The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Now William & Catherine is participating in their first UK State Visit. I think the more responsibility handed down to them is for the better. They are needed and I've seen more evidence to support it.
> Prince William participated in the visit of the President of South Korea as well. From memory, he took the President to the unveiling of a memorial statue.

> The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also met with President Obama and his wife when they were in the UK on a state visit in 2011, shortly after the royal wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the more responsibility handed down to them is for the better. They are needed and I've seen more evidence to support it.
What evidence might that be?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Well put.

The fact is that the media like to see a young, photogenic couple about. Their pictures on the covers of magazines and newspapers sell magazines, hence the litany from certain sections of the medial. Outside of parts of the media and some posters on internet forums, I don't seem to sense a groundswell of popular discontent in the UK about the lack of public engagements by W&C.

If the Queen and the PoW are content with the current level of work W&C do, IMO, who are we to comment?
Other than the royal spin machine, how do you know this?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

There are many reasons the Queen is limiting William's engagements. There are first and foremost issues around funding. Charles foots a large chunk of the bill for W&K's public life and money is tight.

Another reason is the Queen may think William should wait his turn, he is after all in the third generation of the Firm.

He is serving his country in a real and tangible way flying an air ambulance.

I know one thing is clear, William respects both his father and his Queen. He has and always will do whatever is required of him and IMO its pretty shabby that he gets thrown under the bus by certain people in order to push their own favourite royal's profile.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar
But let's be real. Pretty much none of the royals work hard, yet I see Mary or Letizia (or insert favorite royal), routinely praised for all their hard work. These people do 2 hours of engagements and then they go home to their mansions with their butlers, nannies, cooks and all of their other help. I guess for some reason it makes people feel better to see them out and about daily. It gives the illusion that royals work, but in no way do these people truly know the definition of hard work.

Most of them don't work hard, I agree with this. I also agree that for the most part, their "work" is an illusion - they're hardly saddled with any of the obligations most of us have at our jobs.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Courtier

Catherine can't help her health. Well at least its nothing like Queen Victoria not being seen for years in public.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Other than the royal spin machine, how do you know this?
I don't. I have had no direct contact with any senior member of the BRF, just as most of the posters on this forum. This is purely conjecture.

However, (and once again, based purely on conjecture) if HM and the PoW did want the couple to carry out more engagements, it can be a reasonable assumption that their command would be carried out. Even a petulant and self-destructive Diana knew she could only push HM so far.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Majesty

well letizia works pretyt much IMO! We can see her every day! and doing even 3 egagements per day... Yes, she is the queen but she worked a lot even before...
Old 10-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
Quote:
But let's be real. Pretty much none of the royals work hard, yet I see Mary or Letizia (or insert favorite royal), routinely praised for all their hard work. These people do 2 hours of engagements and then they go home to their mansions with their butlers, nannies, cooks and all of their other help. I guess for some reason it makes people feel better to see them out and about daily. It gives the illusion that royals work, but in no way do these people truly know the definition of hard work.

Most of them don't work hard, I agree with this. I also agree that for the most part, their "work" is an illusion - they're hardly saddled with any of the obligations most of us have at our jobs.
I think this is where much of the vitriol lies - the underlying message bandied about is that the royals are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and then when you couple it with the notion that they are hardworking, I think that most of the vitriol against this couple is really directed at their fan base rather than them. Obviously their roles in this world are different than the average pencil pusher - but the celebration of these two as some sort of demi-gods is what starts the backlash.

Obviously, Kate cannot work at the moment, but during those times when she could, she hardly did.

As for the fact that the Firm did not expect the Cambridges to take on a more royal role, I look at the evidence of the readying of KP, then we suddenly had the gap year, then suddenly Will was back to flying. I don't think this was the Firm - I think this was Will. I am not judging Will's decision, but the idea that the Queen and Charles are completely on board with Will's ideas or that the Queen rules the roost is belied by the events of the last 14 months. Even George's christening was a small, subdued affair when compared to other family gatherings - which the Queen is said to love.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think this is where much of the vitriol lies - the underlying message bandied about is that the royals are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and then when you couple it with the notion that they are hardworking, I think that most of the vitriol against this couple is really directed at their fan base rather than them. Obviously their roles in this world are different than the average pencil pusher - but the celebration of these two as some sort of demi-gods is what starts the backlash.

Obviously, Kate cannot work at the moment, but during those times when she could, she hardly did.

As for the fact that the Firm did not expect the Cambridges to take on a more royal role, I look at the evidence of the readying of KP, then we suddenly had the gap year, then suddenly Will was back to flying. I don't think this was the Firm - I think this was Will. I am not judging Will's decision, but the idea that the Queen and Charles are completely on board with Will's ideas or that the Queen rules the roost is belied by the events of the last 14 months. Even George's christening was a small, subdued affair when compared to other family gatherings - which the Queen is said to love.

very well put! I agree with almost everything
Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
Quote:

I tend to disagree..... you only see the number of "pure" Engagements. But: there is much preparation to them - and this is not only a Dress and a coiffure. They Need to learn Details about the upcoming Events in order to "ask the right questions". Apart from that there is a lot of desk work to do as well..... answering tons of letters etc.

But I agree, there seems to be harder and less hard working Royals. Letizia or Maxima or Victoria or Mary surely are harder working ones.....
BYe Bine
Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
well letizia works pretyt much IMO! We can see her every day! and doing even 3 egagements per day... Yes, she is the queen but she worked a lot even before...
3 engagements amounts to about 3 hours of work. Sorry but that's hardly a lot.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
3 engagements amounts to about 3 hours of work. Sorry but that's hardly a lot.
You can't say that Kate works like Letizia, Mary or Maxima, not at all! This is pretty evident!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

What evidence does the readying of KP provide? If William does nothing until he becomes king he was always going to have both a London residence as well as a country home.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The Cambridge threads are just bizarre. I've never witnessed more people claim to have no interest in a couple and yet constantly comment on all things Cambridge.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
There are many reasons ysrthe Queen is limiting William's engagements. There are first and foremost issues around funding. Charles foots a large chunk of the bill for W&K's public life and money is tight.

Another reason is the Queen may think William should wait his turn, he is after all in the third generation of the Firm.

He is serving his country in a real and tangible way flying an air ambulance.

I know one thing is clear, William respects both his father and his Queen. He has and always will do whatever is required of him and IMO its pretty shabby that he gets thrown under the bus by certain people in order to push their own favourite royal's profile.
I think the issue about funding is crucial. It costs a lot of money to fund royal events.

the Queens annual income is spent up with her own work, the running of the royal household and maintaining royal buildings, including BP, Windsor, the private buildings of KP etc. She is using her private income to fund royal duties carried out by Glos Kents etc.

Charles puts the majority of his income into his charitable causes. In order to fund William and Catherine working full time,this would be reduced. What is the point of that? Give less to charity in order to pander to ££ hungry media?

BRF are carrying out c3500-4000 events a yr. No one currently carrying out royal duties looks as if they are giving them up any time soon - and why should they? Just so some people get to see Catherine instead? That smacks of ageism and disloyalty - HMQ doesnt do that.

Catherine is part time; he is going to fly an air ambulance thus serving the public. There is no point in comparing them with any other royal couple because their position is unique.

And Ive thought about William waiting his turn - that makes sense and is probably why these decisions have been made.

The only thing I really think was a mistake is the "year off" plus its mismanaged announcement. Truly a big mistake.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

During his "year off" he did over 130 engagements and a major royal tour down under.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
> Prince William participated in the visit of the President of South Korea as well. From memory, he took the President to the unveiling of a memorial statue.

> The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also met with President Obama and his wife when they were in the UK on a state visit in 2011, shortly after the royal wedding.

What evidence might that be?
Yeah, but they didn't fully participate in those State Visits. They are taking a much more important role in the Singapore State Visit but we're told they won't go to the State Banquet.

The evidence is that they are needed for State events and royal tours. They attended their first reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps, the Queen is sending the younger royals abroad for special events and they will now take a major role in welcoming the Head of States on State Visits. William & Catherine are needed and they should be seen helping the elderly Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. It's not just about wanting to see them on magazine covers and tons of pictures of them. It's about them being seen performing official duties more often and not disappearing for weeks and months at a time.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
During his "year off" he did over 130 engagements and a major royal tour down under.
He is half of those engagements were overseas (more or less). In the Uk there is a perception that he is lazy nd/or avoiding royal life. The year off story was not well managed with the Uk media.

Back to Catherine. If posters are going to make comparisons, these should be done by role. So valid to see how Letizia is doing v Maxima or Matilde as they are 3 new Queens. Could compare HMQ with K Harald or Margarethe as long term monarchs. Fair to compare Mary with Mette-Marit as CPs.

Cambridges are not undertaking any of those roles.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think the issue about funding is crucial. It costs a lot of money to fund royal events.

the Queens annual income is spent up with her own work, the running of the royal household and maintaining royal buildings, including BP, Windsor, the private buildings of KP etc. She is using her private income to fund royal duties carried out by Glos Kents etc.

Charles puts the majority of his income into his charitable causes. In order to fund William and Catherine working full time,this would be reduced. What is the point of that? Give less to charity in order to pander to ££ hungry media?

BRF are carrying out c3500-4000 events a yr. No one currently carrying out royal duties looks as if they are giving them up any time soon - and why should they? Just so some people get to see Catherine instead? That smacks of ageism and disloyalty - HMQ doesnt do that.

Catherine is part time; he is going to fly an air ambulance thus serving the public. There is no point in comparing them with any other royal couple because their position is unique.

And Ive thought about William waiting his turn - that makes sense and is probably why these decisions have been made.

The only thing I really think was a mistake is the "year off" plus its mismanaged announcement. Truly a big mistake.
Perhaps I'm the only one who think some of those funds should be provided for the Cambridge's.

I agree, The "year off" wasn't managed very well. I'm now going to direct my comments to the right forum.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Dman I don't understand. One post you say its up to the Queen to give them more responsibility and then in a different post you blame W&K the Queen isn't giving them more to do.

Again I get very sceptical when W&K get singled out from the entire family as the only people not doing what they're told. Everyone from Charles to Prince Michael of Kent listen to the Queen but not William.

Harryites and republicans pushing their agenda.

Why does Kate get compared to current Crown Princesses and Queen consorts when Britain already has a Queen consort in waiting in the name of Camilla.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles