The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
casualfan, in theory what you are saying is true. But in practice it's a far, far different story. I have praised the DoC's many beautiful outfits. I've made comments about her adorable baby. I've expressed relief that there is an anti-Kardashian for the press to focus on. But the only time, and I do mean THE ONLY TIME I ever get a response to something I post in a Cambridge thread is when I don't express gushing admiration for them.

[...]

Frankly I am tired of it. If you or anyone else really want to see what irrational, jealous hatred of the Royals really looks like, send me a PM and I'll direct you to a couple of sites. This place doesn't even come close I assure you!

This is supposed to be a public message board with an exchange of opinions, not a fan site. There are plenty of those on the Internet for posters who are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
There are very few on this particular boarding who can even be labeled as hating on this couple. Most express disappoint and disillusion with them; but ray is s there ever anything close to hate or jealousy. [...] There is also the option of the ignore button as well.

1. No thanks - I know of these other sites, and they're horrifying examples of the gutters of humanity, so no comparison between those and this forum, for sure.

2. I've had the same experience with usually not getting a response if I post agreeing with the general consensus, but I think this has more to do with a differing opinion "sticking out" or creating more interesting conversation than anything else.

3. It's totally fair to argue that one shouldn't use personal attacks to counter someone's argument (although there's a fine line - calling out someone's blatant misinformation, meanness or wrong statements shouldn't be characterized as a personal attack, either.)

4. Trust me - I've found the ignore feature of the forum and find it very handy. 😄😄😜😜

Old 08-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
casualfan, in theory what you are saying is true. But in practice it's a far, far different story. I have praised the DoC's many beautiful outfits. I've made comments about her adorable baby. I've expressed relief that there is an anti-Kardashian for the press to focus on. But the only time, and I do mean THE ONLY TIME I ever get a response to something I post in a Cambridge thread is when I don't express gushing admiration for them.

If I say that Kate should get control of her skirt blow up issues, it's insinuated that I am jealous and what does it matter anyway since she has great legs and is wearing a thong.

If I express disappointment over what I feel is a lax attitude toward protocol, I am called "irrational" and "filled with hate" and subjected to unfunny satire by someone who fancies themselves a wit.

Frankly I am tired of it. If you or anyone else really want to see what irrational, jealous hatred of the Royals really looks like, send me a PM and I'll direct you to a couple of sites. This place doesn't even come close I assure you!

This is supposed to be a public message board with an exchange of opinions, not a fan site. There are plenty of those on the Internet for posters who are interested.
Eh...this is hardly a William and Kate thing. I know I've pointed this out before, but this kind of stuff can be found on any of the threads. I've seen posters called jealous for not praising Charlene and Albert, or called out because they don't like an outfit that the York sisters are wearing. It happens all the time, yet some only seem to have a problem when it comes to W&K's threads.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

I recall the media staking out Catherine's places of work which was a hardship for her co - workers and employer. Also there was some imitation that she either did not deserve the job or the company was courting the royals.

Much of the same happened with Sophie when she tried to continue her PR career.

European royalty seem to be able to have jobs and careers without the media following them around or questioning how or why they were hired.

as much as some appear to want Catherine to have a paying job or work some schedule of 3 days a week your guide, her role and duties will be shaped and controlled by the royal firm. Before her pregnancy there were some stories that POW was not happy with all the media attention focused on Catherine and what she was wearing, etc as distracting attention from what real work the RF was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Nobility

I really think that while Kate is still young she should find a specific worthwhile role she can fulfil, otherwise all she will have achieved in life is being a wife and mother, and Queen of course.

I have enormous respect for HM, Philip, Charles, Anne and Harry, and would be prepared to stand a whole day in the rain waiting for a glimpse of them. I wouldn't do this for the Cambridges.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I really think that while Kate is still young she should find a specific worthwhile role she can fulfil, otherwise all she will have achieved in life is being a wife and mother, and Queen of course.

I have enormous respect for HM, Philip, Charles, Anne and Harry, and would be prepared to stand a whole day in the rain waiting for a glimpse of them. I wouldn't do this for the Cambridges.

What precisely did her Majesty accomplish other than being a wife, mother and Queen?

/I say this with all due respect for HM, as that's actually quite a lot

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you!!!! I'm guessing that some/most/all of the people who continue to use the term "only" in terms of motherhood and wife not to mention being Queen, having actually done none of the above. If they have done the two former roles then I think it's sad that they place so little importance on them. I agree .... with all due respect just what has HM done other than this with exception of doing it for a very long time. It's not as if Kings and Queen are RULERs as in the past.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much" Jacqueline Kennedy
Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:

And all I have to say to this is . I'm not saying you need to praise this couple constantly, but there's no need to demean someone for being a wife and a mother. Those are very, very valuable roles, and there are plenty of women who would give an arm and a leg to be able to do those things, and only those things in life. Just because you don't think something is worthwhile, doesn't mean that it actually is.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Well the feminists can hopefully see their cause has gone a bit haywire when you now have women that choose to stay home be chastized and looked down on by other women who don't.

IMO it has not done society any good to have both parents out of the home leaving the children to their own devices.

LaRae
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Majesty

I am genuinely conflicted on the issue of Kate's work. I do feel that if a woman makes the decision to bring a child into the world, that baby should and must be her number one priority. No if's or but's.

And as someone else very correctly pointed out, the purpose of the women's movement was to give women a choice. Women who did not want to be tied to the role of housewife should feel free to pursue a career. Women who want to devote themselves to their homes and families should feel that is just as worthwhile.

But...I feel that Kate is one of the rare handful of women in the world who can do both. I don't mean pursue a career, but she has the resources to devote quality time her baby AND use her extraordinarily high profile to make a difference where she is needed in Britain.

I don't get the feeling that her charities have gotten enough of a boost from her(in the three years she has been in the BRF) in the way that they could if she would increase her workload even by a tiny bit.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

If a woman wants to be a homemaker and can afford to do so, then she should be allowed to. If a woman wants to work and has means of having her children cared for, then she should be allowed to do so.

Likewise with men, although people never seem to think that it's enough that a man be a father or a homemaker.

Kate's case is not this simple though. She did not simply marry a man, she entered into a job where there is an expectation of a certain degree of public work. She is failing to meet that expectation. If she had married the son of the younger child of the monarch, or the nephew or cousin of the monarch, the expectations of her would be very different. She would have stepped into a very different position and it would be enough that she chose to be a mother and a homemaker and nothing more. But that's not what she did. She married the eldest son of the eldest son of the monarch. She is expected to one day become the monarch's wife. As such there is a rather reasonable expectation that she do a certain amount of work.

I'm personally always a bit torn on whether or not I think Kate is meeting that expectation yet. I don't for a minute believe that her and William are doing less because the Queen and Charles have decided it, I think this is a decision on William and Kate's part that the Queen and Charles are choosing to allow. In that regards, I think they are failing to live up to expectations. They're both in their 30s and neither is new to the game - William has had literally his entire life to figure out what kind of role he wants to fulfill, and the argument that he must want to do something of worth and be simply more than a ribbon cutter is, in my opinion, extremely insulting to royals like Charles and the DoE who have done much more than this. Furthermore, while Kate is still a relatively new royal it's not like she and William had a whirlwind romance that quickly resulted in marriage. Sure she may have needed time to adjust to actually being royal instead of just being the girlfriend, but as she and William have been together for most of her adult life, I don't buy that this is nearly as much of an adjustment that people are making it out to be.

That said though, I don't believe we should ever expect Kate to do more public duties than William - not because she's a woman and a mother, but because he's the royal and she's the consort. We don't expect the DoE to do more than the Queen, Camilla to do more than Charles, Tim to do more than Anne, or Sophie to do more than Edward. Likewise, we shouldn't expect Kate to do more than William, and as long as William is acting the reluctant royal and insisting on delaying becoming a full time royal I don't think we can really criticize Kate for not becoming a full time royal herself. We may wonder what she's doing with her time, but we have no reason to expect more from her than her husband is willing to do.

I think if Kate wanted to improve her image while maintaining lower numbers she would be better to spread her events out more - rather than doing a bunch in a week then nothing else the rest of the month, do one or two a week. I firmly believe that if people saw her on a more regular basis then she could over come some of the hurdle of people only discussing what she's wearing and not what she's representing.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

I can absolutely see what you're saying, but isn't it also entirely possible that, while W and C aren't fulfilling your expectations now, they will do so in the future?

Also, isn't it possible that the Queen is allowing this because this kind of time with her young family is something she would have liked to have enjoyed, too, had it now been for the premature death of her father?

Just like Catherine is not just "any" mother, hers and William's situation is not like any other royal couple, either. They're still in the 3rd generation and could be waiting for the throne for the next 20-40 years. I guess my main point is: why begrudge them this time before the royal maelstrom?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Courtier

Basically all the carping on this forum will not change anything. They do not read this forum, so they don't hear you. If you really want to influence their actions, a well written letter to the palace would probably do more good. Here you are just letting off steam.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe the media should focus more on her charities, instead of her clothes and whether or not she looks pregnant. Kate has been very hands on with her charities, yet the media chooses to ignores it, in favor of the frivolous. How many media outlets have reported on Kate and the M-Pact program?

Kate and William will be doing royal duties for the rest their lives, so I don't see why it's a big deal for her to spend a few years as a stay-at-mom/part-time royal. I have no doubt that if William and Kate were needed, they (along with Harry) would become full-time royals.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Majesty

soapstar...I couldn't agree more about the damn media and their obsession with "bump watch" and other silliness. It's beyond degrading!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Basically all the carping on this forum will not change anything. They do not read this forum, so they don't hear you. If you really want to influence their actions, a well written letter to the palace would probably do more good. Here you are just letting off steam.
Virtually all public figures have people who search the internet regularly for what is being said about them, especially when their life is dependent on public opinion, or at least to watch out for threats. They are aware of what is being said.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Heir Apparent

William and Kate are very popular in Britain which is all that matters. The most recent example I can find is from June 15 2014

Prince William more popular than Queen - Telegraph
Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Eh...this is hardly a William and Kate thing. I know I've pointed this out before, but this kind of stuff can be found on any of the threads. I've seen posters called jealous for not praising Charlene and Albert, or called out because they don't like an outfit that the York sisters are wearing. It happens all the time, yet some only seem to have a problem when it comes to W&K's threads.

Actually it is. True there are Trolls and over zealous fans who post the same type of bitter venom fueled by jealousy/sad and twisted agenda postings/attacks on all of the other Section of TRF. No one to my memory has disputed that. But, here's the difference...

If you were to take a period of time, count up all of the postings that are nasty venom filled attacks, then split up and put all of those posts from the rest of the Board in one Category and then the Cambridge ones into another Category and look at the numbers? I am 99.9% positive there would be a very big majority result w/The Cambridge forum/thread numbers when tallied up and the comparison between the two made.

I was on my laptop at one point last night due to the iPad being charged and visited the actual TRF site for the first time in quite awhile. The non Cambridge threads looked just like it does to everyone. The Will & Kate ones though? There were more posts hidden due to me having Members on Ignore than actual posts. In fact in one of the Cambridge threads last night, there was a three page stretch I went through of there being only one or two posts on that page thanks to the Ignore feature. I also know from chatting w/some other Members on PM, I am not the only one having that experience in the Cambridge threads due to this very sad trend going on in that area of the site.

I don't think that happens anywhere else at TRF. At least not in my experience.

If you want to keep thinking this isn't a "Will & Kate issue because it happens everywhere at TRF...", that's fine and you are entitled to that opinion. It still doesn't change the reality of it taking place in the Cambridge areas at a far higher rate than the rest of the site and it's just out and out plain sad that's the case too.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 AM
Majesty

Tiggersk8, I think it's only because W/K are the most visible of the younger generation of Royals, partially due to the way the media hypes them. One media outlet recently gushed that "everyone loves Kate" as if it's an accepted fact. She is a very popular young woman, there is a lot to like about her. But to ignore the fact that there is a vocal and growing minority of discontent with her and William is just sticking one's head into the sand.

I went to the People.com website recently and was shocked. That site used to be a virtual Kate lovefest...but not anymore. So no, it's not just malcontents at TRF.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
...It still doesn't change the reality of it taking place in the Cambridge areas at a far higher rate than the rest of the site
No, I'm with you. I definitely agree that it's at a much higher rate on W&K's threads. But I wasn't really discussing that in my post. I was responding to the idea that posters can't critique W&K. I was just pointing out that there are many threads where posters get defensive about their favorite royal.

Quote:
soapstar...I couldn't agree more about the damn media and their obsession with "bump watch" and other silliness. It's beyond degrading!
It really is.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles