Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1000 is not unreasonable for a fit healthy woman - it is 3 a day - allowing for about a month of holidays a year.

That is absolutely unreasonable and unattainable. I don't know how your calcuations are working, but obviously something is off. There are 365 days in a year. In order to meet your figure of 1000 - 1500 a year for Kate she wouldn't be able to take one month off, much less one DAY. Not to mention the engagements are not just popping in for a few minutes. They may consist of meet & greets, speeches, tours, activities, performances, etc.. They take considerable coordination from all involved, and even so the timing doesn't always go according to plan. It's completely unrealistic.

IF Charles does cut back on Royal household, then the consequence is that patronages will also be cut drastically back and no new ones added.

Last edited:
1000 is not unreasonable for a fit healthy woman - it is 3 a day - allowing for about a month of holidays a year.

1000 duties a year, doing 3 a day, means Kate would be "working" 333.3 days/year, thus at a minimum Kate would get 31.7 days off/year. That's 2 days/month and less than a week's vacation. Plus, she'll be a mother, so she'd have very little time with her children, even though they'd likely have a nanny.

I'm not sure anyone would want to work that schedule.

William and Catherine's first wedding anniversary occurs during the Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics. With that in mind she should postpone becoming patron to any charity until both events have concluded. Catherine should immediately begin to develop a familiarity with royal ceremonies and events that occur during the year. As she has admitted, she does not know "the ropes" of being a royal, by that one can assume royal etiquette. Catherine also expressed her dedication to become familiar with royal etiquette right away; much practice can be gained from a consistent appearance at royal events, as many as possible. She will actually be doing her job in a visible manner and yet under way more controlled circumstances than with charities.

Last edited:
1000 duties a year, doing 3 a day, means Kate would be "working" 333.3 days/year, thus at a minimum Kate would get 31.7 days off/year. That's 2 days/month and less than a week's vacation. Plus, she'll be a mother, so she'd have very little time with her children, even though they'd likely have a nanny.

I'm not sure anyone would want to work that schedule.

Exactly! It's completely unreasonable.

Last edited:
The whole discussion about whatever Catherine chose to do and not to do is silly, in my opinion. It is something the media introduced to create conflict and tension, to make whatever they write about her seem like less of a puff piece. I have yet to meet or correspond personally with anyone who deeply and seriously *cared* about what Catherine did after her university graduation, once they thought about it.

In many ways, she's representative of her current generation in many parts of the world. How many young people know exactly what they want or what they want to do with the rest of their lives when they graduate from college? Many have an initial idea, put to them by parents or mentors, but it winds up not working out for them; they go on to try other things and do something else. *Most adults have more than one career in their working lives any more.( Catherine tried a number of different things as work after graduation - she didn't just immediately dive into the family business as the first bolthole she came across. Who's to say, if William weren't in the picture, that she would have done things one bit differently?

As for holding out waiting for William: seriously, folks, it winds up that our primary relationship is the single biggest long-term indicator of our health and well-being. If they started out as slow as it seems, and grew in love, trust, and respect...they're doing far, far better than many other couples in their mid-20s who marry just for looks. And how much more faux controversy would be stimulated if Catherine was a highly-driven career person with a gripping professional career she'd have to "give up" to be a royal? If she were dating another British blue-blood whose father was CEO of a bank or something like that, I don't think folks would find a thing "wrong" with her.

I'm sure Catherine Middleton is just as human as the next person and has her share of foibles like the rest of us. She is, however, delightfully free of scandal - she didn't leave school and spend all her time drugging up - and I, for one, would like to see the Brits appreciate the good royals they have more. I admire Prince William a lot for taking the route he has; as one very astute writer once pointed out, he had the example of his mom trying to play the field during her lifetime, and probably some discussion - who can say how frank or how convoluted - on how his father's choices worked out backfiring on him in many ways. Lord Mountbatten gave Charles bad advice: contrary to the belief that one "owes it to oneself" to date around as much as possible, it really ends up forming bad habits, especially among the entitled.

Bera, such an excellent post. I never really understood the press over in the UK. If Catherine was a working lawyer or open heart surgeon then the headlines would read: "Kate giving up her careeer for a man....setting back working women everywhere." She'll never win. lol

I've said this in another post (as I dated my husband for 9 years before marriage as well) but the "about time's" and "finally's" are rather annyoing and quite trite. William did kinda see first hand how HORRIBLE a mismatched marriage can be. Can you blame the poor guy for having a bit of cold feet and wanting to make completely sure their differences didn't out weigh their compatibility? His choice was obvious. As he said it worked out for the better.

The whole "waity" thing is ridiculous. You have a boyfriend you love and care for, and yet since the press and public have decided he hasn't met the proposing deadline of 3-4 years time your branded a stupid nickname and are now suppose to abandon the relationship altogether, and if not your a fame hungry clinger on? Spare me! This is real life not a disney fairytale. Sometimes I wonder if the people writing these stories have ever been in a seriously true relationship at all. I mean we all actually know it's not so cut and dry and simple right? They take work. True Story, lol

While I do think it is important for Kate to do her share of royal duties, IMO her most important job will be raising their children, and I personally hope that she is a very hands on Mother, and not one to let the nannies do all the work. Being a mom is the most important job she will ever have, and there are no "do overs" as a parent. Your time is the most important gift you can give a child.

While I do think it is important for Kate to do her share of royal duties, IMO her most important job will be raising their children, and I personally hope that she is a very hands on Mother, and not one to let the nannies do all the work. Being a mom is the most important job she will ever have, and there are no "do overs" as a parent. Your time is the most important gift you can give a child.
After all,it seems to me that she and William won't have a child or two,but three or even four(though four is doubtful)

Bera, such an excellent post. I never really understood the press over in the UK...
Indeed, I agree with both you & Bera. It really is/was a no-win situation with Kate. Firstly we really have no actual idea what she did or did not do, just what appeared in the press, maybe she did do a lot of work in ehr various jobs & eventually with her parents, maybe she didn't, but we'd never know unless we were actually there with her. If she had embarked on a "proper" career as a lawyer, doctor, teacher, something in retail etc, she'd have either got attacked for being seen to give it up as & when her boyfriend proposed thus setting off a whole feminist argument. Or she'd have been liable to be set up by the media rather like Sophie was when she had her job, the media would have done their upmost to find some way of saying Kate was using her Royal boyfriend as a means to boost her career, fame, sales for wherever she worked etc. I highly doubt the media would ever have just "let her" go quietly off to work everyday & not try something to uindermine her, the relationship with William or create a story that brought controversy/embarrassment to the RF.

And likewise I always found it rather harsh how everyone wanted them to jump into marriage at the earliest opportunity, my brother & his girlfriend have dated since Uni, lived together since then which is now over 10 years & are perfectly happy with no marriage. Yes William's situation is different as he needs to be married at some point in order to have legitmate heirs & what have you but I really never saw any big deal in them not being engaged or having dated for so long, it was sensible if you ask me!

I think the media just likes to create controversy & a talking point any way they can, they can't just report things as they are or appear to be without giving it a negative or dramatic twist.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this day and age any more than 2 children is environmentally bad. The world is overpopulated as it is.

That being said Kate will have nannies to do the hard work and the children will be at boarding school from about 8 years of age so her role in raising them on a day to day basis is rather limited (as it was with William's parents and Charles' as well).

I am sure that they will spend as much time with them as they can and be good parents but they part of the royal family and her new role is one where she will be expected to be a working Mum within weeks of the child's birth and therefore nannies will be essential.

Last edited:
Bera, such an excellent post. I never really understood the press over in the UK...
She got the nickname because all she seemed to do was wait. The length of the relationship wasn't necessarily the troubling part it was that she was perceived to have done little else. She worked for Jigsaw, a company owned by a family friend, who admitted that her schedule had to be altered to fit her boyfriend's schedule. I don't know many people who have that option, then again I might not know the right people.:whistling:

Then she started working for her family's business. They probably gave her special treatment because she was dating William.

I don't think she is the only one to blame. What does it say about William if he dictated her schedule? I also think that he proposed to her in the end so he must have found her behavior acceptable.

She knew that when she started dating William she was going to be judged on how she lived her life. Is that right? Well as the UK taxpayers might pay for her (pre-engagement) I do think it is their right to know who they pay for.

As they did not have much information on her they judged her on what they thought about her and her actions.

As much as people don't like the nickname I think it is important to understand how she got it as that plays in to how she will be judged in her upcoming role.

...Well as the UK taxpayers might pay for her (pre-engagement) I do think it is their right to know who they pay for...
Sorry .... I'm just NOT getting this. As an American I find the emphasis on the UK taxpayers a bit hilarious. As far as we know, she has been either self supporting OR supported by her parents (who are wealthy) either of which has nothing to do with the UK taxpayers. It might not be something that Brits "like" but they are NOT paying for it. This seemingly constant emphasis on taxpayer money seems mightily overblown to me. :ermm:

You are right. They pay gobs of money, which the government report as pennies for the privilage, they focus on this. The whole BRF live far above their subjects and the money either came from a time when they had total tax free money or some strange formula that was figured to keep the populace at bay. Either way it costs them all for the "pomp and circumstance".

Sorry .... I'm just NOT getting this. As an American I find the emphasis on the UK taxpayers a bit hilarious. As far as we know, she has been either self supporting OR supported by her parents (who are wealthy) either of which has nothing to do with the UK taxpayers. It might not be something that Brits "like" but they are NOT paying for it. This seemingly constant emphasis on taxpayer money seem mightily overblown to me. :ermm:

I think we can all agree that yes her parents supported her. I don't think she could have afforded all of things she had without them. However, those ideas about how she got along pre-engagement goes to her work-ethic and some say since of character.

How would you advise that she be judged? I am curious. Do you think her work ethic should be ignored? Do you think she should have her "slate wiped clean?"

The UK taxpayers will one day pay for her so they have an opinion on her and the work that she does. Its not like the public doesn't think about the people the royals are with, especially the higher ranked ones. A member of the family could marry without public support but would that be wise? I would not think so. By the way, I am not advocating marrying just for the public.

A monarchy, or any form of government, would be hard-pressed to survive without public support.

Trust me, as a British tax payer, there are far worse things my money is being spent on by the government than on any member of the Royal Family. I'd far rather fund the RF, even the so-called laziest members, than many of the things I'm also forced to fund through my government's policies/plans.

The UK taxpayers will one day pay for her so they have an opinion on her and the work that she does. Its not like the public doesn't think about the people the royals are with, especially the higher ranked ones. A member of the family could marry without public support but would that be wise? I would not think so. By the way, I am not advocating marrying just for the public.

I am going to disagree here. I think the Royals - or someone - needs to start drawing a firm line between private and public lives, for the mental and emotional health of everyone, especially the children to come. I don't think 'the public' has this right of looking over the shoulder of choices like this. After all, William's parents entered an arranged marriage - all the boxes were checked - the public 'approved' - in the end, did it work? Did public approval get it right? I think in hindsight we know it was disastrous that the marriage was not a private arrangement with all that that implies.

In another era, William would likely have been married to Princess Madelaine of Sweden, or some similar Royal daughter. That was the era of approval and acceptability. That overarching constraint was present with the marriage of the Queen. It should have been dropped with Charles IMO.

The worst thing will be to see Catherine run-down.

I like what the Queen had - a seriously private life in the first years of her marriage, even after the birth of her son. Is it possible that such can be the case now? Or will the profit motive drive this couple as it has others?

Bottom line to me is that if people cannot have normal, healthy lives within the monarchy then it needs to change for their sakes. I think Charles will be making that change - its a hunch I have based on an interview I saw of him, something he said, or didn't say directly. For sure this tabloid atmosphere must be lethal to live within.

The royals had a 'private' life until the late 1960s when a documentary about the family was made. It was only shown a couple of times in 1969 and the Queen had it pulled as she realised that it wasn't the right thing to do - they had let the 'daylight in on the magic' which earlier advisers had told them not to do. Having shown the private lives the public wanted more but they were able to pull it back until Diana came along and convinced Charles to go along with showing the world their lives when the boys were young. That was followed by the tell all stories from within the family of the 1990s. It is too late now to separate public from private. The public have come to believe they have a right to know about the private lives as well and it is too late to pull back - the technology and demand simply won't allow it.

As much as people don't like the nickname I think it is important to understand how she got it

It was coined by third-rate journalists whose job is to fill space.

Unfortunately that space is not only found in the rags that employ them, but also in the heads of many of their readers.

Someone mentioned that if Catherine had a career she would have to be giving it up in order to be Royal - I think that's what they said - it was a bit back.

Anyway, that reminded me - if I may tell a story ;) - of a Presidential Candidate here in the US many years back whose wife was never on the campaign trail with him and only under considerable pressure agreed to be present in interviews with him. Reason: she was a practicing physician, and a very busy one as it turns out. When they did an interview one could tell she was a very decent and nice person - but totally not interested in this Public Relations stuff. :cool:

Its interesting that we continue to expect the woman to totally subsume to the man's position - and then fault her if she doesn't show initiative and uniqueness.

Not in a million years would I want to be a modern Royal of the British kind. I prefer all the tiltles and wealth and to circulate with one's own kind in absolute and total luxury - the masses be darned! :D :lol:

Last edited:
Hey! I'm Gentry! Cool! :) Just thought I'd bring it to the general attention. :p

I'd heard about this - the late 60's documentary. I think I watched it, in fact, at the time. I've even lately been watching the documentaries on Charles and Diana that are now up on YouTube. Interesting stuff. Compelling.

So what does William do? He goes on as he was - and I think the best would be for Catherine to be by his side for the first year - though, Catherine has already been doing solo gigs for the Royal Family, correct? She's really been through almost a 'training' - to test her mettle perhaps, but also to let her know what life will be like. She's probably the most well-informed future bride of a Royal prince in a very, very long time.

I am guessing that the RF - and in particular Charles - is trying to get this as right as he can for his son. Charles has to be coaching William and Catherine must be being 'held'. I think this is going to be very healthy from the RF's position - its just the press that becomes the wild card.

The royals had a 'private' life until the late 1960s when a documentary about the family was made. It was only shown a couple of times in 1969 and the Queen had it pulled as she realised that it wasn't the right thing to do - they had let the 'daylight in on the magic' which earlier advisers had told them not to do. Having shown the private lives the public wanted more but they were able to pull it back until Diana came along and convinced Charles to go along with showing the world their lives when the boys were young. That was followed by the tell all stories from within the family of the 1990s. It is too late now to separate public from private. The public have come to believe they have a right to know about the private lives as well and it is too late to pull back - the technology and demand simply won't allow it.

I would love to see Princess Catherine given official duties.

I would love to see Princess Catherine given official duties.

HRH Princess William of Wales will have official duties at some stage after the wedding. The question will be what, how many and how interesting they are for the public. There will also be questions asked if she isn't doing them reasonably early in the marriage as the British public and press, I don't think, are going to be prepared to let her sit in Wales and wait until William leaves the RAF before carrying out a significant number of duties.

Last edited:
HRH Princess William of Wales will have official duties at some stage after the wedding. The question will be what, how many and how interesting they are for the public. There will also be questions asked if she isn't doing them reasonably early in the marriage as the British public and press, I don't think, are going to be prepared to let her sit in Wales and wait until William leaves the RAF before carrying out a significant number of duties.

Oh come on, in the beginning all Royal duties will mean that she is a kind of puppet. It will take time for her to get to know the possibilities she has to bring herself into the process of charities. It was the same with Diana. She came, smiled, said some words and left. Nothing difficult with that. It is even known that Diana wasn't much interested in reading her briefings before she met the people so different from eg Princess Anne, who actually asks, even interrogates people of the charities, Diana just sailed through her first Royal duties. And was such a success because people were charmed by her. Catherine has the same charming personality, people who know her claim, so she will be picture perfect in her first Royal duties, I bet.

It will be interesting in the years to come to see how this young woman develops. If she will really work with charities or cultural institutions or if she simply will remain a private person being presented from time to time as a Right Royal Figurehead for others who do the actual job.

With Diana, her real work only started when she gave up her enormous amount of honorary patronages and started to really work for the four organizations who interested her most. Before she had mostly done "ribbon cutting" - certanly glamourous and beautiful to look at, but the work was done by others. Let's see what kind of Royal Catherine is. Look at Maxima, Mary etc... they all have projects and charities they really work for. They are not just turning up somewhere and smile. But you need time to fnd out where and what you can do to really make a difference.

I think we can all agree that yes her parents supported her. I don't think she could have afforded all of things she had without them. However, those ideas about how she got along pre-engagement goes to her work-ethic and some say since of character.

How would you advise that she be judged? I am curious. Do you think her work ethic should be ignored? Do you think she should have her "slate wiped clean?"

A monarchy, or any form of government, would be hard-pressed to survive without public support.

I don't see that her character has anything to do with her job situation. I supervise a staff of 18 employees, most of which are in the 20-30 year old range. I can tell you from experience that the 20-30 year old are more focused on their personal lives than a career. They are in no way settled or mature and most have held multiple jobs since leaving University or College. In the 30-40 age range, you find people are more settled, more mature and have a better work ethic. The bottom line is that it has less to do with character and more to do with maturity and being more settle in their lives.

I think the expectations and criticism that has been leveled at Kate has been completely unfair until now. Once Kate marries William and finds her footing within the Royal Family, I think she will start to come into her own. Until then I think she deserves the benefit of the doubt and a bit of perspective.

Some people like Kate and some don't. I don't think that a "charming" personality is enough to get by. We also have to consider that the majority of comments made on this board are by royalists. Therefore they will probably be more favorable to her and the family. Her nickname wasn't just given to her by journalists. If you read the comments posted after the articles some people thought she deserved the moniker.

While some don't consider her job requirements part of her character some will. As for her maturity level...If you are going to get married to anyone, let alone a member of the royal family, I hope you are mature before you take that step. It isn't like marrying into a normal family. She is marrying into a business that concerns the nation, even if they don't have any real power.

I personally care very little about her hair or her fashion sense, which is most of what the media is talking about. For her sake I hope she learns how to do her job, because sitting around at the RAF base isn't going to get her very far.

As for the royals private lives...If they cared so much about them then why do they have public weddings and other press oppurtunities? A public wedding isn't a requirement for becoming a member of the family. It is a PR decision made by the royals to sell their agenda of being the most capable group of people to represent their country. You can not use the media to promote your charities and then say you can't cover x, y, and z. Once you let the press in you can't let them out again.

Last edited:
Some people like Kate and some don't. I don't think that a "charming" personality is enough to get by. We also have to consider that the majority of comments made on this board are by royalists. Therefore they will probably be more favorable to her and the family. Her nickname wasn't just given to her by journalists. If you read the comments posted after the articles some people thought she deserved the moniker.

While some don't consider her job requirements part of her character some will. As for her maturity level...If you are going to get married to anyone, let alone a member of the royal family, I hope you are mature before you take that step. It isn't like marrying into a normal family. She is marrying into a business that concerns the nation, even if they don't have any real power.

I personally care very little about her hair or her fashion sense, which is most of what the media is talking about. For her sake I hope she learns how to do her job, because sitting around at the RAF base isn't going to get her very far.

As for the royals private lives...If they cared so much about them then why do they have public weddings and other press oppurtunities? A public wedding isn't a requirement for becoming a member of the family. It is a PR decision made by the royals to sell their agenda of being the most capable group of people to represent their country. You can not use the media to promote your charities and then say you can't cover x, y, and z. Once you let the press in you can't let them out again.

Personally I find the criticism a bit irrational and unfair considering when they met and the media attention she has had focused on her since she was at University. Other commoners that have married into Royal families did not meet their Royal spouse in University at a young age. They were already well into their 20's and 30's and working on building their careers or working in established careers, which they had to give up. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark had several jobs prior to meeting her future husband, as well as Princess Marie. Sophie was in her 30's when she met Prince Edward.

Kate's situation is very different from other Royal brides in that the early intense media focus on her before she even graduated would have made it impossible for her to work at a regular job without being vulnerable to the media prying into her professional life. It would be very easy to plant someone at the same company to spy on her and/or offer a substantial bribe to a co-worker for inside information. That would place her employer in an uncomfortable position. Few would want to risk that. Kate working for her family business certainly was the best option for her since it allowed flexibility, privacy and income away from the prying media.

As I have also already pointed out, many young people these days do jump from job to job for various reasons after graduating. Few settle into one position and stay with it directly after University or college. Those that do have specialized careers such as teaching, medical or legal professions. Kate has a Art History degree which is really non-specific in the professional world. Those with non-specific degrees means that most young people make non-specific career choices until they find their niche.

The difference between Kate and any other young person in their 20's is that everything she has done since graduating has been the focus of media and public scrutiny. She has had to step very carefully in her personal and professional life. I am sure William has been very supportive and has warned her away from choices that would have put her in a vulnerable position.

I think some perspective should be considered when criticizing Kate over her career in the relatively short time she has been out of school. She will find her footing within the RF and I have no doubt she will rise to every occasion if given the chance.

I personally care very little about her hair or her fashion sense, which is most of what the media is talking about.

I'm totally into it. :popcorn: Its the only reason I watch.

Last edited:
I personally care very little about her hair or her fashion sense, which is most of what the media is talking about.

Being an American who neither lives in a monarchy nor is part of a Commonwealth, the only interest I have in royals from around the world are on a purely superficial level -- what are they wearing, look at that pretty tiara/dress, isn't he handsome, oh their kids are adorable -- that sort of thing. If I lived in the UK, maybe my opinion would be different as Catherine would be representing my country, both there and abroad.

Personally I find the criticism a bit irrational and unfair considering when they met and the media attention she has had focused on her since she was at University. Other commoners that have married into Royal families did not meet their Royal spouse in University at a young age. They were already well into their 20's and 30's and working on building their careers or working in established careers, which they had to give up. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark had several jobs prior to meeting her future husband, as well as Princess Marie. Sophie was in her 30's when she met Prince Edward.

Kate's situation is very different from other Royal brides in that the early intense media focus on her before she even graduated would have made it impossible for her to work at a regular job without being vulnerable to the media prying into her professional life. It would be very easy to plant someone at the same company to spy on her and/or offer a substantial bribe to a co-worker for inside information. That would place her employer in an uncomfortable position. Few would want to risk that. Kate working for her family business certainly was the best option for her since it allowed flexibility, privacy and income away from the prying media.

As I have also already pointed out, many young people these days do jump from job to job for various reasons after graduating. Few settle into one position and stay with it directly after University or college. Those that do have specialized careers such as teaching, medical or legal professions. Kate has a Art History degree which is really non-specific in the professional world. Those with non-specific degrees means that most young people make non-specific career choices until they find their niche.

The difference between Kate and any other young person in their 20's is that everything she has done since graduating has been the focus of media and public scrutiny. She has had to step very carefully in her personal and professional life. I am sure William has been very supportive and has warned her away from choices that would have put her in a vulnerable position.

I think some perspective should be considered when criticizing Kate over her career in the relatively short time she has been out of school. She will find her footing within the RF and I have no doubt she will rise to every occasion if given the chance.

I agree that to compare her to Mary and the rest doesn't work that is why I stick to just her.

As for her "career choices" sorry but being in your 20s doesn't excuse the lack of employment. As for the planting of the media I don't think they considered that an issue. After all while the media followed her; William and her stoked it to a degree, by inviting her to certain events like his garter ceremony and his graduations from the military. This created an increase in attention towards her they could have avoided by not having her there. Previous royal girlfriend never went to such events.

Her former employer at Jigsaw said that she quit because she had a "schedule she couldn't dictate." A clear reference to her relationship with William. She had options to get a job but they were not flexible with her relationship. No big surprise there for any working person. We schedule are private lives around our working lives, not the other way around. I agree her degree is non-specific. Therefore I criticize her lack of choices in general. I feel like her main goal in life was to make her relationship work and I wish she would just admit it. I would certainly respect her more for her honesty.

Also I criticize William as well. He was the one who dictated the schedule so what does that say about him? He also preferred a person who gave her "whole" life to him. It almost seems a little codependent. Then again they like it so...

Let's try to focus on what duties and roles Catherine will have AFTER the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom