Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The curious thing is that I have no idea about Kate's future roles. It seems quite certain that William is going to work as a ambulance pilot. (According to reliable press it's only a matter of confirmation in September). So, IMO we should wait to see what William will take up and then Catherine will follow as always. I'd personally like her to dedicate more to her patronages regarding children who need palliative cares... It seems they quite fit her:flowers:, And of course she might do more solo engagments...

One thing about royal patronages and charities is that the events that the public sees is often times booked months in advance. There is first the scheduling, then the work starts on just how the event is going to run and what will be done. Most times, to my understanding, its planned down to the very minute from start to finish. The security has to canvas the area and make sure all possible things that could go wrong are acknowledged and plans put in place for any kind of a scenario. ....
All of which costs money and requires time by staff and those being visited, not to mention the costs of increased police/security to the location they are visiting when they do visit.
To really ramp up to the number of 'engagements' which some clamor for, William and Catherine would need to funded/staffed at a much higher level and there's only so much money to pay for the Queen and Philip, Charles and Camilla, Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie etc., perhaps one solution would be to scale back these senior royals' events so as to free up money and staff for the Cambridges to do more, but somehow I think that's not going to happen in the near future.

I'm American, so it's possible I don't understand the purpose of royal patronage duties. But it seems to me that the whole point is to call attention to the charity, for the purpose of fundraising. I might add that I think this is a very worthy "job" and one which the royals are uniquely qualified to do. A private visit from a patron would be a lovely thing for the few people involved, and I hope they all do it from time to time. But as a fundraiser, it wouldn't be very effective.

As I said above, I have been a huge fan of the Duchess since I first learned about her right before the engagement. HUGE. I'm one of those people who stayed up all night long to watch the wedding, which was at 4:00 a.m. my time. I've followed her every appearance. Almost every day as I'm googling for news, I google her. She hasn't put a foot wrong in 3 1/2 years (except for her puzzling refusal to wear underwear in public).

So it's with disappointment that I say that it's beginning to seem that she's more a pampered housewife than a working royal. I don't begrudge the royals their lavish lifestyle, because most of them seem to work hard at a job only they can do. But if I were a UK taxpayer, I would be getting a little upset about the Duchess' obvious enjoyment of the "lavish" part of the bargain, while having little apparent interest in the "work" part.

I agree with 99% of this except the underwear thing. She wears them she just can't keep her skirt from flying over them.
I also am an American who likes Kate, I also stayed up all night to watch the wedding, think it was 5 am my time. And I also Am questioning what she does except look pretty and smile.

I was one of their hugest fans... just set my alarm clock here on the East Coast and took morning off from work - had my eyes GLUED to the TV. But gradually I too started to wonder just what she did all day too.

Haha I didn't go to work either. But I let them know a week in advance, my boss was older so I doubt he had any suspicions. I think it is not just.one or two things in regards to Kate and work, but a few things combinin and building on each other; again in regards to William I don't really have concerns because I view him as working, even if he takes the ambulance job.

One of the things she doesis teacg her sonto swim. At BP. Right now she is doingallthe mom stuff that most moms would wantto do.

She also planning stuff like tripto Belgium and Malta. she is a typical p/t working mum.

Haha I didn't go to work either. But I let them know a week in advance, my boss was older so I doubt he had any suspicions. I think it is not just.one or two things in regards to Kate and work, but a few things combinin and building on each other; again in regards to William I don't really have concerns because I view him as working, even if he takes the ambulance job.

I even warned my kids that the cartoons would not be on at 6:30 in the morning and I would tolerate very little noise. My perplexed 10 year old asked the following:

"So he's a prince and she's a princess?"

"No - he's a prince and when she marries him she'll be a princess."

"So let me get this straight.. he's a prince and he's just marrying someone off the street?"

"Are you finished breakfast yet?"

One of the things she doesis teacg her sonto swim. At BP. Right now she is doingallthe mom stuff that most moms would wantto do.

She also planning stuff like tripto Belgium and Malta. she is a typical p/t working mum.

I do hope you're posting from your phone, Cepe....:whistling:

:flowers:

"Right now she is doing all the mom stuff that most moms would want to do."

Serious question; then why does she have a full-time nanny?

Serious question; then why does she have a full-time nanny?

I think its a good thing she is a full time nanny. That way she is integrated into the family and is a huge part of George's life regardless of if Kate is around and takes the primary caregiver role of mommy.

George is very much more likely to be content and there will be no strange ladies coming to take care of him when mommy has to be away overnight (such as to Malta and perhaps Belgium). Its also peace of mind for William and Kate that George is very well adjusted to having Maria around.

Sophie's first year of marriage -- 1999 through 2000 -- she did not undertake official engagements of her own. She did accompany Edward to some functions, but it was very much publicized that she would be a career woman and not an official engagement undertaking royal.

This is from her pre-wedding interview:

" . . . Asked how she saw her future, she told a television interviewer: ''I certainly see it more in a supporting role to Edward rather than rushing off and forging my own path, going off and taking on the mantle of various charities.''

Showing her practiced hand at public relations, she added: ''I also think there is the Queen and the rest of the Royal Family doing an exceptionally wonderful job in a public role. I don't see a massive need for me to go out there and do the same thing.''

At Windsor, Royal Wedding Has a Common Touch - NYTimes.com

The undercover investigation of Sophie's firm is what catapulted her into a full-fledged working royal.

I have said it very clearly that Sophie was working full-time in her PR firm in her first two years but managed 120 engagements in the first full year - 2000.

Kate, in her first full year - 2012 with the Jubilee and Olympics to pad her figures and no full-time job did 123.

That is an awful comparison for Kate whatever way you look at it or try to justify it.

Sophie accompanied Edward - sure - and Kate accompanied William. Edward was also working for his company Ardent at the time and managed nearly 200 while holding down a full-time job.

What excuses are there for how little William and Kate have done that really stand up?

If Sophie and Edward could do nearly 300 between them in 2000 while both working full-time then William and Kate should be able to do the same thing - but they don't - and as Edward and Sophie both had jobs the excuse that William was in the RAF doesn't hold water as he could have followed their example and done things when he wasn't at work as they did - remembering that his official duties actually count as part of his military service.

They have a child - sure but that is no excuse in this day and age to do nothing with all the privileges they have.

I think its a good thing she is a full time nanny. That way she is integrated into the family and is a huge part of George's life regardless of if Kate is around and takes the primary caregiver role of mommy.

George is very much more likely to be content and there will be no strange ladies coming to take care of him when mommy has to be away overnight (such as to Malta and perhaps Belgium). Its also peace of mind for William and Kate that George is very well adjusted to having Maria around.

Then what does the nanny do all day?

Then what does the nanny do all day?

I would have absolutely no clue. We have seen pictures of her taking George for a stroll though so she probably does spend some time each day with him. This would give Kate time to do other things such as phone calls, cook dinner, work on correspondence etc. I remember when my first one was one year old, the only time I had to myself was nap time during the day.

With the nanny always there, should Kate be gone from the home for engagements, shopping or just about anything, George's routine at home keeps on a steady schedule and he's around people he's very comfortable with. It is also very possible that Kate and Maria have become fast friends too and enjoy each other's company.

Catherine is about to embark on her first solo trip on behalf of The Queen but I hope her royal role is more defined and carved out to help show her position as a senior royal. With all this talk about William taking on a full-time job and retreating from royal duties, I hope Catherine won't retreat as well. I've always said that the Cambridge's should be seen doing more and not retreating from their positions.

I just think their positions are so unclear and it's caused a great deal of confusion that even the royal reporters and correspondents are confused.

Last edited:
This still brings us back to the fact that Charles has said there isn't enough money for William and Catherine to be full time.

Didn't Charles get a raise in his income? I've been saying for a while that the focus should be on the main royals. The family is very big and too many of the minor royals are working full-time and the ones that should be working full-time isn't.

I have said it very clearly that Sophie was working full-time in her PR firm in her first two years but managed 120 engagements in the first full year - 2000.

Kate, in her first full year - 2012 with the Jubilee and Olympics to pad her figures and no full-time job did 123.

That is an awful comparison for Kate whatever way you look at it or try to justify it.

Sophie accompanied Edward - sure - and Kate accompanied William. Edward was also working for his company Ardent at the time and managed nearly 200 while holding down a full-time job.

What excuses are there for how little William and Kate have done that really stand up?

If Sophie and Edward could do nearly 300 between them in 2000 while both working full-time then William and Kate should be able to do the same thing - but they don't - and as Edward and Sophie both had jobs the excuse that William was in the RAF doesn't hold water as he could have followed their example and done things when he wasn't at work as they did - remembering that his official duties actually count as part of his military service.

They have a child - sure but that is no excuse in this day and age to do nothing with all the privileges they have.

The comparison is also between figures 15 years apart. Hasn't Britain changed a lot since then? Hasn't the RF changed a lot, in some ways - and then not at all, in others?

:previous:
I want to add that Sophie was after the queen hightest ranking lady in the country. Now the family has Camilla.

Didn't Charles get a raise in his income? I've been saying for a while that the focus should be on the main royals. The family is very big and too many of the minor royals are working full-time and the ones that should be working full-time isn't.

The Prince of Wales gets no income but lives from the revenues of the Duchy of Cornwall. It is largely to the Prince himself that his Duchy has developed and prospered so succesfully, we may even argue it is one of the best managed estates in the whole of the United Kingdom. Essentially the Prince "earns his own money" because the more succesful the management, the more revenue it gains which means more income for him.

:flowers:

[....] And I also Am questioning what she does except look pretty and smile.

Eeerhhh.... "Shut Up And Be Pretty" is largely the core public role next to a royal person. That counts for Daniel, who has to shut up and be pretty next to Crown Princess Victoria and that counts Charlène who has to shut up and be pretty next to Prince Albert.

Of course royal spouses try to develop "an own role" but essentially they are just leaning a good face to an organization or institution they try to support. The only royal lady which really seems to have floated away in a whole own role seems Queen Máxima of the Netherlands. That will undoubtedly have to do with her public appeal, chaiwsma and her very own lavish independent budget.

Ok quick question, who pays for the other royals engagements? Princess Anne is apparently the hardest working so who pays for her? If indeed Charles has to pay for the engagements of Harry William Camilla Kate and himself then that appears to me that he is paying to work; isn't that backwards?

Eeerhhh.... "Shut Up And Be Pretty" is largely the core public role next to a royal person. That counts for Daniel, who has to shut up and be pretty next to Crown Princess Victoria and that counts Charlène who has to shut up and be pretty next to Prince Albert.

Of course royal spouses try to develop "an own role" but essentially they are just leaning a good face to an organization or institution they try to support. The only royal lady which really seems to have floated away in a whole own role seems Queen Máxima of the Netherlands. That will undoubtedly have to do with her public appeal, chaiwsma and her very own lavish independent budget.

I get that, it's not just. Criticism of Kate but the system. I just feel she could speak and talk a little more.

I was under the impression that the Sovereign's Grant covered the expenses for everyone else.

I get that, it's not just. Criticism of Kate but the system. I just feel she could speak and talk a little more.

IMO the "system" wanted a return to the old days where the spouse played a supportive role to their born royal husband or wife after the Diana and Sarah years. That's the impression that I've gotten from observing Sophie, Camilla and Kate once they married into the BRF. IMHO the palace didn't want the non-royal spouse becoming a media star if they could have a say in the matter.

IMO the "system" wanted a return to the old days where the spouse played a supportive role to their born royal husband or wife after the Diana and Sarah years. That's the impression that I've gotten from observing Sophie, Camilla and Kate once they married into the BRF. IMHO the palace didn't want the non-royal spouse becoming a media star if they could have a say in the matter.

That is true enough - they will never create another "Diana" if they can help it.

Adds.. please God, don't let the conversation now turn to Diana... please (on my knees)

Hmmm I don't know about that. Sophie looked like Diana but she didn't have star quality. I don't think Camilla ever wanted this life so she is fine just being in the background as much as she can. Kate has shown through the 8yrs before she married that she won't play to the media's desire for a headline. Diana and Sarah seemed to have different personalities, a need to be looked at and the center of attention. None of the current wives seem to have that desire which has lead to their relationships lasting.
Even without taking the spotlight from William, I feel Kate could do more and talk more, give more speeches instead of just having her picture taken at an event.

Ok quick question, who pays for the other royals engagements? Princess Anne is apparently the hardest working so who pays for her? If indeed Charles has to pay for the engagements of Harry William Camilla Kate and himself then that appears to me that he is paying to work; isn't that backwards?

It is my understanding that it is the Queen that does pay for all of the royal's (including William and Kate and Harry) official duties out of the Sovereign Grant such as wardrobe, transportation etc. Up until now though, it has been the tax payer that has been paying for the security needed for protection. If I'm not mistaken, even some of the protection now will be in the hands of HM.

Charles supports William, Kate and Harry's private lives (rent, food, clothing, etc) The Duke of York supports his daughters. Anne and Tim, I think, have their own enterprises in the equine area. Not sure about Edward and Sophie.

I know its been the general misconception that a lot of people have that the tax payer pays for the royal's lifestyles but this is very far from the truth.

Even without taking the spotlight from William, I feel Kate could do more and talk more, give more speeches instead of just having her picture taken at an event.

I think Kate is actually one that tries to blend in with the people surrounding her at an event and deliberately tries not to constantly stand out. It is her way of trying to put the most focus possible on why she is there and the people that are doing the work for the charity/patronage or cause. She's very very good at interacting with the people there including the crowd that has turned out to see her and also very cunning in doing it in such a way to discourage the media from focusing on her. They do anyways (clothes, hair, makeup, shoes) but she's not encouraging them.

In the end it remains taxpayers' money because to the left or to the right, the nation gives royal Duchies (Cornwall, Lancaster), Sovereign Grants and civil list allowances to the royal family.

Kate has shown through the 8yrs before she married that she won't play to the media's desire for a headline.(...) None of the current wives seem to have that desire which has lead to their relationships lasting.

I think Kate is actually one that tries to blend in with the people surrounding her at an event and deliberately tries not to constantly stand out. It is her way of trying to put the most focus possible on why she is there and the people that are doing the work for the charity/patronage or cause. She's very very good at interacting with the people there including the crowd that has turned out to see her and also very cunning in doing it in such a way to discourage the media from focusing on her. They do anyways (clothes, hair, makeup, shoes) but she's not encouraging them.

I'll have to disagree with that. I think Kate was quite comfortable in being in the spotlight and didn't seem to mind all that press histeria around her in the first years of her marriage. (which had its good side). But William's deployment to the Falklands put an end to it. When he was away, Kate did a bunch of engagements and was doing pretty well, looking ver happy, etc. When he returned, things changed. I have the feeling someone (William? the palace?) started to see in front of their eyes a new situation of wife of the heir being so popular that she completely outstages the heir, and immediately put an end to it, limiting the number of engagements she does. Which could also explain why she does much fewer engagements than William since then. It seems clear to me that, no matter how willing to work Kate is, her engagement numbers will always be smaller than William's. She'll never be allowed to upstage him. (yes, she will always do because everytime she appears, nobody notices him, but there will be damage control by not allowing her to appear so often). Is Kate happy with it? I'm not sure she is. As I said, she seemed over the moon to me during those engagements he was away and she could be the star.

Yes, I know this is only speculation on my part, but it's how I feel watching their "movements"

None of the royals have ever worried about being upstaged by their spouses. Charles had that problem back in the day but everybody else seems to be very fine with the spotlight on their wives.

I just wish Catherine's role within the "Firm" is clarified. There's clarity on Camilla's role and Sophie's role but Catherine's role is a bit shaky, IMO. Hopefully her first solo trip on the Queen's behalf is a sign that her role is about to be defined more clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom