The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
I'm so surprised that so many think she should have "duties." Why? She should have whatever "duties" she and her new husband decide.

And as to purely ceremonial roles being considered worthwhile, well. Meh. Pure ceremonial is pointless.
Well I can only speak for myself but I think she should have duties because she is a future Queen, marrying a Prince who performs duties and into the BRF where having duties is expected, celebrated and considered traditional - why should Kate be held to any difference expection in that regard in being married to an heir? Even if he is heir to heir - just my opinion

Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I'm so surprised that so many think she should have "duties." Why? She should have whatever "duties" she and her new husband decide.

And as to purely ceremonial roles being considered worthwhile, well. Meh. Pure ceremonial is pointless.

Why? Because that is what royals do. That is their job. Their role is purely ceremonial. It is to look good, wave at people, make pretty speeches written by someone else, say the right thing and that is it. Charities are seen as a great avenue for them to use to do these things in aid of but that is all. For the last century and more the British royal family have been ceremonial and not much more.

The powers of Queen Victoria were once described as 'the power to advise, to warn and to be consulted'. Full stop, end of powers.

So with no power what else are they to do - sit at home on their backsides and do nothing or do something to inspire and encourage the people - that is what the duties are about - helping other people, raising money for charity and raising the profile of various issues.

The provide entertainment through their duties.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why? Because that is what royals do. That is their job. Their role is purely ceremonial. It is to look good, wave at people, make pretty speeches written by someone else, say the right thing and that is it. Charities are seen as a great avenue for them to use to do these things in aid of but that is all.
Quite, right for the most part however I do not think your description above applies entirely to Catherine...

Quote:
For the last century and more the British royal family have been ceremonial and not much more.

The powers of Queen Victoria were once described as 'the power to advise, to warn and to be consulted'. Full stop, end of powers.
Well, the Queen, as head of state, has many powers, more than most people think...she just "shares them"...but that is a topic for another thread

Quote:
...do something to inspire and encourage the people - that is what the duties are about - helping other people, raising money for charity and raising the profile of various issues.

The provide entertainment through their duties.
IMO for Catherine to take on that approach too soon, in regards to "duties and roles" is a recipe for disaster. She should be given as much time as necessary to make as smooth a transition into her new status as royalty as possible. I don't believe Catherine becoming a patron of a charity and giving speeches to raise funds and awareness with much ado would be a proper method of this approach.

There are going to be an assortment of changes that Catherine will have to confront immediately following her wedding...not just the obvious ones, name (which I know is a topic on another thread)...residence...media perception...but there are also more subtle changes she will face:

i.e. soldiers and sailors of all ranks saluting you...being introduced every where you go...having people twice your age bow and curtsy to you...everyone in a room stand when you enter...the presence of armed personnel (well she may be used to that already)...quite intimidating, wouldn't you agree?

Attendance at royal engagements or ceremonies might, just might, help ease these lifestyle modifications that will initiate as result of Catherine becoming royal. Again IMO it is paramount that Catherine has an unproblematic as possible switch from life as a commoner to life as a royal.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

Indeed, personally I think I'd die of embarrassment if people suddenly started having to bow & curtsey to me, or salute me etc. Or if all of a sudden I had to "become" regal & smile & wave to the masses from horse drawn carriages. I would find it hysterically funny & also embarrassing simply because of how different you'd be perceived & how others have to react to you. I'd feel self-conscious & awkward for the people having to do the curtseying etc. I think it'd take getting used to if you haven't lived your entire life being bowed to & waved at & not been around people who have had those sorts of experiences all their lives. I would just find it hilarious & embarrassing to suddenly be the one who everyone acted like that to. But then thankfully it's not me marrying into the Royal Family!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Serene Highness

I totally agree with both of you. I would not know how to deal with it. Then again, I would rather not marry a prince - too much to give up for. I prefer to watch her marrying hers
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Nobility

I get the sense that Katie Nicholl is reading this board....

A smashing role for Kate Middleton... queen of Wimbledon | Mail Online
Old 02-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Nobility

Interesting...

Middleton gets a mentor
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
I get the sense that Katie Nicholl is reading this board....

A smashing role for Kate Middleton... queen of Wimbledon | Mail Online
Haha! I could have written that article weeks ago or whenever it was when I was suggesting/speculating exactly this idea.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Both Zonk (see under) and IluvBertie have covered the Wimbledon thing, it's not going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
In regards to Wimbeldon, the Duke of Kent is President of the All England Lawn and Tennis and Croquet Club so unless he gives up that patronage (which is certainly possible as he is 68) and William becomes President. I don't think you will see Catherine presenting. Maybe attending but that is about it.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 AM
Royal Highness

Interesting job offer at The Royal Collection:

https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/search_engin...MxNjYzMTMzMDA=

It's about cataloguing the photographs which belong to the Royal Collection in preparation for an upcoming online project. Now wouldn't this project offer Catherine some possibilities as a future chatelaine for the Royal Collection?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

This is not a role for a Princess. The Royal Family would oversea in a general sense but not actually work at something like this, besides which she would have to actually be at work 9 - 5 5 days a week in London/Windsor rather than be in Wales with William.

If she wasn't engaged to William then yes it would maybe suit her, if she has the qualifications, but a Princess - no way.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Royal Highness

Oh, I didnt mean Catherine should take this job. I just found the information interesting that the Royal Collection plans an online project which has to do obviously with publishing photographs and with the Royal genealogy, so probably unseen pictures and portraits of the RF.

As they seem to think that the cataloguing of the pics should be finished by 2013 according to the job advert, it would coincidence with the end of William's contract, no? So this will be the time when William and Catherine will spend more time in London and in the place where they will have their weekend retreat, which could well be in the Windsor area. Thus Catherine could take over a leading role with the project, if she wanted. She after all has experience with online projects if it is true that she worked in that aera for her parent's business. Plus her dissertation at St. Andrews had to do with interpretations of artistic photography, so she obviously is interested in such a topic. And she will be a Royal, so must know which pic to publish and which not...

For I don't think she will be too much on public display in order not to steal the limelight from Camilla. Not that I believe she'd want to, but it could happen simply through being at one place as the young princess while Camilla is doing another Royal engagement at another place and look what the media will report then... It happened to Charles/Anne/Andrew and Diana OTOH and I recall that Anne minded it as well as Charles. So I doubt Catherine will look for the big public appearances but rather select a job behind the scene where she can present her work from time to time to the public and do parts in documentaries about the collections of Art of the RF but in general is doing nothing comparable to what Camilla does. Just my thoughts, of course.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Aristocracy

Catherine and Camilla's lunch with each other yesterday may have been a glimpse into the future for the both of them...perhaps they will do events together (or Catherine and Sophie)...just a thought, just a thought

Maybe this approach can lessen the impact of Catherine's acclimation to the role of a royal wife in the BRF....
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Majesty

Based on the engagements undertaken in the last few weeks, I can see Catherine growing into her royal role. I do suspect for the first few months, she will be shepherded in her engagements by William, and possibly Camilla before she starts doing solo engagements.

Any ideas on thwe causes you would like to see her support?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally, perhaps something with Homeopathy, Organics and Horticulture, Rehabilitation (human or animals) and Sports. Just to name a few.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Personally, perhaps something with Homeopathy, Organics and Horticulture, Rehabilitation (human or animals) and Sports. Just to name a few.
She will certainly get support from her father-in-law if she chose to get involved with alternative medicine and anthing organic!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope she does. And it would be nice that she should have the total support of her father in-law and that he would have someone within his inner circle who also finds such causes to be of significant importance, thus worthy of patronage.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Her future role???

Her role is simply to be there. William will have a role but Kate actually won't - she will look pretty, have a couple of babies and that really is all her life is from now on. She doesn't have a 'role'.

To me the term 'role' means something official.

She won't have any official role but simply be expected to support her husband (hopefully she understands this and won't begin to think that she is somehow important for herself).
Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 AM
Nobility

Well, how about her future role as a mother? Perhaps she feels that she should be confirmed and become stronger in her own faith before she begins raising children, one of whom will become the head of the Church of England.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:57 AM
Commoner

So the DoE doesn't have a "role"? The Queen Mother didn't have a "role"? Silly me - here I was thinking they were important people in the BRF. Thanks for straightening me out.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles