The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Majesty

I remember Charles once said that Diana was the most beautiful Royal Colonel he had ever seen. I'm sure Catherine will also make a very beautiful royal colonel. I'm think perhaps this year or the next her regimental appointments will be announced.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Its leaks for the Welsh Guards and Shamrocks for the Irish Guards.
LOL, thanks for correcting me on that.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

After this pictures Kate should realize that the Middelton years are over and she is now Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge without NO privacy anymore.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
...Kate as the wife should NEVER be expected to do more royal duties than her royal spouse. The fact that last year she outperformed William should be enough to quiet the anti-Kate faction but the silly comparison continues.
Exactly. William and Harry have never done more than 90 engagements a year, so it seems a bit silly to expect Kate to immediately take on 300 engagements. Now if William starts doing full-time royal duties and Kate doesn't, then I'll understand the complaints. As of now, they are part-time working royals and I don't expect them to have the numbers that the Queen, Prince Philip and their children do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Kate has done 24 - hardly close to full-time and really for a woman who doesn't have another job she really hasn't done much at all.
It's true that her numbers are low right now, but she does have a few engagements coming up next month and I imagine she'll do some engagements after her maternity leave ends. So I don't think her numbers will stay low. Plus, she did do more engagements than William or Harry in 2012 (in 2011 she did more than Harry but less than William).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
...when William and Catherine got married it was said that Catherine would be eased into taking on more duties.
Yep. I'm glad the BRF has learned from the past and is allowing the wives to be eased into their roles. For instance, Sophie didn't start off doing 300 engagements. She did between 120 -205 engagements a year (until last year). I imagine that helped her feel more comfortable and less overwhelmed with her role, which I think is really important for any new royals marrying into the BRF.

I think after the baby is born, Kate and William will start taking on a bigger role. I don't see them staying part-time working royals for much longer.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

......Kate as the wife should NEVER be expected to do more royal duties than her royal spouse. The fact that last year she outperformed William should be enough to quiet the anti-Kate faction but the silly comparison continues.
Sorry, I disagree. The reason William and Harry perform a reduced number of official duties is because they both have fulltime jobs in the military. Kate has no job and so there's no reason at all why she could not be doing more.

I appreciate we do not see what goes on behaind the scenes but we are now 20 weeks into the year and Kate has performed approximately 24 engagements (according to Iluvberties figures based on the CC) - about one a week. Nobody wants to see what happened to Diana repeated but it seems to have gone from one extreme to the other.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Majesty

I think everyone should calm down. The Duchess of Cambridge's official engagements will continue to pick up and we're still waiting for the announcement on if William will stay in the military or if he and Catherine will become fulltime royals.

Also, I hope everyone will take into account that William & Catherine will soon have an infant at home. They'll do their royal duties but also their family life is also a job.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Majesty

Actually we don't know if they are happy with the numbers done by Kate and William - if the reports are true that The Queen didn't like the fact that Kate didn't work before the engagement and that there is a push within the family for William to do more royal duties and leave the RAF then the evidence suggests that there is some disquiet within family.

The other thing is that the public are questioning the low work level - they want to see the royals and if they aren't out and about doing things then the questions will increase about their relevance and even about whether they deserve the perks that come their way. Some years away yet but if they don't change their tune and they really are no longer 'young' being over 30 - not middle aged yet but closer to that than really young when there were acceptable excuses - they never will. It is harder to break a habit once over 30 and for Kate who has never really worked it will be really hard to start doing 100s of appearances and the necessary preparation for those appearances.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...if the reports are true that The Queen didn't like the fact that Kate didn't work before the engagement and that there is a push within the family for William to do more royal duties and leave the RAF...
I take your point about bad habits and Catherine not working. BUT....

she has been doing something that no one else in her position has done before. She has been running a home, and no servants. Yes we have heard about cleaners but she has been making the home in Wales, doing her own shopping rather than have people come to her etc etc. it is very different to how it's been done in the past.

Then she takes on some royal duties as expected and she has done well. so well that we'd like her to do more but William is her priority so she doesn't do a lot more.

As they get established at KP and domestic staff are increased, she will not have to do housekeeping and will have the time for royal duties.

I've said this before but I think she loves doing the royal engagements and it is William that has issues. But she gets the flack.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
To be fair, the comparison between Sophie and Kate isn't really accurate. Sophie worked when she first became a Royal and still managed to do 100 odd engagements a year. She quit her job/was forced to give up in 2002 to support the Queen in her Jubilee year and was pregnant in 2003. Since then she has worked less because of Louise and James, but she still worked more than Catherine did.
I'm actually not comparing them, just stating that Sophie had a chance to grow into her role. She didn't take on 300 engagements right from the start. She was able to raise her children and hold off on doing full-time duties (if 300 is the number that people are using to define that) until last year. As for working less because of her kids, I don't have a problem with that. I'm glad she was able to take time off. Especially when you remember that Diana was doing 300 engagements a year when Harry and William were little.

You do bring up an interesting point about working and engagements. Sophie did 27 engagements her first year, 129 engagements in 2000 and 134 in 2001 (most of the engagements were overseas). If Sophie could manage those higher numbers with her job, then how come William and Harry get excused for their low numbers? Is it because Sophie could set her own hours since she owned the PR firm, while Harry and William don't have that ability?

Quote:
Actually we don't know if they are happy with the numbers done by Kate and William - if the reports are true that The Queen didn't like the fact that Kate didn't work before the engagement and that there is a push within the family for William to do more royal duties and leave the RAF then the evidence suggests that there is some disquiet within family
The only place I've seen that mentioned the Queen being unhappy with Kate's work pre-marriage, is in the DM. So I take that with a huge grain of salt. As for any unhappiness with their current schedule, there really is no way to know. It was announced during the engagement that they would take a few years off to settle into the marriage, so it's not like their part-time status came as a surprise to the Queen.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Majesty

Catherine did have a job before she became engaged to William. The tabloid reports is what Catherine addressed in the engagement interview. She made it known that she worked for her family business, Party Pieces.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
You do bring up an interesting point about working and engagements. Sophie did 27 engagements her first year, 129 engagements in 2000 and 134 in 2001 (most of the engagements were overseas). If Sophie could manage those higher numbers with her job, then how come William and Harry get excused for their low numbers? Is it because Sophie could set her own hours since she owned the PR firm, while Harry and William don't have that ability?
William and Harry actually have full time careers in the armed forces.....actually serving Queen & country. William and Harry have had to fit royal engagements around their military schedules. William and Catherine have been largely based in Wales since their marriage, which does decrease availability for duties for both of them.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM

You're right. I forgot about William and Harry being stationed outside of London. That would definitely decrease the amount of engagements they could do.

Oh and I haven't forgotten about their military careers. I was just curious about their numbers vs Sophie's.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Majesty

She is a royal wife - regardless of whom she is married to - she is the future Queen and so far she isn't living up to that position.

She isn't living in Wales at the moment as she has been seen almost daily and certainly weekly either in Bucklebury or London shopping - there are people who have kept a record of how little time she has spent in Wales this year and how often she and William are apart.

There was never any official announcement from BP that she wouldn't be working - but we do know that she would find the idea of working a hard one to comprehend as she has such a poor work ethic prior to her marriage.

She is married to the 2nd in line and when you go back to Sophie in 2000 she was married to the 7th in line and working full-time herself in her own business and managed to do more than Kate did.

We know that there are some people who think that Kate can do no wrong - I am not one of them - she hasn't yet done anything to earn my respect as all she has done in her life is - get a degree and get married - hardly something of which to be proud at the age of 31. I was never a fan of Diana but at least she worked before her marriage and then during her marriage - Kate has done neither.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I am not a person who believes anyone "can do no wrong", but I do believe there is a great deal of difference between the role and expectations of someone married to the monarchs son and heir and someone married to the monarchs grandson regardless of his place in the line of succession.
Frankly if living in Wales until earlier this year when the pregnancy was announced and undertaking limited engagements, instead of being thrown into the deep end of the pool, helps to make this marriage work I am all for it.
There is doesn't seem to be an immediate need for the Cambridges to take on more engagements as no organizations seem to be complaining that they have been missing out on royal involvement. Even with HM and Philip aging Charles/Camilla/Anne/Andrew/Edward/Sophie seem to have all the other important tasks covered.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Majesty

She wasn't in Wales when the pregnancy was announced last year and William was with friends - not with her at the time.

She hasn't been seen in Wales this year but has been spotted most weeks in Bucklebury and/or London and rarely seen with William - there are people who are questioning the state of their marriage given how much time they are apparently at opposite ends of the country and the fact that William, when spotted is often staying with friends elsewhere in the country to where she is.

Organisations don't complain that they don't get a royal patronage - they are happy to be able to put a royal on their letterhead/website as patron.

William is 2nd in line - and that is enough to say he should be doing more and so should she.

If Sophie - married to the 7th at the time of her entry into the royal family could do more, in her first year, and hold down a real full-time job, then it is clear that Kate isn't pulling her weight.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:00 AM
Courtier

Ok thanks for ur reply, Iluvbertie. BTW I understand your 'dissatisfaction' or rather frustration at Catherine not performing much engagements.
But history has shown that for a new bride, the thing that matters more is how much they get adjusted and adapted to the new lifestyle, not the least how many engagements they perform.
She has lots and lots and lots of years to improve on this. And I am sure she will definitely improve..And will make a great Princess of Wales..
Moreover W&K&H keeping a slightly lower profile is good for Queen's younger children, as their works gets highlighted. Once those three become full-time full-force, no one will care for these people..
Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Majesty

I hope she improves - she could hardly go backwards as she is starting from such a low base - but I am not holding my breath as I doubt that she will do more than absolutely necessary - she simply doesn't have the work ethic of a Diana or an Anne or a Sophie - hasn't needed to learn to work and having not worked in her 20s will find it increasingly hard to break her current routines in her 30s and 40s.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 AM
Courtier

To be fair I find the excuse "she;s stuck in Wales" a bit silly. For starters she spends hardly time here, William is only here when he has to be for work and Kate is here even less. Then there is the fact that there are plenty ofthings around here for herto work on if she wanted to, she could even be in Liverpool or Manchester in not thatmuch time or even on her way to angelsey. Personally I'd like tohave seen Kate and William do more on Wales and the north west, i think they've wasted an opportunity that they may come to regret in the future.

Its interesting to note that whilst doing many more engagements the Princ of Wales "worked" one day less than his sister. That shows just how hard it is to compare engagements to each other.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
She is a royal wife - regardless of whom she is married to - she is the future Queen and so far she isn't living up to that position.

She isn't living in Wales at the moment as she has been seen almost daily and certainly weekly either in Bucklebury or London shopping - there are people who have kept a record of how little time she has spent in Wales this year and how often she and William are apart.
While we do get sightings of Kate in London, it's definitely not a daily occurrence. Weeks have gone by without any sightings of her at all. And unless that person actually lives with them, the sightings in London don't tell how often she goes back and forth to Wales. I mean, it's not like she can't spend a few days in London and then spend a few days in Wales. In fact, in between the sightings in London, there have been sightings of her and William out and about in Wales or Bucklebury.

Quote:
She wasn't in Wales when the pregnancy was announced last year and William was with friends - not with her at the time.
According to all of the reports, William was with Kate at her parents house in Bucklebury when she took ill. He was the one that drove her to the hospital.

Quote:
She hasn't been seen in Wales this year but has been spotted most weeks in Bucklebury and/or London and rarely seen with William - there are people who are questioning the state of their marriage given how much time they are apparently at opposite ends of the country and the fact that William, when spotted is often staying with friends elsewhere in the country to where
she is.
Not true. She has been spotted in Wales quite a bit. In fact, she was in Anglesey a couple of weeks ago. She and William were spotted out to dinner and later that week she was grocery shopping. There's a number of other sightings of her and William hanging out (in Wales and Bucklebury), but right now I'm too lazy to look them up.

Just because we don't get up to the minute details about her comings and goings in Wales, doesn't mean she's not spending time there. When Kate and William are in Wales, they are pretty much left alone. Unlike in London where their every move is documented and photographed.

As for William often staying with friends, I've not hear that. There have been a few sightings of him hanging with friends or colleagues, but the majority of the time he's either spotted with Kate or in London at engagements.

Quote:
I hope she improves - she could hardly go backwards as she is starting from such a low base - but I am not holding my breath as I doubt that she will do more than absolutely necessary - she simply doesn't have the work ethic of a Diana or an Anne or a Sophie - hasn't needed to learn to work and having not worked in her 20s will find it increasingly hard to break her current routines in her 30s and 40s.
She has worked. She worked for Jigsaw and then at Party Pieces.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
She hasn't been seen in Wales this year but has been spotted most weeks in Bucklebury and/or London and rarely seen with William - there are people who are questioning the state of their marriage given how much time they are apparently at opposite ends of the country and the fact that William, when spotted is often staying with friends elsewhere in the country to where she is.
There are people who actually make time to keep tabs on what William and Kate do? Why? Maybe they need to make more time, because William and Kate have been seen in Wales twice just recently.

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles