The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I think Kate would benefit massively from an actual job/role she could do, even just 2 or 3 days a week on a permanent basis. It would give her a sense of purpose and not be seen as just a housewife and mother. There are countless organisations and charities she could choose from.
How do we know that she needs a sense of purpose, and does not already have one? And how might a 2-3 days a week role help her achieve that "sense of purpose"?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Commoner

Pre marriage kate worked as a website designer and catalogue photographer for the family business .
She was also rumoured to partner with Emilia D'erlanger http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23...953cd4d5ee.jpg [close friend of hers and prince Georges Godmother ]to start their own interior design business together but obviously being associated with the BRF she had to be careful not to come off as a user .

Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate worked at Jigsaw as a buyer than at Party Pieces where she did the 1st birthday line and did photos. I don't think she did any webdesign.

Emilia partner wasn't Kate but Anna Sloan who also went to St Andrews with them.

http://derlangerandsloan.co.uk/

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Commoner

Yes ik , but she was interested in partnering with Emilia , but for some reason she didn't .

It wasn't Web design but catalogue design as is stated in many places ,
Quote:
Catherine was reported to have left Jigsaw in September 2007, 11 months later, allegedly to “focus on her photography.” We do know that Kate*does indeed photograph, so she may have taken a hiatus or not although it can’t have lasted long, because in 2008 she released the First Birthdays junior brand to her parents’ company. Her official biography states that “her role within the family business included catalogue design and production, marketing and photography.”
He's got her looks, thankfully.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Catalog design makes sense since its artistic while webdesign is computer coding.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

tweets:

Jordon Lee ‏@JordonLee 27 min Hopefully the Duchess of Cambridge will increase her work load when she returns from official maternity leave.

Jordon Lee ‏@JordonLee 26 min
With Letizia, Mary, Maxima and Charlene all becoming known in their fields, I hope Kate will follow suit.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
tweets:

Jordon Lee ‏@JordonLee 27 min Hopefully the Duchess of Cambridge will increase her work load when she returns from official maternity leave.

Jordon Lee ‏@JordonLee 26 min
With Letizia, Mary, Maxima and Charlene all becoming known in their fields, I hope Kate will follow suit.
There's a difference here though. All the women listed above are either consorts of the reigning head of state (King, Prince etc) or of the heirs to the throne. Their level of involvement should be compared to Queen Elizabeth or the Duchess of Cornwall. Not Kate.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There's a difference here though. All the women listed above are either consorts of the reigning head of state (King, Prince etc) or of the heirs to the throne. Their level of involvement should be compared to Queen Elizabeth or the Duchess of Cornwall. Not Kate.

Yes I know But I think that she should find her "field" too! Something in which she can develope and use her skills!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes I know But I think that she should find her "field" too! Something in which she can develope and use her skills!
I think she's making pretty good headway into establishing herself as an advocate of young people and children with working with hospices and scouts and action on addiction etc.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
She did work. She worked several jobs. One of her main jobs she had to leave because the media harassed her too much.

She worked 2 jobs, one at home one was part time. I gave made excuses when it wasn't a pattern with her, now it clearly is. Seems she hasn't worked hard since she got her degree.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Let's be honest what skills does she have? Smiling and looking pretty so far. Even William is a skilled pilot seeming to use his univ degree. Even Charlene who isn't a superb role model has a skill before becoming a Princess, James and Pippa have skills as well, Kate's skill...
Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

This is silly...Kate doesn't need to have a specific skill although I am sure she has many. If nothing else she appears to have excellent skills at being a mother. That is the most important job a woman can do.

LaRae
Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Serene Highness

I hesitate to bring this up as we have cautioned about comparisons, but what "skill" does the Duchess of Cornwall bring to the table? People have commented on how she supports Charles and makes him happy ...... couldn't the same be said of Kate for William, added to this being a mother. I have to say that I am rather stunned when I hear the phrase "just a housewife and mother". I thought the object of progress for women was supposed to allow them the freedom to do and be what they wanted IF that was financially possible for them. I get the feeling that that "freedom" is not really there in the eyes of some as the requirement seems to be to do a "real job".
Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duchess of Cornwall has no skills either but she was born of a time when women were expected to marry well and that's all. Diana did have skills Sophie did, Anne Zara, even Beatrice and Eugenie are contributing something to the world. All Kate's doe since St Andrews is follow William around, vacation with William or her family, worked part time and gotten married. Sheesh even stay at home moms do other things, volunteer in the neighborhood or at their children's school.
Again I once used the excuse that staying at home was ok, but after years an years and years or her monarch doing nothing while even William works full time it just gets irritating. Especially when even some on this board defend her by essentially relegating her to a walking womb.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I hesitate to bring this up as we have cautioned about comparisons, but what "skill" does the Duchess of Cornwall bring to the table? People have commented on how she supports Charles and makes him happy ...... couldn't the same be said of Kate for William, added to this being a mother. I have to say that I am rather stunned when I hear the phrase "just a housewife and mother". I thought the object of progress for women was supposed to allow them the freedom to do and be what they wanted IF that was financially possible for them. I get the feeling that that "freedom" is not really there in the eyes of some as the requirement seems to be to do a "real job".
Just makes me wonder if a "real job" is where one makes "good money"?

If a measure of a person's worth is by the "real job" they do and the "good money" they make, this planet has seriously gone downhill IMO.
― John Lennon
Old 08-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Aristocracy

Duchess of Cambridge: What now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsib...

Exactly what skills did Diana have when she married Charles?

Camilla raised 2 children and supported her first husband.

As Sophie discovered, trying to have a career while married to a royal got a lot of unwelcome scrutiny by the media of her clients,and allegations that she used her connections to further her clients' interests.
'

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I agree. Well said.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Let's be honest what skills does she have? Smiling and looking pretty so far. Even William is a skilled pilot seeming to use his univ degree. Even Charlene who isn't a superb role model has a skill before becoming a Princess, James and Pippa have skills as well, Kate's skill...
Good post , it's not that I want her to have a skill , but at her age especially when she married at 29 , she had time to develop a career and even though she helped at home with the business , she never tried to forge her own like pippa and james who worked/started their own business . Kate could have volunteered at sotheby or got another job that is in the art history /fashion /ID line .. idk but without william I cannot define kate at all ...

XeniaCasaraghi , I think like us a lot of people who supported kate are starting to see a pattern with her .

Quote:
Duchess of Cornwall has no skills either but she was born of a time when women were expected to marry well and that's all. Diana did have skills Sophie did, Anne Zara, even Beatrice and Eugenie are contributing something to the world. All Kate's doe since St Andrews is follow William around, vacation with William or her family, worked part time and gotten married. Sheesh even stay at home moms do other things, volunteer in the neighborhood or at their children's school.
Again I once used the excuse that staying at home was ok, but after years an years and years or her monarch doing nothing while even William works full time it just gets irritating. Especially when even some on this board defend her by essentially relegating her to a walking womb.
Yup I agree , doesnt she get bored keeping idle this long , its not a " real job " people want to see her do but they want her to show interest in more than just pleasing william .
and Camilla married later on she wasnt a young woman starying her life or in her 30s so its a different senario.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Well Kate is doing "other things". Raising George may be her main focus right now, but she hasn't stopped doing royal engagements. I get that some think she should be doing more, but let's not pretend that she isn't doing anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katemiddy View Post
Good post , it's not that I want her to have a skill , but at her age especially when she married at 29 , she had time to develop a career and even though she helped at home with the business , she never tried to forge her own like pippa and james who worked/started their own business . Kate could have volunteered at sotheby or got another job that is in the art history /fashion /ID line .. idk but without william I cannot define kate at all ...
Not every one wants a career. Some would rather be a stay at home mom (I also know some stay at home dads). I don't see a thing wrong with that. It's all about choice. The choices you make, may not appeal to someone else. It's all about making the right choice for you/your life.

Also, I don't get how working for her family isn't considered a legitimate career. Many people learn the family business and help run it, or eventually take over the day to day operations.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Commoner

Why wouldn't a woman want a career? And stay at home moms don't have the help she has.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles