The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I believe these days we learned a bit more about the position of "wife by his side" - first Prince Harry's interview which was very open about the fact that with the man comes the prince comes the duties of his princess.

And yesterday the new German president was voted for. It was clear who would win the vote, so the media has focused a lot about him - and the woman by his side. So far they are not married but have a long-standing liaison, but she had her job as a leading editor with a serious paper in Nuremburg while he lived in Berlin. But due to his need for a "First Lady" she gave up her career and home in Bavaria and they'll move together into the official home of the Bundespräsident. It was Ms. Schadt's decision to support her lifepartner and spend those years by his side on fulfilling duties for the Federal Republic. And there was no negative comment about that.
Happens all the time in the US. Michelle Obama was an attorney, and worked in universities, but cut down 80% to help with elections, and now totally as first lady (Harvard law grad). Laura Bush was a teacher and librarian, but in her marriage, supported her husband's career and charities as first lady of Texas and the US. Hilary was an attorney with a post graduate degree (first first lady to have one) and was an attorney until the day her husband entered the white house.

Canada, our first ladies are pretty unknown. They usuallt hold some charitable roles, but they don't get the pr that american first ladies do. Other than Margrat Trudeau, for her scandals.

But much different story with kate.

1. Kate did not have a career to give up. People often criticize her for working part time for her parents, so she could cater to William.

2. She hasn't been very quick to jump into any royal duties. She has done minimal, and most people see her shopping more than anything. If she was filling her role as princess, taking on more charities, people would be happier.

The reality is, every princess (married in) will have to give up their former life in some way. Unless they marry further down the line, think the dutch princsses for instance other than Maxima. Its likely why it would be harder for Will and Harry to find an ambitious career girl to marry. People say they'd want Will to marry someone who had a career, but if she was that driven, would she give it all up? I know charity work is fufilling, but royals are mainly cutting ribbons and attending functions, not doing hands on work. It raises a lot of money, but isn't great substance. Would a woman who went through 8 years of med school and was saving lives, really be fufilled cutting ribbons and smiling for the press? Even if she sat on boards of major charities? Some may be, but many wouldn't. Or a lawyer? Architect? Even a teacher? And for what? Not just the ribbon cutting duties? But the press, scrutinyt, royal duties and more?

Kate is likely the perfect choice. She ran in the same circles. She is well educated. But she had no career or ambition to give up.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Would it have been great for Kate to have had at least some career path in mind, yeah it would have. I don't like the image of Kate living her life for 9yrs around William; I personally try not to buy into stories of her living like that that pop up in books.
Not counting those stories, there are women who choose to be, and are good at being housewives. Kate is lucky enough that even if she hadn't married William, there was no desperate need for her to get a job or career. It appears that the one with the career ambitions was James.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Administrator

I've said it once and I will say it again....

If I had the opportunity to be a lady of leisure and not work in a job but had the opportunity to do what I loved to do for free, volunteer for a charity of sit on my butt all day and watch TNT (Drama in the Daytime Y'all!), and my bills still got paid and I could eat out and travel at my hearts conent..... I would do it in a heart beat. And I don't think there are many that wouldn't.

Fact is...one of the purposes of the women's liberation movement (as I understand it) was that woman should be afforded the same opportunities as men (whether that be education, earning the same salary for the same job, or just a job without the worry that they wouldn't hire you because once you got pregnant you wouldn't come back to work). It also afforded you the opportunity to not work, or work for your parents if that worked for you.

Kate (and William) came to a decision that in order for their relationship to work because of the nature of his military career and his royal position, she would not work a typical career job. I also think they had some agreement that they would marry in so many years.

She didn't work a normal job. They married and lo and behold, she seems to be doing a rather decent job in her first year as a royal. I am not going to say excellent but I believe she has done more than many thought she would and should do.

Well done.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I've said it once and I will say it again....

If I had the opportunity to be a lady of leisure and not work in a job but had the opportunity to do what I loved to do for free, volunteer for a charity of sit on my butt all day and watch TNT (Drama in the Daytime Y'all!), and my bills still got paid and I could eat out and travel at my hearts conent..... I would do it in a heart beat. And I don't think there are many that wouldn't.

Fact is...one of the purposes of the women's liberation movement (as I understand it) was that woman should be afforded the same opportunities as men (whether that be education, earning the same salary for the same job, or just a job without the worry that they wouldn't hire you because once you got pregnant you wouldn't come back to work). It also afforded you the opportunity to not work, or work for your parents if that worked for you.

Kate (and William) came to a decision that in order for their relationship to work because of the nature of his military career and his royal position, she would not work a typical career job. I also think they had some agreement that they would marry in so many years.

She didn't work a normal job. They married and lo and behold, she seems to be doing a rather decent job in her first year as a royal. I am not going to say excellent but I believe she has done more than many thought she would and should do.

Well done.
Yes, the liberation movement was about choice as well as equal pay for equal work!

I completely agree with the above though I do wish Catherine had spread a few engagements out in the first 6 months after her marriage, I also think she has done well in the past few days including her first speech (both what was said and how she said it)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Nobility

She chose to prepare well - which in the long run is a wise choice, as nowadays nothing which is said or done is lost - thanks to internet and media
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
2. She hasn't been very quick to jump into any royal duties. She has done minimal, and most people see her shopping more than anything. If she was filling her role as princess, taking on more charities, people would be happier.
You seem to forget that she is not yet a "working Royal" in a senior position but just the wife of a grandson of the queen, who has a professional job. They have just embarked on their marriage and that means her first and foremost duty to his family is to become a mother. Nothing more at the moment.

Richard Kay wrote that if the Queen Mother was still alive, Catherine would not have been "allowed" to do such public duties but be relegated to the Royal backburner till her time has come.

I think that Catherine does take on more and more duties is because people have fallen in love with her and want to see more from her. She herself is so careful not to steal the limelight from her in-laws, I don't think she needs the attention but she had to realise that people want to see her step out and do things, so she does them. But I have yet to see a reaction of more than just some people who believe she is not doing enough. I believe most people realise very well that they get more than they could expect for a Royal granddaughter-in-law and appreciate Catherine for that.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think what people object to is all the fawning and over-praising that goes on when Kate does ANYTHING. What has she done, 5 at-home visits, maybe a few more.

I personally don't think she wants to do these duties, and would rather be somewhere else.

I also don't think she will have children until the 59th minute of her biological clock.

These are just my feelings. I hope they are not true.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Serene Highness

If Kitty Atlanta is right and Kate is just going through the motions and really wants to be elsewhere (where, I wonder?) then her marriage and her life are going to be a long row for her to hoe. I sure hope that's not the case. She married into a certain occupation.

I don't think she'll wait until she's 50 to have children. Or even 40. She'll likely wait until she's 32 or 33, though, which is no big deal. She could even decide to have only one child, especially if that equal primogeniture thing goes through.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
She could even decide to have only one child, especially if that equal primogeniture thing goes through.
She can always decide only to have one child, equal primogeniture or not, because if William has only a daughter and no other child, this daughter is going to be queen. And I think they can afford not to have their daughter enjoy the funds from the Duchy of Cornwall when Catherine and William are king & queen.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
really wants to be elsewhere (where, I wonder?)
Either with her family, seeing as William is still away or in Wales being a real military wife.

When we were told that they were going to lead a "quiet" life, whilst I was disappointed I honestly thought it would have been better for this couple to stay totally out of the limelight for a few years rather than popping in and out. William is dedicated to his air force career, and I believe Catherine would have made a wonderful military wife and support for others in her situation. The fact that they're now doing the occasionally engagement, will make the demand to see them higher and their personal time with each other will IMO slowly be erased when the press continues to call to see them more often. They are not full time working royals, and shouldn't be until William finished his Air Force duties. Until then, the couple should only have been scheduled to appear at the major Jubilee events and Olympics.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I think what people object to is all the fawning and over-praising that goes on when Kate does ANYTHING. What has she done, 5 at-home visits, maybe a few more.

I personally don't think she wants to do these duties, and would rather be somewhere else.

I also don't think she will have children until the 59th minute of her biological clock.

If that's the case, then she's among the greatest actresses who have ever lived. I just do not think someone can fake being that positive and warm all the time.

I mean, Charlene of Monaco comes across as uncomfortable and unhappy most of the time, and it's obvious to just about everyone. Catherine gives off a completely different vibe.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:

What's great about these boards is the fact that there are so many views and interpretations of a given situation. I personally don't see her as someone who doesn't want to be doing her duties. She's always appearing sincere and pleasant, and if what you say is true, then she's one heck of an actress, and perhaps chose the wrong career path. As for having children, there's no hurry. She's really good with children and I remember reading in one of the articles that were published prior to the wedding that she liked children, so it's kind of hard to imagine her not having any of her own. She's still young, so if she waits until her mid-thirties, it's not big deal.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Courtier

I would agree that if Catherine is not happy doing these appearances then she is the consummate actress and deserves some awards. She is certainly great with children and very warm with them. I have to wonder how people conjure up these ideas of what Catherine is "really like". I take her as I see her, a young woman who is going about the business of being a member of the BRF and doing it nicely, IMHO.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I think if Kate were faking anything with the children, they'd pick up on it immediately. Instead, they have such an instant rapport with her that you know she's naturally warm and sincere. You can't fool children and even if she's a consummate actress, they'd see right through her.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Courtier

I think you have to go back to 2007 when she may of had doubts. I think the break up really made her think about what she wanted in life. She knew what she was getting into when she married William.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

We get it. You've made this point several times, and we understand. No need to continue flagellating the deceased equine.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I think if Kate were faking anything with the children, they'd pick up on it immediately. Instead, they have such an instant rapport with her that you know she's naturally warm and sincere. You can't fool children and even if she's a consummate actress, they'd see right through her.
Amen to that . You cannot fool children and animals. They smell BS right away and go in the opposite direction. Catherine's rapport with kids is extremely natural, and it shows.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe I recall that one of the Queen's grandchildren stated a few months ago that even when she wants to be somewhere else during one of her engagements that she always gives her best performance. I don't think Kate looks like she wants to be somewhere else, nor does her smile seem forced; but even if she did want to be somewhere else she wouldn't be the first royal to feel that way.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
She can always decide only to have one child, equal primogeniture or not, because if William has only a daughter and no other child, this daughter is going to be queen. And I think they can afford not to have their daughter enjoy the funds from the Duchy of Cornwall when Catherine and William are king & queen.
Absolutely! Although the pressure to produce a male might be intense...truthfully, I think she's more inclined to listen to what her husband says - and he need not care of an "heir of the body" be produced.

You're right, with or without a change in the law, if William has only one heir, that child will be Queen. So, de facto, it's female primogeniture anyway. Good analysis!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Amen to that . You cannot fool children and animals. They smell BS right away and go in the opposite direction. Catherine's rapport with kids is extremely natural, and it shows.
Agreed. And I think that's why many public figures try to get on with children and animals. What else could we mean by "natural" if not "getting along well with children animals"???

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles