The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

catherina with charles look perfect!

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
Compared to the female entertainers we love to hate, Kate would be considered exemplary. However, she has yet to do anything that could be considered worthy of emulation, unless it was snagging a prince.

Yes, she's been working for the last couple of months on a part-time basis, but has not accomplished anything tangible.

Disagree with me if you like.
100% agree, she's getting a ridiculous amount of praise for something she's supposed to do.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

She's making people smile. If you look at the pictures from the hockey visit in particular, everyone who comes into contact with her enjoys it. At a time of austerity, massive cuts, unemployment and general all around unhappiness, she's brought a certain freshness and positivity to the national conversation. I think everyone has been surprised at how quickly she's taken to her engagements, at her ability to connect with the general public, and at the fact that she seems to enjoy meeting people as much as they enjoy meeting her.

In addition, in a world where Katie Price and the 'stars' of The Only Way Is Essex are considered role models, Kate is a tonic for people who despair at the general failure of our public figures to conduct themselves with dignity and sincerity.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Courtier

The ridiculous amount of praise and the ridiculous amount of criticism balance each other out.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
The ridiculous amount of praise and the ridiculous amount of criticism balance each other out.
In total agreement with you there! That's why they are called personal opinions folks....both negative and positive are welcome If some consider Kate to be a role model in lieu of the reality stars who are looking to milk their fifteen minutes of fame, than so be it. Likewise for those who think that there are other people to use as role models (i.e. teachers, firefighters, soldiers, those who work with charities, etc.).

Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
She's making people smile. If you look at the pictures from the hockey visit in particular, everyone who comes into contact with her enjoys it. At a time of austerity, massive cuts, unemployment and general all around unhappiness, she's brought a certain freshness and positivity to the national conversation. I think everyone has been surprised at how quickly she's taken to her engagements, at her ability to connect with the general public, and at the fact that she seems to enjoy meeting people as much as they enjoy meeting her.

In addition, in a world where Katie Price and the 'stars' of The Only Way Is Essex are considered role models, Kate is a tonic for people who despair at the general failure of our public figures to conduct themselves with dignity and sincerity.
You said it well . I'm in agreement. In all pictures that I've seen of Catherine's engagements, those who surround her are smiling. She does have the knack to make those around her feel good.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Compared to the female entertainers we love to hate, Kate would be considered exemplary. However, she has yet to do anything that could be considered worthy of emulation, unless it was snagging a prince.

Yes, she's been working for the last couple of months on a part-time basis, but has not accomplished anything tangible.
That is up to discussion. But IMHO we can only really start the discussion once we agreed on our position towards femalke, who dare to live the life as one part of an marriage item and do things traditionally. I don't think the suffragettes risked their reputation and Women's Lib activists took their time to force women in a different direction: their aim was the choice between all possibilities life has to offer.

So in my book Catherine had any right to find her prince, fall in love, wait for him to marry her while building a good, endurable relationship and then to take her place as his wife with all the duties, Royal or not, that entails. That was her choice and IMHO she had a right to make it. And now she has started to use her new position in order to make other people aware of problems in society and of the help the monarchy has to offer this society. Even if this means that people are just smiling.

But noone honestly thought she would become a peacebringer and new messiah wrapped in one? And is now disappointed that she is instead just a normal, likeable girl who in her new position does all she can but of course it is not enough? And won't ever be? Do we really need instant success or are we allowed to applaud first steps in the hope a lot more are to come?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
But noone honestly thought she would become a peacebringer and new messiah wrapped in one? And is now disappointed that she is instead just a normal, likeable girl who in her new position does all she can but of course it is not enough? And won't ever be? Do we really need instant success or are we allowed to applaud first steps in the hope a lot more are to come?
You've burst my bubble; you mean I can't expect her to pronounce profound words of wisdom and be a seeker of the Holy Grail? There go all my expectations; that's what happens when you place someone on a pedestal and find out they have feet of clay and want them to be so much more than they possibly can. Guess I'd better take off my rose-colored glasses now.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

She's never going to make some people happy. I think that's something we can take away from every comment about her, from the moment we first found out she was dating William, to the post right before this one. No matter what, some people just aren't going to like her. That includes people here and people all over the world.

I think it's kind of sad, because she hasn't done anything worthy of that, but that's how it goes sometimes, I guess.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course, my post was made with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, I thought it couldn't be more obvious and there's no implication that I'm unhappy with Kate. To explain the intent of my original post: my expectations of Kate don't quite reach the superhuman level where she's languishing on a pedestal; I feel she's conducting herself very well in her public role and I think it's a lot easier for people to sit in judgment expecting her to live up to their own expectations than to walk in her shoes and try doing what she does before worldwide scrutiny.

This certainly takes all the fun out of injecting some humor here when you have to explain it!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Courtier

Just my observation there seems to be a lot of snobbery on this forum towards Kate. She hasn't done anything wrong as far as I can tell.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate has done well so far, but I feel it's now time for her to take on some more patronages.
Four is a very small number, when the Queen has around 800!

I think it's time she began adding a few, and attending more events as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Kate has done well so far, but I feel it's now time for her to take on some more patronages.

She only just started! I'm sure over time more will be added! With the 4 she has now at least she can dedicate a lot of time with them.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I agree with you, but I also love the fact that she wants to be " hands-on-" not just a figure head. You cannot do that if you are Patron of 800 groups. I am satisfied with her # of appearances.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Just my observation there seems to be a lot of snobbery on this forum towards Kate. She hasn't done anything wrong as far as I can tell.
You're not the only one who feels this way. I think she's doing a great job, especially for someone who hasn't been a royal for a long period of time. She went on a tour of Canada and US two months after getting married, and did a splendid job. She's only getting better, and if her work is part-time for the moment, so be it. She's not a full time royal, or the wife of the Heir Apparent.

Quote:

I think she will with time, and since this is the Jubilee Year, she'll have more reasons to be out and about, doing official engagements. However, if she took on more charities, then she won't be able to really work with them, and be just like many other celebrities, who show up at functions several times a year. I admire Catherine for wanting to make a difference, and do it by actually spending time with those who benefit from her work. She won't be able to do that if she had a ton of organizations to devote her attention to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I agree with you, but I also love the fact that she wants to be " hands-on-" not just a figure head. You cannot do that if you are Patron of 800 groups. I am satisfied with her # of appearances.
I love that she's so 'hands-on' as well. Like you, I'm happy with what she's been doing so far, and look forward to many more engagements in the years to come.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
That is up to discussion. But IMHO we can only really start the discussion once we agreed on our position towards femalke, who dare to live the life as one part of an marriage item and do things traditionally. I don't think the suffragettes risked their reputation and Women's Lib activists took their time to force women in a different direction: their aim was the choice between all possibilities life has to offer.

So in my book Catherine had any right to find her prince, fall in love, wait for him to marry her while building a good, endurable relationship and then to take her place as his wife with all the duties, Royal or not, that entails. That was her choice and IMHO she had a right to make it. And now she has started to use her new position in order to make other people aware of problems in society and of the help the monarchy has to offer this society. Even if this means that people are just smiling.

Whew. All I said was she hadn't done anything yet...and that is more than just my opinion. It is a comment and I'm allowed to make a comment.

As for women's lib, I was there. I was accepted into an Ivy League school in the mid-1960s and went on to have a very satisfying career and marriage. Yes, I'm proud of it and am eminently qualified to speak of glass ceilings and female discrimination.

I understand what you are saying and don't disagree with your comments about Kate's "rights." She has the same rights as all the women on earth who were allowed to choose their husband. There is nothing special in that.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Catherine looks more and more sure of herself, it's great for her. I'm sure that she'll be a great representative of the Royal Family. She just needed some time to adopt this new life!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Of course, my post was made with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, I thought it couldn't be more obvious and there's no implication that I'm unhappy with Kate. To explain the intent of my original post: my expectations of Kate don't quite reach the superhuman level where she's languishing on a pedestal; I feel she's conducting herself very well in her public role and I think it's a lot easier for people to sit in judgment expecting her to live up to their own expectations than to walk in her shoes and try doing what she does before worldwide scrutiny.

This certainly takes all the fun out of injecting some humor here when you have to explain it!
I for one realised it was a tongue in cheek-comment and enjoyed it very much. Keep on cracking jokes - we all love a British kind of joke....
Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
All I said was she hadn't done anything yet...and that is more than just my opinion. It is a comment and I'm allowed to make a comment.
I'm not sure what you mean by "not done anything" if you say it that way. For she did something more than just marry and go shopping for new jewels and tiaras. She has taken on official responsibilities and it has leaked in several cases that she does other things in private with an aim to help others and use her new position to do that.

So IMHO your "comment" is just plain untrue or so absolutely biased that it is not a compliment for your Ivy League education to state something so obviously wrong as being more than an opinion, I'm afraid.

But maybe you want to elaborate more about the meaning of "not done anything"? For I'm really, really curious.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn
So IMHO your "comment" is just plain untrue or so absolutely biased that it is not a compliment for your Ivy League education to state something so obviously wrong as being more than an opinion, I'm afraid.
KittyAtlanta seems to be using the word "nothing" to say that Catherine has done nothing to deserve the high praise she seems to receive when attending engagements. In that sense, it is not wrong or untrue to say that, it's her opinion. I for one agree with KittyAtlanta that Catherine has really done nothing more than she is expected to. This is the same for all people marrying into every royal family, unless they carve out a specific path to do something extraordinary every event they attend is part of their "job". The same goes for Her Majesty, however the difference there is that as HM has been doing it for 60 years she commands a higher respect than Catherine.

Despite this, Catherine has provided a fresh face for the royals, their wedding, her recent engagements have sparked a new interest in the royal family which was well needed.

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles