The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
To me your opinion is not of so great an interest, even though it might seem so to you. I just wanted the picture clear for myself, since I don't visit that often anymore.
Some think they (William, Catherine and Harry) should have stepped up their plate already and others think they should be able to enjoy the life they have before they are thrown into royal duties 24/7.
Well it seemed a point of interest, and i'm not the only one who has the opinion that Catherine nor William or Harry do enough for their family considering their current ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
They will only be seen on the required occasions and not fully throughout the year. That relatively translates to barely, imo. So in my opinion she will still mostly be the military wife at Anglesey but travel when necessary - so no literal disappearing for three years.

I suppose it's a matter of interpretation and I will leave it at that.
Yes only be seen on required occasions, the ones that practically every member of the BRF attend. I would be even more shocked if they didn't attend those events. Travel when necessary maybe once every few months sparing their tour in Feb/March time. They'll be seen with her family or she'll be seen out shopping like lately, like a normal human being.

But yes all a matter of interpretation.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Oh yes they'll be shown on family occasions - remembrance day, christmas, the jubilee and the Olympics then there is the exception of their feb/march tour of Australia and New Zealand.

We were told that Catherine and William would barely been seen in the next 3 years due to numerous reasons - so they'll be staying in Anglesey (and btw I never said 'hiding') for those three years. Catherine will have the expectation of producing at least one child in those three years. My opinion is that she's going to be the military wife at home on base, the fact that you find that opinion puzzling is not my fault.
Alright, well I guess I am failing to see why it's so important to you. They aren't being financially supported by the public so what does it mean to you (or anyone else) that William and Harry are concentrating on their military careers like other men in the RF have done. And why is it important that Catherine be everywhere as a hard working Royal this soon after marriage? She and William have the rest of their lives to devote to "duty". This is the only time in their marriage where they will be able to enjoy being man and wife without the constant demands of their future roles.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Majesty

It appears that Catherine won't take up any solo engagements until 2012 at the earliest. Good choice. Gives her time to choose what charities and causes she wants to work with.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Blogs | Richard Palmer | Why Kate won’t do solo royal duties until 2012 at earliest | Exclusive opinion, news and views from Daily and Sunday Express's top writers

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Why is it important that Catherine be everywhere as a hard working Royal this soon after marriage? She and William have the rest of their lives to devote to "duty". This is the only time in their marriage where they will be able to enjoy being man and wife without the constant demands of their future roles.
I think you bring up an interesting point that I have often thought about during these "duties and roles" discussions. After 2013, I assume that William and Kate will become full-time working royals, picking up where the older members are cutting back. And from then on, I guess at least for the next 40+ years, they will be among the hardest working and most visible royal couples in the BRF (for obvious reasons). And I just have to think, when the time comes to look back on what they have done with their lives, will people be looking back at this time and saying "Wow, look at those 2-3 years in the early 2010s. William and Kate were just sooo lazy back then." ? Maybe, maybe not.

My opinion in regards to all of this is that I personally am satisfied so far with the "easing in" to royal life. I think June was a great month of learning about the official/family events, what with the Trooping, Order of the Garter, Philip's birthday service. I also thought the Canada/California tour was a great way to expose Kate to the variety of royal engagements and how one is to act during them (I only hope she learned how NOT to dress in regards to weather conditions ) Perhaps if William and Kate did their summer engagements in Britain (the same number they did on the Tour), people would be more content with their actions?

I would like not to think Kate is simply sitting at home watching TV, cooking, and...waiting. (If she is, that's sad. But like I know anything about her life!) Overall, I feel it would be more appropriate to wait until mid-2012 to make the "wish she would do more" assessment. And if that time comes and there's absolutely nothing going on in her public life, then there's a problem. But I don't believe that will be the case.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I do believe that this decision to marry now and take their time to step up with full time royal appearances was a conscious decision to give her the chance to work on her marriage before working on her public personna unlike both William's mother and Sarah who had to do both at the same time and we know how that worked out, don't we?

I am sure that BP, specifically the Queen is very happy with the level of work being done by the younger royals - possibly envying them this time that she didn't get because of the early death of her father.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat

Alright, well I guess I am failing to see why it's so important to you. They aren't being financially supported by the public so what does it mean to you (or anyone else) that William and Harry are concentrating on their military careers like other men in the RF have done. And why is it important that Catherine be everywhere as a hard working Royal this soon after marriage? She and William have the rest of their lives to devote to "duty". This is the only time in their marriage where they will be able to enjoy being man and wife without the constant demands of their future roles.
If you're failing to see my point in my posts anything else I add isn't going to make much difference. I've said my opinion, it certainly caused some people to respond. No problem :)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Aristocracy

I find the phrase "hard working royals" hilarious.
It would make me die of boredom doing what some of them do, but hard work?
As to the point that this is the only time they will be able to enjoy the life of man and wife is amusing too, aren't they the couple who were said to live together from almost the time they met at university? Eight years or was it seven or nine, a long time any way you look at it.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Commoner

I think it is wonderful that William & Kate are given the time to enjoy married life. After all, William is only second in line to the throne and has a full time job in remote Anglesey. They are balancing their duties and their marriage very well, I believe. I am still surprised at how quickly Kate did her first overseas tour (unprecedented for a new royal), but glad to see they know when to retreat and enjoy what I'm sure they very much yearn for -- a normal, private domestic life out of the spotlight. Sounds like cliche, but I do think the RF has learned lessons from the past.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

OK, I've removed the name-calling outburst dripping with venom, and those posts responding to it.

I've seen it up close here for a few years and I guess it's related to the anonymity of online forums, but the extreme antipathy and violent language directed at some royal figures by members continues to be disturbing. I mean, really, does Mary or Letizia or Charlene or Catherine have such a direct impact on member's lives to produce this level of intense and unrelenting personal dislike? Fans of royalties and celebrities have been around for ages and are generally harmless, but the breed of dedicated and obsessive haters is a relatively new and ugly phenomenon.

Along similar lines...when dislike of one royal figure is used as a defence of another it becomes even more irrational, for example the statement - or more of a defiant challenge - "Catherine will never be Diana!". True, she'll be Catherine, the point being?

Anyway, reasons to hate the Duchess of Cambridge is not the subject of the thread, so let's move on.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 09-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Nobility

I don't think it's a bad idea that Catherine will wait til 2012 to do official engagements of her own; it will give her time to get used to being a member of the royal family without the press gawking at her...that is unless she and William do any joint engagements between now and then. Looks like they were a hit in Canada and California. Catherine will also have to time choose which causes she wants to be part of and all that. She seems pretty comfortable with the public now and they clearly love her.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Courtier

IMO Kate is limited in the amount of royal duties she can undertake by the fact that William himself is not yet, and has never been, a full time working royal. He's a full time search and rescue pilot and he and the royal family have apparently decided that's what he'll focus on for the next couple of years. Kate's role in royal life is a supporting one to William - she can't take the lead on this.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
IMO Kate is limited in the amount of royal duties she can undertake by the fact that William himself is not yet, and has never been, a full time working royal. He's a full time search and rescue pilot and he and the royal family have apparently decided that's what he'll focus on for the next couple of years. Kate's role in royal life is a supporting one to William - she can't take the lead on this.
Well actually, she will eventually have her own charities and duties on behalf of the RF that won't directly involve William.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Aristocracy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ty-visits.html

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1226140346355

Does any of this garner thy approval for duties one Duchess of Cambridge shouldst perform now she be a member of the BRF?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Courtier

... sounds all right to me; hope she isn't doing too much in the next years - she should eat a bit more and have some kids (gosh, I sound very conservative, to my own ears )
Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Royal Highness

Well if you're nicely asking our opinions, truthfully it sounds fine but I'll wait until she actual is doing the charity ....so far nothing has come to light as to what she's doing but I for one am glad to hear this.....

On the other hand if you're question is meant in the sarcastic tone it comes across as may I remind you we are all entitled to our opinions on here.....
Old 09-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge follows Diana, Princess of Wales in secret charity visits - Telegraph

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge making secret visits - report | News.com.au

Does any of this garner thy approval for duties one Duchess of Cambridge shouldst perform now she be a member of the BRF?
I'll be going with no. The fact that she's doing this in 'secret' actually makes her seem worse to me. If she wants to do charity work then do it, why do it in secret? We don't even know if these secret visits even happened.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ
On the other hand if you're question is meant in the sarcastic tone it comes across as may I remind you we are all entitled to our opinions on here.....
No, no, no…not in the least. Just a twinkle of humor. I beg your pardon if you have taken any kind of offense. The duchess is quite discreet, whilst many were contemplating on weather she was adopting a kind of lonely homemaker lifestyle…here she was making her own plans for what her role will be and what duties she will be performing, all while giving the impression that all she was doing was shopping, walking on the beach with her sister, moping around the house waiting for her significant other to come home from work so that she could feel significant herself…in simple terms - waisting time. Very fascinating IMHO…would you agree?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Very fascinating IMHO…would you agree?
No I wouldn't, if she's going to 'shape her royal life' why doesn't she do it for real instead of hiding in the shadows probably using the excuse that she doesn't want to be followed or give paparazzi attention to the charity or what not. Well she might need to wake up and realise who she is now and this secret malarky is to me quite stupid.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Nobility

The higher profile charities could be googled for historical information, objectives, what their goals are, etc. before making a visit to meet the people that are directly involved with the day to day operations.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Courtier

Isn't the point of a royal patronage the attention the foundation or charity then receives from royal visits and royal titles on stationary? Royals (with the exception of Harry with Sentebale & Charles and The Prince's Trust perhaps) don't guide the organisations nor participate in day-to-day operations so their purpose is to provide a reason for a person to donate or attend an event highlighting the charity's values and activities.
I'm with Lumetqueen in that this is worse than her not visiting at all. The palace in that case can always say "she is easing in and will join with an organisation soon" but instead this says 'she's alright with the physical workload at the moment but can't bear any public attention attached to it'

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles