The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Her future role???
ok... breath!
First, I must address how unnecessarily rude your response was, but that doesn't come as a shock really.
If you read it again you realize I did not specify the role, or DID I?? No
So before using my post to once more show your dislike for Catherine I would suggest you to ask me first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
So the DoE doesn't have a "role"? The Queen Mother didn't have a "role"? Silly me - here I was thinking they were important people in the BRF. Thanks for straightening me out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
Well, how about her future role as a mother? Perhaps she feels that she should be confirmed and become stronger in her own faith before she begins raising children, one of whom will become the head of the Church of England.
Amen!

I'm always amaze at some who have the time to spend in threads they dislike.

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Bertie, although I have respect for your considerable knowledge of the history of the RF, I have to disagree with you on this one. To say Kate doesn't have a role outside of looking pretty and popping out babies is an insult. To say she won't have a role outside of supporting her husband is to discount any contribution that other royal wives have made. Was Diana's only role in supporting her husband (cough, cough), looking pretty and popping out babies?

Catherine/Kate's official role will of course being a support to her husband since ideally they will be a team. However, she will have other official duties on behalf of the RF and roles in supporting her own charitable causes and being an ambassador for the RF within the UK or when traveling abroad. She will bring attention to whatever she chooses to direct her interest and passion towards because she will be watched by the media and the world in what she does. This will either be positive or negative, but it will be noticed. She will bring in considerable money to charities she supports and attention to causes she speaks out about.

How many of us can say the same?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
If Kate did her own makeup for the engagement pics, then there's quite a bit of air brushing going on. She looks flawless in that photo and she does not have great skin. Though, it is the Mail.

As for Kate's role, I have to agree with Iluvbertie. Romancing her position is just that: romancing. Just like them having a big white wedding (ILBertie will disagree with me) after having lived together is a romancing show. Disagree all you want, but when you ramp it down to the bare bones, Kate has no role. Although she has been on public appearances, I have never thought of Kate (what I have heard of her that isn't romanced) as a willing participant and feel she will do only what she needs to do.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Serene Highness

Again, can you please not state your opinion as fact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
In that rather narrow minded way of thinking, none of us have a role or identity outside of marriage and motherhood. As for Kate not being a willing to particpant in the appearances of late, what possible evidence do you have of that?
Agreed.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Kate's future.

Poor Kate. She'll forever be criticized if she does too well, and if she doesn't do well enough...

I'd like to think she is sincere in her love for Prince William, who, even if he were not a prince, is a handsome, athletic, hard working, smart, sincere and kind fellow and would probably be very attractive to many women, no matter what. She has a "hard row to hoe," as the old saying goes, and while it all looks glamorous, she will be under the microscope for the rest of her life.

So I for one would like to cut her a break and think that she is sincere in her approach to her marriage and her future role. For those who think she doesn't have a role, one could look at the path Prince Philip has taken as consort in many, many charitable organizations, the preservation and improvement of royal properties and acting as a close advisor to the queen on a host of issues over the years. And he still at almost ninety is the last thing from a lie-abed. Kate seems to have a good deal of energy and that touch of perfectionism that says she will not take life for granted.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
With all due respect, Skippy, can you prove that it is not fact? Let me know!

Quote:
In that rather narrow minded way of thinking, none of us have a role or identity outside of marriage and motherhood. As for Kate not being a willing to particpant in the appearances of late, what possible evidence do you have of that?
Firstly, I was not speaking of the engagements before the wedding. Secondly, what evidence do you have that I am incorrect?
------------------------------
I predict we'll reach a stalemate.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Serene Highness

if Catherine were to wear a Burca or wear piercing or say she is pro-choice, I can easily see those who would, oh so fast come here and say:"What about here role as a representative of the CoE", "She can't do that and be married to the future Supreme Governor" and so on.

Catherine's role will be the same as of previous partners. Never did I said something different, but again that wasn't the point when the 1º post about it was made, was it? it was just an opportunity to criticize!

We are talking about the BRF for crying out loud!! It' pretty much about pageantry and "representative" roles. That goes from the Top Chef up to the Duke of Schtyberketrshire.

About the whole "her job is to look good" thing. I wouldn't completely said that's nonsense, If tomorrow she would be formerly asked by the British Fashion Council, or whatever the real name is, to represent British Brands. hell yes to-look-good would be a job. As silly and as shallow one might considered, the simple fact Catherine chooses to wear something gives the piece a very special place on the market, people see + people like it = people buy iT -> the economy appreciates it !!!!!
If that is not clear, there's a scene from The Devil Wears Prada, where the Boss explain to the intern how naive she was about the fashion world ( I tried to find it on YT but couldn't)

Anyways, I don't think it's wrong to say "come'on, it's not like she will be the PM" but I also agree that it's single minded to think that the only thing she is representing is her uterus.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I can ask you the same question: can you prove that it is fact?

Again, what evidence do you have that I am incorrect?
I predict we'll reach a stalemate.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
...I also agree that it's single minded to think that the only thing she is representing is her uterus.
Her uterus is far more important to the BRF than her shoes. I'll not respond any further.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Nobility

I have to disagree as well. Diana didn't have a role and we all know how that played out. Do you really think the BRF wants a repeat of that? I doubt it. I think Kate will definitely have a role as William's wife - just as Mette-Marit, Mary, Maxima and Letizia have in their perspective countries. It will certainly take time for Kate to develop in this role, but she'll have one - opening charities for causes that are important to her, representing the Queen at an official function when she, Charles or William can't, or going with them to said function. Perhaps she and William will represent the Queen and the Monegasque wedding in July? Maybe Kate will open her own foundation one day for a cause that's hit home for her. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie
Her role is simply to be there. William will have a role but Kate actually won't - she will look pretty, have a couple of babies and that really is all her life is from now on. She doesn't have a 'role'.
Fascinating...marvelous...hysterical!!! I'd have to agree that two months after the wedding she won't be serving in any official capacity...yet down the road I can see her having an official role as patron of numerous charities whose missions are aligned with her interest

I also picture her having an official role within the military as a colonel of numerous regiments...perhaps she could have an official role as serving on behalf of the sovereign at certain events within & outside of the commonwealth

But you are right one of her most important roles as a member of the BRF will be to create a happy family with her husband Prince William (Duke of _____ )...or have I taken your comment out of context?

Just a thought, Just a thought
Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I Disagree all you want, but when you ramp it down to the bare bones, Kate has no role. Although she has been on public appearances, I have never thought of Kate (what I have heard of her that isn't romanced) as a willing participant and feel she will do only what she needs to do.
Youre right IMHO in so far as Catherine will have no explicit role in the beginning of her married life. But she will become a member of a family which calls itself "the firm" and so of course are expectations and certain wishes. She should secure the succession as fast as possible and she should be regarded as an asset by the public which will be represented by her.

Apart from that, there is no fixed role. But so many opportunities and chances, occassions and worthy cases for her to choose from. This will be the basis of the part she will play in the British society. I personally are assured she will find her place and play an important part and thus be the one to give content to the "role" of a senior Royal lady.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Her uterus is far more important to the BRF than her shoes.
Of course it is. I think most couples and most families will think that the possibility/chance to have healthy children is more important than the beauty of the bride. Still I think it is crass to reduce a human being to being a brood mare - thats what you seem to imply.

I honestly doubt that in this day and age, with the succession firmly secured through these lots and lots of Royal grand-children, one already a father himself, Catherine is considered only the mother of William's future children. Belgium has shown that the public (and the monarch himself, of course) can love and adore a barren queen and transfer the respect and love from a dead king to his brother who was the next in line. I have no doubt that this would happen in Britain as well if Catherine and William do not get any children and Harry becomes William's heir one day.

If this scenario happens, then I believe the British fashion industry would still be overjoyed to have Catherine as their patron and highest ranking model.

So what does her uterus have in fact to do with her being the fiancée of William and future member of the BRF?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Let me see if I understand the last page and a half (at least the way I have threads set up) of posts. Kate has no role outside of popping out a couple of squalling brats for William, and her main job besides that is to stand around and look pretty, smile, and wave? She can't be expected to take on any projects, or involve herself with any charities and foundations? She's basically a trophy in a dress for William to cart around and have people throw flowers to?

If I didn't know any better, I'd think those opinions came from misogynistic men, not women.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Firstly, I was not speaking of the engagements before the wedding. Secondly, what evidence do you have that I am incorrect?
No stalemate. An intelligent person knows that when making wild statements such as these that they bear the burden of proof when asked. Not the other way around. You can choose to answer the question, or drop it altogether and cease making similar statements which clearly are your own opinions and not based on facts.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Her uterus is far more important to the BRF than her shoes. I'll not respond any further.
That comment is completely unnecessary and extremely degrading to any woman.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If Kate did her own makeup for the engagement pics, then there's quite a bit of air brushing going on. She looks flawless in that photo and she does not have great skin. Though, it is the Mail.

As for Kate's role, I have to agree with Iluvbertie. Romancing her position is just that: romancing. Just like them having a big white wedding (ILBertie will disagree with me) after having lived together is a romancing show. Disagree all you want, but when you ramp it down to the bare bones, Kate has no role. Although she has been on public appearances, I have never thought of Kate (what I have heard of her that isn't romanced) as a willing participant and feel she will do only what she needs to do.

I think you have stated my position perfectly.

She could do nothing and the government of the day won't end.

If the Queen does nothing the government couldn't function - hence my view that only the Queen has an 'official role'.

Others make a role for themselves but they don't have to do so if they don't want to.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
That comment is completely unnecessary and extremely degrading to any woman.

And yet that was how Diana and Philip described their contribution to the royal family - 'a womb' and 'royal amoeba'.

It is hard for most people to understand but if Kate and William divorced the day after the first child was born she would have fulfilled her primary role.

I hope the marriage lasts but given the statistics of William's family that isn't a given. I know - lies, 'xxx' lies and statistics but they aren't encouraging are they - 50% of his grandparents divorced, parents divorced, 50% of his parents' siblings divorced (one uncle twice), and the statistics show that if you come from a broken home the chances are that you will also have a broken home (I think the statistics indicate about 60% of people from broken homes also experience broken homes - but that means 40% don't and I hope William is in that category.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Any role she has outside of having babies and looking pretty will be what she creates for herself.

She has no 'official' role - I used that word deliberately when I made my first post as only the Queen as an 'official' role - to sign legislation. All the rest of the family have supportive positions and not 'official' roles.

I am sorry if people don't see the difference between an 'official' role and a role they create for themselves but so be it.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
So....... Are you saying she was forced? Forced to become his fiancée? Forced to do public apperances? If she didn't want to them she could have said no to marriage or broken up with him....I consider her a willing particapent

And my opinion is a wife's 'role' can be supporting her husband and that IS for sure Catherine's role, if nothing else, like Phillip and Daniel support the Queen and Victoria so not sure how plp can say she has no role except being his wife- that's a role!!!!!! ( not saying she doesn't have other roles)

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles