Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Malta - September 20-21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a great thing to see Catherine will be representing The Queen on her first solo trip. I've been waiting to see her take her first step in her senior royal role and this is that first step.

I know the Queen lived on Malta early on in her marriage when she was still Princess Elizabeth...I wonder if she will tell Kate about some of the places she should try and see (on her private time if she has any).

LaRae

Great that Kate will have the oppirtunity to show off some skills and qualities! I must admit I am very curious about her future behaviour! Malta is a lovely and sunny island!

A very big deal for Catherine. Camilla didn't do her first solo trip abroad until 2013, after 8 years of marriage.

The Queen obviously has a lot of faith in the Duchess of Cambridge

Its 2 days, Sat 20th and Sun 21st September (weekend which is nice) and according to one royal reporter, it is a very busy schedule.

It is an honour for Catherine to get the opportunity to represent HM in Malta. Their time in Malta was very precious to HM and the DoE.

Yes, the Queen has said she has fond memories of Malta, you know, being a housewife. It was three months and the children were back in England.

I'm sure Kate will do a nice job; it's just 2 days.

I think it's great that Kate is taking up more engagements especially since she is the potential future queen of the uk......but personally, as citizen of the Free and Indipendant Republic of Malta, I think it's a bit insulting to send a member of the family ruling the country which used to rule my country.....we are celebrating 50 years of independence from England...and we commemorate this day by inviting representatives of the country which was preventing this from happening earlier ....IMO the indipendance celebrations should include Maltese people only cos IMO inventing representatives of the BRF will detract attention from the importance of the event....sry if I sound a bit hostile it's not that I don't won't royals in Malta cos we've had royals from all over the world visiting (which we all greeted warmly) But indipendance celebrations are not the same as the inauguration of an exhibition at the British embassy in Ta' Xbiex

Last edited:
I think it's great that Kate is taking up more engagements especially since she is the potential future queen of the uk......but personally, as citizen of the Free and Indipendant Republic of Malta, I think it's a bit insulting to send a member of the family ruling the country which used to rule my country.....we are celebrating 50 years of independence from England...and we commemorate this day by inviting representatives of the country which was preventing this from happening earlier ....IMO the indipendance celebrations should include Maltese people only cos IMO inventing representatives of the BRF will detract attention from the importance of the event....sry if I sound a bit hostile it's not that I don't won't royals in Malta cos we've had royals from all over the world visiting (which we all greeted warmly) But indipendance celebrations are not the same as the inauguration of an exhibition at the British embassy in Ta' Xbiex

Fair comment, but she is going at the invitation of the Maltese government. the worlds press will turn up, it will have a positive imapct on your tourist industry and your government is being very astute.

My assumption is that she is representing the Queen in her capacity as Head of the Commonwealth, an organisation which Malta is a member.

A very big deal for Catherine. Camilla didn't do her first solo trip abroad until 2013, after 8 years of marriage.

The Queen obviously has a lot of faith in the Duchess of Cambridge

Yes, it's really showing that Her Majesty and the "Firm" is pretty confident that Catherine will do a good job in representing them. It also show that there's a need for Catherine and William to be more involved in the inner workings of the "Firm."

Catherine do a pretty good job on carrying out official engagements on her own too. Over time she has gained a great deal of confidence in her royal role as a William's consort, future Princess of Wales and Queen. Although I'm still waiting for her to take on some honorary military appointments and other roles within the royal family, she's on the right track with this solo trip.

Can't wait to see the itinerary for this visit. It's a major visit for her and there will no doubt be a large media presence.

A part of me is hoping for a tiara appearance but highly unlikely :sad:

Very good for Catherine and shows how trust HM has put into her to go to such an important event.

Will it really be a 2-day visit or a pseudo 2-day visit. Leave England in the morning of the first day, tour around a bit, have free time and then perhaps something in the evening. Then day 2, visit someplace in the morning, maybe church, and back on the aircraft around 2 or 3 for the flight home. That equals 1 actual day. Callin' 'em as I see 'em.

I think you raise a valid point but I also took it that the invite came from Malta to a fellow commonwealth country - I guess other Commonwealth leaders will have been invited.

Your government has invited Catherine. You should ask your government why they made such decision.
From the queen's point of view, really insulting thing would be to reject the invitation and not send Catherine.

Last edited:
how exciting! i must admit this looks to me like quite a high profile event for kate on her own, but it's great news she's doing it. i'm already looking forward.
i predict some sort of white and red outfit to match the flag. :)

Will it really be a 2-day visit or a pseudo 2-day visit. Leave England in the morning of the first day, tour around a bit, have free time and then perhaps something in the evening. Then day 2, visit someplace in the morning, maybe church, and back on the aircraft around 2 or 3 for the flight home. That equals 1 actual day. Callin' 'em as I see 'em.
Which is a similar itinerary for most royal visits especially ones that are not too far away. :)

I think it's going to be a very busy itinerary.

I don't know If I got my history correct. Didn't Malta actually ask to made a part of the British Empire for protection and at one point they nearly even became part of the United Kingdom but the plan fell through. I think it was clear for Malta either become a part of the UK or be indepedent.

It would be quite frankly insulting not invite a member of BRF who had nothing but respect for the island and its people.

Last edited:

It is a bit ironic. The same thing happened in the US. HM and DoE visited Washington DC during the bicentennial celebrating independence from the British. HM was gracious and commented in a humorous fashion IIRC. I'm sure Kate will be well prepped on her role. looking forward to seeing her on the stage alone.

Lets not over- egg this. she is going solo in a Commonwealthcountry which is good; it is a short trip (1 night away). So dont make out to be something tremendous because if it isnt,then the negative people will blame her.

and speaking of negativepeople, there is no reason to be negative either. she is doing a job on behalf of the Queen. she didnt decide on the programme as it is a national event. Just go with it.

Hope she likes the sound of church bells - lots of them at once, most of the time. Thatsmy abiding memory of Malta. But it is alovely place with lovely people.

Ok so perhaps 'insult' was too strong a word to use ...but what I meant was that the central event should be centered around the country and it's people from 1964 till today. I am well aware that it's the Maltese government who sent the invitation but that does not mean that I have to agree with the decision either.....I am very proud that my country was able to have a very civil and peaceful separation from the Uk while still maintaining good relations after.....therefore I think that yes we should celebrate that fact but perhaps at a different event on the day...just not the main one on the Fosos square in Floriana.
I am certain that Kate will receive a warm welcome that's how we do things here it's part of our culture...we welcome every one ....but I'm afraid that with her presence the media will be too focused on how she looks during the visit and create drama about leaving her child at home rather than the event she went to commemorate ....I know that that's not some thing she has control over.....but it's rather a shame

Ok so perhaps 'insult' was too strong a word to use ...but what I meant was that the central event should be centered around the country and it's people from 1964 till today. I am well aware that it's the Maltese government who sent the invitation but that does not mean that I have to agree with the decision either.....I am very proud that my country was able to have a very civil and peaceful separation from the Uk while still maintaining good relations after.....therefore I think that yes we should celebrate that fact but perhaps at a different event on the day...just not the main one on the Fosos square in Floriana.
I am certain that Kate will receive a warm welcome that's how we do things here it's part of our culture...we welcome every one ....but I'm afraid that with her presence the media will be too focused on how she looks during the visit and create drama about leaving her child at home rather than the event she went to commemorate ....I know that that's not some thing she has control over.....but it's rather a shame

I do have to agree with you about the focus being on what she wears and any other little thing that will have no relation to the actual significance of the reason that she's there. For this we need to blame the media. Kate, herself, I think will be very grounded into where she is, why she is there and do her best to represent The Queen in the best possible manner.

To be honest, I think that this engagement would be one that the Queen would really have liked to attended in person as Malta has meant so much to her in the past. Perhaps this is what affected her decision to send Kate solo.

I do hope that the press does give more attention to why she is there rather than the inanities that really don't matter.

It would be very useful to know exactly what Malta intends to do events wise on the day of its celebration of 50 years of independence and how this will be projected to the rest of the world. I am sorry to say that until this thread was started, I had no idea Catherine was visiting the country and when I started reading the thread today, it was only then that I found out that Malta was celebrating 50 years of independence! I hope this significant and celebratory event is covered fully here in the UK and not just because of a royal visit.

I hope this significant and celebratory event is covered fully here in the UK and not just because of a royal visit.
I think it is unlikely that other than the broadsheet papers, this event will receive the coverage you hope for. No doubt the BBC will attempt to provide a historical slant on events, but other than that, I should imagine Kate's first solo foreign visit will indeed be considered the newsworthy item. I venture to say that were there no British Royals attending, the tabloids probably would confine any coverage to a small item on an inside page. I can well understand the frustration by some but I am afraid that is how it is.

The programme for the Duchess of Cambridge's visit to Malta from 20-21 September has been announced by Kensington Palace.

Saturday 20 September

Event 1: Call on the President of Malta at San Anton Palace,
where the Duchess will be staying.

Event 2: Call on the Prime Minister of Malta at Auberge de Castille.

Event 3: In Guardia Pageant, Palace Square, Valletta
The Duchess will view a re-enactment of an historical event – the inspection of the fort and garrison by the Grand Bailiff of the Order of the Knights of St John. A variety of military drills will be displayed.

Event 4: National Library, Valletta
The Duchess will view a number of historical documents, including letters from King Henry VIII and George II, and the original citation awarding the George Cross to Malta.

Event 5: Independence Day Celebrations, Upper Barrakka Gardens
The Duchess will attend an evening celebration. The backdrop to the celebration will be the spectacular view of the Grand Harbour.

Sunday 21 September

Event 6: Independence Day Service, St John's Co-Cathedral
The Duchess will attend a church service. She will later view the two Caravaggios in the Cathedral Museum.

Event 7: Access Centre in Vittoriosa
The Duchess will visit Agenzija Zghazagh (Agency for Youth), a government agency which runs a number of initiatives for young people. HRH will hear about the work of the agency from the young people who use the centre and their support workers.

Event 8: Short walk in Vittoriosa Square
The Duchess will take a short walk through the town square. She will then be taken to the Church of St Lawrence to view Maltese art before leaving for the harbour.

Event 9: Boat Tour, Grand Harbour
The Duchess will take a short boat tour across the Grand Harbour to see some iconic views between Vittoriosa and Valletta.

Event 10: The High Commissioner's Garden Party, High Commissioner's Residence
The Duchess will attend an Independence Day Celebration hosted by the British High Commissioner.

https://www.facebook.com/majestymagazine

I'm so excited! A big step up for the Duchess of Cambridge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom