Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She has already been languishing in Wales...

Hey. Back off Wales, it's lovely :p

That said I agree with Zonk. we can't say for sure what she has or has not done as a private citizen. Maybe she has been working hard, privately, maybe she's been lazing about exactly as some media like to say & she's been enjoying her free time, no-one can say absolutely. I'm personally willing to give her a chance & see what she does when she actually is a member of the Royal Fmaily not before & certainly not when she was "just" a potential wife for William (ok she seemed very likely but never absolutely certain til the engagement is done & dusted & the marriage done).

I say wait til after the wedding & then judge her on what she does or does not do as by that time she'll have to actually account for what she does & the tax-paying public would have a right to know what she does. Everything previous to that time I'm perfectly fine with regardless of what she did or did not do, I don't know what happened & I never will know, plus really it doesn't change anything anyway so what does it matter. I give her some credit for having lasted so long with all that scrutiny on her & not snapping at the press at all (or anyone around her).

Kate was apparently very successful when in school so therefore she "worked" at something.

In the short time I have been on this forum it has seemed to me that there are those who, no matter what, are going to criticize KM. I won't venture to say just why that is, however, at this point I would not be at all surprised if the woman is not bad mouthed for taking the time for a honeymoon. :)

I know, I know...

However, if she has "done" anything you'd think the press would not have printed it? I am not against Kate in any way. I just have a feeling that scooting her into being royal won't be an easy task.

Criticism or frank comment does not mean I don't like her. Merely observing.

I say wait til after the wedding & then judge her on what she does or does not do as by that time she'll have to actually account for what she does & the tax-paying public would have a right to know what she does. Everything previous to that time I'm perfectly fine with regardless of what she did or did not do, I don't know what happened & I never will know, plus really it doesn't change anything anyway so what does it matter. I give her some credit for having lasted so long with all that scrutiny on her & not snapping at the press at all (or anyone around her).

Why will the taxpayers have a right to know what she does? Until she is Queen Consort she won't be getting any taxpayers money. She will be supported by William and Charles until then. Charles currently is supported by the income of the Duchy of Cornwall estate and also uses that income to support Camilla and his sons. None of them get an income from the taxpayers and the only taxpayer money Charles or anyone in his family gets is when they undertake official duties for the government - just like a minister of the government or other government official - they get reimbursed for the expenses incurred in carrying out those duties.

I know people will say she is getting taxpayer funded security but that is because she is seen as a high profile person and a target but the cost is not really a cost per se as the officers would be employed anyway to protect high profile people.

My observation is that the press doesn't do much of anything unless they can criticize so, in a way, that says to me that they haven't found much to cry about in relation to Kate except some of what is so obviously conjured up to try and stir negativity for the couple AND the BRF. It appears that the majority of the public in the UK, if they are paying attention at all are reasonably interested in the royal wedding so I couldn't say just how "difficult" it will be for Kate to become a part of the royal family. There are always people who complain about the royals and in that sense Kate, it seems has already become part of them since she seems to have become a target along with the rest of them. In my speculating I am just not ready to start being concerned about how acceptable she will be. Frankly, I suspect there well could have been no one who would have been an acceptable bride for Prince William for any number of reasons.

Others have suggested that she might like to get involved in charities that help returning soldiers from the Afghanistan (and other conflicts).

She could also get involved with any number of things in Wales in particular - local issues even.

She might even be able to volunteer to help local children with reading or such like - to be seen to be doing something without having to travel too far from home.

These are great suggestions. Just because William is in the military doesn't mean she can't represent charities. Unless she is only going to do things when he is around. After all she is not the one in the military.

I also agree with several posters who said that a lot of everyday military spouses have jobs. Kate will probably find it easier to represent charities than the average working person due to the personal drivers and other royal staff that she will have access to.

You also made some good points about Camilla. Her late entrance into the role could effect how she was/is perceived. However like some on this forum I can't shake the perception that Kate isn't going to be considered a hard-working member of the family. I suppose I feel that way because of the questions I have about her past as well as the lack of solid information we have on her future. I hope however I am wrong. It is a pity we still don't have much information in that arena.

I also agree with several posters who said that a lot of everyday military spouses have jobs. Kate will probably find it easier to represent charities than the average working person due to the personal drivers and other royal staff that she will have access to.

With them not having staff at their home this actually suggests that she won't be doing much while living in Wales as the drivers etc will need to be accomodated either at their home or nearby and to uproot that sort of staff is costly, particularly if only for a short time and if the staff have families etc.

Whatever duties or roles she does as a new, emphasis on new, member of the firm I have a strong feeling that The Queen will be very personally involved, emphasis on very...keeping in mind that William and Catherine are now seen as the ones to carry on the legacy of the royal family.

If history is anything to go by, I doubt it. All the prior royal brides recieved very little introduction/instruction from the Queen in life as a royal. But perhaps she has learned from her mistakes of the past. Certainly Charles famously described his mother to Dimbleby as uninvolved.

If history is anything to go by, I doubt it. All the prior royal brides recieved very little introduction/instruction from the Queen in life as a royal. But perhaps she has learned from her mistakes of the past. Certainly Charles famously described his mother to Dimbleby as uninvolved.

Who are "all the prior royal brides"? Diana and Sarah?

As Kate said when the two announced their engagement, I think it's William who will be guiding her for the most part and help her find the niche in which she will best fit in patronages.

Diana, Sarah and Sophie.

Ah, I forgot Sophie. Probably because she is too far away from the throne, Diana and Sarah were not.
But I do think there are big differences there - they married the sons of the Queen, Catherine is marrying a grandson of the Queen. Also life and generation come into play.

Last edited:

With the big difference that Catherine has her (future) husband to turn to and I imagine that the Queen is not the only suitable person to give advice.
I do think that they are better prepared to help than how they used to be.

As Kate said when the two announced their engagement, I think it's William who will be guiding her for the most part and help her find the niche in which she will best fit in patronages.

Exactly, I think so too. Catherine seems to have a big support pole in William (and vice versa, beneficial for him as well) and I think she is very lucky to have that. I doubt that the Queen will be the main person for Catherine to rely on concerning advice, "training" and such.

Last edited:
A grandson who will one day be king...not Sarah's former husband...not Sophie's husband...

A grandson who will one day be king...not Sarah's former husband...not Sophie's husband...

The Queen gave no guidance to Diana when she married the heir to the throne. Why should it be any different now?
William and I believe Camilla and Sophie will give guidance to Kate.

Ah, I forgot Sophie. I do think there is a big difference there. They married a son of the Queen, Catherine is marrying a grandson.

A grandson who will one day be king...a bit more important than a duke or an earl, would you agree?

The Queen gave no guidance to Diana when she married the heir to the throne. Why should it be any different now?

Because people can learn from their mistakes and may be wanting to do it better next time?

William and I believe Camilla and Sophie will give guidance to Kate.

On that I agree with you.

Because people can learn from their mistakes and may be wanting to do it better next time?

If Sophie recieved no guidance, I don't see why Kate would recieve any.

What does that have to do with what I said?

You suggest that The Queen will not become personally involved with the progression of Catherine as a royal spouse due to generation divide as well as custom...I believe

I am suggesting that The Queen will become personally involved despite the generational divide and despite custom due to the important roles William and Catherine will have in the future

If Sophie recieved no guidance, I don't see why Kate would recieve any.

Because Sophie is not expected to someday be the Queen Consort...

Diana was expected to be the future Queen, she never recieved any training.

That is why I said what I said. She never gave Diana any advice or whatsoever, so because she didn't do it with Diana it is certain she won't do it with Catherine either?
Aka history will repeat itself?

You suggest that The Queen will not become personally involved with the progression of Catherine as a royal spouse due to generation divide as well as custom...I believe

I am suggesting that The Queen will become personally involved despite the generational divide and despite custom due to the important roles William and Catherine will have in the future

I did not suggest, or did not mean to suggest, that the Queen will not become personally involved with Catherine's royal progression.
I just meant to suggest that, as how I see it, the Queen will not be her primary source for advice and such, not like how she should have been for Diana and Sarah. Catherine will have her husband for that.

And Diana and Sarah, as wives of Charles and Andrew, were much left on their own because their husbands had their own careers (Sarah/Andrew) or didn't really know how to deal with things (Diana/Charles).

In that respect I think Catherine will not be left on her own in the same way, I think William will be much more supportive and he appears to already being so.

That is why I said what I said. She never gave Diana any advice or whatsoever, so because she didn't do it with Diana it is certain she won't do it with Catherine either?

I don't see any reason why it would change?

I don't see any reason why it would change?

All I can say (again) is that people can learn from their mistakes and want to do it better next time.
Not saying it is so in this case, but it could be.

The only person able to answer this question is the Queen herself and she won't ever do that.

What happens in that field concerning Catherine and the Queen remains to be seen, imo.

And that is why I said what I said also...she, The Queen, will do everything she can to have history not repeat itself...hence the personal involvement with Catherine's progression

Consider it wisdom in her old age, the 80's (Catherine) vs. the 50's (Diana):D

Are you saying that because the Queen didn't get involved with Diana's progression into being a Princess, that resulted in the divorce and the tragedies that went with it. Because that's absurd.
The Queen didn't get involved with Sarah, Diana or Sophie no matter who they were married to and you can't blame two failed marriages on the Queen.

Okay...its time to move on.

Are you saying that because the Queen didn't get involved with Diana's progression into being a Princess, that resulted in the divorce and the tragedies that went with it. Because that's absurd.
The Queen didn't get involved with Sarah, Diana or Sophie no matter who they were married to and you can't blame two failed marriages on the Queen.

:previous:
No I'm not...moving on

Catherine's role for the next year or so should be primarily participation in as many royal events as possible...Trooping the Colour, garden parties, Royal Ascot, etc.

Also some appearances at small venues on behalf of the Queen:whistling: say three or four a month...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom