Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows how the monarchy will operate under Charles but we definitely know how the Queen runs things.

Kate will be given responsibilities in time but the Queen isn't go to force anyone to 'retire' to make room for the youngsters. There is a reason why people like the Gloucesters and Kents are still around and hold down important positions even though they're down to close to 40th in line to the throne and that's because of loyalty.

I know this gets repeated often but Kate's time will come just like William's time will come just like Harry's time will come.

The Queen is from a different age of the world. She has an Edwardian court still heavily influenced by the memory her mother and Victorian grandmother.

And she still may reign for another decade.

I don't think anyone have to retire in order for Catherine to take on a little more responsibility. She can be appointed to some colonelcy's, take on a few more patronages and really come into her own as a senior royal without anyone having to retire. It's about Catherine's royal role growing, not about putting another member of the royal family out to pasture, lol.

Yes, we all know Catherine private time is focused on family. I just think her official roles should grow a bit. I think it's time to hand some more official responsibility down to her.

I may be odd, but I don't really see things as being "official' or done in a certain fashion like wearing opera gloves only after a few cocktails.

If it needs to be "official" and certified by the "Firm", the first and foremost person to take it up with would be Granny.

William is on record a few times stating "you don't mess with Granny".

Not our place to suggest what should be done. Someone got some good cheese to zip over to Dman?

Yes, we all know Catherine private time is focused on family. I just think her official roles should grow a bit. I think it's time to hand some more official responsibility down to her.
Her role IS growing though. They don't do more things, but they do heavier things. They have slowly intensified their commitments. Like last year, the welcoming to the state visit and this year (probably) the state banquet. Kate was also planned to do a solo tour. So they are progressing, just not in numbers. And I think that the Queen might be rather cautious in giving out a military position, I think she has been burnt by the divorces in the 90s so she's much more carefull with stuff like that I think.

This woman doesn't attend a wedding of a friend and its generated more gossip and tweets and gophers and whatever else. Anne works a full schedule for the firm.. dresses like Anne does.

All of this is media intent to incite.

We do all realize that the official bookings and things from the actual Firm are not ever made public right. They plan it.. they do it.. the public doesn't pay for it and its at their will and favor right?

What do you think they should be paid monetarily for doing this stuff and putting up with all the press? Just curious.

Last edited:
Monarchy is an institution where only the person in the top spot reaps the rewards. Constitutionally no one else matters. This creates all sorts of issues for the BRF because the Queen will probably reign for 70 plus years.

Anyway who knows what the future holds. I'm just happy for Kate. She really seems like a kind and gentle person and with Prince George running roughshod and Princess Charlotte having late nights it must be fun times at Anmer Hall.

Her role IS growing though. They don't do more things, but they do heavier things. They have slowly intensified their commitments. Like last year, the welcoming to the state visit and this year (probably) the state banquet. Kate was also planned to do a solo tour. So they are progressing, just not in numbers. And I think that the Queen might be rather cautious in giving out a military position, I think she has been burnt by the divorces in the 90s so she's much more carefull with stuff like that I think.

I really don't think her Majesty is worried about the "D" word when it comes to making colonelcy appointments. She knows Catherine will be able to handle it. The Queen is the one that gave Catherine the role of representing her in Malta.

Last edited:
I really don't think her Majesty is worried about the "D" word when it comes to making colonelcy appointments. She knows Catherine will be able to handle it. The Queen is the one that gave Catherine the role of representing her in Malta.
I mean, Malta is a one time trip. A appointment is expected to be life. Just like she's slower with giving out some orders and similar things, I think Kate's still to early in the marrigage for the Queen to give a military appointment to her. I might be fully wrong, but just a thought.

I have just read about three comments on The Daily Fail site after reading about the alleged upcoming tour and ya know what, the level of anger in just those three or so stopped me from reading anymore.

I may be odd, but I don't really see things as being "official' or done in a certain fashion like wearing opera gloves only after a few cocktails.

If it needs to be "official" and certified by the "Firm", the first and foremost person to take it up with would be Granny.

William is on record a few times stating "you don't mess with Granny".

Not our place to suggest what should be done. Someone got some good cheese to zip over to Dman?

You're correct; things won't move anywhere until Her Majesty feels it's the right time. Some people just can't get over the fact that the Queen doesn't operate like they expect. Change happens gradually, especially if one is a part-time Royal, and yet, that's unacceptable to the whiners on this board. Perhaps you and I can personally send them that cheese, with hopes of getting a bit of a break, eh :D? Like another poster pointed out, William, and Catherine are getting opportunities to do more serious engagements, but the numbers are still the same. It's quality that counts, and attending a State Banquet, going on a solo tour, a d welcoming a head of another country certainly outweigh the endless ribbon-cutting. Catherine has been in the family for a little over four years. There's plenty of time to receive colonel appointments, various orders, and responsibilities. Her job right now is to raise her children.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

You're correct; things won't move anywhere until Her Majesty feels it's the right time. Some people just can't get over the fact that the Queen doesn't operate like they expect. Change happens gradually, especially if one is a part-time Royal, and yet, that's unacceptable to the whiners on this board. Perhaps you and I can personally send them that cheese, with hopes of getting a bit of a break, eh :D? Like another poster pointed out, William, and Catherine are getting opportunities to do more serious engagements, but the numbers are still the same. It's quality that counts, and attending a State Banquet, going on a solo tour, a d welcoming a head of another country certainly outweigh the endless ribbon-cutting. Catherine has been in the family for a little over four years. There's plenty of time to receive colonel appointments, various orders, and responsibilities. Her job right now is to raise her children.

Colonelcy appointments, orders and other responsibilities takes nothing away from Catherine's focus on her raising her children. That's her private life, I'm talking about her official roles.

Colonelcy appointments, orders and other responsibilities takes nothing away from Catherine's focus on her raising her children. That's her private life, I'm talking about her official roles.

Catherine's official roles at this point in her life is exactly what the Queen wants of her. No more no less. We can question and decide in our own minds what Catherine should be accomplishing, but it really means nothing. We are not her advisor or "boss" of the firm. When the Queen decides the time is correct, Catherine and William will be told what she requires. I also believe that P Charles knows exactly the time schedule of his mother and probably has had input. I personally don't feel that Catherine and William need official roles at this time except when the Queen likes them to appear at certain functions to gradually accept something she wants them to do. She is the boss and she will decide all responsibilities and appointments. I feel that William and Catherine are doing a good job for her under her guidelines.

Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsib...

There is a limited amount of these military appointments. The British military is contracting rather than expanding so there are people already in these positions. Someone would have to give one up for some else like Kate to be appointed. Harry doesn't even have an army colonelship.

Kate may already have the family order. She has not been to an event where it would be displayed in the past couple of years.

Harry just got his first knighthood this year. Maybe Kate gets one as a 5th anniversary present. Camilla didn't get on until 7 years in.

When the Queen and Philip pass, there will be a large number of positions becoming open or changing hands as C&C move to the throne and W&K to the heir apparent

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
There is a limited amount of these military appointments. The British military is contracting rather than expanding so there are people already in these positions. Someone would have to give one up for some else like Kate to be appointed. Harry doesn't even have an army colonelship.

Kate may already have the family order. She has not been to an event where it would be displayed in the past couple of years.

Harry just got his first knighthood this year. Maybe Kate gets one as a 5th anniversary present. Camilla didn't get on until 7 years in.

When the Queen and Philip pass, there will be a large number of positions becoming open or changing hands as C&C move to the throne and W&K to the heir apparent

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Camilla received her RFO not too long after her marriage to Charles, in 2006 if I am not mistaken. She received the VO in 2012 to mark the 7th wedding anniversary. Its difficult to tell if Catherine already has the RFO, but I suspect we will find out at the state banquet for the Chinese later this year.

Duc you are aware no doubt of the origins of this list and why it is published? The role it plays regarding The State? England, unless there has been a sysmatic and/or tragic occurrence of which I am unaware, currently has no king.

I believe that there is an official list prepared by The Royal Household for The Government annually. This has to do with budgeting and I am also aware of the annual count done every year from the published Court Circular.

there is no official list. The Government grant money to the Queen and she has to work within it. If the Government ask royals to go abroad on their behalf then they contribute towards the specific costs.

the Queen pays for other royals from the Duchy of Lancaster, except PoW, Camilla, Cambs and Harry who are funded through Duchy of Cornwall.

there is a thread on this Foru, that explains it. This is off topic for this thread so apologies to all.

No of engagements has never been a criteria for funding.

There is only one boss in the British royal firm and until she has a problem with the Duchess we need not to worry. A mother of four who did not have the option of raising her own children as she may have liked is most likely delighted that Prince George and Princess Charlotte are fortunate to have mom home and not on a six month world tour.

there is no official list. The Government grant money to the Queen and she has to work within it. If the Government ask royals to go abroad on their behalf then they contribute towards the specific costs.

the Queen pays for other royals from the Duchy of Lancaster, except PoW, Camilla, Cambs and Harry who are funded through Duchy of Cornwall.

there is a thread on this Foru, that explains it. This is off topic for this thread so apologies to all.

Thank you Cepe but I believe you might find that you may be misinterpretating what I said. The rules around finances for British Royal Family are complex but I believe that the explanation you have given may not, potentially be, with the utmost respect, the clearest snap shot nor do they for instance include such delicate and complex matter of funding for buildings, upkeep, restoration etc and the fact that it is not a certainty, ever that any member of the Royal Family, the DOC included, who may or may not have a future. It could be entirely hypothetical. The British Government and indeed the British Tax Payer and/or voters may decide against a Royal family. Who knows?

Catherine's official roles at this point in her life is exactly what the Queen wants of her. No more no less. We can question and decide in our own minds what Catherine should be accomplishing, but it really means nothing. We are not her advisor or "boss" of the firm. When the Queen decides the time is correct, Catherine and William will be told what she requires. I also believe that P Charles knows exactly the time schedule of his mother and probably has had input. I personally don't feel that Catherine and William need official roles at this time except when the Queen likes them to appear at certain functions to gradually accept something she wants them to do. She is the boss and she will decide all responsibilities and appointments. I feel that William and Catherine are doing a good job for her under her guidelines.

Thank you!

There is only one boss in the British royal firm and until she has a problem with the Duchess we need not to worry. A mother of four who did not have the option of raising her own children as she may have liked is most likely delighted that Prince George and Princess Charlotte are fortunate to have mom home and not on a six month world tour.

I think you're right; Her Majesty knows first hand what happens when royal duties begin to pile up, and what effect that has on one's family life. She has a chance to make sure that her great-grandchildren grow up in an environment that is more conducive to forming strong bonds between children and parents, not to mention she is also aware of William's desire to have a period of time where he and Catherine could focus on raising children. When the time comes, we'll be seeing the Cambridges a lot, and I guarantee that even then there will be a bunch of people who will complain about them stealing spotlight from one person, or another.

Yes exactly Daria...we are going to be subjected to the stories about how the DoC is trying to undermine and/or upstage Camilla (whatever her title will be at the time) in all manner of ways....and that William is trying to overstep his bounds with Charles ..blah blah blah.

LaRae

Catherine won't be accused of stealing the spotlight from anyone. She's the most senior member of the royal family, after to Her Majesty The Queen and Duchess of Cornwall. It's her place to play important roles within the "Firm."

I think the drovers dog could upstage Camilla IMO only of course so great challenge there.
But frankly I think time to get back to work for Kate .. I agree they will have limited family life as time goes on yadda yadda but she married who she married and that life of privilege comes with responsibility. Yes she loves her children and so on but she has a responsibility outside that arena and most be seen at least to have commitment which IMO she does not appear to have at this stage. She has more commitment to her privacy and that I am afraid she can only have a snap shot of that they are not like the rest of us!!! no matter how that is said or printed it has hairs on it that old chestnut!!!! ... lets face it she sat about waiting to have him marry her ... yes she did... she has what she waited for ...... now the maternity leave [give me strength] is over IMO. Back to work is all what I think.

I think the drovers dog could upstage Camilla IMO only of course so great challenge there.
But frankly I think time to get back to work for Kate .. I agree they will have limited family life as time goes on yadda yadda but she married who she married and that life of privilege comes with responsibility. Yes she loves her children and so on but she has a responsibility outside that arena and most be seen at least to have commitment which IMO she does not appear to have at this stage. She has more commitment to her privacy and that I am afraid she can only have a snap shot of that they are not like the rest of us!!! no matter how that is said or printed it has hairs on it that old chestnut!!!! ... lets face it she sat about waiting to have him marry her ... yes she did... she has what she waited for ...... now the maternity leave [give me strength] is over IMO. Back to work is all what I think.
Dear Bertie, I may not agree with everything you have written but I respect your difference of opinion. I also believe that after a long standing relationship the DOC may have had some idea what being married to PW might entail.

Charles' opinions

There's some talk up thread about 'upstaging'. It's obvious that the Cambridges attract more attention that the PoW and the DoC. Does anyone really believe that Charles doesn't mind this, particularly on behalf of his wife ? (I doubt Camilla really cares.) I'm sure that HM consults with him about assignments for 'the kids'- and probably honors his wishes. He has only a few years to raise Camilla's popularity and status in the eyes of his future subjects.

There's some talk up thread about 'upstaging'. It's obvious that the Cambridges attract more attention that the PoW and the DoC. Does anyone really believe that Charles doesn't mind this, particularly on behalf of his wife ? (I doubt Camilla really cares.) I'm sure that HM consults with him about assignments for 'the kids'- and probably honors his wishes. He has only a few years to raise Camilla's popularity and status in the eyes of his future subjects.

I completely agree this is a factor - not the only one - but definitely a concern in scheduling tours and high profile involvement so as to not conflict

Charles isn't worried about the Cambridge's upstaging him and Camilla. Obviously, he's the Prince of Wales and principle player in the "Firm," but he knows his son and wife also have a role to play as senior royals and he respects that.

I'm just saying that it's time for Catherine to take her place on the stage as the Third lady in the Land. With The Queen giving Catherine the responsible role of representing her on a tour of Malta (a tour she couldn't make due to illness with carrying Charlotte), I think even The Queen knows it's time for Catherine to step up her game.

Last edited:
When you glance the comments of Daily Mail (yes, I know!) you'd be forgiven for thinking Catherine is universally loathed in Britain.

In as far as she appears on the news on this side of the North Sea, which isn't that often, there is no mentioning of her workload - or lack of it.
So my question goes to the British members: What is the word on the street in regards to Catherine's workload?
Are people critical? Indifferent? Pleased with her workload? Or saying okay, but she could step up a bit?

The Official website of the British Monarchy

The above website, the official website for the British Monarchy offers official and as far as I am aware the updated information on the finances of The Royal Family, how they pertain to the government etc. for anyone who is interested. There are I believe also several documents available from HMSO if one would care to go more indepth.

Charles isn't worried about the Cambridge's upstaging him and Camilla. Obviously, he's the Prince of Wales and principle player in the "Firm," but he knows his son and wife also have a role to play as senior royals and he respects that.

I'm just saying that it's time for Catherine to take her place on the stage as the Third lady in the Land. With The Queen giving Catherine the responsible role of representing her on a tour of Malta (a tour she couldn't make due to illness with carrying Charlotte), I think even The Queen knows it's time for Catherine to step up her game.

I can see what you're saying, but it is worth remembering that until William increases the public the duties he carries out, I don't think we will see much more of Catherine than we currently do.

It is not a question of the Queen knowing it is time for Catherine to "step up her game" it is a question of the Queen deciding if and when. This is not a decision for Catherine to make for herself. If anything, it is for William to "step up" his public duties (assuming the Queen will ever insist he does), which will automatically increase Catherine's public visibility.

I can see what you're saying, but it is worth remembering that until William increases the public the duties he carries out, I don't think we will see much more of Catherine than we currently do.

It is not a question of the Queen knowing it is time for Catherine to "step up her game" it is a question of the Queen deciding if and when. This is not a decision for Catherine to make for herself. If anything, it is for William to "step up" his public duties (assuming the Queen will ever insist he does), which will automatically increase Catherine's public visibility.

Yeah, I understand where you coming from. Hopefully her senior role is on it's way to increasing. I've noticed that Catherine has gained a great of confidence on the royal stage. She needs to work on her speeches a bit more and inject some of her personality into it. It only comes with practice, but she can't get much practice if she's not giving any speeches about the causes she's passionate about. Her video messages are good though.

Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsib...

Yes exactly Daria...we are going to be subjected to the stories about how the DoC is trying to undermine and/or upstage Camilla (whatever her title will be at the time) in all manner of ways....and that William is trying to overstep his bounds with Charles ..blah blah blah.

LaRae

Indeed. It's all sad but true. Kinda like a soap opera if you think about it. I'm surprised no soap writer/director thought of going to the DM to get plot lines, but I may be wrong, because I don't watch that stuff...

Catherine won't be accused of stealing the spotlight from anyone. She's the most senior member of the royal family, after to Her Majesty The Queen and Duchess of Cornwall. It's her place to play important roles within the "Firm."

I would bet that she would be accused of being upstaged, if only by the scum at DM, but since good deal of the public reads that drivel, it'll sell, and be regarded as something credible.

I have no issues with Charles, but old insecurities take a long time to disappear, not to mention that he does appear to enjoy the attention. After watching 'The Royal Paintbox', I realized just how much he likes to be center-stage. He may not (and more than likely isn't) be jealous of his son, and daughter-in-law, but he may very well be concerned with the kind of popularity and attention they receive. Yes, he doesn't have a lot of time to schmooze the masses, and age is certainly not in his favor (majority wants to see the young, and glamorous Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, or as press loves to call them 'Prince William, and Kate Middleton), so the only thing he can control is the amount of exposure. Yes, I'm sure he discusses these concerns with his mother, and since he is financing his sons' and daughter-in-law's appearances, it's not too far-fetched to believe that he has a say in how much Catherine does. So, maybe all those who want more Catherine should take up writing to Her Majesty, and the Prince of Wales with their concerns. I'm sure both parties would be just tickled pink.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

I didn't think of that, but it makes sense. Catherine will follow William's lead in this, as she has been doing.

Yeah, I understand where you coming from. Hopefully her senior role is on it's way to increasing. I've noticed that Catherine has gained a great of confidence on the royal stage. She needs to work on her speeches a bit more and inject some of her personality into it. It only comes with practice, but she can't get much practice if she's not giving any speeches about the causes she's passionate about. Her video messages are good though.

Her speeches are fine, and how much more personality should she inject into them? Perhaps you would be happy if she did them as musical numbers, with a little dance routine? And she shows her passion by visiting her charities, whether privately, or publicly, and that is more valuable, and from the heart than some pretty words.

Last edited:
When you glance the comments of Daily Mail (yes, I know!) you'd be forgiven for thinking Catherine is universally loathed in Britain.

In as far as she appears on the news on this side of the North Sea, which isn't that often, there is no mentioning of her workload - or lack of it.
So my question goes to the British members: What is the word on the street in regards to Catherine's workload?
Are people critical? Indifferent? Pleased with her workload? Or saying okay, but she could step up a bit?

I hear good things. My nieces and nephews live in England and my children were raised there and they love 'Princess Kate'

In every poll taken since Kate married into the BRF shows the four most popular royals to be the Queen, William, Harry and Catherine in various order.

The comments section of the DM is an echo chamber. The Mail Online is the largest newspaper website in the world and its format encourages the negativity. Not just articles about Kate but pretty much any story.

The big reason for the discrepancy of YouGov and Ipsos Mori polls and DM comments is polls conducted on the BRF only ask Britons. The person trolling Kate in Florida has no say on Kate's popularity in Britain.

These YouGov polls from 2014 are typical Modern Britain: little islanders who love the Queen and Richard Branson - Spectator Blogs

The public was asked to choose which prominent people they think reflect Britain today. Members of the Royal Family occupy four of the top five positions — the Queen, Prince William, Harry and the Duchess of Cambridge — while fifth spot is occupied by Richard Branson. Charles and Camilla didn't make the list and I'm not having a dig at C&C just giving some perspective on Catherine's so called lack of popularity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom