The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B

Right, official duties for her...Catherine...one cannot just conclude that she should be a fill in for the Queen...again what appropriate/relevant duties should a newly wed wife of the eldest son, a serving officer of the RAF, of the heir to the throne perform? I think the answer is more detailed than just "Oh, here's an empty spot...put her name down"...

When did I ever say Kate will "fill in" for the Queen?? That's silly and I would never say that. I was giving an example, not a comparison. I should have said that there are many invitations sent to each member of the royal family... Charles, Will, Harry, Anne and all of them turn down many, many engagements per year.

What I'm trying to say is there's no shortages of official duties for Kate. Trust me, that is not the reason why she won't be doing engagements. Upon marriage Kate will be the most talked about member of the BRF for awhile and I'm sure there will be organizations, communities and committees clamoring for her attention and presence.

I'm sorry but stating that the royal family can't find anything official for Kate to do doesn't make sense to me. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
When did I ever say Kate will "fill in" for the Queen?? That's silly and I would never say that. I was giving an example, not a comparison. I should have said that there are many invitations sent to each member of the royal family... Charles, Will, Harry, Anne and all of them turn down many engagements per year.
Well, thank you for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
What I'm trying to say is there's no shortages of official duties for Kate. Trust me, that is not the reason why she won't be doing engagements. Upon marriage Kate will be the most talked about member of the BRF for awhile and I'm sure they'll be organizations, communities and committees clamoring for her attention and presence. I'm sorry but stating that the royal family can't find anything official for Kate to do doesn't make sense to me. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
No argument here about the popularity of Catherine following her wedding...I agree hundreds of organizations, communities and committees will request her patronage or just an appearance...but if they do not fit her new royal profile, she will not be allowed to perform such duty... her new profile will be as a newly wed wife to the eldest son, a serving officer in the RAF, of the heir to the throne...what official duties do they perform?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post

No argument here about the popularity of Catherine following her wedding...I agree hundreds of organizations, communities and committees will request her patronage or just an appearance...but if they do not fit her new royal profile, she will not be allowed to perform such duty... her new profile will be as a newly wed wife to the eldest son, a serving officer in the RAF, of the heir to the throne...what official duties do they perform?
According to me, that is untreaded territory as of yet.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B

I get what you're saying.
That's a good question. She could always cut ribbons..I don't see how that would get in the way.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy

I know many want to see her/them out doing lots of public duties after their wedding (particularly her to show she has a work ethic or whatever) but I honestly think this supposed plan that was written about in the media of having the Queen basically allowing them to enjoy the first few years of married life relatively quietly in Wales whilst William finishes up with the RAF is the best idea. William even now is adding more engagements & appearances each year & I suspect that trend will continue & after the wedding Catherine will effectively tag along & slowly build up her own separate duties. I see no reason, as of yet, to rush them/her into a huge amount of duties.

I reckon it's fine if they attend the usual big family engagements, Trooping of the Colour etc & have her tag along to William's usual public engagements & as time goes by slowly increase the amount they both do & the amount that they do separately. I've no problem if they essentially go back to Wales as carry on as they have done but the only difference being that at the various things William attends to, Catherine turns up to as well & maybe 1 or 2 things she picks up for herself that follow some interest of her own. But then that's my own opinion, I know many want her to prove her worth straight away so to speak.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Majesty

I agree, rossop7. No doubt the Queen, having seen the marriages of the 80s collapse and remembering her own time with Philip in Malta, has seen that it's better to let young couples just be couples for awhile without a lot of extra Royal pressure. I'd rather see Kate and William have a more private life if it means that they'll have a stronger life together over the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I know many want to see her/them out doing lots of public duties after their wedding (particularly her to show she has a work ethic or whatever) but I honestly think this supposed plan that was written about in the media of having the Queen basically allowing them to enjoy the first few years of married life relatively quietly in Wales whilst William finishes up with the RAF is the best idea.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Of course when the Queen was a young wife, she would visit her husband when he had shore leave but otherwise she lived in London doing a full round of royal duties. She also left her children in London for months at a time while she went and spent this time with Philip staying in Lord Mountbatten's home. It isn't right to say that she lived there as a wife as she was only there when Philip was available. He commanded his own ship so spent most of the time at sea. They did have months together there but not full time - it was her holiday time she spent there - like she spends her holiday times now at Balmoral for two months and Sandringham for two months.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Majesty

She must have treasured those brief times when she could be a semi-normal young married woman and perhaps wants something similar for William and Catherine although with much more time together. I suppose she thought that the children would be better off with their grandparents and staff rather than with her. I wonder whether she had a lady-in-waiting with her? This is getting seriously off-topic now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Of course when the Queen was a young wife, she would visit her husband when he had shore leave but otherwise she lived in London doing a full round of royal duties.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
If what this article says is true they will not have royal duties for a while......

William, Kate to stay out of public life for two years
I fail to understand why they can't work on their marriage and do royal duties. After all William will still be a rescue pilot, right? So why can't Kate at least attend a few duties a week. I am not advocating 4 or 5 a day. At least not yet I am suprised that the Queen would make such a decision given that she seems like she works so hard even at her age. I feel that this attitude expressed by William and Kate could lead to them becoming irrelevant particularly at a time when people are struggling. After all the royal family is viewed through the changing attitudes of the society around them.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I fail to understand why they can't work on their marriage and do royal duties. After all William will still be a rescue pilot, right?
Completely agree, if this articles true then i'll be very dissapointed.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I fail to understand why they can't work on their marriage and do royal duties. After all William will still be a rescue pilot, right? So why can't Kate at least attend a few duties a week. I am not advocating 4 or 5 a day. At least not yet I am suprised that the Queen would make such a decision given that she seems like she works so hard even at her age. I feel that this attitude expressed by William and Kate could lead to them becoming irrelevant particularly at a time when people are struggling. After all the royal family is viewed through the changing attitudes of the society around them.
There may be a number of reasons - William's schedule of course as she would like to be available to be with him as much as possible, not exposing her on her own too much too soon, not taking away from the work of the older royals (a young couple will certainly overshadow the oldies like The Queen and Charles), and simply giving them a chance to make their marriage work.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Royal Highness

I'm not convinced that a very private couple William & Catherine is what is going to emerge after the wedding. Let's wait and see, shall we?

But in times when the public more and more demands that the Royals should come cheaper and get less money from the taxpayer I personally can understand that those of the Royals who are not payed by the public decide to live like other taxpayers and their family (after all Charles pays taxes!) and that means to do volonteer work only when they want it.

William is a professional pilot serving in the army. He is able to support his wife so she can stay at home if she so chooses. Why should she be forced to do something she doesn't like when she is not payed for it? Noone except Royals are treated that way...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
William is a professional pilot serving in the army. He is able to support his wife so she can stay at home if she so chooses. Why should she be forced to do something she doesn't like when she is not payed for it? Noone except Royals are treated that way...
For the two years after their wedding, his SAR work is going to come first and foremost with William and of course Kate will want to be with him in Wales like any new bride. I do think though as we see them do engagements together now and then, we're going to see a very happy couple and they will enjoy what they are doing. They just will not be taking on full time royal duties until after William's stint in SAR is over. He's also been lobbying to not have the SAR squad go private I think and it wouldn't surprise me one bit that if he can, he'd sign on for a longer term. As long as these two have been together, its a given that Kate is well aware of what she will be expected to do and if she had not wanted to take on these duties, she would not have chosen a life with William. Actually I believe that the royals ARE paid for their engagements. It is their private funds that are supported by the Queen or the Prince of Wales.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Queen’s 2yrs off for Prince William and Kate after royal wedding | The Sun |News

And the saga continues ... Another excuse found not to work. People, including me, will think: why does Britain need another Princess when she is not even serving the country in return?

And after 2 years she will get pregant and have an extended maternity leave and will get pregant again... it could take a decade to get Kate finally working.

If this is true, the BRF is really foolish enough to believe that the public opinion wont turn against them dramatically once both hard working oldies have gone, the last ones with a sense of duty and knowing what serving country and people really means.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Queen’s 2yrs off for Prince William and Kate after royal wedding | The Sun |News

And the saga continues ... Another excuse found not to work. People, including me, will think: why does Britain need another Princess when she is not even serving the country in return?

And after 2 years she will get pregant and have an extended maternity leave and will get pregant again... it could take a decade to get Kate finally working.

If this is true, the BRF is really foolish enough to believe that the public opinion wont turn against them dramatically once both hard working oldies have gone, the last ones with a sense of duty and knowing what serving country and people really means.

Lets not just get excited before we know how Kate may or may not deal with her royal role. Given that she will be living in Wales will no doubt put certain restrictions on what she does, and hwo she does it.

I suspect there will be a low profile entry for Kate into the royal world. She will no doubt do the usual summer events - Trooping, Garter, possibly Ascot. She will probably do a few other engagements with Wills, or perhaps with Camilla, and gradually build up her portfolio of causes to support. IMO, you are unlikly to see her doing a 100 engagements in year 1 or anything like that. She is unlikley (and I really do not think it would be required) for her to spend considerable amounts of time away from Wales on the road carrying out engagements.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand why some people are so negative about Kate at this stage. I think she should be given the benefit of the doubt. She seems to be a pleasant, intelligent woman, and she knows William and his family well enought to know what's expected of her and I don't think she would have taken him on if she wasn't prepared to do the job.

I feel sure that she gradually be introduced to Royal duties and that those duties will increase with time as she gains the necessary skills and confidence. She will initially just accompany William to get used to being "on show" constantly and having cameras trained on her, watching her every move and waiting for her to sneer or swear or scratch herself. Then she'll have to get used to talking and thinking on her feet while still managing to constantly smile, etc. She'll be gradually introduced to it all, and I'm sure she'll do her best. I am sure that she has already given consideration to the causes she will take on.

As for her taking time off to have babies and being on "maternity leave" for a while, she can hardly be criticised for that since that is her main job.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't understand why some people are so negative about Kate at this stage. I think she should be given the benefit of the doubt. She seems to be a pleasant, intelligent woman, and she knows William and his family well enought to know what's expected of her and I don't think she would have taken him on if she wasn't prepared to do the job.

I feel sure that she gradually be introduced to Royal duties and that those duties will increase with time as she gains the necessary skills and confidence. She will initially just accompany William to get used to being "on show" constantly and having cameras trained on her, watching her every move and waiting for her to sneer or swear or scratch herself. Then she'll have to get used to talking and thinking on her feet while still managing to constantly smile, etc. She'll be gradually introduced to it all, and I'm sure she'll do her best. I am sure that she has already given consideration to the causes she will take on.

As for her taking time off to have babies and being on "maternity leave" for a while, she can hardly be criticised for that since that is her main job.
I agree with you and I don't understand why some people are so negative either. It's not like she has done any of us any harm. I also say give her the benefit of the doubt.

But some people will never be pleased...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually I believe that the royals ARE paid for their engagements. It is their private funds that are supported by the Queen or the Prince of Wales.

They are not paid for their engagements. What happens is that if the government says 'we want you to do xxxx' then like any employer they pay the expenses e.g. the cost of getting to the engagements.

They aren't paid xxxx pounds to open a hospital wing and yyyy pounds to do Trooping the Colour.

Royals all used to get payments annually from the Civil List as a salary type thing but that ended in 1992 and now only the Queen and Philip get that but rather than repeal the original legislation that gave those payments to Andrew and Anne and the others the Queen decided to reimburse the government for those payments annually.

When a royal goes overseas it depends on who wants them to go as to who picks up the bill for the expenses e.g. an official visit agreed by the governments of both countries will see those two countries picking up the expenses bill - such as transport and security but as for a salary as such no - none of them get one.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

If William and Kate do not take the time to build up their marriage and get Kate used to Royal life, we could see another disastrous decade like the 80's. This would not be a good thing for the monarchy at all. They are people, after all, and deserve to make sure their relationship can weather the storms of royal life.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

A further article on a similar theme

Should the royals have real jobs?

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles