The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #881  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
If I had the opportunity to be a lady of leisure and not work in a job but had the opportunity to do what I loved to do for free, volunteer for a charity [or] sit on my butt all day and watch TNT (Drama in the Daytime Y'all!), and my bills still got paid and I could eat out and travel at my hearts conent..... I would do it in a heart beat. And I don't think there are many that wouldn't.
Hmmm, not so. If I were in Kate's position with her expressed interests (in art, a clue from her education) I'd be using my new access to all the royal art to do some serious study and networking. Someone mentioned that this would be 'taking a job away from someone'. Hardly. She is now married into the family - she makes her own niche in that family and if her interests lead her towards art and art history - in the same way it led Edward to explore his family's history via their residences - that would be excellent. In doing what Edward did - he did not take away anyone's job. He created jobs, in fact.

Sitting around because one can - money - is boring as all hey. Being able to lead a life led by one's interests - in your case travel - is sheer heaven. Following one's interests leads to activity and would likely lead to meaningful contribution in one way or another. There is always a point where one looks at one's life and asks - what am I achieving, what am I giving back.

Being the front person for charities may be someone's idea of a good time but I know of few who could put up with its superficiality for long. A person needs their own work - and in some cases that work is home and family - but very few cruise along without some intellectual pursuits that eventually translate into give-back. Look at Charles - he is an excellent example of this - he couldn't just continue to do the 'show' he had to contribute and contribute he has big-time, making it his real work. Its in the give-and-take that pleasure and satisfaction in living are derived, not in laying about. So say I.

Now mind you, if I won the lottery tomorrow its very likely I would take a long vacation and travel and relax but I know as sure as I know my own name that I'd eventually begin 'working' through my interests, establishing something substantive in which to to do my 'exchanges' in life, establishing my connections - be it only gardening, for example - but gardening 'large' perhaps.

If the university degree subjects were not really an avid interest, why then go to university? If university does not mark out someone as open and interested in the world of ideas and possibilities - what does a university degree signify these days? University should be the beginning not the end of learning. How sad if all Kate's - and William's - university studies did for them was to find a 'suitable' marriage partner. What a waste of an education at that level.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #882  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
We get it. You've made this point several times, and we understand. No need to continue flagellating the deceased equine.
I'm glad you get it! I am a Kate moderate - not fanatical either way - and it is just human nature to make comment when this thread becomes slavishly syrupy. Just as you feel you need to make comments as above, so shall I.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #883  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Hmmm, not so. If I were in Kate's position with her expressed interests (in art, a clue from her education) I'd be using my new access to all the royal art to do some serious study and networking.
How do you know that she doesn't do that? Things like that can happen behind closed doors of the palaces. Or did somebody know of Sarah York's interest in all things left by queen Victoria including the letters and diaries in the Royal family archive before she co-produced that film? I did not. I'm following Sarah since she married Andrew and, as I'm interested myself in historical research, I believe I would have read about it if it ever was mentioned. That she spend hours and hours in the archives at Windsor?
Same with Catherine. The staff surrounding her is not allowed to talk to the media about things like that and her people are known to be very protective. But it gave me pause when she told the young girl at the hospice thast she had seen her video before the visit. This tells me she is quite thorough in her research and interested in the people she is going to visit. Add that to her education and the information we got when the engagement was announced about her interests in photography - all that makes me wonder where the doubts are coming from?

OTOH - if she would splash the information about that she does use her new opportunities to do research: would some members here start laughing hysterically, claiming that she is vain for trying to appear intellectual and asking when her first paper will appear in one of the scientific historical magazines? With some, she can't win. That much is clear.

I, for one, am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and to respect her right to do in her spare time what she wants to do: she is not after all payed by me and she is not yet the First Lady of the UK with the duties that entails. She is just a granddaughter-in-law of a very active and capable souverain.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #884  
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Whitetiger's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: columbia, sc, United States
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I've said it once and I will say it again....

If I had the opportunity to be a lady of leisure and not work in a job but had the opportunity to do what I loved to do for free, volunteer for a charity of sit on my butt all day and watch TNT (Drama in the Daytime Y'all!), and my bills still got paid and I could eat out and travel at my hearts conent..... I would do it in a heart beat. And I don't think there are many that wouldn't.

Fact is...one of the purposes of the women's liberation movement (as I understand it) was that woman should be afforded the same opportunities as men (whether that be education, earning the same salary for the same job, or just a job without the worry that they wouldn't hire you because once you got pregnant you wouldn't come back to work). It also afforded you the opportunity to not work, or work for your parents if that worked for you.

Kate (and William) came to a decision that in order for their relationship to work because of the nature of his military career and his royal position, she would not work a typical career job. I also think they had some agreement that they would marry in so many years.

She didn't work a normal job. They married and lo and behold, she seems to be doing a rather decent job in her first year as a royal. I am not going to say excellent but I believe she has done more than many thought she would and should do.

Well done.

I agree with that sentiment and perhaps so does the Queen. If this story is even remotely accurate that the HM The Queen feels that the Duchess has "immense potential". Time will tell, I suppose. I think Catherine is doing pretty good so far... nothing overwhelming but still on the whole, I think she is improving. It's rumored that HM The Queen and the Duchess already have a better relationship than the Queen ever did with Diana.

Kate Middleton is being trained to be the perfect Royal | Mail Online
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #885  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 320
Duchess of Cambridge says her first Buckingham Palace garden party is 'nerve-wracking' experience - Telegraph

So I'm putting this atricle here because everyone seems to have their opinions as to what her life consists of. She talks about life on Anglesey and comments about what her days consist of. Plus, we shouldn't forget that she is supposed to be researching new patronages and adding a few more to her list at the end of the year or next year. So....here you go!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #886  
Old 09-09-2012, 06:47 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,272
I have a quick question. Is it possible for Kate to be a full time royal while William is part time? I assumed that Sophie and Camilla would essentially do what their royal spouses did in terms of their duties. If the Prince is full time, the wife would be full time.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #887  
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I have a quick question. Is it possible for Kate to be a full time royal while William is part time? I assumed that Sophie and Camilla would essentially do what their royal spouses did in terms of their duties. If the Prince is full time, the wife would be full time.
I don't see why not. The Duke of Kent is a full-time working royal, while the Duchess of Kent makes few, if any appearances.
However, bearing in mind Kate's position as a consort to William, it is unlikely unless William was incapacitated and couldn't carry out royal duties.
Reply With Quote
  #888  
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I have a quick question. Is it possible for Kate to be a full time royal while William is part time? I assumed that Sophie and Camilla would essentially do what their royal spouses did in terms of their duties. If the Prince is full time, the wife would be full time.
She could but since they live largely in Wales the logistics could be a bit complicated.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #889  
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Kate strikes me as the sort of person who sees her role as complimenting William's, as opposed to going out and carving her own royal career.

Also, as NGalitzine says, the fact that William works weird hours on an island off the coast of north Wales would make the logistics of Kate taking on full-time royal duties much more difficult. They'd probably see a whole lot less of each other, which is what their decision to stay in Wales and not become working royals just yet is all about.

I've stated previously that I'd prefer to see Kate doing a bit more by now. Having said that, I have no doubt that Will and Kate's current setup must have the support of the Queen and Charles. The Queen's not above laying down the law with her grandkids. They were open about the fact that Kate would ease into royal duties and that's exactly what's happened. Kate's approval rating with the British people is around the 77% range ( which is much higher than Prince Philip's, for example) so she's doing ok so far.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #890  
Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
I don't see why not. The Duke of Kent is a full-time working royal, while the Duchess of Kent makes few, if any appearances.
However, bearing in mind Kate's position as a consort to William, it is unlikely unless William was incapacitated and couldn't carry out royal duties.
The Duke of Kent is royal by birth the Duchess is his spouse, I am talking about the reverse. Can the one who married into the family be seen to do more work than his/her spouse.
I'm not saying Kate should become full time, I see the logic in her desire to be part time with William, I am just asking if it is possible or has ever been done.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #891  
Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I don't see why not. The Duke of Kent is a full-time working royal, while the Duchess of Kent makes few, if any appearances.
However, bearing in mind Kate's position as a consort to William, it is unlikely unless William was incapacitated and couldn't carry out royal duties.
I think that is the case with the Duchess of Kent; she can't really carry out many duties since she is not well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #892  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,395
Well, Catherine has already carried out more official engagements than William this year. That's mainly due to the fact that William served in the falklands eariler this year and because of his SAR job.

William & Catherine seem to really like working together but of course there will be plenty of times where we wll see them do solo engagements too. It's pretty much the same patteren that we see with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Earl & Countess of Wessex.

William is a part-time senior royal and so there for Catherine is a part-time senior royal. I hope they will become full-time royals by next year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #893  
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Kate strikes me as the sort of person who sees her role as complimenting William's, as opposed to going out and carving her own royal career.

Also, as NGalitzine says, the fact that William works weird hours on an island off the coast of north Wales would make the logistics of Kate taking on full-time royal duties much more difficult. They'd probably see a whole lot less of each other, which is what their decision to stay in Wales and not become working royals just yet is all about.

I've stated previously that I'd prefer to see Kate doing a bit more by now. Having said that, I have no doubt that Will and Kate's current setup must have the support of the Queen and Charles. The Queen's not above laying down the law with her grandkids. They were open about the fact that Kate would ease into royal duties and that's exactly what's happened. Kate's approval rating with the British people is around the 77% range ( which is much higher than Prince Philip's, for example) so she's doing ok so far.
As we have been gently nudged by our dear Zonk to continue this thread of conversation here, I'd like to once point out that the numbers of duties and engagenets that Kate does do isn't up to her. As EIIR says..they have the support of the Queen and Charles.

So a still to many Waity Katie is supposed to say to the Firm "'I'm not out there enough..it look like I'm scrubbing the loo and making beds and cooking a frozen TV dinner and once in a while I get caught at Tesco without my tiara" That's the reality TV version. LOL I think the Firm would give her a big plibbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbts back(also known as the Bronx cheer) on that one... and they'd be laughing.

Perhaps this is one reason we're seeing now why the engagement took so long to become a public and done and final thing. He wanted her to be sure of what she was getting herself in for and gave her time to watch and learn and be a part of what his life as a future King entailed

I thought it was funny when hearing Charles' reaction to the engagement announcement "They've been practicing long enough". He's a good man with words.
__________________
We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #894  
Old 09-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
So because she is only a duchess and not a CP she has to fulfil only 4 engagements a year? The year has 365 days. What does she do the rest of the time? We cannot be sure if this is made in agreement with the RF. I particularly think its her own decision. If she wanted, she could do more. Why would the RF want her to have the image she always had? Not that Im surprised shes not engaged in other activities. One person does not change from one day to the other. But I really expected that in one year she would do somethign else to justity the priviledge position she lives in. Being a senior member is not an excuse either. Even HM cousins do more work than her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #895  
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
So because she is only a duchess and not a CP she has to fulfil only 4 engagements a year?
Using extreme exaggeration to put your point across doesn't really work.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #896  
Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
So because she is only a duchess and not a CP she has to fulfil only 4 engagements a year? The year has 365 days. What does she do the rest of the time? We cannot be sure if this is made in agreement with the RF. I particularly think its her own decision. If she wanted, she could do more. Why would the RF want her to have the image she always had? Not that Im surprised shes not engaged in other activities. One person does not change from one day to the other. But I really expected that in one year she would do somethign else to justity the priviledge position she lives in. Being a senior member is not an excuse either. Even HM cousins do more work than her.
Rosana, again you astonish me with your way to count things. Where do the 4 engagements come from?

Even those few that come to mind immediately: Fortnum & Mason, Jubilee Pageant, Jubilee Concert, Trooping the Colours, Olympic Opening and Closing ceremonies, Visits to hospitals, meeting with queen and Philip somewhere north... are a bit more than that. Plus the upcoming State Visit...

I accept that you don't like either William or Catherin nd believe them to be lazy. But couldn't you at least get the facts straight? For it makes it really difficult not to point out that that's not the whole truth and thus your opinion could be flawed, even though it is a honest opinion to be accepted?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #897  
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
The idea that Kate is determined to do very little and the Queen and Prince Charles have no say in this matter is just preposterous. The Queen dictated to William exactly what he would wear on his wedding day, for goodness sake. As William said in his interview with Andrew Marr for the Jubilee, when the Queen puts her foot down you do what you're told.

Charles is pulling the purse strings here. If he wanted Kate to be doing more, he could make it happen. On the contrary, Charles seems very happy with Kate. It suits him for W&K to only be part-time royals, as he'll know as soon as that changes Charles is going to be sidelined in the press.

The fact that the Queen invited Kate to join her on the very first day of her Jubilee tour, as well as one of her garden parties at BP, and the engagement in Nottingham, suggests that she's pretty satisfied with how things have gone. Those events were a very obvious vote of confidence in Kate IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #898  
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,804
Plus William and Catherine probably start now after their State Visit to seriously trying for their first child - which is a "Royal duty" for them as well, maybe the most important one at the moment. Surely the queen will want to see another successor grow up for at least part of the heir's childhood.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #899  
Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Using extreme exaggeration to put your point across doesn't really work.
In case you haven't noticed the example this poster used as an example of an acceptable hardworking royal is a fellow Argentinian. Coincidence???
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #900  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,395
I think people have to realize that The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge official duties have increased a bit and it will continue to increase. This info is what the Palace having been letting everyone know, including the media. The Palace have mentioned timeand time again that William & Catherine for the time being will work around their military life. That's what they have been doing.

It's true that all the full-time members of the royal family works harder. They have a great deal of responsibility to deal with. They are patron/president/founder of many charities and organizations. Also many of the senior royals have been handed down a great deal of royal roles from past members of the royal family. The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and The late Queen Mother have handed down many roles down to Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. Also Prince Andrew not that long ago mentioned in a interview that when Princess Margaret & Queen Mother died, the older royals sat around a table at Windsor or Sandringham and spilt up the duties amongst each other. So they have a great deal of work on their hands.

Prince William also mentioned in a interview that he and Harry have asked The Queen several times if she need more help with royal duties and she and Prince Philip is always tell them no. So the young royals are looking to help their elder grandparents.

Now that The Duke of Edinburgh's health is not all that good these days, it's looking more likely The Queen & Prince Philip is handing down some responsibility to the younger generation. Just the way the Queen only had the Waleses & Cambridges on the Buckingham Palace balcony after the Diamond Jubilee Service, I think a major transition is underway.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie HighGoalHighDreams The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 1606 06-24-2014 12:59 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince joachim prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]