Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Malta - September 20-21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey · 6h
Duchess of Cambridge "very keen" to go to Malta- leaving decision to last min. William may go instead if she isn't up to it @sundayexpress1

Would it really be perceived as an insult to Malta? Kate may one day be Queen Consort, but she's not yet. Beatrice is a granddaughter of the current Queen Regnant who lived in Malta in her early married life. She might not be recognised in the CC but she has Royal blood in her veins. She is a Royal Princess. Beatrice could do the meetings and greetings and document-inspections and event-watching just as well if not better than Kate and can speak to people about what her grandmother has told her over the last 26 years about her days living in Malta as a young woman.

I'd love to see Beatrice be the one to go.

Well said, Roslyn! I wish the York-family hater would just go away. They make no sense at all:bang:

Has Beatrice done anything close to the Malta trip before? Does she have any experience representing the Queen in any compactly on her own?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

No she hasn't and the Queen isn't about to start now with her. Its nothing against Bea or the Yorks but this event is just too high profile and too "Royal" for Bea. Bea is a loved family member and she will always have a bit part to play within the family if she chooses but it won't be representing the Queen at a nation's 50th anniversary celebration of gaining independence from Britain.

We need to remember that HG bears as much resemblance to normal morning sickness as an F-5 hurricane does to a gentle summer shower. It's a debilitating condition with near-continuous violent vomiting with the resultant dehydration and nutrition deprivation. The vomiting can even cause permanent etching of the teeth due to all the acid. I read on another site where a woman reported that she lost 30 pounds in just three weeks because of HG and didn't gain weight at all during the pregnancy despite hospitalization. Replacement IV-fluids are for the dehydration and to provide nutrition and don't usually quell the vomiting. Women in the past died from HG. Often it will last the whole nine months of pregnancy so Catherine was lucky with George. It also has about a 90% rate of recurrence with future pregnancies so it's a brave woman to intentionally take it on again.

I would be astonished if The Duchess goes to Malta. HG normally doesn't resolve this quickly but I hope for her sake that it does...

Women in the past died from childbirth, too. Kate's got the best of medical attention - she won't dehydrate. And she recovered so quickly the first time. 10 days after release from hospital she was at an awards ceremony, and the first time is usually the worst. I'm not saying she's not sick, but I am not too concerned.

I've actually heard that HG gets worse with each pregnancy.

I don't see Beatrice going. Like others have said, this is a high profile event and I think it calls for a more senior royal. If Kate doesn't go, I think it will be Harry or William.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Beatrice be the one to go.

Me too. Partly because Beatrice really seems to enjoy doing royal duties; she also likes history, and I think she'd have a great time seeing the place where her grandmother and grandfather lived sixty-five years ago.

I feel sorry for Kate that she might not be able to go, since I'm sure she's been looking forwards to this trip. Hope she feels better as soon as she apparently did the last time.

Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey · 6h
Duchess of Cambridge "very keen" to go to Malta- leaving decision to last min. William may go instead if she isn't up to it @sundayexpress1

Yeah, I figured it might be William or Harry. I think William is a good choice.

it's a pity that she can't go... it would have been a big step for her...

It is a shame if she couldn't go. She's usually not given a great deal of responsibility to begin with, but it's understandable that she's not well enough to go ahead with the trip. I think she really wanted to go and represent The Queen for the very first time on her own.

Perhaps she could be given another role like; representing the Queen at the The Sovereign's Parade at Sandhurst, presenting new colours to a military regiment or attending the Founder's Day parade at the Royal Hospital.

It is a shame if she couldn't go. She's usually not given a great deal of responsibility to begin with, but it's understandable that she's not well enough to go ahead with the trip. I think she really wanted to go and represent The Queen for the very first time on her own.

Perhaps she could be given another role like; representing the Queen at the The Sovereign's Parade at Sandhurst, presenting new colours to a military regiment or attending the Founder's Day parade at the Royal Hospital.

I am sure more duties will come her way, once she is feeling better. I would also like to see Camilla do more overseas tours on her own. After all, she is the next Queen.

I am sure more duties will come her way, once she is feeling better. I would also like to see Camilla do more overseas tours on her own. After all, she is the next Queen.

I would also like to see Camilla do some tours on her own but I think she made a comment the last time she went on a tour in Paris. I think she said that it would be her last time doing so or something along those lines.

It would be nice to see Catherine take on more bigger roles though. She has proven she can handle it.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 1h
Have seen the rumours regarding Prince Harry stepping in for this week's trip to Malta. Don't rule the Duchess of Cambridge out yet, though.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 1h
Sources say while Kate has been extremely sick, she desperately wants to go - and has set a deadline of Wednesday to decide. #Malta #Kate

Last edited:
I would also like to see Camilla do some tours on her own but I think she made a comment the last time she went on a tour in Paris. I think she said that it would be her last time doing so or something along those lines.

She said that as a joke, suggesting that it could be the last tour, if she messed things up.

She said that as a joke, suggesting that it could be the last tour, if she messed things up.

Oh I see. I thought it was a bit odd she said that, lol. She haven't done a trip like that since though.

Oh I see. I thought it was a bit odd she said that, lol. She haven't done a trip like that since though.

That trip was only a little over a year ago, so plenty of time for her to do more solo trips. I think she should aim to do one solo trip a year now.

It won't solely be Kate's decision anyway. She is being treated by the Queen's personal physician and also the physician to the Royal Household and obviously their opinions will matter to the Queen.

Kate's health and personal well being are the number one priorities so even is she feels up to it the doctors may overrule her.

If she can't make though its not a catastrophe because William or Harry will just take her place.

Last edited:
According to Camilla Tominey, stories about Harry going are untrue. William is the alternate but Catherine is still hopeful of going.

Via twitter

This is a royal reporter from Sunday Express

According to Camilla Tominey, stories about Harry going are untrue. William is the alternate but Catherine is still hopeful of going.

Via twitter

This is a royal reporter from Sunday Express

I wouldn't want to have morning sickness on an airplane, but if Catherine really wants to go, perhaps William should go with her. (I would leave George with a nanny, but there is no reason they couldn't take him along).

The pressure would be off her. If she is feeling well, the tour can go as schedules and William could fill in at the last minute if she gets sick.

Round about 5th August 2014, Robert Jobson of the Evening Standard said that he did not believe the pregnancy rumours, as the Duchess was going to Malta in September, and he did not believe the trip would happen if she was pregnant. No mention was made of the HG condition. He just said that a pregnant Kate would not be able to go, thereby dismissing the pregnancy rumours, as she was going to go.

Now a pregnancy has been announced, it appears Robert Jobson may still be right. I doubt an announcement tomorrow morning, Wednesday, 17 September, will confirm she is going to Malta.

Again, I think its going to be Prince Andrew!

I wouldn't want to have morning sickness on an airplane, but if Catherine really wants to go, perhaps William should go with her. (I would leave George with a nanny, but there is no reason they couldn't take him along).

The pressure would be off her. If she is feeling well, the tour can go as schedules and William could fill in at the last minute if she gets sick.

that would indeed be a nice option. but i think it would be too much hassle, and cost involved, everytime they get a second royal on board of this caliber security personnel needs to be doubled, and it must already be quite an expense. she may not even feel like she can travel if her nausea is too bad (travelling when sick is really quite awful...). besides, i'd imagine it would be quite a lot of speculation until the last minute, with paps wanting to see them arrive at the airport and get the first picture of them together after the announcement, etc.... which would undoubtedly add a lot of pressure on kate.

For security and the scheduling, I would think that the royal party wouldn't be flying commercial but a chartered private plane sort what the Queen and Philip used to visit Italy in the spring. It appeared to some sort of Gulfstream or similar private jet. That would make the flight easier for Kate if she went.

Also with the advanced planning done by the KP staff, it would be easier for William or Harry to slide in comparison to Andrew or Beatrice.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If this time around is the same as the last time, she made a quick presentation on TV about two and a half weeks after the pregnancy announcement. At about 3 weeks after the announcement she went to a staff Christmas party. I think that was all she could do for about a month.Those activities took very little time, probably less than an hour each, not hour after hour of engagments the way these tours go.
So far, it has only been a little over a week since the pregnancy announcement. I figure she is really in the worst part of the HG.

Were there any other engagements after the Malta trip?

I assume whoever is going will have to be ready to fly out on Friday.

No news from Clarence House, as yet! Is Kate in Bucklebury now?

Last edited:
Hopefully, we should have some news by this evening.

I think Freddie and Sophie Windsor are going in her place. :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom