The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
And to Albert and Paola too!

I think as people live longer it will be considered by all the monarchies.
True. Bea likely pointed out to her friends that the hairstylists there can replicate her signature style along with Fabiola's, Sofia's etc..I'm sure that they can do QEII's as well.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I would like to point out that it is possible to be a working mom, why are some acting like it Kate does more royal duties George will suffer? It's not like she is a surgeon or a high powered attorney. Cut a ribbon give a speech one week a month and that's all.
Well stated. William's own mother by most accounts was an extraordinarily nurturing and devoted parent. Her sons were deeply bonded to her from infancy up to her premature death. And I think no one will argue that her workload was considerably heavier than Kate's...even with two young children vs. Kate's one.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana was married to the heir, was the Princess of Wales....Catherine is not.

LaRae
Old 08-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
... William's own mother by most accounts was an extraordinarily nurturing and devoted parent. ...
Was she? Really? There might be diffrent oppinions on that account...
Old 08-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Well stated. William's own mother by most accounts was an extraordinarily nurturing and devoted parent. Her sons were deeply bonded to her from infancy up to her premature death. And I think no one will argue that her workload was considerably heavier than Kate's...even with two young children vs. Kate's one.
Actually in the beginning, Diana didn't have a lot of engagements. She didn't up her engagements until 1986 or 87 - when her kids were no longer babies. From 1981-1985 she did less than 80 engagements a year (the exception was 1983 when she did 110). I can't find info on 1986, but in 1987 she did 266 engagements and stayed in that range in '88. Between 1989-1993 her engagements were in the 300 range, then she went back down to the double digits in 1994.

There was an old People article that stated after William was born, Diana scheduled her engagements around him. She wanted to make sure that she could tuck him in at night.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^I like that she was given the time to be a nurturing mother when her boys were very young.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I like that too. I also notice that after the boys got a bit older, she gradually upped her duties. She wasn't just forced into 300+ engagements.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
My point exactly. She was much busier than Kate. She managed both sets of duties with aplomb...even when her boys were babies.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

My point..it's not her job, she doesn't need to do it.

LaRae
Old 08-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Majesty

I guess we will disagree on that Pranter. As a future queen of England and after three years of marriage into the BRF it is indeed her job and she does need to do it.

England is not Monaco, Lichtenstein or Luxembourg. It's a country with a considerable laundry list of social problems....unemployment, homelessness, and addiction among them. She is in an enviable position to make a difference. If she is to simply devote herself to her home and personal life why bother to take on any patronages at all at this point?

Old 08-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Diana wasn't much busier that Kate during the first few years of William and Harry's life. She did less less than 80 engagements. Basically around the same number of engagements that Kate has done.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Majesty

In the third year of her marriage to Prince Charles? Really? What specific year are we discussing?

Less than three months after William's birth , and only a little over a year after her wedding, she was sent alone to represent HM at the funeral of Princess Grace of Monaco btw.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I have always defended Kate when it comes to working, but I admit it's getting harder to do so. Not so much for William, to me it looks like he has been working or working toward something since St Andrews.
I agree , I am a fan so I tend to be a little more biased but , think about it she doesnt have to do the cooking and cleaning , George has a full time nanny , so what does she do all day ? Watch tv ? Lol . I would be bored out of my mind if I was as idle as she was and I'm quite a lazy person myself
Old 08-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Actually in the beginning, Diana didn't have a lot of engagements. She didn't up her engagements until 1986 or 87 - when her kids were no longer babies. From 1981-1985 she did less than 80 engagements a year (the exception was 1983 when she did 110). I can't find info on 1986, but in 1987 she did 266 engagements and stayed in that range in '88. Between 1989-1993 her engagements were in the 300 range, then she went back down to the double digits in 1994.

There was an old People article that stated after William was born, Diana scheduled her engagements around him. She wanted to make sure that she could tuck him in at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Diana wasn't much busier that Kate during the first few years of William and Harry's life. She did less less than 80 engagements. Basically around the same number of engagements that Kate has done.
Important facts. Important perspective. I find facts are more enlightening than impressions. Impressions have driven many a political career, not so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katemiddy View Post
I agree, I am a fan so I tend to be a little more biased but, think about it, she doesnt have to do the cooking and cleaning, George has a full time nanny, so what does she do all day ? Watch tv? Lol I would be bored out of my mind if I was as idle as she was and I'm quite a lazy person myself
As am I.

I am fortunate in that my career gives me enormous latitude and I have a husband who makes it possible for me to be an at-home mom even without my own work.

There is plenty to fill a day when I am on hiatus. I have no problem being indolent.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Commoner

Is this counting the tours diana did in her early years as a royal ?

I find kate is older , she is 32 not 20 yrs so it seems odd that her timetable with so much help is mostly empty .
Old 08-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

This is not a Diana thread and there is no competition going on.

Move on

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Majesty

Very true. You are right. Thanks.

I only mentioned her at all as proof that it is indeed possible to be a good mother to young children and carry out a full schedule of duties...especially when you have a considerable amount of help with your responsibilities at home.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Commoner

Exactly people are bound to wonder what someone with the resources she has is rarely seen out and about .
Old 08-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
In the third year of her marriage to Prince Charles? Really? What specific year are we discussing?

Less than three months after William's birth , and only a little over a year after her wedding, she was sent alone to represent HM at the funeral of Princess Grace of Monaco btw.
I was discussing from the beginning of her marriage until after Harry had turned 2 or 3.

Yeah, those numbers included her overseas tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is not a Diana thread and there is no competition going on.

Move on
You're right. Sorry about that.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
That excuse worked 3 years ago, now it's getting old.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles