the Kents.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If the Queen ran the Firm based on who one is married to or one's place in the line of succession then people like the Kents and Gloucesters who are in the 30s and 40s in the line of succession would have been sent out to pasture already.

This notion that somehow only Charles, William and Kate are senior royals and everyone else irrelevant doesn't play out in real life.

Maybe under Charles the lineal line will come to the fore but the Queen obviously doesn't work that way or we would see Beatrice and Eugenie at sixth and seventh in line and the only two blood princesses of their generation as working royals and not the Kents.
No one said that Charles & Camilla, William & Kate are the only senior royals. The Queen gave Catherine the honor of representing her in Malta and since Catherine couldn't go, William went in her place. Yes, Catherine seniority is next to Camilla and the Queen but she isn't the only senior royal.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Nobility

I would like to see the Queen's cousins all retire, so that the Cambridges and Harry can take on more of the royal burden.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I would like to see the Queen's cousins all retire, so that the Cambridges and Harry can take on more of the royal burden.
This will happen in time. Everybody's pretty happy the way things are and things are running pretty smoothly.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Oh good! I was wondering when the 2079th installment of this argument was going to come up! 😜
Just wait until tomorrow when it will hit 2080. Of course I'll be part of it.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Courtier

Catherine, William, and Harry are bench players. I get that they are attractive and people want to gape at them, maybe put them on their screen-savers. But they won't be utilized until one of the older members retires/dies. The funding isn't there, the need isn't there.

If The Duke of Kent had died last year due to his stroke, I bet Catherine would have picked up his engagements/duties/funds. Thankfully, The Duke of Kent is still here, and Catherine is still on the bench waiting for the Grim Reaper to open a position.

So what should we do in the meantime?

Our macabre members might want to start a Prince Philip death watch. Report back when he gets glassy-eyed and lethargic. Or when he clutches his left shoulder during a walkabout. Non-macabre members might want to appreciate the older royals while they're still here, instead of craving the beauty of youth.

I hope we all have a long wait.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Aristocracy

The Kents and Glouchesters will continue to represent the Queen in turn they get cheap rent at KP. But their public duties and roles will end with them. Their children are private individuals who will be seen at royal weddings and funerals. Charles is going for a lineal line because the costs come out of his pockets, so he is not going to foot the bill for Eugenie and Beatrice to represent the crown. As much as many on this board want to see the princesses representing the Queen in various engagements, it does not appear that anyone in BP has such plans for them.
It is probably about the money, but maybe Charles and the Queen want the girls to be able to have a private life.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Catherine, William, and Harry are bench players. I get that they are attractive and people want to gape at them, maybe put them on their screen-savers. But they won't be utilized until one of the older members retires/dies. The funding isn't there, the need isn't there.

If The Duke of Kent had died last year due to his stroke, I bet Catherine would have picked up his engagements/duties/funds. Thankfully, The Duke of Kent is still here, and Catherine is still on the bench waiting for the Grim Reaper to open a position.

So what should we do in the meantime?

Our macabre members might want to start a Prince Philip death watch. Report back when he gets glassy-eyed and lethargic. Or when he clutches his left shoulder during a walkabout. Non-macabre members might want to appreciate the older royals while they're still here, instead of craving the beauty of youth.

I hope we all have a long wait.
Also the DoE and Princess Alexandra were facing health concerns in 2013. Had they passed away or needed to retire due to ongoing health issues, then I believe that William, Kate and possible Harry would have received instructions from HM to join the ranks as full royals. Fortunately they appear to have made good recoveries and are able to continue with their royal duties for as long as they wish.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I kind of think they should be; let's face it, they could all stroll down the street unnoticed and unrecognized!

I think they still get G&F housing because the Queen promised it years ago. But I think they are so obscure that few people would recognize them if they weren't identified.
It's past time they retired, imo.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Royal Highness

I disagree with the argument that there is not enough money for William and Catherine.

The theory that a member of the RF has to die or retire to make room for W&K is absurd.

If Sophie & Edward can increase their number of royal engagements then there is enough money for William and Catherine.

The money spent on Sophie's and Edward's royal engagements can be used for W&K's engagements. If William was actually willing to become a full time royal then Sophie did not have to increase her number of engagements this year,

It is less expensive to send William or Catherine on a day trip to Kent than to Australia. (A trip IMO, that could have been more compact.)

The argument that W&K are only the heir to heir/spouse and are not in the same league as other crown prince/ss also doesn't hold up.

William and Catherine are in their 30s. If they have to wait until the Queen dies in another 10-15 years then they will be in their mid 40s.

Catherine's less than ideal work history works against her. To wait until she is in her mid 40s before she starts working part time will not go over well with people who have been working full time since age 21 or so. As a full time royal she will probably only work about 100-150 days a year. Most people work at least 200-250 days a year.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

What makes you think she would only do 100-150 engagements as a full-time royal.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:27 AM
Aristocracy

The expenses for William, Kate and Harry's royal engagements are covered by Charles. Maybe he doesn't want to fund William and Katherine making 200-250 engagements a year. The media makes a big deal on the cost to citizens of the royal appearances.

Who knows the reasons that the queen's grandchildren are not full time royals. But she must be okay with what they are doing and the extent of their royal duties.

If the Queen wanted William and Katherine to become full time royal making 200 engagements a year, then they would be out and about. But apparently she doesn't see the need.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 10-16-2014, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
The expenses for William, Kate and Harry's royal engagements are covered by Charles. Maybe he doesn't want to fund William and Katherine making 200-250 engagements a year. The media makes a big deal on the cost to citizens of the royal appearances.

Who knows the reasons that the queen's grandchildren are not full time royals. But she must be okay with what they are doing and the extent of their royal duties.

If the Queen wanted William and Katherine to become full time royal making 200 engagements a year, then they would be out and about. But apparently she doesn't see the need.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
The choice will have to be made by the Cambridge's. The Wessex's made this same choice during the Queen's Golden Jubilee. William & Catherine will likely be welcomed and funded if they came to that choice. It shouldn't take anyone to become sick for them to reach that decision.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-16-2014, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Cambridge Duties and Roles

The Queen pays for the royal activities of everybody but Charles and his family. The income from the Duchy of Cornwall pays the Wales and Cambridges. Also when a royal goes on tour to a Commonwealth realm such as Canada or Australia etc. The realm being visited pays for it. The 500K was a bargain for WK&G visit to Australia. Oprah visiting cost the Aussie taxpayer 2.3 million.

We know what William is doing for the next 2 yrs with the approval of the Queen and the Prince of Wales. Kate is sick and the sickness could last through her entire pregnancy. She got better with George but that isn't a guarantee that she will for this one. Why don't we worry about her workload this time next year.

Can't we also please stop comparing people to other people. Life is not fair. Sometimes a person is born to be a King in the UK, or you are born in a slum in India, or you are born in a middle class family in the US or you are born in a rich family in South America. All these people are going to have different lives and different hardships and they aren't going to be the same hardships.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

That's a very good point about Charles covering William, Kate and Harry's expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I go back to the point I made yesterday. A young picturesque Catherine on a cover sells a lot more magazines than a 60-something Camilla. The noise about Catherine's lack of engagements from some sections of the media is really driven by that, IMO.

Also, as far as internet forums go, a lot of people like to see Catherine, her clothes and jewels, and dissect them extensively. Clear a lack of public engagements leaves an awful lot of people with relatively little to comment on, and hence, the negative commentary.
Yeah, some of the media complaints do seem to be driven by the fact that the Cambridge's sell. I just read an article about the Press Association, and they stated that George's birth was the biggest story for them in 2013. And Kate is ranked number 4 for all time People magazine covers. So the press definitely benefits when the Cambridge's are out and about.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles