The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the bottom line is that every member of the royal family works more than Kate no matter which job they are working at.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Cambridge: What now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

What if the Duchess of Cambridge has no ambition for a public role and solely wants to be a loving wife to the Duke and a devoted mother to the infant prince? It is not that she has to "deliver" something, she is only the Duchess because she married the Duke. There is no contract or something.

In the old days the Countess of Grantham, let alone her mother-in-law the Dowager Countess would not even think about working. Work? Isn't that why we have all that staff for? In those days the duties of such a lady were at her House and to manage the often formidable Household.

For an example Camilla, when she has a public role, she often has a fantastic interaction with the audience. When I see her however, I have the feeling that she loves Charles and his boys, that she is a soul-mate, but that the public outings are not her favourite. When she has to, she does it wonderfully, but I have the feeling she prefers to arrange things at Clarence, St James or Highgrove, to give her attention to the boys, to Catherine and the grandson, to enjoy a nice walk in the nature, etc. But when she chooses that way, she will be burned in media as lazy and whatever. In some sort of way the royals are slaves to the merciless scrutiny of media.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

The difference between an aristocratic lady and a royal lady is that the royal ladies are expected to do charity work while aristocratic ladies can do other things if they wish.

The public have come to expect charity work from their royals and the royal ladies have been delivering on that side of the 'contract' for generations.

For the perks they get they are expected to give a return and being a wife and mother isn't enough. If that is what Kate wanted for her life she should have turned down William's proposal and found herself another man who could let her be a stay-at-home mum but for a royal woman that isn't an option.

Kate is also married to the future King so the expectations are even greater than say on Sophie who is only married to the 8th in line and he will only drop further or The Duchess of Gloucester who is now married to the 22nd although he was 8th when they married but she understood that in marrying Richard she would be expected to do some charity work and after the death of her brother-in-law and then father-in-law was expected to do even more - as did the Duchess of Kent.

Kate's personal wishes aren't relevant as she didn't just marry a man but a position and a job - that of being a royal wife and public engagements are expected from her for the rest of her life - just as Camilla has shown - they aren't what she necessarily wanted to do with her life but her love for Charles means that she was prepared to embrace them as part of the marriage contract and Kate will have to step up.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The difference between an aristocratic lady and a royal lady is that the royal ladies are expected to do charity work while aristocratic ladies can do other things if they wish.

The public have come to expect charity work from their royals and the royals ladies have been delivering on that side of the 'contract' for generations.

For the perks they get they are expected to give a return and being a wife and mother isn't enough. If that is what Kate wanted for her life she should have turned down William's proposal and found herself another man who could let her be a stay-at-home mum but for a royal woman that isn't an option.

Kate is also married to the future King so the expectations are even greater than say on Sophie who is only married to the 8th in line and he will only drop further or The Duchess of Gloucester who is now married to the 22nd although he was 8th when they married but she understood that in marrying Richard she would be expected to do some charity work and after the death of her brother-in-law and then father-in-law was expected to do even more - as did the Duchess of Kent.

Kate's personal wishes aren't relevant as she didn't just marry a man but a position and a job - that of being a royal wife and public engagements are expected from her for the rest of her life - just as Camilla has shown - they aren't what she necessarily wanted to do with her life but her love for Charles means that she was prepared to embrace them as part of the marriage contract and Kate will have to step up.
That's it in a nutshell.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

The public have come to expect charity work from their royals and the royals ladies have been delivering on that side of the 'contract' for generations.

QFT
Kate just can't be a wife a mother, she is married to a prince who is supposed to be king one day. I get the sense that Kate may not be a career driven person, she does not seem as ambitious as the other members of her family to work at something. She might be a Camilla type person, only wanted to be a wife and mother and now has to work because of the man she loves. Camilla has progressed well, Kate not so much but I'm hoping it will get better.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Nobility

She knew what was expected of her
She will never have a normal life
It's a long road for her
She has adjusted very well,but.but.but there will be more and more
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

From what I've seen, Catherine loves carrying out her royal engagements and she's settled pretty nicely in her royal role. Of course there's still room for her to grow in her role. At some point (hopefully in the not so distant future) she'll be taking on honorary military appointments, presenting Colours on Her Majesty's behalf and even she'll be taking on charitable presidencies. At the moment, not a great deal of responsibility been handed down to her as a senior royal. Catherine representing The Queen on her solo trip to Malta seems to be the very beginning of her taking on more responsibility as third lady of the land.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Commoner

^^ Let's hope she can manage to keep her bottom covered up on her next trip!

I have been a huge fan of the Duchess until recently. The dress fly-ups have made me start to re-think that. She knows very well it's a continuing problem, and she knows there are solutions. Yet she continues to risk flashing the world. Why?

Then I started looking at her engagements. I applauded her and the Royal family for starting her off slowly, but honestly, it's been more than 3 years. If anything, she seems to be slowing down. She hasn't done a public engagement since the weekend of July 5-6, when she appeared at two sports events. Prior to that, there were only one or two after the Australia/New Zealand trip.

Which got me to thinking... her "job" is to promote her charities. If we exclude the fun sports events and glamorous movie premieres, as well as non-negotiable Royal Family appearances such as Trooping the Colors -- how many charity engagements is she really doing? Does anyone know?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Heir Apparent

In the US we see that the one First Lady has an active public role (Michelle Obama) and an another chose more for 'the wife behind the screens' role (Barbara Bush).

In my country we see the same: Mme Bernadette Chirac was a far more active Premičre Dame de France than Mme Carla Bruni-Sarkozy who did not develop an own independent role as Premičre Dame.

I think all must be open for consorts. Not all of them have the same desire for an outspoken public role. If Catherine wants a more restraint image than, let's say, Diana who had the maximum spotlight, that must be possible and no reason to nail her in media.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

How many patronages etc. are available to her at the moment ? There are quite a few senior royals who maintain their existing commitments and these will become available in time. If Catherine amasses quite a few new patronages at this stage, she will be unable to take on the ones which will eventually become vacant and by tradition have a senior role as their patron. It has been stated before that we do not know much about the private visits that occur, but we know they do happen. I am as keen as anyone to see the Duchess out and about more, but I don't put this down to any aversion to carry out her royal duties .

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 AM
Courtier

I expect given the choice, the Duchess would just like a quiet life in the countryside.

Who decides if she takes on Royal Engagements? I'm sure the Queen keeps well out of it. So I expect the Palace Advisers advise her. But in the end its up to her what she chooses to do. Any pressure, William will come down hard on that, as he is very protective of her. At the end of the day they will do what they feel is best for them.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Even if that isn't the best for the nation - that is the difference between William and The Queen - she doesn't always do what is best for her or what she wants to do but what she knows she has to do and what is best for the nation - she, and Charles, have a sense of duty that seems lacking in William and even more so in Kate.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Cambridge: What now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsib...

Isn't also best for the nation that Prince George grows up to be a well adjusted adult knowing he is part of a tight knit loving family. The Prince of Wales could have cleared his schedule for George's birthday but chose not to. He went to demonstration of gray squirrel trapping to promote saving the native red squirrel instead of his only grandchild's 1st birthday party which the Queen was able to attend.

William and Kate are not the next in line. They are focusing on their family right now which will only help them in the future as they become the Prince and Princess of Wales and then King and Queen. Any major decisions are discussed with the Queen and the Prince of Wales. When William joined SAR and left the Raf, it was discussed. So it is safe to assume, part time or full royal role for W&K was also discussed.

Did anybody notice where George's birthday photos were shot ? I did. It could have easily been in the garden or sofa of KP but it was at the butterfly exhibit of the Natural History Museum. I wonder whose is the patron of the NHM? Oh, yes - it's Kate. Now that millions of people have seen the butterfly photos maybe some of those people if they are near London will go and visit the butterflies at NHM. What great free advertising and raising the profile of the butterfly exhibit. I wonder who thought to do the photos there- Kate perhaps?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Royal Highness

Duty come first for the royal family.

Your statement about Charles is harsh.

You do not know if there was a party on Saturday/Sunday for George that Charles attended. Or if the party was originally planned for Saturday/Sunday but William/Kate changed the plans and Charles was not able to change his schedule. Or if the party will be held this Saturday/Sunday.

The Queen & Prince Philip were not at Prince Charles' first, second or third birthday. They also were not there for Charles' first Christmas even though he was not yet 6 weeks old. The Queen & Prince Philip also missed Charles' second Christmas.

They made it for his 5th birthday but were 3 days late as they had a shooting party at Sandringham.

Diana and Charles missed William's first birthday. They were in Canada.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 AM
Nobility

Why does the song, "Cat's In the Cradle", suddenly jump up in my mind?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Royal Highness

Perfect selection.

Now that song will stay in my head.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It is very possible in my book that Kate goes about doing a lot of things for her charities and the Royal family that just isn't called to our attention. William and Kate have very good reasons to want to keep the media at bay and to be honest, I don't blame them. I think they've been working very hard to set limits and ensure those limits are becoming set in stone. We see Kate only when the media is allowed to be there. The private photo sessions are very few and far between.

It will be interesting to see the media frenzy as Kate goes to Malta.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Even if that isn't the best for the nation - that is the difference between William and The Queen - she doesn't always do what is best for her or what she wants to do but what she knows she has to do and what is best for the nation - she, and Charles, have a sense of duty that seems lacking in William and even more so in Kate.

---------------------------------------------------

William is what the Queen and Charles have groomed him to be ...perhaps they realize there are some pitfalls with the approach they took and are trying to find a more balanced way of things ...afterall the monarchy is not what it was when the Queen was crowned.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's going to be fun watching the royal spin doctors over the next few years earn their keep with these two.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Lets face it, this isn't about how many engagements W&K carry out. William doesn't collect a salary from the government. Everything he receives comes from the Queen and she is the only person to answer to parliament.

The same people who criticise William and Kate for not working enough are usually the first people to bash them when they do public engagements. Most times a mixture of Americans and Aussies republicans and members of team Harry.

The other argument people seem to use against the Cambridges is that because William is 2nd in line to the throne he should do more but if we use this yardstick then all the Queen's grandchildren should do more. Up until last year Harry was 3rd in line and did hardly no official engagements.

Same with the York girls. If the Queen is in such a clamour for more "working royals" she could enlist Beatrice.

I've long ago accepted the fact that certain people just don't like Kate and it wouldn't matter what she did they still won't like her.

Imo Kate should just keep on doing what she is doing because for the critics they look to have a pop at her regardless of what she does.

I'll repeat what I stated earlier. If Camilla after 10 years of marriage and our next Queen, married to the heir to the throne, if she can do around 250 engagements a year than Kate is in the clear.

Camilla's numbers put her in 8th place overall behind even the Duke of Gloucester. Now if this is acceptable for out next Queen than Kate should be given all the time in the world.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles