The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1241  
Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 44
Pre marriage jobs vary depending on the site you check , for eg some places say she was a catalogue designer , some say photographer and marketing exec . Or all of these ... it depends . We wont know if she really did these jobs or something completely different . During the engagement interview she mentions the family business so I'd say she was helping out as much as she wanted to , but it would have been nice if she made a mention of the work she did in the business without going into it too much she could have named one or two of her tasks , it would have put an end to the speculation . That was her time to speak out and she chose not to , she should have cleared her name then and there , because I know after working hard if someone said those things about me I would defend my work instantly at any chance I get , she didn't seem too keen. But we'll never know .
__________________

  #1242  
Old 08-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Let's be honest what skills does she have? Smiling and looking pretty so far. Even William is a skilled pilot seeming to use his univ degree. Even Charlene who isn't a superb role model has a skill before becoming a Princess, James and Pippa have skills as well, Kate's skill...
Catherine has pretty good 'people' skills, and I'd say it's extremely important for someone in her position. People enjoy interacting with her, and that's not something to sneeze at. I honestly wish I had her 'people' skills, and confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
This is silly...Kate doesn't need to have a specific skill although I am sure she has many. If nothing else she appears to have excellent skills at being a mother. That is the most important job a woman can do.

LaRae
Absolutely! It takes patience and dedication to be a full-time parent, and not everyone can do. Even with help, at the end of the day, that child is YOURS and therefore your responsibility. Catherine certainly understands that, and even though she has a nanny, she still takes the role of a primary caregiver. For the love, I do wish people would just see the positives, instead of always harping on the negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katemiddy View Post
Why wouldn't a woman want a career? And stay at home moms don't have the help she has.
Let me tell you something; I have a career. I'm a special education teacher, and now let me also tell you that after working with children in one form or another since the age of sixteen, I realized that the best place for me would be to stay at home, and use my skills to educate my own kids, rather than waste time with unruly kids, rude parents, and obnoxious administrators. Perhaps Catherine realized the same thing after she worked for her family, and for Jigsaw. Nothing wrong with that. I only wish that I had her resources so that I could give up my career, and put my skills to better use.
__________________

__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #1243  
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,455
Catherine worked in her family's business. Just like the Queen's children work in their family's business.

And as for how the Cambridges are living their lives right now, they have an obligation to stay married, or else there will be two generations of divorced monarchs. If it were easy to be married to a royal, then Diana, Mark, and Sarah would still be members of the family. The Queen saw her sister divorce (and live pretty unhappily ever after), and there have always been rumors that
HM and the DoE have had rocky bits in their marriage.

Another consideration is Catherine's health. She had a hard early pregnancy, and she may have another one sometime soon. They are doing what works for them.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
  #1244  
Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
What jobs did Catherine do before marrying William? I am aware she worked part-time as an accessories buyer at Jigsaw for about 12 months and I know she was a part of her family's business but I didn't know of any other jobs.



You've said this before as if it only applies to Catherine. It applies to all the Royals not just to her. They all do work behind the scenes that doesn't get reported.
I believe Catherine worked during her time at St. Andrews. Yes, she worked at Jigsaw and Party Pieces as well. She mentioned in the engagement interview that she worked hard too. So to gone on and on about her not working before her marriage wasn't true then and it's not true now.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #1245  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I think Kate might get more involved with charities regarding children such as the very ill kids handling with palliative cares... I won' say much more because every word said against them is publicly attacked



Gosh, I'd better stay away from this thread for a while
Im wondering the same as well, just leave until the anger dies down.
All members of the RF work behind the scenes, they also happen to be seen working as well. They all have at least one job, the ones who are PG royals hAve 2; the only one who consistently does as little as possible is Kate. If she took a class or gathered local children to her home to teach them art, photography, art history...or volunteered at a museum 3 days a week, it would at least be something.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #1246  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,461
Maybe there could be a separate thread...sort of Why We Love The Cambridges, or Let's Hear It for William and Catherine for posters who cannot bear seeing them criticized? Posters who aren't crazy about them could agree not to come into the thread.

I think it's unfair that some people feel intimidated, or discouraged from expressing dissenting opinions.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
  #1247  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I believe Catherine worked during her time at St. Andrews. Yes, she worked at Jigsaw and Party Pieces as well. She mentioned in the engagement interview that she worked hard too. So to gone on and on about her not working before her marriage wasn't true then and it's not true now.

Thank you for explaining Dman. BTW I asked because I genuinely didn't know, not because I was trying to be argumentative.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
  #1248  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Catherine worked in her family's business. Just like the Queen's children work in their family's business.

And as for how the Cambridges are living their lives right now, they have an obligation to stay married, or else there will be two generations of divorced monarchs. If it were easy to be married to a royal, then Diana, Mark, and Sarah would still be members of the family. The Queen saw her sister divorce (and live pretty unhappily ever after), and there have always been rumors that
HM and the DoE have had rocky bits in their marriage.

Another consideration is Catherine's health. She had a hard early pregnancy, and she may have another one sometime soon. They are doing what works for them.
I will make one post on the state of the Cambridges' marriage and one post only.

These are two people that took years and years to build up a relationship and I think over that time, they both got a very good glimpse of what life would be like married in a royal fishbowl.

Even in the strongest of marriages, there will be rocky bits. There will be "I love you but I really don't like you much right now" days and times of wanting to use the proverbial frying pan. No couple in the world is able to get along 100% of the time.

A couple's marriage is something unique just for them and only has room for two people. Unless you're one of the couple, you have no clue on the state of that marriage and like speculating on pregnancy which is also up to the couple, they're the only ones that have a clue in the world what is going on or not.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
  #1249  
Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
Is this all of a sudden the WnK marriage/relationship thread? Add that to the list of threads that should be made along with "We love Will and Kate, no dissention allowed"
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #1250  
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Im wondering the same as well, just leave until the anger dies down.
All members of the RF work behind the scenes, they also happen to be seen working as well. They all have at least one job, the ones who are PG royals hAve 2; the only one who consistently does as little as possible is Kate. If she took a class or gathered local children to her home to teach them art, photography, art history...or volunteered at a museum 3 days a week, it would at least be something.
I'm so confused by this notion that Kate doesn't work. She in fact does do royal duties. Also, she volunteers with the Scouts.
  #1251  
Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Thank you for explaining Dman. BTW I asked because I genuinely didn't know, not because I was trying to be argumentative.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

You weren't. You were asking a well thought out question about something to do about Kate's past work experience because you didn't know about it. You weren't trying to stir the pot or bring the thread down yet again by the tone of your question.

Sad how refreshing that is around here. :(

As far getting fed up w/the CC/Press Office about how they do such a....Can't use the term I'd like to use, but it's two words that begin w/the letter "p"....job of covering *all* the Royals, in this day and age there is no excuse for not doing that anymore because it's only enforcing the illusion of "lazy Royals" or "Blood suckers of Public Money who don't do enough in return". The reason Kate's getting nailed so much however is part not knowing all she's doing behind the scenes, which is the fault of how things are done CC/Press Office wise and part the Honeymoon period is officially over w/the Media and now time to attack and tear down. Which in this day of Social Media and the Net is easier to do.

Does anyone else remember seeing references to that event at that school a month ago, that the M-PACT Program came from an idea of Kate's? That was all that was said about it though and I know I was thinking "Really? Would love more info about that." We should be hearing that too, as it would certainly show Kate's has indeed been doing more than most people know, but unless there's an all mighty shake up in how things are done in the Press Office, I can't see it happening sadly.

Which means the attacks and slime shooting will continue. :(


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
  #1252  
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
Unfortunately the media/people choose not to focus on it, but yes she did help launch the M-Pact Plus Program.

Quote:
Her Royal Highness was joined by comedian John Bishop, with whom she launched the charity effort last year, and she spoke with people involved in a pilot programme for the school-based project M-PACT (Moving Parents and Children Together) Plus.

The initiative, funded by The Royal Foundation and Comic Relief, and delivered by charities Place2Be and Action on Addiction, of which The Duchess is a Patron, aims to provide early support for schoolchildren affected by a parent's drug or alcohol misuse.
Bishop said The Duchess is "genuinely committed" to the issue, and hailed the involvement of The Royal Foundation.
  #1253  
Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I will make one post on the state of the Cambridges' marriage and one post only.

These are two people that took years and years to build up a relationship and I think over that time, they both got a very good glimpse of what life would be like married in a royal fishbowl.

Even in the strongest of marriages, there will be rocky bits. There will be "I love you but I really don't like you much right now" days and times of wanting to use the proverbial frying pan. No couple in the world is able to get along 100% of the time.

A couple's marriage is something unique just for them and only has room for two people. Unless you're one of the couple, you have no clue on the state of that marriage and like speculating on pregnancy which is also up to the couple, they're the only ones that have a clue in the world what is going on or not.
Perhaps you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I think that they and the POW and HM are committed to having a strong marriage and family life and that that is reflected in how they choose to live their lives right now. I'm not speculating on an eventual pregnancy, just presuming that they will take that into account in planning how their lives are to be lived in the short-term future. I assume that they are quite happy and are planning to remain that way.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
  #1254  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 562
I find myself puzzled by all the carping about Catherine's supposed lack of work. I lived through the feminist revolution and the whole concept was supposed to give women the right to choose how to live their lives. Here so many people are criticizing Catherine and she has as much right to make her choices as anyone else. Since when does anyone get to make her choices.
  #1255  
Old 08-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Maybe there could be a separate thread...sort of Why We Love The Cambridges, or Let's Hear It for William and Catherine for posters who cannot bear seeing them criticized? Posters who aren't crazy about them could agree not to come into the thread.

I think it's unfair that some people feel intimidated, or discouraged from expressing dissenting opinions.

If the criticisms were reasonable, discussion would be much easier. (For instance, I understand the whole point about her skirt mishaps happening several times.)

But this thread (and the others for William and their residences) have contained the following whoppers and head-scratchers, among others:
- they're lazy and have openly disrespected the Queen
- they have received more property than the Queen's children and grandchildren.
- Kate has no purpose, and why would being a stay-at-home mom be considered a purpose anyway?

Some of these are ridiculous-others are completely insulting. So, for me at least, that's what I object to.
  #1256  
Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 AM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
If the criticisms were reasonable, discussion would be much easier. (For instance, I understand the whole point about her skirt mishaps happening several times.)

But this thread (and the others for William and their residences) have contained the following whoppers and head-scratchers, among others:
- they're lazy and have openly disrespected the Queen
- they have received more property than the Queen's children and grandchildren.
- Kate has no purpose, and why would being a stay-at-home mom be considered a purpose anyway?

Some of these are ridiculous-others are completely insulting. So, for me at least, that's what I object to.
Thank you for explaining the differences between actual criticism about something legitimately worrisome and the on going venom that seems to be getting worse for some reason.

Sadly, I foresee a "This is a Message Board where we're entitled to express our opinions" posting from one of those who just do not get it.
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
  #1257  
Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
If the criticisms were reasonable, discussion would be much easier. (For instance, I understand the whole point about her skirt mishaps happening several times.)

But this thread (and the others for William and their residences) have contained the following whoppers and head-scratchers, among others:
- they're lazy and have openly disrespected the Queen
- they have received more property than the Queen's children and grandchildren.
- Kate has no purpose, and why would being a stay-at-home mom be considered a purpose anyway?

Some of these are ridiculous-others are completely insulting. So, for me at least, that's what I object to.
casualfan, in theory what you are saying is true. But in practice it's a far, far different story. I have praised the DoC's many beautiful outfits. I've made comments about her adorable baby. I've expressed relief that there is an anti-Kardashian for the press to focus on. But the only time, and I do mean THE ONLY TIME I ever get a response to something I post in a Cambridge thread is when I don't express gushing admiration for them.

If I say that Kate should get control of her skirt blow up issues, it's insinuated that I am jealous and what does it matter anyway since she has great legs and is wearing a thong.

If I express disappointment over what I feel is a lax attitude toward protocol, I am called "irrational" and "filled with hate" and subjected to unfunny satire by someone who fancies themselves a wit.

Frankly I am tired of it. If you or anyone else really want to see what irrational, jealous hatred of the Royals really looks like, send me a PM and I'll direct you to a couple of sites. This place doesn't even come close I assure you!

This is supposed to be a public message board with an exchange of opinions, not a fan site. There are plenty of those on the Internet for posters who are interested.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
  #1258  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
There are very few on this particular boarding who can even be labeled as hating on this couple. Most express disappoint and disillusion with them; but ray is s there ever anything close to hate or jealousy. I could also diretc you to other sites where there is true hatred for Kate and William, I could even give names but I won't do that. There is also the option of the ignore button as well.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #1259  
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
casualfan, in theory what you are saying is true. But in practice it's a far, far different story. I have praised the DoC's many beautiful outfits. I've made comments about her adorable baby. I've expressed relief that there is an anti-Kardashian for the press to focus on. But the only time, and I do mean THE ONLY TIME I ever get a response to something I post in a Cambridge thread is when I don't express gushing admiration for them.

If I say that Kate should get control of her skirt blow up issues, it's insinuated that I am jealous and what does it matter anyway since she has great legs and is wearing a thong.

If I express disappointment over what I feel is a lax attitude toward protocol, I am called "irrational" and "filled with hate" and subjected to unfunny satire by someone who fancies themselves a wit.

Frankly I am tired of it. If you or anyone else really want to see what irrational, jealous hatred of the Royals really looks like, send me a PM and I'll direct you to a couple of sites. This place doesn't even come close I assure you!

This is supposed to be a public message board with an exchange of opinions, not a fan site. There are plenty of those on the Internet for posters who are interested.
Moonmaiden, I understand what you are saying but your last sentence should also apply to people who don't agree with the criticism. If I post something negative, someone else has the right to post that they disagree. This is an exchange of opinions.

Although some of Catherine's supporters are a bit strident, a fair review of this thread will reveal that some (not all) of her critics are pretty hostile. Those people who don't understand why she isn't willing to leave her child with the nanny should be prepared to hear from those of us who wished that we had been able to stay home with our children. It's especially galling when someone implies that she only wants to stay home because she is lazy.

The bottom line is that there is disagreement on what type of role Catherine should take on over the next few years. That is what the discussion board is about.
  #1260  
Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Balmoral, United Kingdom
Posts: 391
The Cambridges could do with evaluating the work life balance of their lives and comparing it to the general public, who do not enjoy so many perks.

I am sure any criticism will level off now William will be working again. The transition year was a bad idea.
__________________

__________________
Virtually Royalty
Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess charlene outfits princess madeleine princess madeleine hats princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion royal royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises