The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Nobility

From the point of view of a non UK citzen, the Cambridges have done nothing wrong so far. The way they dress, represent UK in official duties, et cetera.
They also add some charm to the UK way of life and that attracts me to experience UK at least one more time (I have been to UK thrice so far - England and Scotland). When you consider the millions companies spend in PR and advertisement to promote their products and brands (not considering many more in lobbies), I think the Royal Family is worth much more. Most of what people say about Kate sounds to me like jealousy and individuals trying to be hollier than thou.
In Brazil we have a popular saying that would roughly translate to "Everybody sees the booze I have been drinking but nobody sees the the falls I have had" (people see how well I am faring but don't notice (know) how much trouble I have faced)

Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I don't know if you ever happened to be in the same hotel as a visiting US president. I was once in Berlin and that really was bad - nobody was allowed to inform the guests, we were just ordered around and the American security at one point even entered our room when we were away - I had come back to get a coat I had forgotten and there they were checking my room - even though this is forbidden by German law. and in addition they were very unpolite! So the blocking of of some amenities is standard procedure when there are high-profile guests anywhere.
The Middletons are on vacation, not quite the same as a state visit.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
The Middletons are on vacation, not quite the same as a state visit.
Are you actually implying that Catherine does not have the right to take a vacation because of her security detail?

Lets not forget that
a) decisions taken by the security guards are theirs, and not at the instruction of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge
b) The BRF did not make the decision to have security and at what level. That is the decision of the government of the day.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Personally I don't believe this "news" at all. First of all, it comes from the Daily Mail which actually isn't known for its accuracy (in checking it sources, getting the right names, dates and facts right etc.). Second, since no pictures (to my knowledge) have come out I would guess that the Middleton family is at a private home/resort, so I would think they are not prohibiting people from using amenities that come with their vacation.

Just more of the DM trying to start something without the appropriate facts to back it up.
Yep, agree. Some other site has actually disputed the DM's claims. According to their sources, guests have not been inconvenienced and things have been pretty normal on the island.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Nobility

Mustique is a privately-owned island, purchased by Lord Glenconner over 50 years ago. In order to afford visitors privacy, the media is not allowed on the island. I would suppose a photographer could sneak onto the island, but it's likely that he/she would be discovered fairly quickly. It's possible that visitors have called the media, complaining that their activities have been curtailed because of the Middleton party, but would they, when surely they expect other high-profile visitors to be on the island? The Queen and Prince Philip have vacationed there several times, and Princess Margaret owned a residence there (I think it may have been sold since her death).
Old 01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Courtier

I suspect that if the Duchess healed the sick, solved world debt, created world peace, and had dinner on the table for her family by 6pm, people would still find fault with her.

Bless her heart, that poor girl cannot win for trying.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Somewhat dramatic, don't 'cha think?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Somewhat dramatic, don't 'cha think?
Yes. To drive home a point that this poor girl can't win for trying.

And, that some people will never be satisfied with what she does.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I suspect that if the Duchess healed the sick, solved world debt, created world peace, and had dinner on the table for her family by 6pm, people would still find fault with her.

I have to agree .... but you forgot the part about walking on water.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Shoot! I knew I was forgetting something. Thank you for the reminder, Princess!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
You're right...the cost to the taxpayer for royal protection to accomplish all of this is totally unacceptable regardless of the benefits.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Unfortunately, you're right. Sad that in the eyes of some this woman cannot do anything right.

Quote:
That made me laugh.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

OK, you guys win for now. If we're still having this conversation in 2 years, I win.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Please note that the speculative comments regarding pregnancy (and Kate not working) have been deleted.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

First magazine cover for Kate, but with a recycled photo. Hope this isn't the Daily Mail's version of a photoshop job:

Kate Middleton Scouting: Duchess of Cambridge is latest cover girl for movement's magazine | Mail Online
Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It's better she doesn't do it - otherwise some people would count the cost of the boats transporting her security, so again she would be on fault for doing things others need support at a cost to the taxpayer for following her!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
First magazine cover for Kate, but with a recycled photo. Hope this isn't the Daily Mail's version of a photoshop job:

Kate Middleton Scouting: Duchess of Cambridge is latest cover girl for movement's magazine | Mail Online
Here's another story about the same thing but from 'PEOPLE' magazine, so hopefully no one decided to play with Adobe Photoshop and get his/her 'creation' published.

Duchess of Cambridge Lands Scouting Magazine Cover : People.com

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I think People is more reliable, so maybe this cover is the real deal.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Nobility

I don't know what all the complaints are about, but Kate isn't the first person to experience this type of scrutiny. Every person in the public eye acquires scruntiny because it seems everyone seems to think they know more about the person than the person themselves. It's human nature. Everyone must criticize other individuals especially people with my power, attention, and money. Don't ask me why......it's ridiculous. The complaints I have is how unfactual the criticisms can be and how much information is misinterpreted and manipulated by people but more specifically the media. I think we should all keep that in mind when we cite, reference, or take information as fact especially if it is not from an official source.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM

I don't like people calling her a role model. Not yet. Let her earn that. She isn't a role model for marrying her college sweetheart, that's just normal. She is only starting out and she hasn't done hardly anything. The role models in the BRF are the Queen, Anne, Sophie, Philip, Charles, Edward.... And Harry!!!! But Kate isn't there yet. I left William off that list because he still has something to prove in my opinion. I like him but I don't admire him. At least, not yet.

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles