The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #621  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Lady Ann's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IN THE CITY, United States
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post

This is wonderful to read.
__________________

__________________
Lady Ann
Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face…~ George Eliot ~
  #622  
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,114
This was posted on my twitter. There are two sides to everything; a negative and a positive. I see what the author is saying about the training making Catherine appear more poised in public, but to insinuate that this is an indoctrination of sorts is rather harsh. I don't see her losing her spark; it's who she is, but I do see her being just a little less exuberant. I certainly hope that she doesn't drop that charm that so many love about her. After watching William, who has received plenty of training, I don't see the loss of that human touch. He's very open (albeit uncomfortable) when in public, but I don't see him cringing when a child is reaching out to shake his hand.

Marilyn's Royal Blog: Why training Catherine to be Royal is a bad idea
__________________

__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #623  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
I agree; I don't see Kate losing her very essence of her personality and charm, but it probably will be curbed a bit. I supposed she'll be honed into the image of a proper princess, but given William and Diana's appeal to the masses and conveying the human touch I'd like to think that Kate will follow suit.
  #624  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I agree; I don't see Kate losing her very essence of her personality and charm, but it probably will be curbed a bit. I supposed she'll be honed into the image of a proper princess, but given William and Diana's appeal to the masses and conveying the human touch I'd like to think that Kate will follow suit.
I think when push comes to shove, Catherine will look to her husband for cues. They seem to work off of each other, and it did wonders. William lights up at public appearances because of Catherine's ease among people, and Catherine feels confident in her role when she sees his pride in her strides. William comes off as caring and compassionate person, who's not afraid to chat to regular people using slang (remember him using the word 'awesome' while visiting a facility for the homeless in [I believe] Quebec? How many times do we hear senior Royals talking like that?) I think (and hope) that she'll follow his lead.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #625  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 664
Dear me - the knives are being drawn again, aren't they? Poor Duchess!

The fact is that this 'news' is old news. Catherine had a 'mentor' appointed well before the wedding - Sir David Manning - to advise and inform her on matters of state and foreign affairs.

The decision to appoint him as an adviser and "safe pair of hands" to guide the Duchess was seen as a move by royal courtiers not to make the same mistakes as were made with the late Diana, Princess of Wales, who felt that she was not adequately prepared for royal life.

The Queen is also said to have specifically requested that Sir David accompany Prince William on his first solo foreign tour last year to Australia and New Zealand, undertaken on behalf of the monarch and to accompany the royal couple on their first foreign tour of Canada after their wedding in April.

Sir David was earlier appointed as an adviser to Princes William and Harry on the instructions of the Queen when they formed their own private office at the beginning of 2009. He is an eminently distinguished diplomat, having been the UK's ambassador to Washington, and is seen to be playing a similar role to that of Gen. Sir Frederick Browning, a decorated soldier who fought in both world wars, who acted as an adviser to Princess Elizabeth in the 1940s. Please note: even a princess raised as a royal from birth and who was the heir for most of her young life needed a mentor and guidance.

The Duchess is an intelligent, educated woman and there can be no doubt that she is eager to understand the geo-political ramifications of the world that she is now part of and will be expected to represent on the Commonwealth's behalf. Critics should applaud the efforts of the Palace to adequately prepare the future Queen by ensuring that she's sufficiently au fait with current political (and historical) expectations.

Those who would suggest that it will, somehow, 'spoil' Catherine really don't know what they're talking about. Quite properly, the Duchess is expected to become more than just a smiling, pretty face who's merely a 'wifely support' for William.
  #626  
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 7,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think when push comes to shove, Catherine will look to her husband for cues. They seem to work off of each other, and it did wonders. William lights up at public appearances because of Catherine's ease among people, and Catherine feels confident in her role when she sees his pride in her strides. William comes off as caring and compassionate person, who's not afraid to chat to regular people using slang (remember him using the word 'awesome' while visiting a facility for the homeless in [I believe] Quebec? How many times do we hear senior Royals talking like that?) I think (and hope) that she'll follow his lead.
I can imagine a lot of us can look back and remember being newlyweds and having that "You and me against the world" feelings that I have to imagine that William and Kate are still experiencing. Feeling so good to be getting off work and head home to someone that is just as eagerly waiting for your arrival. Their lives together in the future are probably something that they both are planning, discussing and preparing for together and I would very much doubt that any decision that is made by either one of them right now would be a sole decision.

As far as watching the telly goes... I'm really really surprised at folks for not even suggesting that Kate gets on the computer, FBs her BFFEs, plays online WoW and has her own fantasy polo team! For all we know, she could still be helping out with Party Pieces.
Whatever she does, its none of our business. That's what privacy means.

All in good time....
  #627  
Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think when push comes to shove, Catherine will look to her husband for cues. They seem to work off of each other, and it did wonders. William lights up at public appearances because of Catherine's ease among people, and Catherine feels confident in her role when she sees his pride in her strides. William comes off as caring and compassionate person, who's not afraid to chat to regular people using slang (remember him using the word 'awesome' while visiting a facility for the homeless in [I believe] Quebec? How many times do we hear senior Royals talking like that?) I think (and hope) that she'll follow his lead.
Also, a major advantage is that William has a job that's not a sinecure so that brings him into the orbit of a very normal world outside the rarified circles he moves in, so he's therefore able to meet and associate with people on their own level. Kate is educated, intelligent and has had a normal upbringing which brings more normality for William that he holds near and dear. I really can't wait to see this couple in action in the years ahead.
  #628  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I can imagine a lot of us can look back and remember being newlyweds and having that "You and me against the world" feelings that I have to imagine that William and Kate are still experiencing. Feeling so good to be getting off work and head home to someone that is just as eagerly waiting for your arrival. Their lives together in the future are probably something that they both are planning, discussing and preparing for together and I would very much doubt that any decision that is made by either one of them right now would be a sole decision.

As far as watching the telly goes... I'm really really surprised at folks for not even suggesting that Kate gets on the computer, FBs her BFFEs, plays online WoW and has her own fantasy polo team! For all we know, she could still be helping out with Party Pieces.
Whatever she does, its none of our business. That's what privacy means.

All in good time....
This cracked me up . Who knows, maybe she even visits this forum. Under a name that we'd never, ever see her choosing either .

On a serious note though, you're correct. It's none of our business what she does when behind closed doors.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #629  
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
You know, I could well imagine Kate still having a hand in Party Pieces since it's such a family affair and she might want to remain involved for now (in between her lessons on statecraft, protocol and procedures, government affairs, researching charities etc.) Who knows what input she still contributes? That's an interesting thought.
  #630  
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
You know, I could well imagine Kate still having a hand in Party Pieces since it's such a family affair and she might want to remain involved for now (in between her lessons on statecraft, protocol and procedures, government affairs, researching charities etc.) Who knows what input she still contributes? That's an interesting thought.
If that's the case, I think it's wonderful. It gives her something to do, and allows her to be with her family (in some capacity). I imagine both are very important to her.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #631  
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
Not sure where to put this article, but PETA petitions Catherine to advocate for their cause:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/09/22/peta-begs-kate-middleton-to-stop-prince-william-from-shooting-birds/
  #632  
Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
seems the link has been deleted on the website?
  #633  
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 AM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Not sure where to put this article, but PETA petitions Catherine to advocate for their cause:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/09/22/peta-begs-kate-middleton-to-stop-prince-william-from-shooting-birds/
Even if Catherine takes up the PETA (which she should, it's a very good cause), it is unlikely that she or her partaking in the charity will stop William from shooting. The Queen is patron of RSPCA and Prince Philip as well as the rest of the family continue to shoot. Maybe perhaps Catherine won't shoot herself if she's involved with them?
  #634  
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane

Even if Catherine takes up the PETA (which she should, it's a very good cause), it is unlikely that she or her partaking in the charity will stop William from shooting. The Queen is patron of RSPCA and Prince Philip as well as the rest of the family continue to shoot. Maybe perhaps Catherine won't shoot herself if she's involved with them?
I seriously doubt she'd get involved with PETA- they're a pretty controversial organization.
  #635  
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 AM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I seriously doubt she'd get involved with PETA- they're a pretty controversial organization.


Yes, some members of PETA do controversial things but it is overall a good organisation that is passionate about its cause. No different then some of the royal patronages in the past. I was just making the point that royals can get involved with a cause and still not change their way of life or activities. Charles is passionate about the environment but his critics are always ready to point out when he takes a first class flight when he could've taken the train or be driven (not realising that there's a small amount of time between engagements).
  #636  
Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Yes, some members of PETA do controversial things but it is overall a good organisation that is passionate about its cause. No different then some of the royal patronages in the past. I was just making the point that royals can get involved with a cause and still not change their way of life or activities. Charles is passionate about the environment but his critics are always ready to point out when he takes a first class flight when he could've taken the train or be driven (not realising that there's a small amount of time between engagements).
Isn't PETA's latest gambit a porn site? I believe the idea is supposed to be you get to watch porn and receive a message about the animals as well, but still a controversial way of getting attention. Not really the type of thing the duchess should be patron of IMO.
  #637  
Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 AM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Isn't PETA's latest gambit a porn site? I believe the idea is supposed to be you get to watch porn and receive a message about the animals as well, but still a controversial way of getting attention. Not really the type of thing the duchess should be patron of IMO.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I'm not advocating Catherine take on PETA, I'm just pointing out that many organisations have faults and that royals take them on anyway because the CAUSE they're for is OVERALL good. Wasn't Harry's charity Sentebale accused of not giving its fund to where it was supposed to go? Does it make Sentebale (and its purpose) any less important?

I don't mean to offend if I have
  #638  
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Isn't PETA's latest gambit a porn site? I believe the idea is supposed to be you get to watch porn and receive a message about the animals as well, but still a controversial way of getting attention. Not really the type of thing the duchess should be patron of IMO.
My post didn't get moved so I'm quoting it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I'm not advocating Catherine take on PETA, I'm just pointing out that many organisations have faults and that royals take them on anyway because the CAUSE they're for is OVERALL good. Wasn't Harry's charity Sentebale accused of not giving its fund to where it was supposed to go? Does it make Sentebale (and its purpose) any less important?

I don't mean to offend if I have
  #639  
Old 09-23-2011, 01:08 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,522
Potential causes the Duchess of Cambridge could support

I thought it would be useful for members to be able to post their views on the causes they would like The Duchess of Cambridge to support in this thread.
  #640  
Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
seems the link has been deleted on the website?
It is here - perhaps they moved it:

The Prince of Wales - In the News.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ari behn ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion current events denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of cambridge visit to canada duchess of cornwall eveningwear duke of cambridge e-mail fashion poll kate middleton king abdullah ii king philippe king willem-alexander may 2016 member introduction monaco monarchy multiple births new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stéphanie's daytime outfits princess victoria birthday queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion royal trips september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats the duke of cambridge


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises