The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B

Right, official duties for her...Catherine...one cannot just conclude that she should be a fill in for the Queen...again what appropriate/relevant duties should a newly wed wife of the eldest son, a serving officer of the RAF, of the heir to the throne perform? I think the answer is more detailed than just "Oh, here's an empty spot...put her name down"...

When did I ever say Kate will "fill in" for the Queen?? That's silly and I would never say that. I was giving an example, not a comparison. I should have said that there are many invitations sent to each member of the royal family... Charles, Will, Harry, Anne and all of them turn down many, many engagements per year.

What I'm trying to say is there's no shortages of official duties for Kate. Trust me, that is not the reason why she won't be doing engagements. Upon marriage Kate will be the most talked about member of the BRF for awhile and I'm sure there will be organizations, communities and committees clamoring for her attention and presence.


I'm sorry but stating that the royal family can't find anything official for Kate to do doesn't make sense to me. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________

__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
  #322  
Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Sherlock221B's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
When did I ever say Kate will "fill in" for the Queen?? That's silly and I would never say that. I was giving an example, not a comparison. I should have said that there are many invitations sent to each member of the royal family... Charles, Will, Harry, Anne and all of them turn down many engagements per year.
Well, thank you for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
What I'm trying to say is there's no shortages of official duties for Kate. Trust me, that is not the reason why she won't be doing engagements. Upon marriage Kate will be the most talked about member of the BRF for awhile and I'm sure they'll be organizations, communities and committees clamoring for her attention and presence. I'm sorry but stating that the royal family can't find anything official for Kate to do doesn't make sense to me. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
No argument here about the popularity of Catherine following her wedding...I agree hundreds of organizations, communities and committees will request her patronage or just an appearance...but if they do not fit her new royal profile, she will not be allowed to perform such duty... her new profile will be as a newly wed wife to the eldest son, a serving officer in the RAF, of the heir to the throne...what official duties do they perform?
__________________

  #323  
Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Well, thank you for clearing that up.



No argument here about the popularity of Catherine following her wedding...I agree hundreds of organizations, communities and committees will request her patronage or just an appearance...but if they do not fit her new royal profile, she will not be allowed to perform such duty... her new profile will be as a newly wed wife to the eldest son, a serving officer in the RAF, of the heir to the throne...what official duties do they perform?
According to me, that is untreaded territory as of yet.
  #324  
Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B

Well, thank you for clearing that up.

No argument here about the popularity of Catherine following her wedding...I agree hundreds of organizations, communities and committees will request her patronage or just an appearance...but if they do not fit her new royal profile, she will not be allowed to perform such duty... her new profile will be as a newly wed wife to the eldest son, a serving officer in the RAF, of the heir to the throne...what official duties do they perform?
I get what you're saying.
That's a good question. She could always cut ribbons..I don't see how that would get in the way.
__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
  #325  
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 207
I know many want to see her/them out doing lots of public duties after their wedding (particularly her to show she has a work ethic or whatever) but I honestly think this supposed plan that was written about in the media of having the Queen basically allowing them to enjoy the first few years of married life relatively quietly in Wales whilst William finishes up with the RAF is the best idea. William even now is adding more engagements & appearances each year & I suspect that trend will continue & after the wedding Catherine will effectively tag along & slowly build up her own separate duties. I see no reason, as of yet, to rush them/her into a huge amount of duties.

I reckon it's fine if they attend the usual big family engagements, Trooping of the Colour etc & have her tag along to William's usual public engagements & as time goes by slowly increase the amount they both do & the amount that they do separately. I've no problem if they essentially go back to Wales as carry on as they have done but the only difference being that at the various things William attends to, Catherine turns up to as well & maybe 1 or 2 things she picks up for herself that follow some interest of her own. But then that's my own opinion, I know many want her to prove her worth straight away so to speak.
  #326  
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,157
I agree, rossop7. No doubt the Queen, having seen the marriages of the 80s collapse and remembering her own time with Philip in Malta, has seen that it's better to let young couples just be couples for awhile without a lot of extra Royal pressure. I'd rather see Kate and William have a more private life if it means that they'll have a stronger life together over the long term.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I know many want to see her/them out doing lots of public duties after their wedding (particularly her to show she has a work ethic or whatever) but I honestly think this supposed plan that was written about in the media of having the Queen basically allowing them to enjoy the first few years of married life relatively quietly in Wales whilst William finishes up with the RAF is the best idea.
  #327  
Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,643
Of course when the Queen was a young wife, she would visit her husband when he had shore leave but otherwise she lived in London doing a full round of royal duties. She also left her children in London for months at a time while she went and spent this time with Philip staying in Lord Mountbatten's home. It isn't right to say that she lived there as a wife as she was only there when Philip was available. He commanded his own ship so spent most of the time at sea. They did have months together there but not full time - it was her holiday time she spent there - like she spends her holiday times now at Balmoral for two months and Sandringham for two months.
  #328  
Old 01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,157
She must have treasured those brief times when she could be a semi-normal young married woman and perhaps wants something similar for William and Catherine although with much more time together. I suppose she thought that the children would be better off with their grandparents and staff rather than with her. I wonder whether she had a lady-in-waiting with her? This is getting seriously off-topic now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Of course when the Queen was a young wife, she would visit her husband when he had shore leave but otherwise she lived in London doing a full round of royal duties.
  #329  
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
If what this article says is true they will not have royal duties for a while......


William, Kate to stay out of public life for two years
I fail to understand why they can't work on their marriage and do royal duties. After all William will still be a rescue pilot, right? So why can't Kate at least attend a few duties a week. I am not advocating 4 or 5 a day. At least not yet I am suprised that the Queen would make such a decision given that she seems like she works so hard even at her age. I feel that this attitude expressed by William and Kate could lead to them becoming irrelevant particularly at a time when people are struggling. After all the royal family is viewed through the changing attitudes of the society around them.
  #330  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I fail to understand why they can't work on their marriage and do royal duties. After all William will still be a rescue pilot, right?
Completely agree, if this articles true then i'll be very dissapointed.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #331  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I fail to understand why they can't work on their marriage and do royal duties. After all William will still be a rescue pilot, right? So why can't Kate at least attend a few duties a week. I am not advocating 4 or 5 a day. At least not yet I am suprised that the Queen would make such a decision given that she seems like she works so hard even at her age. I feel that this attitude expressed by William and Kate could lead to them becoming irrelevant particularly at a time when people are struggling. After all the royal family is viewed through the changing attitudes of the society around them.
There may be a number of reasons - William's schedule of course as she would like to be available to be with him as much as possible, not exposing her on her own too much too soon, not taking away from the work of the older royals (a young couple will certainly overshadow the oldies like The Queen and Charles), and simply giving them a chance to make their marriage work.
  #332  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
I'm not convinced that a very private couple William & Catherine is what is going to emerge after the wedding. Let's wait and see, shall we?

But in times when the public more and more demands that the Royals should come cheaper and get less money from the taxpayer I personally can understand that those of the Royals who are not payed by the public decide to live like other taxpayers and their family (after all Charles pays taxes!) and that means to do volonteer work only when they want it.

William is a professional pilot serving in the army. He is able to support his wife so she can stay at home if she so chooses. Why should she be forced to do something she doesn't like when she is not payed for it? Noone except Royals are treated that way...
  #333  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 7,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
William is a professional pilot serving in the army. He is able to support his wife so she can stay at home if she so chooses. Why should she be forced to do something she doesn't like when she is not payed for it? Noone except Royals are treated that way...
For the two years after their wedding, his SAR work is going to come first and foremost with William and of course Kate will want to be with him in Wales like any new bride. I do think though as we see them do engagements together now and then, we're going to see a very happy couple and they will enjoy what they are doing. They just will not be taking on full time royal duties until after William's stint in SAR is over. He's also been lobbying to not have the SAR squad go private I think and it wouldn't surprise me one bit that if he can, he'd sign on for a longer term. As long as these two have been together, its a given that Kate is well aware of what she will be expected to do and if she had not wanted to take on these duties, she would not have chosen a life with William. Actually I believe that the royals ARE paid for their engagements. It is their private funds that are supported by the Queen or the Prince of Wales.
  #334  
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 12,045
Queen’s 2yrs off for Prince William and Kate after royal wedding | The Sun |News

And the saga continues ... Another excuse found not to work. People, including me, will think: why does Britain need another Princess when she is not even serving the country in return?

And after 2 years she will get pregant and have an extended maternity leave and will get pregant again... it could take a decade to get Kate finally working.

If this is true, the BRF is really foolish enough to believe that the public opinion wont turn against them dramatically once both hard working oldies have gone, the last ones with a sense of duty and knowing what serving country and people really means.
  #335  
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Queen’s 2yrs off for Prince William and Kate after royal wedding | The Sun |News

And the saga continues ... Another excuse found not to work. People, including me, will think: why does Britain need another Princess when she is not even serving the country in return?

And after 2 years she will get pregant and have an extended maternity leave and will get pregant again... it could take a decade to get Kate finally working.

If this is true, the BRF is really foolish enough to believe that the public opinion wont turn against them dramatically once both hard working oldies have gone, the last ones with a sense of duty and knowing what serving country and people really means.

Lets not just get excited before we know how Kate may or may not deal with her royal role. Given that she will be living in Wales will no doubt put certain restrictions on what she does, and hwo she does it.

I suspect there will be a low profile entry for Kate into the royal world. She will no doubt do the usual summer events - Trooping, Garter, possibly Ascot. She will probably do a few other engagements with Wills, or perhaps with Camilla, and gradually build up her portfolio of causes to support. IMO, you are unlikly to see her doing a 100 engagements in year 1 or anything like that. She is unlikley (and I really do not think it would be required) for her to spend considerable amounts of time away from Wales on the road carrying out engagements.
  #336  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
I don't understand why some people are so negative about Kate at this stage. I think she should be given the benefit of the doubt. She seems to be a pleasant, intelligent woman, and she knows William and his family well enought to know what's expected of her and I don't think she would have taken him on if she wasn't prepared to do the job.

I feel sure that she gradually be introduced to Royal duties and that those duties will increase with time as she gains the necessary skills and confidence. She will initially just accompany William to get used to being "on show" constantly and having cameras trained on her, watching her every move and waiting for her to sneer or swear or scratch herself. Then she'll have to get used to talking and thinking on her feet while still managing to constantly smile, etc. She'll be gradually introduced to it all, and I'm sure she'll do her best. I am sure that she has already given consideration to the causes she will take on.

As for her taking time off to have babies and being on "maternity leave" for a while, she can hardly be criticised for that since that is her main job.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
  #337  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't understand why some people are so negative about Kate at this stage. I think she should be given the benefit of the doubt. She seems to be a pleasant, intelligent woman, and she knows William and his family well enought to know what's expected of her and I don't think she would have taken him on if she wasn't prepared to do the job.

I feel sure that she gradually be introduced to Royal duties and that those duties will increase with time as she gains the necessary skills and confidence. She will initially just accompany William to get used to being "on show" constantly and having cameras trained on her, watching her every move and waiting for her to sneer or swear or scratch herself. Then she'll have to get used to talking and thinking on her feet while still managing to constantly smile, etc. She'll be gradually introduced to it all, and I'm sure she'll do her best. I am sure that she has already given consideration to the causes she will take on.

As for her taking time off to have babies and being on "maternity leave" for a while, she can hardly be criticised for that since that is her main job.
I agree with you and I don't understand why some people are so negative either. It's not like she has done any of us any harm. I also say give her the benefit of the doubt.

But some people will never be pleased...
  #338  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually I believe that the royals ARE paid for their engagements. It is their private funds that are supported by the Queen or the Prince of Wales.

They are not paid for their engagements. What happens is that if the government says 'we want you to do xxxx' then like any employer they pay the expenses e.g. the cost of getting to the engagements.

They aren't paid xxxx pounds to open a hospital wing and yyyy pounds to do Trooping the Colour.

Royals all used to get payments annually from the Civil List as a salary type thing but that ended in 1992 and now only the Queen and Philip get that but rather than repeal the original legislation that gave those payments to Andrew and Anne and the others the Queen decided to reimburse the government for those payments annually.

When a royal goes overseas it depends on who wants them to go as to who picks up the bill for the expenses e.g. an official visit agreed by the governments of both countries will see those two countries picking up the expenses bill - such as transport and security but as for a salary as such no - none of them get one.
  #339  
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Dymphna's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gettysburg, PA, United States
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Queen’s 2yrs off for Prince William and Kate after royal wedding | The Sun |News

And the saga continues ... Another excuse found not to work. People, including me, will think: why does Britain need another Princess when she is not even serving the country in return?

And after 2 years she will get pregant and have an extended maternity leave and will get pregant again... it could take a decade to get Kate finally working.

If this is true, the BRF is really foolish enough to believe that the public opinion wont turn against them dramatically once both hard working oldies have gone, the last ones with a sense of duty and knowing what serving country and people really means.
If William and Kate do not take the time to build up their marriage and get Kate used to Royal life, we could see another disastrous decade like the 80's. This would not be a good thing for the monarchy at all. They are people, after all, and deserve to make sure their relationship can weather the storms of royal life.
  #340  
Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Elly C's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Worcester, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,339
A further article on a similar theme

Should the royals have real jobs?
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
albania ascot 2016 best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday coup d'etat crown prince crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion david armstrong-jones denmark dictatorship duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge fashion poll general news iran jewels king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 october and november 2016 picture of the week prince charles prince louis princess charlene princess marie princess marie events princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary eveningwear princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen mathilde in jordan queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania dresses queen rania fashion queen silvia revolution september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara time travel


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises