Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for Kate that she isn't rushing into making critical decisions. I doubt she can change her mind afterward, so she does need to look very carefully at those charities she wants to give her patronage to.

DUDE! She can't change her mind? That sux! I don't know why I thought they could change charities after awhile if they did not find it fulfilling.
And she will definitely be criticized from some who do not approve of her choices of charities.
If she chooses AIDS, there will be the "She's a Diana follower, why did she choose AIDS" group.
If she chooses Cancer..."What is she too good for AIDS charities, she's so stuck up and fake".
If she goes the route of William and Harry and focuses on Africa..."She is such a follower, why can't she choose her own thing. Plus why isn't she focusing on Europe, she's European isn't she?"
If her charity choses only focus on Europe..."That's close minded, what about the people outside of Europe who need help?" It could go on and on.

Last edited:
DUDE! She can't change her mind? That sux! I don't know why I thought they could change charities after awhile if they did not find it fulfilling.
And she will definitely be criticized from some who do not approve of her choices of charities.
If she chooses AIDS, there will be the "She's a Diana follower, why did she choose AIDS" group.
If she chooses Cancer..."What is she too good for AIDS charities, she's so stuck up and fake".
If she goes the route of William and Harry and focuses on Africa..."She is such a follower, why can't she choose her own thing. Plus why isn't she focusing on Europe, she's European isn't she?"
If her charity choses only focus on Europe..."That's close minded, what about the people outside of Europe who need help?" It could go on and on.

Get ready Xenia, the criticism is going to flow like the Nile. It will not matter one bit what she chooses.

Some people have already made up their minds and absolutely nothing she does will be good enough.

Get ready Xenia, the criticism is going to flow like the Nile. It will not matter one bit what she chooses.

Some people have already made up their minds and absolutely nothing she does will be good enough.

You and Xenia hit the nail on the spot. It's sad that at the end of the day, it won't matter what she does, because people will focus on what she didn't choose to affiliate with. That is frustrating, because she can (and definitely will) do a great deal of good. Well, at any rate, I'm looking forward to hearing about the charities she'll pick and her work with those organizations.

:previous: Patronages are for a fixed period of time so there's no question of "could she change her mind?", etc. The poster who stated that they are life-long commitments was incorrect. Many royals continue to be a part of specific charities for long periods of time but the organisations are required to reapply for patronage IIRC after around 5 years. If she were to begin her own trust or foundation like The Prince's Trust that would certainly be a life-long commitment but only because of her hypothetical role as founder and namesake...

:previous: Patronages are for a fixed period of time so there's no question of "could she change her mind?", etc. The poster who stated that they are life-long commitments was incorrect. Many royals continue to be a part of specific charities for long periods of time but the organisations are required to reapply for patronage IIRC after around 5 years. If she were to begin her own trust or foundation like The Prince's Trust that would certainly be a life-long commitment but only because of her hypothetical role as founder and namesake...

Thank you for the clarification. This of course makes sense; she can work on multiple causes at different periods of her life, as well as decide if she wants to focus on a few charities at first, and later add on a couple of more.

Thank you for the clarification. This of course makes sense; she can work on multiple causes at different periods of her life, as well as decide if she wants to focus on a few charities at first, and later add on a couple of more.

Exactly. It's too bad 'The University of St. Andrews 600th Appeal' took place before she was officially a member as it would have been a perfect first patronage for her: obvious relationship to her and something close to her heart as well as (as seen from William's participation in it) a low-key engagement.

Well, it's good that nothing is written in stone and as Kate evolves, so can her associations with charities of her choice. But I'm sure it wouldn't look very nice if she dropped a charity in mid-stream; I don't think she could change her mind at that point unless the organization was involved in a scandal or anything detrimental to her reputation. That would certainly set tongues wagging otherwise!

Last edited:
I'm exicted because, if the papers are right, she will choose arts as one of her areas of interest. I think what she chooses will get us better insight into her personality and her loves.

In most cases members of the BRF take on patronages for life

I thought I had read that she was looking at being patron of special projects.

I definitely could see Kate taking on the tennis patronage. It would suit her interest in athleticism and would certainly be very enjoyable for her in addition to upping interest in tennis and drawing the crowds in.

Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton is being courted by another prestigious tennis club | Mail Online

If it's true that the Duchess of Gloucester is retiring, this might indeed be a nice patronage for Kate to take over.
Something innocuous, something she'd probably enjoy, something not too demanding.

I don't see how anyone could actually object to it, so why not?

:previous: I would hope, though, that if Kate takes on this particular patronage as her first, that it would be very closely followed by a second patronage that deals with a serious issue such as domestic violence, etc. It doesn't have to be demanding but as anyone who has worked in non-profits knows, it's incredibly rewarding.

If Kate takes on a certain number of charities, I don't see why she can't blend the ones with serious issues with others dealing with the arts and physical fitness, including sports. Again, it depends on what she wants to focus on and assume at this point in her position.

Last edited:
If Kate takes on a certain number of charities, I don't see why she can't blend the ones with serious issues with others dealing with the arts and physical fitness, including sports. Again, it depends on what she wants to focus on and assume at this point in her position.

True; Diana did charity work related to health issues, but was also a patron of the ballet, since dance was one of her passions.

I'm hoping Kate will mix it up and have some variety.

Taxpayers pays for royals protections and they have right to know how their money is spend. Actually DM often writes positive articles about Kate so few words of truth won't hurt. People are not stupid, not everybody is happy about lifestyle of royals.

The taxpayer knows they're paying for royal protection. What else is there to know? DM specifically added the " at least & taxpayer funded" sentiment into a sentence about Catherine travelling first class to Mustique.

When it comes to the public opinion, the royals must tread very cautiously. Public adoration could turn into public dislike fast. It is a part of the job description. One might argue that Duke and Duchess of Cambridge could have gone to holiday locally and, thus, contributed to a much-needed economic boost of a particular area.

Sorry but with the weather in England, anybody who volunteers to holiday here in Winter is loopy. A much needed economy boost? Two extra guests isn't going to save a company or hotel in the long run. I can't imagine Catherine and William publishing what hotel they would have stayed in, so publicity for the place would be out of the question too.
Middletons and William have i'm presuming paid for themselves to fly first class and stay in Mustique, so if you can afford it why not spend some time away? Even commoners do it, and as this royal couple have claimed numerous times they are trying to be as normal as possible.
I doubt William and Catherine going on holiday abroad will make the public instantly hate the monarchy, even at the height of the Diana troubles the monarchy was still extremely popular. My issue is with the DM stirring trouble when it's not needed.

Where is the problem? That 2 body guards went with her? We know that she is protected. Same for Camilla wherever she goes.

Catherine one day will be Queen of England, it is normal to take care of her.
As regards her moving to Clarence House IMO it is a communication trick to show how good is her relation with the in-laws. I remember a long boring article about a lunch she had with Camilla.
And another about beauty tips given to DoC by Camilla (!!!!).

Last edited:
My argument was with the Daily Mail for inserting a piece of information simply to cause trouble. With the readers of royal articles on the DM always complaining about taxpayers money, it seems to me they did it for the comments.

Are there any photos yet of her on holiday even just a peep?;)

... [snipped]
Sorry but with the weather in England, anybody who volunteers to holiday here in Winter is loopy. A much needed economy boost? Two extra guests isn't going to save a company or hotel in the long run. I can't imagine Catherine and William publishing what hotel they would have stayed in, so publicity for the place would be out of the question too.
Middletons and William have i'm presuming paid for themselves to fly first class and stay in Mustique, so if you can afford it why not spend some time away? Even commoners do it, and as this royal couple have claimed numerous times they are trying to be as normal as possible.
I doubt William and Catherine going on holiday abroad will make the public instantly hate the monarchy, even at the height of the Diana troubles the monarchy was still extremely popular. My issue is with the DM stirring trouble when it's not needed.
[my bolding]
The couple in question can enjoy their holiday on sunny shores, whereas the DM can stir troubles when it's not needed. Why not? The life is not fair.

Last edited:
She's on a private vacation with her family and William now, we won't be seeing any photos

[my bolding]
The couple in question can enjoy their holiday on sunny shores, the DM can stir troubles when it's not needed.

And I can express my opinion about how it's ridiculous. I think i'll end this here.:)

The bodyguards would be paid regardless of where Catherine is, be it in Wales, or Inverness or London or the Isle of Wight.

The taxpayer bodyguard is there where she is in Mustique or in Wales. The amount of security for the royal family pails in comparsion in what the Secret Service does for US President. (3 million for his trip to Hawaii for Christmas).

January is a slow time of the year for royal engagements. The schedule picks up in Feb after the Queen comes back from Sandringham which she doesn't do until after Feb 6 - Accession Day.

The work that royals do is not what us normal people would call work. It going to performances, opening things, plant trees, visiting different charities. But would you like to have to work for your whole life and have cameras follow you everytime you work. Have everything you wear, say, do followed by the whole world. Imagine the scandal if a royal attending a event falls alseep during a performance of some dance troop, chorus, business conference, etc.

A lot of what Kate did last fall was not seen, there were hundred of charities that wanted her to join them. Sept 21, 2011 - Prince of Wales Website - "The Duchess of Cambridge is using the next few months to get to know a number of charitable causes and institutions related to national life better, so she can make well informed decisions about her future role. She plans to meet a wide range of people and to make some private visits according to a programme that is being drawn up for The Duchess by the Household. This programme has only recently begun, and consists as much of meetings at St. James’s Palace and private research as it does of visiting sites on the ground. There is no firm end date to this process so The Duchess will only make announcements about future Patronages or formal links with charities and organisations when the time is right."

That is what happen. A camera phone shot of her at the Art Room and a little burb about her being spotted at London museums was all the press coverage there was. But, when the charities were announced, we found out she went to the hospice in Cambridge, etc.

Also don't forget what the Queen did in her early married life- she went to Malta with Phillip and was a naval wife. It is said that the times in Malta was a one of the happiest periods of the Queen's life. Why she should she deny her grandson and his new wife the same experience ? William & Kate has years of royal duties ahead of them when they become Prince & Princess of Wales & King & Queen.

Clarence House denied something this futile? I found a similar from 11th December, but nothing to say Clarence denied it. Seems logical for Camilla and Charles to extend their hospitality to their daughter in law.
Also - Eugenie and her boyfriend are in Mustique at the moment.

Last edited:
I criticized Kate and I will criticize Eugenie, even more cause she's not a working royal and enjoys this type of lifestyle just because her father is a prince. Honesty, I think that protection should be at the same level for everyone, Edward lost it, Andrew and his family should lost it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom