The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Virtually all public figures have people who search the internet regularly for what is being said about them, especially when their life is dependent on public opinion, or at least to watch out for threats. They are aware of what is being said.
Not likely. If they have high-end security, maybe the security personnel are informed. Otherwise, no person wants to know any of this stuff. I believe Prince Charles, for an example, does not read his bad press, though the Queen apparently reads hers, or the BRF's. Could be misinformed on this.

I could see the Queen being briefed on the 'lay of the land', the public mood, as well as Charles, and so by extension William and Harry, but that is very different from the internet and very, very unlikely that they are going down that rabbit-hole.

JMO.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Unfortunately a lot of royal point scoring happens online with various blogs and forums. The Duchess of Cambridge isn't just well known in Britain, she's a worldwide phenomenon and this brings out the worst in a lot of people.

I notice this quite a bit with online comments. The people most critical of Kate usually also happen to be fans of a royal other than Kate.

For better or worse Kate gets more press in a month than the crown princesses of Europe combined get in a year and it seems to lead to resentment against Kate. Its like being the prettiest girl at school, all the other girls hate her.

The same happens with William. Look closely and most of the people criticising him are also big fans of Harry or sometimes Charles and for some perverse reason love to drag William down.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
For Will and Kate to be more popular than the Queen is alarming - no matter what one may think of William, given Her Majesty's years of service. It confirms for me that these are nothing more than shallow opinions based on youth and beauty and not on actual fact. Give it 10 more years and we'll see who's at the top of the popularity contests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Amen, GG

If that poll is correct it's not only disturbing, it's offensive. Other than youth, there is no advantage William and Kate have over QEII. She has dedicated herself body and soul to Britain and the Commonwealth for two thirds of her life, through the example of sacrifice and duty.

William and Kate have simply accomplished a lovely wedding and an adorable baby, by comparison.

Every positive feeling I have about Britain is somehow connected to their monarch. W/K have nothing to do with it.
This has been discussed here several times before.
Most polls from 2002 until Williams engagement in 2010 showed that The Queen despite her age was the most popular member of the royal family. Most of these polls were performed during the golden jubilee and 80th birthday celebrations. In recent years, polls have shown that The Queen and William are the most popular members of the royal family, but the important thing is that HM, Charles and William have approval ratings that politicians can only dream of.

The Queen is most admired person in Britain says poll

Diamond Jubilee: satisfaction with the Queen and Prince Charles has never been so high - Telegraph

Queen satisfaction level among UK public is at record high as 90 per cent think she's doing her job well | Mail Online

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net...-AW_fullPR.pdf

80% of Britons back the monarchy | London Evening Standard

BBC NEWS | UK | Poll respondents back UK monarchy

Quote:
Another poll 27 july 2013 / ComRes survey for the Sunday Telegraph found. 26 percent said the Queen was the member of the Royal family the most admired, making her the most popular royal, 19 per cent said the Duke of Cambridge, 17 per cent said Prince Harry and 12 per cent the Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
we will have to agree to disagree.

1. It's highly subjective to say that William seems disinterested when he attends engagements. That hasn't been my experience or opinion at all.

2. It doesn't seem far-fetched to say that William isn't being given the time for his family when you cite the time that his grandmother and father have been given--and that when both his grandmother and father were next in line to the throne.

3. IMO more time away from the constant media attention of the full-time royal status will give them more time to build their family.
Agree. I don't see why it's far-fetched to believe the Queen and PC are giving him time with his family. They too were given time.

I also don't think William seems disinterested at engagements. From the photos and videos I've seen of him, he is very interested in the people he meets. Speaking of which, those who actually interact with him, say that he's very engaging and involved.

By the time William is Charles' age, I'm sure he'll have achieved quite a bit. Charles didn't come into his own overnight, it took time. I was reading an old People article (from the 80's), and it talked about how Charles was struggling to find something to do while he waited. The article even talked about how there was criticism because some didn't think he was doing enough.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
...In recent years, polls have shown that The Queen and William are the most popular members of the royal family...
Those articles are not current and nothing can be based on them. Likes and dislikes change with the wind.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Those articles are not current and nothing can be based on them. Likes and dislikes change with the wind.
This was in response to two posts, as you probably saw. The support for the monarchy and the royal family is very stable, that was what I wanted to show with these articles. Many of these polls is relatively new. I do not bother to discuss this too.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, sorry. Sometimes I am too far into data for my own good. I was just looking at the graph dates.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is there any reason to quote long posts only to leave a one sentence comment?
William and Kate are popular because they R young, she is new, and she is pretty; it's not based on much foundation. To be honest the whole idea of monarchy today is just a beauty pageant that lasts for life; smile wave smile and wave.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Nobility

This is very true, and the 3 abdications in Europe for younger, more glamorous couples shows this. It is disappointing that our future Queen (and to an extent, King) seems to be more interested in photo opportunities and looking flawless than real hard work. Princess Anne and the Queen are the role models Kate should aspire to be like.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

You have to remember that Princess Anne carry out a great deal of engagements due to her given a great deal of responsibility on top of her own patronages and organizations. The Queen, Prince Philip and the late Queen Mother passed down some of their workload and charitable patronages to Anne. Once The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret died, a lot of their work was split up between the Queen's children and more was added on their plate.

No much responsibilities are being passed down to the younger royals. A few things here and there but not on the level of Princess Anne's workload. It will take years for the Cambridge's to get to that level and that's only if they're are willing to take on that much. Princess Anne takes on what she prefers to do.

Catherine could do more and she will. She knows it's her duty to help carry one the workload of the Monarchy in which she'll someday be sovereign of.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate -Not the sovereign. Wife and mother of sovereign. Small Typo :)

The amount of royal work that Kate and William do is only going to go up as the years go on. Right now her focus in on George. In ten years, George and possible siblings will be in school and Kate will most likely doing several hundreds of engagements as Princess of Wales.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Majesty

Short, sweet, and to the point. I'm in agreement .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Courtier

It is interesting that the announcement of Williams plans said nothing about what Catherine was planning to do. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
It is interesting that the announcement of Williams plans said nothing about what Catherine was planning to do. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
I think you just answered your own question there...
Old 08-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

Can we just let tempers cool and knock it off with the insults-on both sides?

Also, can we close this thread for a while, until there's more news? This thread is becoming (a) repetitive, (b) filled with aggression, (c) filled with passive aggression, (d) increasingly dominated by wild speculation.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post

I'm going to assume she is going to be doing the same thing she's always done. Stay home and infrequently go out and do her duties.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm going to assume she is going to be doing the same thing she's always done. Stay home and infrequently go out and do her duties.
I think there will be some announcements on some roles and duties for her as well.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
And have another baby. I agree with casualfan - since no one is convincing anyone else, can we dial down the hyperbole a bit? Yes I know I can hit the ignore button, but in general, I like to hear everyone's point of view. Just maybe not over and over or in what seems to be a strident POV. We are just expressing opinions, after all.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
And have another baby. I agree with casualfan - since no one is convincing anyone else, can we dial down the hyperbole a bit? Yes I know I can hit the ignore button, but in general, I like to hear everyone's point of view. Just maybe not over and over or in what seems to be a strident POV. We are just expressing opinions, after all.
Sorry off topic but where is the inglore button? I didn't know there was one
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Sorry off topic but where is the inglore button? I didn't know there was one
Under thread tools. Or click on the screen name and choose ignore. :)

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles