The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't get the attitude of people speculating about Catherine's future duties, etc. Catherine is actually living her life as we squabble...
I completely agree, but most people posting on this thread will not even bother to try to see your logic. Thanks for trying.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't get the attitude of people speculating about Catherine's future duties, etc...I think that is all that is required of her from the BRF and, who am I to tell them how to run "The Firm".
I agree. At this point in time HM, the DoE and PoW will be the ones to determine how large of a role is played by Charles' children and daughter-in-law.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Heir Apparent

But eerhh... Catherine is not a royal because of her intelligence, her work ethics or her sense of decorum. The Duke of Cambridge simply felt in love with her and even when Catherine locks herself in the highest tower of Windsor Castle, dedicating herself to needlework and writing poems, still then she is the future Duchess of Cornwall, possibly Princess of Wales and possibly Queen. It is not that she has a schedule with quantitative or qualitative requirements. It is no job, it is her marriage.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Nobility

Millions of other parents manage to work while also having young children. Kate must be bored being a housewife.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Millions of other parents manage to work while also having young children. Kate must be bored being a housewife.

Why? Millions of other parents would kill to be able to stay home with their young children and not miss a moment of their growing up.

Most people work because they have to- not because they'd be bored not working.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Courtier

And there is the middle group, that can't find work, greatly enjoy being there for the children, but are growing crazy with the limited view and mental challenge (house-supermarkt-playground-house) this situation causes.
Like myself. ;-)
The situation of working vs staying at home is not so black and white as generally stated. :-)
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can see that, absolutely- but I doubt that's the case here. Catherine is extremely fortunate in having the ability to research, read and work behind the scenes with a staff of dedicated professionals as much or as little as she wants.

For all we know she spends half her day with George and half with her staff planning ahead on events. It could be quite a fulfilling role.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Millions of other parents manage to work while they have young children. Kate must be quite bored being a housewife.
Millions of other parents decide to stay home and focus primarily on the family instead of making a career. Also that is a honourable choice. A stable and safe family with a good structure provides the best circumstances for children to grow up into responsible and well-prepared adults. That is an immense investment into society.

According to EuroSTAT the participation of women on the labor market is:

UK 51%
France 51%
Germany 54%

This means that roughly half of the women in the United Kingdom, in France and in Germany do not participate in paid jobs. In the Netherlands the participation of women on the labor market is high with almost 75% but it has to be noted that the percentage of women with fulltime jobs is the lowest in the Netherlands. Many women have a parttime job of around 12-16 hourrs a week and spend the rest of the time to family.

So I would say, the Duchess of Cambridge is in no any way different from half of her female compatriots who chose for family life.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
...For all we know she spends half her day with George and half with her staff planning ahead on events. It could be quite a fulfilling role.
Oh I agree with you. I was speaking more in general terms, since the discussion seemed to slowly slip towards a general x vs. y discussion instead of Catherine's actual situation.
I can imagine that eg. a 2 hour visit will mean a 2 hour preparation, not counting travelling time. More if a speech is neccessary.
And a refreshment of the information the day of the visit.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
And there is the middle group, that can't find work, greatly enjoy being there for the children, but are growing crazy with the limited view and mental challenge (house-supermarkt-playground-house) this situation causes.
Like myself. ;-)
The situation of working vs staying at home is not so black and white as generally stated. :-)
Oh did this post bring back memories! There were times I would have given my last donut to have a conversation above a Sesame Street level. I think all stay at home moms go through this.

Maybe Kate will do what I did. Take on a scout troop. Oh! Waitaminute! She's already involved in scouts. Nevermind.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the Queen/Charles et al want Kate to do what she is doing right now. If they wanted her 'working' more outside home she'd be doing it.

I think the Queen very much realizes the downfalls of not having been with her children due to her duties. Charles does as well from his own perspective as the child involved with that senario.

Further I think they (to include William) do not want her front and center a lot, they are not eager to have a repeat of the Diana craze...I think this is one of the reasons Kate recycles so much of her clothing (nothing new for reporters), keeps her hair the same and other style choices very much the same.

LaRae
Old 07-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I tend to agree with this. Those of old enough to remember how the palace acted when they were not so pleased with the wife of an heir know that there is no sign that anyone "inside" is unhappy with the Duchess. It may bug us, but inside the Royal Family I think everyone knows this is as planned.

And I am not trying to bring up another subject - so don't go there. I'm just saying the smoke signals seem fine with her level of public activity.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think the idea is to try to make Catherine the star of the "Firm" but to define her role within the "Firm" and as a senior royal. This has been done for Camilla and Sophie too. I think to help define her role and to clarity it is to give her some responsibility within the "Firm" like honorary military colonelships, presidencies etc. Now she's about to embark on her first solo trip on behalf of The Queen.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Aristocracy

I remember the uproar when Diana appeared at the Opening of Parliament sporting a new hair style. The media coverage of this new look totally dominated and over shadowed the Queen's message.

The Firm was NOT happy. In Diana's defense, she had no way of knowing that a change in hair style would dominate like it did.

I believe that the Firm has learned from the era of Diana and are very keen on not making the same mistakes. I think this is why Katherine is usually paired with another real at so many of her appearances.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
...and another chose more for 'the wife behind the screens' role (Barbara Bush).
This is not so, Mrs. Bush was heavily involved with literacy. Read a biography, please.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
. In Diana's defense, she had no way of knowing that a change in hair style would dominate like it did.
I'm sorry to say Diana knew EXACTLY what appearing with a new hairdo would achieve,- Her dominance of press coverage on the most important royal/governmental occasion of that year. She was no novice at that point, and knew how 'to play to the gallery'...
Old 07-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I'm sorry to say Diana knew EXACTLY what appearing with a new hairdo would achieve,- Her dominance of press coverage on the most important royal/governmental occasion of that year. She was no novice at that point, and knew how 'to play to the gallery'...
No, she didn't know the press would be all over her hairdo. What people don't understand is that The Queen has never felt upstaged by Diana or any other member of the royal family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
This is not so, Mrs. Bush was heavily involved with literacy. Read a biography, please.
Barbara bush would not be considered a low key, inactive First Lady by any stretch of the imagination
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Well, one can champion literacy and still maintain a comparatively less prominent public role (perhaps Laura Bush would be a better example of this - in terms of being a seemingly quieter presence - than Barbara.) In terms of the way that first ladies or royal ladies carry out their roles, just because someone might be considered to be playing a more low-key role doesn't mean they aren't putting work in, they just might be a naturally more low-key person. There are all sorts of approaches one can take (and some of it depends on the preferences of the individual involved, while some of it depends on the response of the media and the public).
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

The bottom line is, there is a middle ground. Kate doesn't have to be like the Queen in the early 50's but she married into a job not just a relationship. After 3yrs it seems she is doing little on the job front.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles