The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #541  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 PM
TortillaChips's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coventry, United Kingdom
Posts: 167
JMHO - I would love to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge out on constant appointments but I try to take the (hopefully level headed) attitude that they are working within the plans of the 'the management' and in theory there is no way that they would 'get out' of doing what is expected of them. Therefore, I assume that 'the management' are happy with the way things are progressing.

We have absolutely no way of knowing what is happening in the background - despite many claims otherwise. For all we know DoCa is continuously learning about all of the charities and making decisions. But we don't know!

It has been suggested that the highlight needs to be on the Queen's Jubilee, and if the management feels that too many appearances by the Duke and Duchess may take away from the Jubilee celebrations then I'm certainly happy to go along with this as the Jubilee celebrations should certainly highlight the achievements of our Queen.

For me, although it is frustrating, it is part of the heightened fun when something does happen
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #542  
Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,378
Well IMO the only good way (notice that I said good) that Kate can acclimated to Royal life is to do royal engagements with William. Since William is full time in the SAR, she has to make do when he is available for engagements. And no, I don't think she should do royal engagements with anyone else (like the Queen, Charles, Camilla, Harry, etc.). One hopes that while she is in Wales, someone is teaching her something.

I say good because following the examples of Camilla and Sophie, who "shadowed" for lack of a better word their husbands on royal engagements for months following their weddings. Heck even Diana and Sarah followed their husbands after they got married. The only events that I recall Camilla doing solo right away were those that involved the Osteoporosis Association and really, she had been involved with that for years prior to her marriage.

And again, Kate and William have only been married for four months, so I do think that a little slack should be sent her way. At least until six months or a year. IMO it would be totally different if William was not in the SAR and she was sitting around KP eating candy.

And for those who say that Kate should be familiar with royal life since she has been dating William for so long...I still say there is a big difference between going out with your boyfriend to a few events and smiling by his side, as opposed to people looking to meet you and your husband, being social, knowing about royal etiquette, information about the events you attend, etc.

Let's cut her some slack. I swear people were saying the same thing about Daniel in the Sweden forums and it took him a good year before he started doing engagements on his own. I am not royal or well off that I am in the social scene but I can only imagine the adjustment that it takes to do this.

I also think that the Grey Men, William's advisors or The Queen have learned from the Diana situation and they are going to pace Kate accordingly. Frankly, even though we as royal lovers love it when they come out and such, there is a lot of attention that needs to die IMO. As previously suggested Jubilee year should be about the Queen and not about Kate.
__________________

__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #543  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach (CA), United States
Posts: 1,410
I thought it had been established that William and Kate would be laying low for the rest of 2011 (and weren't full-time royals yet)? I remember a spokesperson saying that W&K were going to spend the rest of the year getting settled into married life and would only do a few engagements. I think the spokesperson even mentioned how the Queen and Prince Charles were supportive of their decision.

I do understand that people want to see Kate doing more events, but it's only been 4 months since the wedding. I don't mind her taking some time to get situated. Plus, it's not like she's been absent. She's done quite a few events and an 11 day overseas tour.

I personally didn't (and don't) expect to see them take on more duties until next year. That's when they have the Queen's Jubilee, the Olympics and the overseas trips planned.

As for charities, a spokesperson from St. James Palace said that Kate was spending the next few months researching and going through the main charity requests (she supposedly has several thousand requests).

ETA: I don't know if this has been posted, but here's the statement from St. James Palace regarding W&K.

William and Kate go 'under the radar' to focus on married life and his career | UK news | The Guardian
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #544  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm ready to be throttled by all, but I have to ask...

How on Earth can Kate be adjusting to her new royal life by sitting by herself (mostly) in a secluded farmhouse in remote Anglesey?
In the four months since they married, how much time do you actually think she has had to sit by herself watching television waiting for William to come home? For that matter why do you assume that she has nothing better to do just because she isn't out making speeches and visiting hospitals?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Well IMO the only good way (notice that I said good) that Kate can acclimated to Royal life is to do royal engagements with William. Since William is full time in the SAR, she has to make do when he is available for engagements. And no, I don't think she should do royal engagements with anyone else (like the Queen, Charles, Camilla, Harry, etc.). One hopes that while she is in Wales, someone is teaching her something.

I say good because following the examples of Camilla and Sophie, who "shadowed" for lack of a better word their husbands on royal engagements for months following their weddings. Heck even Diana and Sarah followed their husbands after they got married. The only events that I recall Camilla doing solo right away were those that involved the Osteoporosis Association and really, she had been involved with that for years prior to her marriage.

And again, Kate and William have only been married for four months, so I do think that a little slack should be sent her way. At least until six months or a year. IMO it would be totally different if William was not in the SAR and she was sitting around KP eating candy.

And for those who say that Kate should be familiar with royal life since she has been dating William for so long...I still say there is a big difference between going out with your boyfriend to a few events and smiling by his side, as opposed to people looking to meet you and your husband, being social, knowing about royal etiquette, information about the events you attend, etc.

Let's cut her some slack. I swear people were saying the same thing about Daniel in the Sweden forums and it took him a good year before he started doing engagements on his own. I am not royal or well off that I am in the social scene but I can only imagine the adjustment that it takes to do this.

I also think that the Grey Men, William's advisors or The Queen have learned from the Diana situation and they are going to pace Kate accordingly. Frankly, even though we as royal lovers love it when they come out and such, there is a lot of attention that needs to die IMO. As previously suggested Jubilee year should be about the Queen and not about Kate.
Can I quote this on another board?! I am so sick of this bashing of Kate because she hasn't taken on a full time load of royal engagements ala Prince Charles or Princess Anne. Not only has it only been a few months, but I can completely understand her apprehension of doing engagements alone and not with William. She is essentially a new born into all of this and she needs to take her time learning how to "walk" in this new world. It makes perfect sense for her to want to learn from William, and unfortunately that learning is going to be slow because of his second job. I personally have never seen Daniel without Victoria, so it surprises me to hear that he actually has been doing some duties on his own. So from what I can gather, Sophie, Camilla, Daniel, Sarah, and Diana; took their time in becoming full time working royals, and for the first few months or up to a year, they stuck close to their spouses.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,324
She could just be adjusting to being married; some people consider marriage itself an important investment or institution - and spending time on establishing that may well provide a much happier home for the future princes and princesses she's expected to raise.

She could be doing any number of things while at home to prepare herself to be a good wife and mother; stay at home moms and wives are not lazy riffraff in most cases, many are industrious. Working out a lifetime of home habits once married is something some people could well afford to spend more time on, rather than less - although everyone is different.

I don't know whether William is easy or hard to live with - but Kate is learning that, for herself, from her point of view (and vice versa); and I do believe it is different after one marries (that forever sense is different than just playing house).

They're actually doing exactly what I'd hoped they do: just be happy newlyweds for awhile. At least, I hope they're happy, they seem happy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,378
I once asked a recently married girlfriend, if life with her husband was different despite the fact that they had lived together for a number of years.

She said, Heck yeah! For one thing, you just can't leave. And by that she meant that marriage was a serious commitment and despite the fact that they had lived together, it was a totally different set of circumstances, she looked at her husband differently (he was no longer the boyfriend but a husband), she took her marriage vows (for better or worse, sickness and in health seriously), etc. And before they took vows, either one of them could have said....This isn't working and rolled with no consequence. That is no longer the case.

So I would imagine that in addition to sorting out the numerous requests for Kate to be a patron, setting up the London home, adjusting to be a wife and supporting William, her plate is pretty full right now. By April of 2012, I expect that Kate would have taken on a couple of patronages as she gears up for the Jubilee year and the next tour.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #548  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:31 PM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,345
You are correct Zonk, it did take up to a year of shadowing their spouse's for Diana, Sarah, Sophie, Camilla, not to mention Mary, Maxima, Letizia, Daniel, et al.

It needs remembering that Catherine is only the heir's heir, unlike all the above, whose spouses are the Crown Princess and Crown Princes who were already employed full time on royal duties whereas her husband's primary job is a SAR Pilot.

Inevitably this means that it will take Catherine longer to acclimate if she is only "working" with her husband so it is possible we may see her working with other royals.

However, it must also be remembered that one of the biggest problems early in the York marriage was the long separations and having Catherine move to full time royal duties on her own without the immediate support of her husband would put a strain on their marriage. Full time royal duties would, realistically, mean moving her base of operations from Anglesey to KP, away from William.

Not a good idea if she is to settle as a wife, military wife and later a "royal" wife. And let's not forget, we are all hoping to see "Mother" added to that job description in the not too distant future. Should that happen, I am sure that duties are definitely going to come third!

I am sure that is why we were told that newlyweds would be under the radar for a good few months and, with the Jubilee, definitely keeping a relatively low profile. Thinking about it, perhaps that is why they married when they did. They get a period of grace after the wedding and are not expected to upstage the Jubilee which translates to a decent settling in period.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi

Can I quote this on another board?! I am so sick of this bashing of Kate because she hasn't taken on a full time load of royal engagements .....
Did you mean this thread? Because I don't think anyone here was bashing her, certainly wasn't my intention....just questiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
I once asked a recently married girlfriend, if life with her husband was different despite the fact that they had lived together for a number of years.

She said, Heck yeah! For one thing, you just can't leave. And by that she meant that marriage was a serious commitment and despite the fact that they had lived together....
I've been married 4 yrs, with my husband 10 and lived together 4 years before we got married, for me aside from you can't just leave honestly little changed.....It's different for each couple I am sure....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #550  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 AM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I was disappointed when we were told that neither of them would be doing barely any engagements in the next three years while they were in Wales. I wish we saw them more, I think keeping Catherine practically away from royal life for three years is a bad idea and she should be being eased into royal life (and some can argue that that is what's happening but I disagree).

We probably won't see her on her own for at least 3 years, she'll probably be with William.
You disagree that she is currently being eased into royal life? I am surprised by that statement after the Canadian/US tour and various other appearances just prior and after they married. What would you consider as proof that she is in fact being eased into her new role?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #551  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
...For that matter why do you assume that she has nothing better to do just because she isn't out making speeches and visiting hospitals?
Because I believe she IS sitting at home watching television. I don't particularly care if she is doing nothing, but I do have an opinion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #552  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: la, United States
Posts: 39
Kate touring Canada & LA, visiting the four corners of the UK and doing other official engagements are A LOT for a new member of the royal family. That is an undeniable fact. We have to give credit where it is due. Besides, who says Kate will continue to only do duties with William for the next 3 years? That is mere speculation.

Royals often work in pairs. So for as long as William remains on his full-time job, we can't really expect Kate to be a full time royal. They have a marriage to think about, too. And frankly, their life together is what they should rightfully prioritize. After all, William is only second in line to the throne.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #553  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Because I believe she IS sitting at home watching television. I don't particularly care if she is doing nothing, but I do have an opinion.
Of course you have an opinion, and you are of course entitled to it. I just don't undestand why you assume that is all she is doing just because you aren't seeing her out everyday shaking hands and making speeches? She has been married a little over 4 months and yet I am seeing complaints that she isn't taking on charity work and why she is shadowing her husband in official duties. I don't understand why the expectations are so much more severe with Catherine than they were with other Royal brides.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #554  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Lady Ann's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IN THE CITY, United States
Posts: 857
I think that if Kate was out doing solo bits, we would hear: Look she wants all the lime light! She invites the news articals and pictures!, Didn't they learn anything from Diana?, Where is her husband? Who was this man or that person she was with? She did this or that in a worng way! Opening some cans of worms that don't need to be. Peoples opinions change depending on what there is to complain about.
__________________
Lady Ann
Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face…~ George Eliot ~
Reply With Quote
  #555  
Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat

You disagree that she is currently being eased into royal life? I am surprised by that statement after the Canadian/US tour and various other appearances just prior and after they married. What would you consider as proof that she is in fact being eased into her new role?
I do disagree, she's done the 'rounds' and now she's a housewife for the majority of the next three years, with the expectancy of getting pregnant asap. Proof? More engagements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_93
Kate Middleton is such a rubbish and waste of time...she is so useless and I think she will be ,,company'' to William...She will never be Diana,Diana was unique in all ways... :)
I repeat what other posters have said, why bother wasting your time writing this if Catherine herself is a waste of time in your eyes? How is she useless exactly? You are entitled to your opinion but yours has clearly been made up from your love of Diana. She will never be Diana you are right, and thank god for that. We do not need another one of her.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #556  
Old 09-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I do disagree, she's done the 'rounds' and now she's a housewife for the majority of the next three years, with the expectancy of getting pregnant asap. Proof? More engagements.
So you apparently disagree with the tactic that has been laid out for them, how many engagements would be enough proof for you?
William is not a full-time royal yet and you seem to think that she should be more visible, thus branching out on her own. Do you want her to do that?

Am I correct when I say that I think that you feel that she should live up (more) to her title of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge and she is not doing so now?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #557  
Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy

So you apparently disagree with the tactic that has been laid out for them, how many engagements would be enough proof for you?
William is not a full-time royal yet and you seem to think that she should be more visible, thus branching out on her own. Do you want her to do that?

Am I correct when I say that I think that you feel that she should live up (more) to her title of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge and she is not doing so now?
I said I disagreed, quite a few times and why is my opinion on this matter so great an interest?
I think both William, Catherine and Harry should be doing more as royals.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #558  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:00 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 692
[QUOTE=Lumutqueen;1317035]I do disagree, she's done the 'rounds' and now she's a housewife for the majority of the next three years, with the expectancy of getting pregnant asap. Proof? More engagements.

From what I understood they will not be making official public appearances leading up to the Jubilee. I don't see how that interprets to mean they wil be hiding in Anglesey for the duration, but rather that we will not be seeing them out as official representatives of the Queen or RF, i.e.; working. I am sure we will see plenty of them at various royal functions with the rest of the family.

They have another tour planned for 2012, so as far as the assumption that she will be doing nothing more than playing housewife for the next 3 years is rather puzzling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #559  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post

From what I understood they will not be making official public appearances leading up to the Jubilee. I don't see how that interprets to mean they wil be hiding in Anglesey for the duration, but rather that we will not be seeing them out as official representatives of the Queen or RF, i.e.; working. I am sure we will see plenty of them at various royal functions with the rest of the family.

They have another tour planned for 2012, so as far as the assumption that she will be doing nothing more than playing housewife for the next 3 years is rather puzzling.
Oh yes they'll be shown on family occasions - remembrance day, christmas, the jubilee and the Olympics then there is the exception of their feb/march tour of Australia and New Zealand.

We were told that Catherine and William would barely been seen in the next 3 years due to numerous reasons - so they'll be staying in Anglesey (and btw I never said 'hiding') for those three years. Catherine will have the expectation of producing at least one child in those three years. My opinion is that she's going to be the military wife at home on base, the fact that you find that opinion puzzling is not my fault.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #560  
Old 09-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I said I disagreed, quite a few times and why is my opinion on this matter so great an interest?
I think both William, Catherine and Harry should be doing more as royals.
To me your opinion is not of so great an interest, even though it might seem so to you. I just wanted the picture clear for myself, since I don't visit that often anymore.
Some think they (William, Catherine and Harry) should have stepped up their plate already and others think they should be able to enjoy the life they have before they are thrown into royal duties 24/7.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and this topic clearly generates conflicting ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Oh yes they'll be shown on family occasions - remembrance day, christmas, the jubilee and the Olympics then there is the exception of their feb/march tour of Australia and New Zealand.

We were told that Catherine and William would barely been seen in the next 3 years due to numerous reasons - so they'll be staying in Anglesey (and btw I never said 'hiding') for those three years. Catherine will have the expectation of producing at least one child in those three years. My opinion is that she's going to be the military wife at home on base, the fact that you find that opinion puzzling is not my fault.
They will only be seen on the required occasions and not fully throughout the year. That relatively translates to barely, imo. So in my opinion she will still mostly be the military wife at Anglesey but travel when necessary - so no literal disappearing for three years.

I suppose it's a matter of interpretation and I will leave it at that.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie HighGoalHighDreams The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 1606 06-24-2014 12:59 PM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]