The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

But who will define her role? Herself? William? HM? The Firm?

IMO, her role is undefined because William's role is also undefined. And I blame him for that. This whole transitional year seemed to end in some sort of a joke. Once again, he run away from his responsabilities in the Firm and found a new job that has nothing to do with preparing himself to be King. And Kate's role in the Firm will always depend in William's role.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post

IMO, her role is undefined because William's role is also undefined. And I blame him for that. This whole transitional year seemed to end in some sort of a joke. Once again, he run away from his responsabilities in the Firm and found a new job that has nothing to do with preparing himself to be King. And Kate's role in the Firm will always depend in William's role.
I don't think that the transitional year is up yet and there has only been speculation on what job he will be taking in the future. Nothing is set in stone yet. Its just my gut feeling but I think there will be a pow wow with all those that are involved up at Balmoral over the summer break.

We just have to wait and see what happens next.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Royal Highness

William and Kate are Dukes of cambridge. It's normal now have fewer appointments, even to take advantage of these early years of George.
I think William and Kate commitments increase in a few years, especially when they become Princes of Wales.
William and Kate are important for the monarchy and the Royal family knows it.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I agree with all of this. I think that the intention was to have him perform more royal duties upon their move to Kensingston, Kate's role dependent upon that - then we had this "transitional year", and now it seems they are moving out of KP and off to Amner where he will be a pilot, and again, Kate's role dependent upon his role.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Majesty

When you think about it, if William had trained and passed and obtained his commercial pilot's license, don't you think there would have been enough people in the know to have a leak come out and hit the media?

There's been absolutely no confirmation that they'll be moving to Norfolk and Will taking up a full time job as a pilot for EAAA.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

If I understood correctly from royal reporters, although there was no official information yet, it's almost a given to all of them this will happen.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When you think about it, if William had trained and passed and obtained his commercial pilot's license, don't you think there would have been enough people in the know to have a leak come out and hit the media?

There's been absolutely no confirmation that they'll be moving to Norfolk and Will taking up a full time job as a pilot for EAAA.
But a leak did come out and hit the media- and they're certain enough about it that they've been treating it as fact, which is unusual- normally if they're unsure they couch it in "It is rumored, or it is possible"
Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I'll see if I can find it, but there was an article a while back with a quote from the air ambulance organization's spokesperson, and it would have been really bizarre if the story didn't have some grounding in the truth. It was "we're still awaiting his decision" or something like that.

Edit: Found it. "A spokesman for East Anglian Air Ambulance said: 'We know that he is considering his options but that is all we are aware of at this stage.'" It's not as definite as I remembered but IMO if it wasn't true at all, it would be strange if EAAA was saying anything like that.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:09 AM
Aristocracy

I think having one parent as the main carer of small children is important to many families if they can afford it.
William and Catherine can afford to have one of them caring for George and it seems that they choose Catherine for that role.
For this reason I think Catherine's public role will stay quite flexible for a few more years. As long as the two of them are sincere and dedicated once they decide to work as full time royals then I see their current investment into their family life as valid.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she will be pregnant again before the year is out.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with that. I think Kate was quite comfortable in being in the spotlight and didn't seem to mind all that press histeria around her in the first years of her marriage. (which had its good side). But William's deployment to the Falklands put an end to it. When he was away, Kate did a bunch of engagements and was doing pretty well, looking ver happy, etc. When he returned, things changed. I have the feeling someone (William? the palace?) started to see in front of their eyes a new situation of wife of the heir being so popular that she completely outstages the heir, and immediately put an end to it, limiting the number of engagements she does. Which could also explain why she does much fewer engagements than William since then. It seems clear to me that, no matter how willing to work Kate is, her engagement numbers will always be smaller than William's. She'll never be allowed to upstage him. (yes, she will always do because everytime she appears, nobody notices him, but there will be damage control by not allowing her to appear so often). Is Kate happy with it? I'm not sure she is. As I said, she seemed over the moon to me during those engagements he was away and she could be the star.

Yes, I know this is only speculation on my part, but it's how I feel watching their "movements"

I don't necessarily agree. I took the Falklands situation as Kate shelving one job (homemaker) and picking up on her other job, a royal duchess. I don't think there was any worry about her being too popular on her own, I saw it as more Kate representing both of them while he was away. I think anyone who is in the RF is ok with being the focus of attention, but nothing Kate has done gives me the impression that she wants to be the super star rather than a team player.
At the same time I believe you have a point that those in control want to maintain that there is a more important person in these duos at least when it comes to the establishment. QE2 is the star when it comes to her and Phillip; Charles is the star in his duo and William in his. I don't think it would be viewed well if Kate was seen out more than William even if William is doing a valuable job; at least not for years and years and years. That is why I liked how they did it the first year, full time in Wales part time doing royal duties.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If I understood correctly from royal reporters, although there was no official information yet, it's almost a given to all of them this will happen.
Then again, the same was being said of William going to work at the Commonwealth office. From what I understand, there are several options on the table.

I'm just hoping whatever the decision, the job will be flexible enough for William & Catherine to remain focused on their official royal duties and won't cause them to decrease their roles.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't necessarily agree. I took the Falklands situation as Kate shelving one job (homemaker) and picking up on her other job, a royal duchess. I don't think there was any worry about her being too popular on her own, I saw it as more Kate representing both of them while he was away. I think anyone who is in the RF is ok with being the focus of attention, but nothing Kate has done gives me the impression that she wants to be the super star rather than a team player.
At the same time I believe you have a point that those in control want to maintain that there is a more important person in these duos at least when it comes to the establishment. QE2 is the star when it comes to her and Phillip; Charles is the star in his duo and William in his. I don't think it would be viewed well if Kate was seen out more than William even if William is doing a valuable job; at least not for years and years and years. That is why I liked how they did it the first year, full time in Wales part time doing royal duties.
Please do not start the same rubbish that dogged the marriage of Charles and Diana.

When William came back from the Falklands they were based in Anglesey which was not condusive to lots of royal engagements. They are not f/t royals and we all know that. And not liking it is frankly, too bad.

This "star" expression is so wrong. It iis about the work that any royal undertakes. I have royal engagement info going back to 1980. Prince Philip did more engagments that the Queen. That means in fact that he travelled further, and did more engagements reported in the CC and she did stuff that wasnt.

Do anyone of you think that she was "lazy" and "not interested" ?

Please can all posters accept that what you see isnt all there is. That applies to HMQ, DoE, PoW, and everyone else

Much of what I read looks like prejudice, ie you dontlike William/Catherine. why not say so up front?

I think that they are doing enough for p/t royals; they are prioritising family life because in the next 10 yrs its all going to change. and then its af/t job till they die.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

If this is your intent I am first going to say do not call my ideas and opinions rubish; if you disagree find but there is no reason to insult me. Second you don't know me and shouldn't imply that I or anyone else do not like WnK.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Then again, the same was being said of William going to work at the Commonwealth office. From what I understand, there are several options on the table.

I'm just hoping whatever the decision, the job will be flexible enough for William & Catherine to remain focused on their official royal duties and won't cause them to decrease their roles.
Different cases. The possibility of working in the Commonwealth Office was nothing else than briefly talked about, amongst many options. The possibility of work in the air ambulance had been reported as almost certain for quite some time by many reporters. Plus, there is the quote mention by wbenson.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Different cases. The possibility of working in the Commonwealth Office was nothing else than briefly talked about, amongst many options. The possibility of work in the air ambulance had been reported as almost certain for quite some time by many reporters. Plus, there is the quote mention by wbenson.
Reporters can speculate and write articles until they turn blue in the face but the fact remains that everything is still just speculation and nothing has been announced by William himself of what his future plans are to be.

He may work for the Foreign Office. He may work for ambulance authority. He may take up sheep farming in Australia. We just have to be patient and wait until there is an official announcement of what his plans are.

Just because someone has written a few times that this is possibly a "for certain" never makes it so.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is it official? No. Never said so. But is it likely? Almost sure? I think it is. We'll have to wait and see who is right.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Aristocracy

What is wrong with Catherine spending time with her child?
If she worked as much as some of you seem to feel she must, then someone would be accusing her of being a absent mother.

Both the Queen and the POW were unable to spend a lot of time with their children because of their duties.
Maybe they feel the William and Catherine should have time with their child. There is plenty of time for cutting ribbons and opening hospital wings.

If the Queen wants them out and about cutting ribbons and dedicating clinics, then they would be doing it.
William has some say so in his life..... But much of it is planned by the royal firm
Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Majesty

I don't get the attitude of people speculating about Catherine's future duties, etc.

Catherine is actually living her life as we squabble. She is in the fortunate situation that she does not have to work, does not have to be away at a 9 - 5 job and can spend as much time as she likes with George and any more children that arrive.

The presence of a nanny intimates to me that she and William are making sure that George has someone who knows him looking after him whenever mum and dad are out, whether together or alone, on parade.

It would also give Catherine the necessary time to study for any upcoming engagements because unlike William she's new to the game.

Admittedly that is not a lot but, I think that is all that is required of her from the BRF and, who am I to tell them how to run "The Firm".
Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I have said it very clearly that Sophie was working full-time in her PR firm in her first two years but managed 120 engagements in the first full year - 2000. Kate, in her first full year - 2012 with the Jubilee and Olympics to pad her figures and no full-time job did 123...
I remember when Sophie married into the family and a big production was made that she would not be undertaking engagements and her role would be to "support" her husband in his engagements. This meant that Sophie simply went out to dinners and concerts and theater events which was what most of those engagements were at that time and which is what most couples in that circle do anyway. She didn't put any effort or planning in beforehand as a patron would do. She just showed up for dinner and smiled for the cameras. By appearing at all these events with her royal husband, she was raising the profile of her company. And PR is all about raising the profile. Sophie's company was benefiting from all of this and her full-time job encompassed her appearances with her husband at his royal engagements.

As far as Edward's full-time job with Ardent, I think there are arguments to be made as to how much work he really did. Despite several deep-pocketed investors, the company never got off the ground, and there were reports that Edward didn't do a lot because he was always taking off for some royal event.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles