Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent points miss whirley as IMO there are still some who do not realize that Charles must pay for all of the members of his family when they perform royal duties.

I get really baffled when fans cry that they want Beatrice to join the firm. There is already no money for William, Catherine, and Harry. Is Dave Clark suppose to pay for her engagements? I like Beatrice but it would be nonsensical.

It would be like planting more trees in arid soil.

Even after Charles becomes King there might not be room for Harry. He may have to wait for The Duke of Kent to pass on, and his wife may have to wait for Alexandra.

With their fiscal realities I think the five members of the Wales branch do a great job. Even though the younger generation gets insulted for something they can't control, especially Catherine. It's always the woman's fault that the government wants to cut down royal spending.:bang:

I think Catherine is doing a wonderful job in her current role. Her royal duties and responsibilities are growing.

I think it's older and minor royals that should be cutting back. The younger royals should be doing a little more and be in the forefront of the working "firm."

I think it's older and minor royals that should be cutting back. The younger royals should be doing a little more and be in the forefront of the working "firm."

Its a gradual process but I do think eventually it will happen. Somehow it would seem a bit cruel at this time to enforce a cutting back of the older and minor players in the Firm. Its rough enough to have to deal with the realization that one is growing older let alone having the confirmation of it by being asked to step back and go out to pasture more after decades of serving the Firm faithfully.

Everything seems to be in good working order the way it is and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Its because of the older and minor royals giving their service is what is allowing the younger ones to be able to focus on getting their own ducks (or ducklings) in a row and build a solid life of their own before their time to focus on the Firm comes.

I think Catherine is doing a wonderful job in her current role. Her royal duties and responsibilities are growing.

How do you see that possibly happening?

It would go against everything the Queen stands for. She doesn't believe in abdication so it would be very hypocritical of her to demand her cousins retire. They have dedicated decades of their lives to serving her. They have done their jobs diligently and with honor. She won't forget that.

One of the Queen's most admirable qualities is her loyalty to her family. She doesn't bow to the media. She showed that after Diana's death, she showed it again after Andrew's scandals. The media can whine till they're blue in the face about wanting to see more of the young royals. The Kents and Gloucesters aren't going anywhere.

The status quo will continue. Charles will continue to juggle five members of the firm on his limited budget, possibly six if Harry marries. William and Harry will get jobs for however many years until the Crown is finally ready for them. Some fans will finally accept that seniority>newbies is the motto of the royal family. Hey, they believe in the rights of the firstborn for a reason, it fits their pattern. The fans who can't accept this basic blueprint will bash Catherine for not forcing the Queen's hand. Same story different day.

I don't think anyone is forcing the older and minor royals into retirement. I think it's more effective to have the older and minor royals to cut back a bit or at least the royal household make sure that the younger royals and taking center stage a bit more. That's just my opinion though.

I don't think anyone is forcing the older and minor royals into retirement. I think it's more effective to have the older and minor royals to cut back a bit or at least the royal household make sure that the younger royals and taking center stage a bit more. That's just my opinion though.

It's a nice opinion in theory but it ignores the logistics.

Charles doesn't have the money for the younger trio to do more engagements. They would need a much larger office staff. It would cripple his budget to the point where he would have to greatly reduce his own engagements. It would be a p.r. nightmare for him to be seen as only doing half the work of Anne and Andrew. Camilla already has to look bad by doing less work than Anne and Sophie, just so the trio can work part-time.

The trio also cost the government a lot more money on security during public engagements than the Kents/Gloucesters. The trio have to worry about terrorists and fanatics. They need a hefty police presence when facing crowds. For every one engagement Harry does it probably equals the same cost to the government as ten engagements for The Duke of Kent. Once again you have a money problem.

To your last point. I don't think the younger royals have earned the right to center stage. This is not their fault of course, but I don't think they should be prioritized at the expense of the older royals who have earned their laurels.

Let mother nature take it's course. Everybody will graduate into positions when they're meant to.

Last edited:
^^^IMO this is part of the reason why the Cambridges and Harry make some of their visits/engagements private or low key ones so they can keep costs down. I certainly understand that the public wants to meet them and see the trio out but it does require additional public safety officers. barriers, traffic wardens, etc.. before they arrive and during the event. The necessary police presence when they visit does put a strain on the local agencies when they are making public visits.

^^^IMO this is part of the reason why the Cambridges and Harry make some of their visits/engagements private or low key ones so they can keep costs down. I certainly understand that the public wants to meet them and see the trio out but it does require additional public safety officers. barriers, traffic wardens, etc.. before they arrive and during the event. The necessary police presence when they visit does put a strain on the local agencies when they are making public visits.

Safety measures and security concerns are already in place for the Cambridge's. They are senior royals that carry out official engagements on behalf of The Queen and country.

Exactly. Even before Prince Charles becomes King, he might have to become Prince Regent and therefore less able to do some of the things he does now. The Queen is mercifully healthy for her age, but things can change quickly when people are that elderly. As it is, she has the support of the Duke of Edinburgh. Who knows who long he'll be with us? The generation of 20-or-30-somethings might be called on sooner that we think they will, and then they will work in the public eye until they die. What's a few more years of privacy and time with their spouses and children compared to that?

Everybody will graduate into positions when they're meant to.

The media would love to see more of Catherine, William and Harry, but who pays for their appearances?.
Already there are media reports critical of the costs for Harry's recent visit to Australia and New Zealand.

Why should Charles have to foot the costs of His children in service for the Queen? Personally, I think William should be able to keep his salary.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

There's criticism of the costs whenever a high-profile member of the Royal Family visit here in Canada as well. It's par for the course.

I'd imagine that William could keep his salary if he wanted to. Other serving members of the BRF have. He's already a very wealthy young man, and so I applaud him donating it.

The media would love to see more of Catherine, William and Harry, but who pays for their appearances?.
Already there are media reports critical of the costs for Harry's recent visit to Australia and New Zealand.

Why should Charles have to foot the costs of His children in service for the Queen? Personally, I think William should be able to keep his salary.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

It's a nice opinion in theory but it ignores the logistics.

Charles doesn't have the money for the younger trio to do more engagements.(1) They would need a much larger office staff.(2) It would cripple his budget to the point wherehe would have to greatly reduce his own engagements.(3) It would be a p.r. nightmare for him to be seen as only doing half the work of Anne and Andrew. (4) Camilla already has to look bad by doing less work than Anne and Sophie, (5) just so the trio can work part-time.

The trio also cost the government a lot more money on security during public engagements than the Kents/Gloucesters. The trio have to worry about terrorists and fanatics. They need a hefty police presence when facing crowds. For every one engagement Harry does it probably equals the same cost to the government as ten engagements for The Duke of Kent. Once again you have a money problem. (6)

To your last point. I don't think the younger royals have earned the right to center stage. This is not their fault of course, but I don't think they should be prioritized at the expense of the older royals who have earned their laurels.

Let mother nature take it's course. Everybody will graduate into positions when they're meant to.

1. The Duchy of Cornwall made record profits.
2. The staff is already in place. No need for more.
3. Charles is increasing his work load.
4. Charles will never do half of Anne or Andrew.
5. Camilla usually performs more royal engagements than Sophie. Camilla's schedule is based on her private family needs. The spouses usually perform significantly less the born royal. Camilla's work load is no different than the previous POW.
6. The PO are already in place. William, Kate and Harry can have meetings/dinners at KP or BP. Sophie and Philip have meetings, luncheons, dinners with charities and organization. These costs would be the same for Philip, Sophie, Anne as they would be for William, Kate and Harry. W,K,H can attend BP Garden Parties and State Dinners, neither of which would cost any more than any other royal.

William and Kate can increase their numbers if William wanted to be a full time royal.

William and Harry both stated it was their decision not be a full time royal.

Catherine is the spouse of the royal and she will take her lead from William. If he is part time then she is part time. When William becomes full time, Catherine will still carry out less engagements than her husband.

Last edited:
^^^ We don't want the fact to confuse the issue do we Camilla.
PRINCE Charles is paying £1 million a year to support his sons and the Duchess of Cambridge in their official duties, it emerged today.
But the heir to the throne may struggle to foot the growing bill if Prince William, Kate, and Prince Harry end up taking on much more royal work as the Queen and Prince Philip slow down.

Charles's principal private secretary William Nye conceded that his boss would have to look carefully at how much he could continue to fund the activities of the three younger royals in addition to his and Camilla's duties if the balance of work changed.

"Whatever the Duke of Cambridge's plans, the Prince of Wales would have to look carefully at how he continues to fund the official activities of the staff and support for the five senior members of the Royal Family whom he is paying for," said Mr Nye

Prince Charles paid £1m a year to support Prince William and Harry in official duties | Royal | News | Daily Express

There are only finite funds. So unless you know more about Charles financial situation than his own private secretary you should really not comment

Each year the Duchy of Cornwall profits increased but William, Kate and Harry's duties have stayed relatively the same.

2012 was the Jubilee year, which would cover the expenses mentioned in the article.

William had 96 engagements
Kate had 124 engagements
Harry had 71 engagements
Total: 291

The article concluded their engagements cost Charles £1 million.

The major expense that year was not royal engagements but the refurnishing of KP and Anmer Hall.. (Read the rest of the article.)

Just the cost refurnishing KP was well over £1 million in 6 months.

This was a one time expense and not a yearly expense so since Charles will not have to refurnish KP and Anmer yearly this money can be used for additional engagements, that is if William wanted to become a full time royal.

The £1 million or however much was spent on refurnishing KP and Anmer will not be spent yearly refurnishing more houses for William and Catherine so this money can be used for at least another 291 engagements which could be split among William and Kate with William doing an additional 200 to increase his 2012 to 296 and Kate increasing hers to 215.

How much did Charles contribute to the refurnished of KP and Anmer Hall?

The 2013 article state the Duchy had a 4% profit over the previous year.

The money saved from not remodeling houses each year and part of the yearly increase in profits is more than enough money for an increase in the royal engagements for William and Kate.

Last edited:
KP was paid from the SG and not the Duchy of Cornwall. Take it up with CH because it says there is no money for more engagements. Maybe Charles spent it to remodelled Camilla's home who knows

The fact is Bill Nye says the money isn't there for the younger royals to take on more. If you don't believe him then take it up with CH but don't blame |William for not having an official income unlike the Queen and his father, William must rely on handouts

Last edited:
KP was paid from the SG and not the Duchy of Cornwall. Take it up with CH because it says there is no money for more engagements. Maybe Charles spent it to remodelled Camilla's home who knows

The structural work was paid by the SG, the decorating and furnishing was paid by Charles.

Camilla's home has not been remodeled so can't blame Camilla.:lol::lol::lol:

Try again.

Your many issues with funding for the younger royals should really be addressed to CH since it said the money is tight and Charles can't afford to fund five full-time senior royals.

Its a fact Bill Nye is on the record with Richard Palmer. IF you don't believe him thats your problem not William's

Last edited:
The structural work was paid by the SG, the decorating and furnishing was paid by Charles.

Camilla's home has not been remodeled so can't blame Camilla.:lol::lol::lol:

Try again.

According to numerous articles on the KP renovation, the decorating and furnishing was paid for by the Cambridges. If Charles paid for any of it, it came from his personal funds.

If this is true, it makes sense. I like the way that the Cambridges appear as a team, with neither overshadowing the other. :flowers:

\Hasn't his wife said she is modelling her role on the late Queen Mother who said very little and supported her husband and then daughter in their roles?

I don't see the DoC as anything like the Queen Mother. Kate appears as very much an equal to William as opposed to just a supporting role.

LaRae

Nothing against the Queen Mother but hope Kate isn't taking after her we have moved since those days. Kate will hold her own I'm sure.

I think that the QM (when she was Queen Consort) was a formidable force behind the throne. Not a bad model for Kate when it's her turn....or should she model herself on Philip?

I think you can be both an equal and a supportive. They are clearly equals in the relationship. But that doesn't mean she can't be in a more supportive "professional" role in their "job". And you could tell that when William was with her to the sailing event he was in the supportive role since it was her event, but mostly she will be in the supportive role as a "consort".

See, IMO, I think you've got this all backwards. I think W and K are the models- just the way they are. Models of a monarchy that is modern- and of this century- because I surely can't and don't fault HM. She is faultless. I think future kings and queens should model them- W& K that is. No, I don't think anyone can model the DOE. I don't think anyone should. I think Muriel just answered that way, because Daniel is a future Prince Consort - not because he is like the DOE.

Last edited:
I think that the QM (when she was Queen Consort) was a formidable force behind the throne. Not a bad model for Kate when it's her turn....or should she model herself on Philip?

Yes, she was a formidable force behind the throne, both when she was Queen Consort and Queen Mother. She was a great support too both her husband and her daughter, and I don't believe in all this ridiculous nonsense that Lady Colin Campbell writes about in her books, which I have not even read.

She had the ability to form an emotional connection with people, and getting people to like her, but she was very manipulative and did not stop until she got her way. This was something she shared with Diana. She could be very difficult, and you couldn't go to her with problems. Kate's not like that at all, and I don't think the Queen Mother is a good role model for her.
As I've said before, I am no Queen Mother / Diana or Margaret fan.

I don't think Kate will / should model herself on Philip either. I am no fan of Prince Philip, because he is not the kind of person that I usually like, but he has been a great support too the Queen.

Both Camilla and Kate will and should do things in their own way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect that you are no great Diana fan and I am- so we will see things differently . But " formed a great emotional connection with people." That sounds like Diana too. One of her traits I liked. What's interesting is that while I am a Diana fan- I'm not a QM fan. That is also a trait I see in Catherine. And I'm a fan of hers.
Yes, your'e right Camilla and Kate would and should do things their own way. Kate doesn't need a model- she will do fine by herself. If someone should need a model- they will look to her.

Last edited:
But " formed a great emotional connection with people." That sounds like Diana too.

I agree with you, and it was meant for Diana too. I wrote, this was something she shared with Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, it's August and the royal news and public appearances are slow. It's been said that Catherine is due to resume her official obligations this month. I think her time off as a busy mom should be respected, but we must remember that despite her time off, Catherine and her office are working behind the scenes in arranging her official diary and she's in contact with her charities. Members of the royal get their time off, but they're never really off completely.

Once she's back, do I think Catherine should perform a little more official engagements? Yes, I think she could up the number a little and that it wouldn't take her away from her private role as a young mother.

I have no issues with regards to debating numbers of engagements. But Kate has done hundreds of official engagements, she has been on numerous official foreign tours. She would have done her first official solo tour if not for her pregnancy. She is active in the Royal Foundation. Her charities have nothing but glowing remarks for her.

Now she and William have a young family and Kate is prioritising the raising of her children as her main 'job' for the time being. Good I say.

Obviously things are still moving forward. There is a lot of talk of another major tour next year.

Given the fact that neither William nor Harry are full-time I don't think its fair to single Kate out.

Her numbers are right in step with Harry's and her focusing on family is just as much work as flying an air ambulance.

Of course this is the life of a royal. They exist to be criticised and Kate's a big girl and can handle herself. She doesn't need me defending her.

Last edited:
In comparison with her "colleagues" like Mary of Denmark, Mette-Marit of Norway, Stéphanie de Luxembourg, etc. the Duchess of Cambridge has a firm workload. I have never had the idea she was lazy or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom