The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymphna View Post
If William and Kate do not take the time to build up their marriage and get Kate used to Royal life, we could see another disastrous decade like the 80's. This would not be a good thing for the monarchy at all. They are people, after all, and deserve to make sure their relationship can weather the storms of royal life.
I don't think that anyone is saying that they shouldn't work on their relationship but that is also a life-long project. I also don't expect her to do hundreds of engagements right away but she is capable of doing more than just ascot and the trooping of the color. That is the problem with having William as her sole trainer. It allows them the "excuse" of only working when they can because of his military situation.

What I don't understand is why they are having this huge wedding if not to announce them as a working couple. If they wanted to market them as more of a low-key couple then a ceremony at Windsor Castle would have been far more suitable.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
What I don't understand is why they are having this huge wedding if not to announce them as a working couple. If they wanted to market them as more of a low-key couple then a ceremony at Windsor Castle would have been far more suitable.

The huge wedding has nothing to do with what they will be doing after April 29th but to recognise that William will be King of the UK after the passing of his grandmother and father (hopefully in 30 - 40 years - yes I can see Charles living to over 100).

They will have plenty of time to be full time working royals but the wedding does reflect his position.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The huge wedding has nothing to do with what they will be doing after April 29th but to recognise that William will be King of the UK after the passing of his grandmother and father (hopefully in 30 - 40 years - yes I can see Charles living to over 100).

They will have plenty of time to be full time working royals but the wedding does reflect his position.
I see your point but to me it does. A smaller wedding would mean a smaller role in the family if they would even have one at all. A bigger wedding to me creates more expectations about the role he should be performing.
Then again .
Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I see your point but to me it does. A smaller wedding would mean a smaller role in the family if they would even have one at all. A bigger wedding to me creates more expectations about the role he should be performing.
Then again .
He will be King one day and hence, in time he will have a huge role to play. Whether that is this year or 20 years time the fact remains he is going to have the largest role to play in the royal family and hence he should have the largest wedding possible.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope that they can just William and Katherine, wedded military couple for a little while, with a few engagements thrown in there. I really would like them to have a few quiet years together. But we'll have to see what the future holds for them.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Nobility

The last thiing I ever want to hear coming out of peoples mouth is that she will become the house wife that William needs. I had that said to me a few times after I got engadged and when I married. Kate is a smart, bright, beauitful girl, I hope that she contiues to do go for the people of England, even if its just being at Wills side like Prince Daniel
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Courtier

Are Prince William, Kate Middleton North America bound? - CNN.com

Not sure if its true but it might be a nice start. Though I do think it would send mixed signals. They either need to convey they are low-key royals or busy royals.

As for the wedding celebrations being about William's future I just feel that since everyone knows his position in the royal line-up there is no need for a flashy celebration like this. A better way to keep announcing his role would be for him to attend the opening of parliament or maybe even a state dinner. Maybe they could even come up with a way for Charles, Camilla and Harry to go as well. (state opening of parliament) It may be off topic but I have always wondered why more members of the family don't go? Not enough space?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles and Diana and even Anne have attended the State Opening but the decision was made in the 80s or 90s to cut down the number of members.
I can't see them going back to a larger contingent. The next time we see Charles at the State Opening will be when he is King (unless he has to become Regent) and we probably won't see William there for 30 or so years - when he is King.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Charles and Diana and even Anne have attended the State Opening but the decision was made in the 80s or 90s to cut down the number of members.

I can't see them going back to a larger contingent. The next time we see Charles at the State Opening will be when he is King (unless he has to become Regent) and we probably won't see William there for 30 or so years - when he is King.
It is a pity we won't see more members there. I think it would be a great chance to show family unity during a time that is not just limited to the trooping of the color. Maybe they could just sit in another area of the house of lords rather than next to the Queen. Then again if it is about too many people attending where they sit won't matter.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
It is a pity we won't see more members there. I think it would be a great chance to show family unity during a time that is not just limited to the trooping of the color. Maybe they could just sit in another area of the house of lords rather than next to the Queen. Then again if it is about too many people attending where they sit won't matter.
As the Opening of Parliament is a government occasion that formally opens the session of Parliament, I hardly think its a time to put the royal family on parade. The Queen is the titular head of state although with no real power in the government but to mark history and tradition. She officially opens the sessions of "her" government, signs their documents and maybe advise the PM but that's about as far as her "powers" go. It does add a bit of pomp and pageantry to the occasion though.
There is absolutely no purpose for any other members of the family to attend.

This is how I understand it. I'm sure that if I'm wrong on anything, someone will set the record straight and I'll learn.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Majesty

The wedding celebration is not about conveying whether W&C are "busy" or "low key" royals - given his role in the succession, he is central to the future of the monarchy.

Given that there are enough older royals, William has not entered royal duties full time, which I am sure he has agreed with HM. I have no doubt that W&C will increase their roster of royal engagements, and will start to attend state banquets in time.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Courtier

I understand that some people think that the wedding is about his future but I don't see it that way. It seems like a waste to me. Just an opinion.

As for the state opening of parliament; they used to have both Charles, Anne and later on Charles and Diana go. I don't think it is far fetched to have more people go, they must have just decided on a more low-key approach.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I understand that some people think that the wedding is about his future but I don't see it that way. It seems like a waste to me. Just an opinion.
What do you see the royal wedding as, and why is it a waste?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Weddings per se? Only royal weddings, or only this particular royal wedding?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I don't think its seen as being about William's future, although it very much is, but more of a sign of the continuance of the monarchy and royal family.

Even though the monarchy is considered redundant by some, I think the underlying sentiment of hope for the future is a big key. With a marriage union, it assures in a way that there will be future generations ahead to preserve and honor the ages old traditions of the British people.

That's my take on it.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Majesty

BBC News - Royal wedding: What is the point of official foreign visits?

Royal wedding: What is the point of official foreign visits?

Speculation is rife about where William and Kate will head for on their first official foreign visit. But one thing is for sure, says BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt, they will hope it goes better than Charles and Diana's first overseas trip.
Was this, I wondered, what it was like to be a prize exhibit in a zoo? Standing in a raised, cordoned off section of an Auckland bar, I watched as countless New Zealanders held their camera phones aloft and took pictures -- again and again and again. I was an incidental prey. Their target was the younger, taller, but also follicly challenged, individual chatting to me.
On that evening, last year, Prince William experienced the delights of the company of the British reporters who follow him on tour, while also being reminded of the interest he generates even when thousands of miles from home.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Courtier

What languages do they speak...William,Kate,Henry ?????
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

English, a little French or Italian perhaps.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

I don't know if anyone actually knows for sure what, if any, foreign languages they can speak but just making an assumption from the type of schooling they went through I'd assume there is at least some knowledge (maybe not fluent at all but a little knowledge) of French, Latin, German & maybe Spanish.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Serene Highness

I'm so surprised that so many think she should have "duties." Why? She should have whatever "duties" she and her new husband decide.

And as to purely ceremonial roles being considered worthwhile, well. Meh. Pure ceremonial is pointless.

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles