The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemonaco View Post
do you think she has what it takes?
Queen Consort not Queen. There's a huge difference.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Queen Consort not Queen. There's a huge difference.
Why would Catherine "only" be Queen Consort?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Why would Catherine "only" be Queen Consort?
A queen consort is the wife of a reigning king. A queen consort usually shares her husband's rank and holds the feminine equivalent of the king's monarchical titles. Historically, queens consort do not share the king regent's political and military powers. Most queens in history were queens consort. A queen regnant is a queen in her own right with all the powers of a monarch, usually becoming queen by inheriting the throne on the death of the previous monarch; they have been far fewer in number.

Thus Catherine will be a Queen Consort (as was Elizabeth, Mary and Alexandra) and Elizabeth II is a Queen Regnant.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
A queen consort is the wife of a reigning king. A queen consort usually shares her husband's rank and holds the feminine equivalent of the king's monarchical titles. Historically, queens consort do not share the king regent's political and military powers. Most queens in history were queens consort. A queen regnant is a queen in her own right with all the powers of a monarch, usually becoming queen by inheriting the throne on the death of the previous monarch; they have been far fewer in number.

Thus Catherine will be a Queen Consort (as was Elizabeth, Mary and Alexandra) and Elizabeth II is a Queen Regnant.
I see, so Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mum) was technically a Queen Consort but was called Queen Elizabeth when she and George VI ruled?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I see, so Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mum) was technically a Queen Consort but was called Queen Elizabeth when she and George VI ruled?
Yes, QEQM was addressed as HM the Queen as a Queen Consort. It will be the same with Queen Camilla and Queen Catherine as Queen Consorts. They have equal rank and titles as their husbands but do not share the duties and such of the King.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemonaco View Post
do you think she has what it takes?
so far she seems to have shown good discipline and not prone to making any severe gaffes. She is well educated as only a handful of royals (born or married) have a university degree. Although a university degree does not guarantee that stupid mistakes won't occur but hopefully it will help. She seems to be very articulate for what little I have heard her speak.

I believe she fully understands what she is in for and I have no doubt that Prince william has been educating her for the past few years about what life will be like for her. My instincts tell me that she will do just fine. She could conceivably become a good role model for what of person a royal would look for in a potential spouse that can marry into a royal family but only time will tell.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger View Post
so far she seems to have shown good discipline and not prone to making any severe gaffes. She is well educated as only a handful of royals (born or married) have a university degree. Although a university degree does not guarantee that stupid mistakes won't occur but hopefully it will help. She seems to be very articulate for what little I have heard her speak.

I believe she fully understands what she is in for and I have no doubt that Prince william has been educating her for the past few years about what life will be like for her. My instincts tell me that she will do just fine. She could conceivably become a good role model for what of person a royal would look for in a potential spouse that can marry into a royal family but only time will tell.

Her real success will come with her ability to be more than just a pretty face or someone with a popular sense of style. I do think that it will a few years to achieve but I am skeptical right now. So far she has only attended the required royal events and a charity gala. I would like to see her do something hands on as I feel that is an area we have yet to know much about her.

It is easy to show up wearing a great dress, even without a stylist, but it takes skill to represent as many charities as princess Anne. If she plans on doing things with just William fine, but I think they could have more impact if she branches out on her own. She was a girlfriend for 8/9 years so she should understand the press and the other rules by now.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Gentry

All of this is true, but considering she hasn't even been married two months, give her a reasonable chance. Watching William for a number of years is not the same as being part of the family and being royal. It has to be a big adjustment.i am confident we will see much more than a pretty face in time. I don't think William would have married her if she didn't have the same goals and values as he has. Too much is at stake.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfish View Post
All of this is true, but considering she hasn't even been married two months, give her a reasonable chance. Watching William for a number of years is not the same as being part of the family and being royal. It has to be a big adjustment.i am confident we will see much more than a pretty face in time. I don't think William would have married her if she didn't have the same goals and values as he has. Too much is at stake.
I totally agree with that. I think they are on the same page about a lot of things and that will gradually emerge as time goes on.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Aristocracy

I think she will do well if she limits herself to what she seems best at doing, looking pretty holding on to Prince William's arm and waving to the public.
That is considered "work" as far as the royal family is concerned.
I would hate that kind of life but so far she seems to be revelling in it, and in that I think she takes after her mother except for the mother's ability to do all this social, I can't think of another word except climbing, and run a business, or is it the father who is really behind the business success of Party Pieces?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
I think she will do well if she limits herself to what she seems best at doing, looking pretty holding on to Prince William's arm and waving to the public.
I would hate that kind of life but so far she seems to be revelling in it, and in that I think she takes after her mother except for the mother's ability to do all this social, I can't think of another word except climbing, and run a business, or is it the father who is really behind the business success of Party Pieces?
Good heavens this post shows a real lack of knowledge of what royal women in particular do. Check out the various foundations they have established the causes they support, the speeches they give for those causes and you'll see that royal women do more than just wave and look pretty!

Mrs Middleton is the business brain she is the one who established Party Pieces, Mr Middleton continued to work for BA in the early years. Once it was successful he joined the business as well.

And 'climbing' that word alone shows a huge amount of class prejudice. I would hope that by the 21st century people are over the whole idea that everyone should know their station in life.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think she takes after her mother except for the mother's ability to do all this social, I can't think of another word except climbing, and run a business, or is it the father who is really behind the business success of Party Pieces?
I must really say that I have problems with messages like this. It is true that Carole Goldsmith, now Mrs. Middleton is not a millionaire's child, quite the contrary. Still she (and her brother as well) are millionaires today. Is that a bad thing? All this talking of better yourself, get a good education, acquire a work ethos and be a success seems meaningless when immediately after succeeding in all that, people are denoted as "social climbers" (aren't we all? Or better: don't we all want to be that?).

The woman has done nothing but appear dignified in public and obviously has no enemies in her private and professional sphere, otherwise we would have heard about it. The only black mark on her is her brother's conduct and who is responsible for his siblings? She is liked and respected in her village and, living in a village myself, I must say this is really an achievement for people who moved to the village and were not born there.

So the only reason why people should use things who are otherwise considered positive to debase people is IMHO either jealousy or the fact that they didn't reach their own aims or that of society in general.

My own grandchild won't be a future monarch (as my son is way too old for Catherina Amalia or Ingrid Alexandra and was too young for Victoria.... ) but one of Carole Middleton's grandchildren in all probability will be that. And that even though my parents were on a higher social scale than hers.... Do I have to envy her now or is it allowed to say: kudos for her?
Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat
I find it ironic that you seem to be attacking Catherine for her lack of work ethic but then attacking her mom for having one.....and working to build a better life for your family isn't social climbing in my book....
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Good heavens this post shows a real lack of knowledge of what royal women in particular do. Check out the various foundations they have established the causes they support, the speeches they give for those causes and you'll see that royal women do more than just wave and look pretty!

Mrs Middleton is the business brain she is the one who established Party Pieces, Mr Middleton continued to work for BA in the early years. Once it was successful he joined the business as well.

And 'climbing' that word alone shows a huge amount of class prejudice. I would hope that by the 21st century people are over the whole idea that everyone should know their station in life.

In Expat's defense, if I may do so....Kate has yet to start any foundations or give any speeches regarding any charities. While this argument may be valid for Princess Anne or even Princess Maxima it doesn't apply to her..yet.

So far all we know is that she can wear nice clothes and wave. I would hope this can get better but I am not encouraged. I know some people have said that it is soon but considering how long she was a girlfriend she doesn't need to learn as much stuff as everyone else would if they had dated a royal for less time.

By now she should at least be embracing some work on her own. Unless of course that was never the plan. We don't know for certain that she will ever branch out on her own. She could spend the rest of her "royal career" following William around.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very few have work on their own. It is all orchestrated. Princess Anne is a worker and does so, but many of the rest are given patronages and they smile, give a speech and go home. I don't think Camilla is working herself to the bone, and, please don't mention osteoporsis, where she gives lip service. It may have meaning to her, but she doesn't knock herself out.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post

I find it very ironic how some people have swallowed the idea that if people do well or "get ahead" you know is social climbing. Yet, IF they don't do those things then they are laggards, lazy, and don't accomplish much .... or just follow their husbands around. It's very humorous if you stop to think of it, a bit of a conundrum. It is all about keeping people in their place .... and one has to wonder just who those people are who are so concerned about keeping others in their place.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
In Expat's defense, if I may do so....Kate has yet to start any foundations or give any speeches regarding any charities. While this argument may be valid for Princess Anne or even Princess Maxima it doesn't apply to her..yet.

So far all we know is that she can wear nice clothes and wave. I would hope this can get better but I am not encouraged. I know some people have said that it is soon but considering how long she was a girlfriend she doesn't need to learn as much stuff as everyone else would if they had dated a royal for less time.

By now she should at least be embracing some work on her own. Unless of course that was never the plan. We don't know for certain that she will ever branch out on her own. She could spend the rest of her "royal career" following William around.
Seriously? You actually think that being his girlfriend was training enough to take on her own Foundations, public speaking, and Royal duties on her own less than 2 months after her marriage? Clearly you have no ithe amount of work and the preperation that is necessary to prepare her for the role she has married into.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Seriously? You actually think that being his girlfriend was training enough to take on her own Foundations, public speaking, and Royal duties on her own less than 2 months after her marriage? Clearly you have no ithe amount of work and the preperation that is necessary to prepare her for the role she has married into.
I have to agree with Texankitcat. Prince William would most likely have only given her an idea in the most general of terms of what to expect and what she's getting into. HRH Duchess is most definitely a Duchess-in-training, Princess-in-training, Future Queen-in-training. Let's not forget that Prince William has long fought traditions and protocols and it seems reasonable to conclude that he would not have given her much training in advance but I'm pretty sure that Her Royal Highness is getting a lot of it now. It's going to take some significant time before she's ready to go solo. I wish I had some real hard info as to how long that might take. If I had to make a pure guess. I would say a year .. maybe 2.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I think she takes after her mother except for the mother's ability to do all this social, I can't think of another word except climbing, and run a business, or is it the father who is really behind the business success of Party Pieces?
Yes I do agree. Catherine has a wonderful mix of strengths and qualities from her mother and her father.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Aristocracy

I'm sure the coming months she'll give us plenty to be proud of as The Duchess of Cambridge and future Queen. She probably just wants to make sure she gets it right, and rushing to give speeches if they aren't researched, meaningful and warranted is important. If she were already giving speeches we'd have people complaining "Oh why is she talking? She hasn't even DONE anything yet? Just because she was created the Duchess of Cambridge doesn't mean she's worth listening to..." So everyone just stop fussing about it.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles