The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyals View Post
Great for them! Just like the Queen when she first got married. Shows that William & and Palace are actually supporting this marriage more than anything.

Being primarily a housewife doesn't mean not doing public duties... it just means she won't be a full time member of the RF like Prince Charles or Princess Anne just yet. Remember that there's Canada in July... that in itself it a HUGE commitment -- the first time something like this to happen so soon to a new royal wife.
The Queen was never just a housewife. She was a full-time working royal before she married.

When Philip was on leave in Malta she would go out and spend time with him but when he was at sea she was working in Britain as a royal on duties.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't mind if this helps the marriage in the long run then I'm good with it. So upcoming is polo, Zara's wedding, Trooping the Colour, the DOE's 90th birthday and the Canada trip and rumored US trip. Next year we have the Jubilee and Olympics. I'm sure William will also make some more public appearances in between all that.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 PM

While I fully support W&C doing whatever it takes to make this marriage work out, I just don't understand how the daughter of hard working parents would want to be a housewife.

I really hope eventually the Duchess carves out a role for herself much like many of the other European princesses. They share the spotlight with their princes, and their men don't mind.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
While I fully support W&C doing whatever it takes to make this marriage work out, I just don't understand how the daughter of hard working parents would want to be a housewife.

I really hope eventually the Duchess carves out a role for herself much like many of the other European princesses. They share the spotlight with their princes, and their men don't mind.
I'm sure she'll eventually find her strides and step up. I for one don't mind her taking the time to learn about the Family and how the "Firm" works, especially since HM and her new parent-in-laws all support her and William. Let them enjoy their time together quietly while they can. Let her use the time to gradually learn the ropes, rather than throwing her full-tilt.

William and Catherine, as well as the Royal Family are doing a very smart thing by not rushing things.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Courtier

But think about Catherine's position (in line to the throne)? The Queen is still very alive and well, next in line will be father-in-law Charles, THEN William and Catherine...there is time to take it easy for the first couple of years...

I can't comment on the then Princess Elizabeth, but as for Prince Daniel of Sweden, he is doing more because he (well, mainly his wife Crown Princess Victoria) is next in line to the Swedish throne...he technically could be King Consort any day now, dependent on the health of the reigning King...Catherine doesn't have this pressure because Charles is next in line...they can bide their time at this stage and take it slowly...I am sure the family can afford Catherine a few years breathing space to make their investment worthwhile...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Royal Highness

While I do understand Catherine wanting to take time and she is doing events with William, I do hope we are able to see more of her per say just because I like her so much ....I hope she will venture out on her own for maybe a few small events in say a year or so....

Plus don't you think she'll get a bit of bad reporting if she doesn't do some 'work' , let's be honest some already think her incapable of working....(not my opinion just saying I can see the headlines now- Waity Katy still waits...or such) .....

Also, in 2 years a lot could change so it's hard to say how much time she'll actually get, for example she could be pregnant or William's position could change or really anything could happen ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
So upcoming is polo, Zara's wedding, Trooping the Colour, the DOE's 90th birthday and the Canada trip and rumored US trip. Next year we have the Jubilee and Olympics. I'm sure William will also make some more public appearances in between all that.
True ....that is a lot of events.... so that'll be nice
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Aristocracy

Catherine will have the rest of her life full of duties. I am happy that she is going to take the time to be a house wife... plus it gives her plenty of time to really consider what charities and such she wants to put all her time into for the rest of her life.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

It's only the start of her marriage, I don't mind that she will want to enjoy as much time with William as husband and wife before going into the public. As it has been mentioned they will have some public duties and till then I don't see Catherine just sitting at home doing nothing, I see her as taking lessons or protocol & etiquette and so on for her new & future role. I do understand she has taken some but the more the better.

As Echolynn mentioned above, it gives her time to discuss with her advisors & William how to start & where to start.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Courtier

Catherine - I'll Stay a Housewife for Now!

Royal Wedding 2011: Kate Middleton says she'll be a housewife for now | Mail Online

Am not in the least bit surprised .... people don't change she is what she is. Anyone who ever thought she would be the new DIANA must have been mad!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

I hoped that she wouldn't be the new Diana - I hope we never have that disaster again.

Catherine is going to take her time and settle in first - good for her.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Serene Highness

I can only applaud this, I think it's a very wise move. The first years of your marriage never come back - and according to me they are the most important to lay the basis on.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is a brilliant decision of supporting her husband in fulfilling his royal duties,enjoy the married life and provide him with a heir
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
It is a brilliant decision of supporting her husband in fulfilling his royal duties,enjoy the married life and provide him with a heir
but how much royal duties does william have? what will she do all day whait for william.

i undestand not taking on her own events, but why not go with other in the royal family maybe with camilla or sophie
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
but how much royal duties does william have? what will she do all day whait for william.

i undestand not taking on her own events, but why not go with other in the royal family maybe with camilla or sophie
Yes,but she has enough time to take on more duties.Besides all,Kate and William are to visit Canada this summer
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Because she knows that the focus would be on her and she doesn't want to upstage other members of the family.

She is a level headed woman who has decided to wait and take her time. She has decades of doing royal duties ahead of her so if she only wants to do them with William for the first few years good luck to her.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

I think Catherine will have alot of things to do as a housewife, but I imagine she will also be doing research on her future duties and preparing for the Canadian tour etc. In the nicest possible way, I think the less we see of William and Catherine at the moment the better! Because it will keep media interest on an even level and it will be all the more wonderful when we do see them!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
If HM is okay with it, then who am I to say it isn't okay.

I don't blame her for wanting to be a newlywed. Perhaps that was one of the (many) reasons why the Duke's parents marriage was not a good one early on. They didn't seem to get the chance to be newlywed's before they were paraded around.

I agree with you . Also if she up staged other members of the firm,that could cause problems
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

William did 73 duties last year.

I assume that she will look after the house, prepare the meals, but also do some research into the upcoming tour of Canada etc.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
After all the whirlwind of activities between the engagement and wedding, I can imagine its peaceful bliss to just be able to stay home and have ordinary days. No wedding details and stresses, no meetings with planners and the biggest problem of the day may be what to make for the evening meal.

I think too that if and when they do take off on a honeymoon trip, there will be very little information that comes out about it. Not only are they starting their married life, but are also at the point where the guidelines of defining their personal and public lives are set down. If they want to keep their private lives totally out of the public eye, the time to start is now. That's why being in Wales and William working SAR for the next two years is totally perfect for them.

I really don't see anyone seeing too much of William and Kate now until their Canada trip which will be followed extensively and will be a highly publicized event. I'm hoping that this trip will be covered as well as HM's trip to Canada last summer was. That was fabulous.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Commoner

Why are we so worried about what the Duchess will/won't do? We all got invited to the most special day of her life (so far), we harped on the dress, the tiara, the decorations, the overkill/lack of information. Is it so surprising that she and William just want to be a "normal" married couple...how ever you define that term? Why not want to be a traditional stay at home? I know I had plenty to do when I didn't have to work...I did a lot of childcare (4 of my own and half the neighborhood), sewing, cooking, cleaning, gardening, church work, and the etc goes on. I think she will find plenty to interest her and keep her busy. Being a wife is a full time job, especially if you put your best into it! Way to go Kate!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles