Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been publicly stated that Kate and William will not have servants at their Welsh cottage so Kate and William will be having to do the cleaning and washing for the time being. Personally, I think the Duke and Duchess deserve a bit of down time. I'd like to see them at the big events, but there is no need for them to be full time royals at the mo.

I wish I could believe that about the servants. They might not have live-ins, but I'll bet my mansion house on it that DoCa will need a lot of magazine subscriptions! LOL

Its not a question of money but of privacy. They prefer to be alone, really alone at home, thus they do the work that need to be done themselves instead of having hired help which potentially prying eyes and information for sale.

I agree.The Dutchess cooked when they were at St Andrews.The Duke has talked about enjoying Carole Middleton cooking.So I am sure The Dutchess was taught to cook and clean .

The Queen was never just a housewife. She was a full-time working royal before she married.

When Philip was on leave in Malta she would go out and spend time with him but when he was at sea she was working in Britain as a royal on duties.

Understand your point. But where does it say that Kate will "JUST be a housewife?" She definitely won't. She and William will have joint appearances and official duties. They simply won't be FULL-TIME royals just yet.

Since the engagement, Kate has been on 4 high-profile official visits around the UK. And she's signed up for an 8-day overseas tour of Canada in July. No other new royal bride has taken on so much so soon. Plus there are reports of overseas tours to more Commonwealth countries next year. So all this talk of her "disappearing" does not make sense at all. It's the media's way of saying, "hey, we need to see you more so we can critique your wardrobe, dissect everything you do and therefore sell more papers." Diana was a media cash cow, and since her death, the press has been desperate for someone to fill her shoes.

I think keeping a low profile is one of the best decisions they've made. They are the new media darlings, and God knows too much publicity too soon burned many before them. As in their wedding prayer, they are seeing through "what is real and what is important." Good on them!

Its not a question of money but of privacy. They prefer to be alone, really alone at home, thus they do the work that need to be done themselves instead of having hired help which potentially prying eyes and information for sale.

Also it shouldn't be overly taxing or time consuming for two young, healthy people to keep themselves fed and their house reasonably tidy. If they were doing a lot of official entertaining or living in a huge mansion it might be different but it sounds like they really do live very simple, normal lives in Wales.

If she's like other brides then she has a lot of thank you notes to write. And with 2000 people that's a lot (donations should be thanked also)

She's got a very busy June-July. She does need to read up on Canada and current events. She does need to start by being a support to William, instead she will look to some like she is trying to be the next Diana, or those that say she just aimed to be a princess for status sake will have a field day. William is VERY protective of his father and Camilla and I think they don't want to overshadow them. She will take on jobs, but I imagine they will be smaller, meaningful ones, instead of trying to milk headlines. At least for now. And that's the right thing. I'm sure they want the Queen, Charles and Camilla to get the most news right now.

Let's look at this from a different perspective.

Clarence House has said that the Duchess won't immediately start taking public engagements. But editors know that the public is hungry for more news about William and Kate and that there's nothing new to report. So they create a headline that screams "Kate says she wants to be a housewife for now!" and sit back while they sell papers. Meanwhile, all of use are discussing why in the world Kate wants to be an ordinary housewife!

Taking another look at the article, there are a lot of direct quotes from a "well-placed source" who is never named. That could be anyone from William's private secretary to the gardener at Clarence House.

I'm not going to :bang: pretending to know what the Duchess is going to do all day as quite frankly, I don't have access to her diary and neither does anyone else here.

I have no problem with her being a housewife, but her "housewife" and our housewife will be quite different. I doubt she can cook, so shoving a pizza in the oven does not take much time. I doubt she will do cleaning. She probably won't wash the car or mow the lawn or do the laundry or sew her own clothes.

I like Kate, but she will never be a housewife...she'll be a stay-at-home wife and nothing more. My opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

This made me laugh so much! Pizza boxes can be a devil to get into and finding the instructions can be a pain and takes an inordinate amount of time:ROFLMAO:.....unless you order takeaway.....

I think if is wonderful that they will have time to be just themselves.

The Queen herself had this opportunity and it would have been so much
better for Sarah. She wanted to go with Andrew and live on his
base.

Ya know upon rereading this article I realized it doesn't actually have Catherine or a rep saying 'housewife' just not full Royal, which some of us expected, plus it says she' 'll do duties with William and when he's busy pursue her own interests (which begs the question what does that mean? What type of interests?) so .....as long as she eventually move into a greater fulltime Royal roll I guess it's ok-but I'm glad she's at least doing some w William bc if she did none that would be upsetting....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Kate-Middleton-says-shell-housewife-now.html

Sure there's the media aspect of wanting to know what's going on with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, but I feel like a fair number of people see this in the broader perspective of history, and it's only natural for people to want to know first or second hand what the future King and Queen of England did in the early years of their marriage. It's like going back and reading stories or reports of what early life was like for the Duke and Duchess of York in the 1920s and wishing you were there...only we ARE HERE! I know they want privacy and to a degree that's understandable, but I'm certainly not going to feel bad about wanting to know what's going on in their life.

Kate should seek her own charities to work with. She is not Diana. I hope the press leaves them alone so that they can have somewhat of a normal life for a couple of years and privacy. When they do go on tours the media will be on them.

I feel the same way. The only way that will happen, though, is if people who genuinely care about William and Kate and their marriage will stop buying the trashies and glossies and the "special editions" that the market will be flooded with once the media really lets loose. I made a conscious decision after Diana's death to pull way back on buying magazines and papers that tried to make money on William and Harry, especially those that use paparazzi material. I buy MAJESTY and an occasional HELLO!, and that's it.

I hope the press leaves them alone so that they can have somewhat of a normal life for a couple of years and privacy. When they do go on tours the media will be on them.

Ya know upon rereading this article I realized it doesn't actually have Catherine or a rep saying 'housewife' just not full Royal, which some of us expected, plus it says she' 'll do duties with William and when he's busy pursue her own interests (which begs the question what does that mean? What type of interests?) so .....as long as she eventually move into a greater fulltime Royal roll I guess it's ok-but I'm glad she's at least doing some w William bc if she did none that would be upsetting....

Royal Wedding 2011: Kate Middleton says she'll be a housewife for now | Mail Online

Exactly. She is not "disappearing" at all. She and William merely won't do "full-time" duties like Charles and Anne who do 500+ engagements a year. And realistically speaking, no one expects them to do that until they're much older -- perhaps when their children are grown, and when William has left the service. Besides, William is only 2nd in line to the throne. Let them enjoy some space while they still can.

Not to worry, we'll get to see Kate every so often. She's already signed up for a rather grueling tour of Canada only 2 months into the marriage. That in itself is a huge deal. No new royal bride has gone on an overseas tour so soon. And then there's talk of more tours around the Commonwealth nations. And then there's appearances at the Queen & Duke's birthdays in June. And William's future engagements which will of course be announced in due time...

All this hoopla is just being stirred by the press, who of course would love to see her out everyday so they can snap away and fill their papers with this and that. Can't blame them, because Kate is by far the biggest royal cash cow. I, for one, am glad the royals know better than to fall into the media trap.

And realistically speaking, no one expects them to do that until they're much older -- perhaps when their children are grown, and when William has left the service. Besides, William is only 2nd in line to the throne. Let them enjoy some space while they still can.

I hope we don't have to wait until their children are grown - that would be way too long - at least another 20 or so years.

I hope we don't have to wait until their children are grown - that would be way too long - at least another 20 or so years.

LOL. You're right. What I meant was at least when their children are old enough to be in school -- likely in boarding school. I think it largely depends on the workload needs of the monarchy... if the Queen & the Duke are too old or (Heaven forbid) gone, depending on Prince Charles' health and capacity to carry on functions, etc... For now, the older generation have the bases covered -- at least enough for William & Harry to have full-time military careers.

On a side note: When Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie graduate from university, are we expecting them to carry on a few functions, too? I think they should.

It would be quite difficult for the new Duchess of Cambridge to do nothing, as surely lots and lots of requests for her presence and her patronage are arriving at Prince William's office at Clarence House daily and in one way or the other she has to deal with them.

But that will take time - it would be very wrong to agree to too much now so she is booked up completely - better to wait and have space in her diary for the real important things for her to come up. The fact that through her wedding gift wish for certain charities she is already involved with them means that well see her rather more than less in the future. At least that's my guess.

Sp patience, please - let her enjoy at least the first weeks of marriage as if she and William were just a normal couple.

On a side note: When Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie graduate from university, are we expecting them to carry on a few functions, too? I think they should.

I read something a couple of weeks ago where the ubiquitous 'sources at the palace' have told them that, as a result of Andrew's fall from grace there is no future for the York girls in the royal future and that they should seek full time careers for themselves.

I too think that they should be pursuing full time careers away from the royal family normal activities particularly as Beatrice finishes uni next monthI believe - and with Kate to be launched there really isn't the opportunity to launch another princess at the same time.

I read something a couple of weeks ago where the ubiquitous 'sources at the palace' have told them that, as a result of Andrew's fall from grace there is no future for the York girls in the royal future and that they should seek full time careers for themselves.

I too think that they should be pursuing full time careers away from the royal family normal activities particularly as Beatrice finishes uni next monthI believe - and with Kate to be launched there really isn't the opportunity to launch another princess at the same time.

It seems to me that would be the wisest choice for those two girls. All they do now is show up at various functions dressed as clowns. I can't imagine them being launched except as parade floats. :lol:

In truth, I doubt Kate made any statements to the press as to her plans for the future. IMO, the next few months for her are to get a better understanding of how the royal household works, and to try and identify what causes she is likely to support. She will also probably be doing a fair amount of planning for their forthcoming trip to Canada.

We are unlikely to know about the level of house help they have (which is absolutely fine from my perspective) so I am not sure any distinctions between a stay at home wife and a housewife, IMO, are purely academic.

From what I have read before, they have a housekeeper that comes in to do the heavy cleaning, but that is it. They seem to enjoy doing their own shopping and cooking and live a pretty low key lifestyle when in Anglesey.

I think Kate being a mordern girl and having had some job experience (and she probably would have continued working had the paps not stalked her all the time when she was a buyer) it would be great to see her take up some causes that help women in need of educational training, work ettiqutte and appareal, etc, so that they can take their rightful place in society as productive members. I don't know all of the stats in England and Wales regarding this topic, but I that is a different type of charity to support and it's a good idea. Or maybe, she could get involved with enivornmental causes. I know that's more of Prince Charles' thing, but I don't think a lot of the princesses have gone that route yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

She could use her art history degree and incorporate that as a patron of the arts! Restorative architecture and empowering the nation's artists would be very cool!

Sorry in advance, this is kind of a long post.

I agree with you 100%, Vita!!

I for one don't mind her taking the time to learn about the Family and how the "Firm" works
Don't forget Kate has to learn how the organization works from the inside out.
But isn't this what their taking 8 years to get married was partly about? PW said in their engagement interview that he wanted to give her a loooong time to see what she'd be getting into if she joined his family (and back out if she wanted to or felt she couldn't handle it). Didn't they also imply in that interview that they've pretty much been engaged since they got back together in 2007, so if that's the case, she's already had 4 years to think about life in "The Firm."

I know things are different once you are actually married but really, they've been together for almost a decade so it's not like Charles and Diana where they had really only been in each others company a dozen or so times before getting married. If it was a situation like that then (again, IMO) I could see wanting to give her lots of time to learn the ropes but DoCa is supposed to be such a smart, level-headed, hardworking woman so I just can't see why she needs another several years of playing housewife, tucked away in Wales.

Sans the official certificate, they've already been living as a married couple for several (6-7?) years so it's just puzzling and kind of shocking to me that she/they want to take MORE time for her to be a housewife. I know that, obviously, she wants to live more in PW's shadow than what happened with Diana but if I were her, I'd be out there right away showing - as QE said in that radio address - that I'm ready to devote the rest of my life to serving the British people (or whatever she said - the rest of her life in service, etc) since she will one day be queen consort. I know she is not in the same position as QE but, I dunno, it just seems like DoCa is taking the extreme opposite position.

If PW is really being deployed, I'm curious what she is literally going to do ALL DAY LONG. She won't be preparing dinner for Wills since he is gone...seriously, what will she do? I know she has to get ready for Canada, but seriously, can't she multi-task?! I think it will look terrible for her if she just stays home for those several (10?) weeks. I don't know if it's the kind of thing that would be done, but I'd like to tag along with QE on a couple of events. Just walking quietly behind, still just watching and learning, but being out there in the public eye to build up a bit of a reputation for going all in. Or at the very least, being willing to go all in.

Is it so surprising that she and William just want to be a "normal" married couple...how ever you define that term?
I don't think it's surprising at all, but, this is kind of the problem for me...they are not "normal." And I kind of feel that if you're going to accept all the pomp and privilege (money, land, power, jewels, protection, houses, etc etc) that come with that family then a) you're not going to have a "normal" life anyway (if that is what you want, then you should abdicate your place in line and go get a job like the rest of us "normal" folks) and b) you should use your position - the one she has right now, as the wife of the heir to the heir - to start helping people.

She's already signed up for a rather grueling tour of Canada only 2 months into the marriage. That in itself is a huge deal. No new royal bride has gone on an overseas tour so soon.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but given the accommodations, servants, personal assistants, private planes, lead time, etc that the royals have, I just can't accept "grueling" to describe any part of their lives...I know being "on" all the time and going on walk-abouts is stressful until you get the hang of it, but, honestly, they do that for what, a few hours and then get to retreat to a palace? My heart can't really bleed for them that their lives are so hard...

Also, didn't Charles and Diana go on a long trip right after their marriage? Or was that the one to Australia after PW was born? I guess it was because they took PW, but I know they did some official visit/work during their honeymoon, right?

I'm really not trying to rag on her because I like both her and PW and am kind of obsessed with the whole royal family/anything royal in general, I guess I am just trying to express what huge disappointment I'll feel if she "disappears" for several years to be a housewife. And, I also think that if they are trying to revamp the monarchy into something more modern, this will not fly with the majority of the public.

Last edited:
A lot of interesting points here:

Can I add a few observations of my own?

Royal 'Thank You letters' for wedding presents or any other presents are usually written by Private Secretaries / Ladies-in-waiting; they are usually quite short and go somewhere along the lines of 'The [insert name of Royal/ Royal couple] has asked me to write to thank you for [your good wishes] [and] the lovely gift of [insert present] that you so kindly sent [for their wedding / anniversary etc] They have asked me to say that [it will be very useful in the garden / the music room / their new home etc]. Once again, thank you for such a lovely thought / present etc.

I know this because I have seen various examples of such letters displayed on varous occasions, including previews of auctions or sometimes by Girl Guide Groups etc. I even saw such a note on display at an agricultural show, where a commerical enterprise was displaying just such a note for a present they had given to Princess Alexandra. Which, incidentally, I found interesting because I was always under the impression that presents were not accepted by Royalty from commercial organisations except at the time of weddings / royal births etc and then only on the strict understanding that no attempt was made to capitalise commerically on the present.

I imagine the above formula will be adapted to deal with the monetary donations to the W & C's charitable fund.

Generally, Royals tend to send handwritten letters of thanks to their close personal friends, for wedding presents and otherwise. Diana Princess of Wales was widely praised for her excellent and prompt letters of thanks to all and sundry and was apparently strict in demanding that even William and Harry did the same from a young age. From memory, Mohammed Fayed published some of these he had received.

A little bit of of information which sort-of fits in here: A few years ago, Viscount Linley was panned by the Media [not just tabloid trash] because after his wedding, he used Princess Margaret's staff to send out letters in the above format ' Viscount & Viscountess Linley have asked me to write and thank you............'. This was felt to be outrageous behaviour because the couple was not royal and secondly, it seemed an indication of not taking the trouble to thank their friends for some quite expensive presents.....

With regard to Royal Duties, yes, it is a fine line to tread. Whilst we all understand the need for the couple to have an appropriate level of privacy, and we also note how they 'wish to be an ordinary couple', in my very humble opinion, I do think that a few engagements should be undertaken to add to the 'pre-wedding' joint engagements that they carried out. We do indeed have the forthcoming Canadian and Californian tours, but I do think that the occasional 'home-grown' engagement would be welcome; yes, the couple want privacy, but at the end of the day, there is no escaping from the fact the William and Catherine will one day become King and Queen, and so however much they might wish to be 'ordinary' the fact is that they are not.

I also have to agree that as the couple has in effect been living together for quite some time, it is not that they need the time as much as some previous married couples to 'get to know each other' etc.

It is indeed a difficult line to tread in my very humble opinion. Obviously, they will no doubt be present at Trooping the Colour etc and the Queen does like a 'show' of the RF at Royal Ascot.

The first step though will be the appointment of a lady-in-waiting or two. Pippa Middleton has been tipped for the role of Catherine's Chief L-in-W, although in my very humble opinion, I think that the Queen might want a more experienced L-in-W appointed to guide and assist Catherine. I think that over the last few years she has of course had a lot of 'exposure' to the Royal 'Way of Life', but without in anyway wishing to be snobbish, because it is not a matter of snobbishness but of protocol, little in Catherine's background [or those of most non-royals come to that] will have prepared her for the minutiae of Royal Life.

I end on a slightly hesitant note: I personally do not like 'unsubstantiated rumours' but in the past [pre-Royal Engagement] some of the better papers [not just the tabloids] had printed stories - which, importantly, were not denied - which suggested that the Queen, whilst expressing belief that Catherine 'seemed like a nice girl' nevetheless had expressed slight concern that she actually did not seem to have anything in the way of a career. The articles I read stated that the Queen felt that the ablility to 'stick at some sort of work' was useful preparation for 'royal duties', which although not as 'taxing' as the day-to-day grind that most of us experience, nevertheless required a consistent level of input to cope with the day-in day-out Royal Round. I have no way of course of knowing whether this was a genuine observation of the Queen. However, at the time of the young Diana's difficulties with settling down to the Royal way of life, the Daily Telegraph was briefed by 'senior palace sources' to the effect that she had never been required in her non-royal life to 'stick at anything', citing Diana's failure to secure even 1 school O level Certificate, her swift departure from her Swiss Finishing School when the end of the ski-ing seasno approached, her failure to complete a dance trainer's course ['she just never turned up again, with no warning'] etc etc.

Anyway, let's see what the future brings for Catherine.

just my thoughts,

Alex

Last edited:
Alex and Lady G. I think you both hit the nail on the head. And there is lot of dwindling interest and lack of respect for all the monarchies these days but the HRHs have injected a fresh crop of interest. I feel that The Duchess of Cambridge should be aware of this and that her involvement along with the Duke and his brother will contribute to keeping our beloved RF intact.

She-much like Prince Daniel of Sweden-has had more than enough time to train. Daniel was a bit lambasted for taking eight months to start his solo engagemnts. Though it came out he had a reason as he was studying at university, but The Duchess will not even have that excuse!

I can see how this might put people off a bit but I will give her an eight month adjustment. And who knows? Once they come back from Canada and Cali she might jump right in!

Alex and Lady G. I think you both hit the nail on the head. And there is lot of dwindling interest and lack of respect for all the monarchies these days but the HRHs have injected a fresh crop of interest. I feel that The Duchess of Cambridge should be aware of this and that her involvement along with the Duke and his brother will contribute to keeping our beloved RF intact.

She-much like Prince Daniel of Sweden-has had more than enough time to train. Daniel was a bit lambasted for taking eight months to start his solo engagemnts. Though it came out he had a reason as he was studying at university, but The Duchess will not even have that excuse!

I can see how this might put people off a bit but I will give her an eight month adjustment. And who knows? Once they come back from Canada and Cali she might jump right in!

But then Daniel married an allready working Crown Princess while Catherine married a husband who works in 24-hour shifts on a remote island location who can only do some Royal or charity duties on his days off. So if she chooses to be with her husband and not be alone in London representing the RF it's fine with me. In fact, they only want to live this life till 2013 - so I wish the public would grant them this time whole-heartedly.

I end on a slightly hesitant note: I personally do not like 'unsubstantiated rumours' but in the past [pre-Royal Engagement] some of the better papers [not just the tabloids] had printed stories - which, importantly, were not denied - which suggested that the Queen, whilst expressing belief that Catherine 'seemed like a nice girl' nevetheless had expressed slight concern that she actually did not seem to have anything in the way of a career.

From the official biography of the Duchess of Cambridge on the RFs homepage I gather that the queen has been informed that Catherine in fact worked for her parents all those years, so is well-trained in supporting the family "firm" - whether it is Party Pieces or the Royal family.

From the official biography of the Duchess of Cambridge on the RFs homepage I gather that the queen has been informed that Catherine in fact worked for her parents all those years, so is well-trained in supporting the family "firm" - whether it is Party Pieces or the Royal family.

well as I don´t know her I cannot say if she just wants to be a housewife because she is a girl and wants to serve her husband and rise the children or (excuse me, I as I said I don´t know) if she is "lazy", her wish to just be with her husband and not doing duties on her own may suit the palace as there would be a problem if she did things on her own - she would outshine the duchess of cornwall quickly, alone given that she is younger and has got fresh air...

A lot of interesting points here:

Can I add a few observations of my own?

Royal 'Thank You letters' for wedding presents or any other presents are usually written by Private Secretaries / Ladies-in-waiting; they are usually quite short and go somewhere along the lines of 'The [insert name of Royal/ Royal couple] has asked me to write to thank you for [your good wishes] [and] the lovely gift of [insert present] that you so kindly sent [for their wedding / anniversary etc] They have asked me to say that [it will be very useful in the garden / the music room / their new home etc]. Once again, thank you for such a lovely thought / present etc.

I imagine the above formula will be adapted to deal with the monetary donations to the W & C's charitable fund.

Alex

I donated to their fund and I just got a thank you email.

But isn't this what their taking 8 years to get married was partly about? PW said in their engagement interview that he wanted to give her a loooong time to see what she'd be getting into if she joined his family (and back out if she wanted to or felt she couldn't handle it). Didn't they also imply in that interview that they've pretty much been engaged since they got back together in 2007, so if that's the case, she's already had 4 years to think about life in "The Firm."

I know things are different once you are actually married but really, they've been together for almost a decade so it's not like Charles and Diana where they had really only been in each others company a dozen or so times before getting married. If it was a situation like that then (again, IMO) I could see wanting to give her lots of time to learn the ropes but DoCa is supposed to be such a smart, level-headed, hardworking woman so I just can't see why she needs another several years of playing housewife, tucked away in Wales.

Sans the official certificate, they've already been living as a married couple for several (6-7?) years so it's just puzzling and kind of shocking to me that she/they want to take MORE time for her to be a housewife. I know that, obviously, she wants to live more in PW's shadow than what happened with Diana but if I were her, I'd be out there right away showing - as QE said in that radio address - that I'm ready to devote the rest of my life to serving the British people (or whatever she said - the rest of her life in service, etc) since she will one day be queen consort. I know she is not in the same position as QE but, I dunno, it just seems like DoCa is taking the extreme opposite position.

If PW is really being deployed, I'm curious what she is literally going to do ALL DAY LONG. She won't be preparing dinner for Wills since he is gone...seriously, what will she do? I know she has to get ready for Canada, but seriously, can't she multi-task?! I think it will look terrible for her if she just stays home for those several (10?) weeks. I don't know if it's the kind of thing that would be done, but I'd like to tag along with QE on a couple of events. Just walking quietly behind, still just watching and learning, but being out there in the public eye to build up a bit of a reputation for going all in. Or at the very least, being willing to go all in.

I don't think it's surprising at all, but, this is kind of the problem for me...they are not "normal." And I kind of feel that if you're going to accept all the pomp and privilege (money, land, power, jewels, protection, houses, etc etc) that come with that family then a) you're not going to have a "normal" life anyway (if that is what you want, then you should abdicate your place in line and go get a job like the rest of us "normal" folks) and b) you should use your position - the one she has right now, as the wife of the heir to the heir - to start helping people.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but given the accommodations, servants, personal assistants, private planes, lead time, etc that the royals have, I just can't accept "grueling" to describe any part of their lives...I know being "on" all the time and going on walk-abouts is stressful until you get the hang of it, but, honestly, they do that for what, a few hours and then get to retreat to a palace? My heart can't really bleed for them that their lives are so hard...

Also, didn't Charles and Diana go on a long trip right after their marriage? Or was that the one to Australia after PW was born? I guess it was because they took PW, but I know they did some official visit/work during their honeymoon, right?

I'm really not trying to rag on her because I like both her and PW and am kind of obsessed with the whole royal family/anything royal in general, I guess I am just trying to express what huge disappointment I'll feel if she "disappears" for several years to be a housewife. And, I also think that if they are trying to revamp the monarchy into something more modern, this will not fly with the majority of the public.

Agree 100%!!!

No, they are not "normal" and cant just ask for it when it suits.
And yes, they have experienced "normality" for a long time, when Kate was a private person, what she is no longer now.
As part of the BRF and being married to the 2nd in line Kate should face what comes with the position what is service to the country.
If William choses to serve by doing his army job now thats fine but doing some grocery shopping and dishwashing for the time being is not good enough in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom