The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Courtier

Kate Middleton Getting Her Royal Charity On! | PerezHilton.com

Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Commoner

Kate Middleton is not for rushing - Telegraph

She seems to be working hard to end up exactly with the charities she wants.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Agnes View Post
Kate Middleton is not for rushing - Telegraph

She seems to be working hard to end up exactly with the charities she wants.
And I command her for it. These charities will be life-long commitments and it's important to be certain that the causes are things she's passionate about.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Good for Kate that she isn't rushing into making critical decisions. I doubt she can change her mind afterward, so she does need to look very carefully at those charities she wants to give her patronage to.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

DUDE! She can't change her mind? That sux! I don't know why I thought they could change charities after awhile if they did not find it fulfilling.
And she will definitely be criticized from some who do not approve of her choices of charities.
If she chooses AIDS, there will be the "She's a Diana follower, why did she choose AIDS" group.
If she chooses Cancer..."What is she too good for AIDS charities, she's so stuck up and fake".
If she goes the route of William and Harry and focuses on Africa..."She is such a follower, why can't she choose her own thing. Plus why isn't she focusing on Europe, she's European isn't she?"
If her charity choses only focus on Europe..."That's close minded, what about the people outside of Europe who need help?" It could go on and on.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
DUDE! She can't change her mind? That sux! I don't know why I thought they could change charities after awhile if they did not find it fulfilling.
And she will definitely be criticized from some who do not approve of her choices of charities.
If she chooses AIDS, there will be the "She's a Diana follower, why did she choose AIDS" group.
If she chooses Cancer..."What is she too good for AIDS charities, she's so stuck up and fake".
If she goes the route of William and Harry and focuses on Africa..."She is such a follower, why can't she choose her own thing. Plus why isn't she focusing on Europe, she's European isn't she?"
If her charity choses only focus on Europe..."That's close minded, what about the people outside of Europe who need help?" It could go on and on.
Get ready Xenia, the criticism is going to flow like the Nile. It will not matter one bit what she chooses.

Some people have already made up their minds and absolutely nothing she does will be good enough.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
Get ready Xenia, the criticism is going to flow like the Nile. It will not matter one bit what she chooses.

Some people have already made up their minds and absolutely nothing she does will be good enough.
You and Xenia hit the nail on the spot. It's sad that at the end of the day, it won't matter what she does, because people will focus on what she [I]didn't[I] choose to affiliate with. That is frustrating, because she can (and definitely will) do a great deal of good. Well, at any rate, I'm looking forward to hearing about the charities she'll pick and her work with those organizations.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post

Patronages are for a fixed period of time so there's no question of "could she change her mind?", etc. The poster who stated that they are life-long commitments was incorrect. Many royals continue to be a part of specific charities for long periods of time but the organisations are required to reapply for patronage IIRC after around 5 years. If she were to begin her own trust or foundation like The Prince's Trust that would certainly be a life-long commitment but only because of her hypothetical role as founder and namesake...
Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Patronages are for a fixed period of time so there's no question of "could she change her mind?", etc. The poster who stated that they are life-long commitments was incorrect. Many royals continue to be a part of specific charities for long periods of time but the organisations are required to reapply for patronage IIRC after around 5 years. If she were to begin her own trust or foundation like The Prince's Trust that would certainly be a life-long commitment but only because of her hypothetical role as founder and namesake...
Thank you for the clarification. This of course makes sense; she can work on multiple causes at different periods of her life, as well as decide if she wants to focus on a few charities at first, and later add on a couple of more.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Thank you for the clarification. This of course makes sense; she can work on multiple causes at different periods of her life, as well as decide if she wants to focus on a few charities at first, and later add on a couple of more.
Exactly. It's too bad 'The University of St. Andrews 600th Appeal' took place before she was officially a member as it would have been a perfect first patronage for her: obvious relationship to her and something close to her heart as well as (as seen from William's participation in it) a low-key engagement.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, it's good that nothing is written in stone and as Kate evolves, so can her associations with charities of her choice. But I'm sure it wouldn't look very nice if she dropped a charity in mid-stream; I don't think she could change her mind at that point unless the organization was involved in a scandal or anything detrimental to her reputation. That would certainly set tongues wagging otherwise!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Nobility

I'm exicted because, if the papers are right, she will choose arts as one of her areas of interest. I think what she chooses will get us better insight into her personality and her loves.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

In most cases members of the BRF take on patronages for life
Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Courtier

I thought I had read that she was looking at being patron of special projects.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton is being courted by another prestigious tennis club | Mail Online

If it's true that the Duchess of Gloucester is retiring, this might indeed be a nice patronage for Kate to take over.
Something innocuous, something she'd probably enjoy, something not too demanding.

I don't see how anyone could actually object to it, so why not?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I definitely could see Kate taking on the tennis patronage. It would suit her interest in athleticism and would certainly be very enjoyable for her in addition to upping interest in tennis and drawing the crowds in.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton is being courted by another prestigious tennis club | Mail Online

If it's true that the Duchess of Gloucester is retiring, this might indeed be a nice patronage for Kate to take over.
Something innocuous, something she'd probably enjoy, something not too demanding.

I don't see how anyone could actually object to it, so why not?
I would hope, though, that if Kate takes on this particular patronage as her first, that it would be very closely followed by a second patronage that deals with a serious issue such as domestic violence, etc. It doesn't have to be demanding but as anyone who has worked in non-profits knows, it's incredibly rewarding.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

If Kate takes on a certain number of charities, I don't see why she can't blend the ones with serious issues with others dealing with the arts and physical fitness, including sports. Again, it depends on what she wants to focus on and assume at this point in her position.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
If Kate takes on a certain number of charities, I don't see why she can't blend the ones with serious issues with others dealing with the arts and physical fitness, including sports. Again, it depends on what she wants to focus on and assume at this point in her position.
True; Diana did charity work related to health issues, but was also a patron of the ballet, since dance was one of her passions.

I'm hoping Kate will mix it up and have some variety.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
Taxpayers pays for royals protections and they have right to know how their money is spend. Actually DM often writes positive articles about Kate so few words of truth won't hurt. People are not stupid, not everybody is happy about lifestyle of royals.
The taxpayer knows they're paying for royal protection. What else is there to know? DM specifically added the " at least & taxpayer funded" sentiment into a sentence about Catherine travelling first class to Mustique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
When it comes to the public opinion, the royals must tread very cautiously. Public adoration could turn into public dislike fast. It is a part of the job description. One might argue that Duke and Duchess of Cambridge could have gone to holiday locally and, thus, contributed to a much-needed economic boost of a particular area.
Sorry but with the weather in England, anybody who volunteers to holiday here in Winter is loopy. A much needed economy boost? Two extra guests isn't going to save a company or hotel in the long run. I can't imagine Catherine and William publishing what hotel they would have stayed in, so publicity for the place would be out of the question too.
Middletons and William have i'm presuming paid for themselves to fly first class and stay in Mustique, so if you can afford it why not spend some time away? Even commoners do it, and as this royal couple have claimed numerous times they are trying to be as normal as possible.
I doubt William and Catherine going on holiday abroad will make the public instantly hate the monarchy, even at the height of the Diana troubles the monarchy was still extremely popular. My issue is with the DM stirring trouble when it's not needed.

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles