The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I would like to see her take up animal welfare organizations. I don't think this will happen, though, as it has been said her favorite food is pate de foi gras.

Otherwise, the elderly need more attention.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Wasn't a thread like this created a while ago? :S

Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Wasn't a thread like this created a while ago? :S

Not exactly a thread of it's own, but this one overlaps with the Duties and Roles thread.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I would like to see her take up animal welfare organizations. I don't think this will happen, though, as it has been said her favorite food is pate de foi gras.
I would too- We can't say what her favorite food is for sure, but I still doubt it would happen- the media would then criticize the BRF for hunting and stalking, and other field sports. ( not trying to stir up a debate about that here, BTW, just making an observation.)

I think charities that deal with sick kids will make the list....
Before her marriage, she was involved in fundraising for Oxford Children's Hospital, and also the Middletons support The Starlight Foundation U.K.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy

Not exactly a thread of it's own, but this one overlaps with the Duties and Roles thread.
Maybe, but I swear it was moved because the duties thread existed.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Maybe, but I swear it was moved because the duties thread existed.

Wasn't it called 'Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages'? It was in the D and D of Cambridge forum where William had one of his own with the same title I thought...

I also hope she would take up an animal welfare cause. Perhaps she can share RSPCA with the Queen? Or sports: rowing, swimming, whatever hasn't been taken already by another royal. Maybe given her recent trip to Canada she could represent a charity there or a Canada-UK organisation like some of the Commonwealth patronages Charles has?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I would too- We can't say what her favorite food is for sure, but I still doubt it would happen- the media would then criticize the BRF for hunting and stalking, and other field sports. ( not trying to stir up a debate about that here, BTW, just making an observation.)

I think charities that deal with sick kids will make the list....
Before her marriage, she was involved in fundraising for Oxford Children's Hospital, and also the Middletons support The Starlight Foundation U.K.
I also hope that she does charities involving children who are seriously/terminally ill, but it would be wonderful if she supported something special education related. I've read so many stories about children not getting the services they need due to lack of funds or good advocates (who care about the CHILD not about how much money can be saved when drilling into the parents' head that 'adequate yearly progress' [passing with the skin of one's teeth] is all that the child needs and therefore, no changes will be made to the existing program). I think she could do great things in this field, and it would be appreciated by children, parents and educators.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Courtier

My two cents' worth:

Bullying!!!
Sport - given her love of outdoor activity; don't know which kind though
Elderly - great suggestion from an earlier post, especially Alzheimer's
Emergency Services - William connection?
Underprivileged/underserved youth of some sort - to piggyback on the disenfranchised youth from the riots
The Arts - Almost forgot this one, especially as an outreach to youth

Really we could go down the list of beneficiaries from their wedding foundation and get a great start!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

There are some really great ideas being brainstormed here. Given Kate's love of children, maybe a patronage similar to the Fresh Air Fund, a non-profit agency in the U.S. that provides free summer vacations in the country to underprivileged children from New York City. If an organization like that exists in the UK, it could be a possibility. Or, given her love of sports and outdoor activity, a patronage with an agency that offers disabled or underprivileged children/youth exposure to this area who might not have enough of it in their lives.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
mmmmm, yummy, I love it too.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books
You know, I could well imagine Kate still having a hand in Party Pieces since it's such a family affair and she might want to remain involved for now (in between her lessons on statecraft, protocol and procedures, government affairs, researching charities etc.) Who knows what input she still contributes? That's an interesting thought.
I disagree. I think Sophie and Edward are prime examples of why it doesn't work out when royals are involved in private jobs, or at least the more well known royals. I do believe Kate's stepped away from the family business totally (aside maybe from chit chat with Mum and Dad) and I applaud it as an excellent and mature decision on her part (and to be honest possibly a required one)
Old 09-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

That may be true, and Sophie and Edward's involvement in their respective businesses were fiascos, but this is party planning as opposed to PR and making documentaries, and Kate could just be only on its periphery if she still has a creative brainstorm or two she can share with her family. But if she has severed all ties, it's probably a wise decision considering what she's got on her plate.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Duchess of Cambridge to become Queen of Arts - Telegraph

The Duchess of Cambridge is to become a patron of the arts as part of her future role in public life.

The Duchess is considering supporting a number of national arts institutions, thought to include The Tate, the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and the V&A.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This article kinda contradicts the ones that say she's bored of a quiet life?

Kate Middleton: Does the Firm know what to do with the Duchess of Cambridge? | Mail Online
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Serene Highness

Strange article. The innuendo of the title, then everything else which is pure conjecture/illusion on the part of the writer. Even venturing into a criticism of the Buckingham Palace exhibit. Mostly a hodge podge, IMO.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
This article kinda contradicts the ones that say she's bored of a quiet life?

Kate Middleton: Does the Firm know what to do with the Duchess of Cambridge? | Mail Online
Yea, it's a weird article- sounds like mostly filler because editors want more Kate news and there isn't much to print.

What's funny is the assumption that there's no work for her to do when she's not doing royal duties, when truthfully, she could probably work 18 hour days just at answering her correspondence if she chose to! It makes absolute sense that she's taking time to learn the ropes- even just to establish a good working relationship with her office staff and figuring out what she'd like to answer personally and what needs to be delegated. And as for charitable work- of course she should take her time! Sitting on the board of a charity isn't as easy as a lot of people seem to think. To be an informed board member, you have to understand an organizations finances, fundraising activity, goals, organizational and management structure. Can you imagine the scandal if she chose poorly and picked an organization that looks good on the surface but has some skeletons in the closet?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Duchess of Cambridge to become Queen of Arts - Telegraph

The Duchess of Cambridge is to become a patron of the arts as part of her future role in public life.

The Duchess is considering supporting a number of national arts institutions, thought to include The Tate, the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and the V&A.
This is wonderful, but surprises me somehow. Though I have read that the Duchess is very interested in the arts, in which case patronages of these institutions would be a perfect fit, I have always seen her role as working with young people.
Nothing is offical yet though.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
This is wonderful, but surprises me somehow. Though I have read that the Duchess is very interested in the arts, in which case patronages of these institutions would be a perfect fit, I have always seen her role as working with young people.
Nothing is offical yet though.
I think she'll do well as a patron of some organizations that deal with art due to her interest in the subject as well as her university degree. I also think that she'll go along the routes of helping young people and working with children too. She has enough passion for both, or so it appears.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Courtier

Kate Middleton takes on first royal patronage - The Times of India

"We believe that it will provide a unique opportunity for us to use our privileged position to make a real difference in the future to many areas of charitable work," the Daily Express quoted Prince William as saying.

"We feel passionately that, working closely together with those who contribute to our foundation, we can help to make a long-lasting and tangible difference," he added.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Commoner

I believe that whatever the Duchess chooses to support in a public fashion, there will always be a negative reaction from some outlets about what she has chosen NOT to support. If she has chosen to focus on the arts, she will surely do a wonderful job. Linking the arts, like others have posted on here, is not going to be a difficult job to do in terms of working with children or those who are underpriviledged as creativity can do wonders for people who haven't been given a chance to do so before, and I think Catherine would enjoy supporting those organisations that do just that

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles