The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I have no problem with her being a housewife, but her "housewife" and our housewife will be quite different. I doubt she can cook, so shoving a pizza in the oven does not take much time. I doubt she will do cleaning. She probably won't wash the car or mow the lawn or do the laundry or sew her own clothes.

I like Kate, but she will never be a housewife...she'll be a stay-at-home wife and nothing more. My opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

It has been publicly stated that Kate and William will not have servants at their Welsh cottage so Kate and William will be having to do the cleaning and washing for the time being. Personally, I think the Duke and Duchess deserve a bit of down time. I'd like to see them at the big events, but there is no need for them to be full time royals at the mo.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
It has been publicly stated that Kate and William will not have servants at their Welsh cottage so Kate and William will be having to do the cleaning and washing for the time being. Personally, I think the Duke and Duchess deserve a bit of down time. I'd like to see them at the big events, but there is no need for them to be full time royals at the mo.
I'm sorry but this public statement is quite stupid. You do not need to be a royal in order to have a househelp. Catherine herself is rich enough that she can easily pay someone to do some cleaning, ironing et cooking for her at home. Millions of people, economically average (not even rich) have this kind og help, maybe once or twice per week, so I do not see why the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge of Great Britain can NOT have it!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Nobility

Don't forget Kate has to learn how the organization works from the inside out. She needs to appoint a lady-in-waiting and get used to working with William and Harry's private secretary before stepping out to do engagements on her own. If she was joining a business, you would not expect her to be running out and making sales calls on her own on the very first day!

Besides, the most important thing right now is solidifying her relationship with William. The rest of her duties can wait. And we will have plenty of opportunities to see her in the next few months with the Trooping of the Colour, Ascot, Order of the Garter services, Prince Philip's 90th birthday, Zara Phillip's wedding, the visit to Canada and possibly the state visit from the U.S.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyals View Post
Great for them! Just like the Queen when she first got married. Shows that William & and Palace are actually supporting this marriage more than anything.

Being primarily a housewife doesn't mean not doing public duties... it just means she won't be a full time member of the RF like Prince Charles or Princess Anne just yet. Remember that there's Canada in July... that in itself it a HUGE commitment -- the first time something like this to happen so soon to a new royal wife.

I agree. There will be some public appearances and events, but they'll be joint for a while. I have no issue with this given that William himself isn't a full-time royal. It will give them the best possible start to their marriage, and to be honest, I would be surprised if she wasn't involving herself in life on Anglesey and it's just not going to be that well known.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I have no problem with her being a housewife, but her "housewife" and our housewife will be quite different. I doubt she can cook, so shoving a pizza in the oven does not take much time. I doubt she will do cleaning. She probably won't wash the car or mow the lawn or do the laundry or sew her own clothes.

I like Kate, but she will never be a housewife...she'll be a stay-at-home wife and nothing more. My opinion and I'm stickin' to it!
In truth, I doubt Kate made any statements to the press as to her plans for the future. IMO, the next few months for her are to get a better understanding of how the royal household works, and to try and identify what causes she is likely to support. She will also probably be doing a fair amount of planning for their forthcoming trip to Canada.

We are unlikely to know about the level of house help they have (which is absolutely fine from my perspective) so I am not sure any distinctions between a stay at home wife and a housewife, IMO, are purely academic.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfish View Post
I have no issue with this given that William himself isn't a full-time royal.
I think this is really the heart of the issue. Catherine's position in the royal family is secondary to William's. She can't very well take on full time royal duties before he does. Right now William's job with the RAF comes first. I'm sure Catherine will have plenty of behind the scenes work to keep her occupied - learning about protocol, history, researching potential patronages, etc. Looking at what they've got coming up - the Canada trip, etc - it all may not seem like that much when compared to what the Queen or the Prince of Wales do, but it will be Catherine's first time doing any of it and I think there will be a ton of prep work she'll have to do to get herself up to speed.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In truth, I doubt Kate made any statements to the press as to her plans for the future. IMO, the next few months for her are to get a better understanding of how the royal household works, and to try and identify what causes she is likely to support. She will also probably be doing a fair amount of planning for their forthcoming trip to Canada.

We are unlikely to know about the level of house help they have (which is absolutely fine from my perspective) so I am not sure any distinctions between a stay at home wife and a housewife, IMO, are purely academic.
Prince William has stated that she does cook, and helped out a lot whenever he tried to cook but couldn't manage it.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Carole Middleton does not appear to be a mother who neglected her daughters upbringing. And being able to cope in a household is part of that. It is known that William and Catherine did the household chores when in St. Andrew's, they like to holiday in secluded lodges and don't have servants in Wales. So who does the work for them? Just because she is a millionaire's daughter and he is a prince does not mean they cannot cook and cannot clean the loo. They're grown-ups after all, no babies.

And cooking is not really difficult....
Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I'm sorry but this public statement is quite stupid. You do not need to be a royal in order to have a househelp. Catherine herself is rich enough that she can easily pay someone to do some cleaning, ironing et cooking for her at home. Millions of people, economically average (not even rich) have this kind og help, maybe once or twice per week, so I do not see why the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge of Great Britain can NOT have it!!!
Its not a question of money but of privacy. They prefer to be alone, really alone at home, thus they do the work that need to be done themselves instead of having hired help which potentially prying eyes and information for sale.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I wish I could believe that about the servants. They might not have live-ins, but I'll bet my mansion house on it that DoCa will need a lot of magazine subscriptions! LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Its not a question of money but of privacy. They prefer to be alone, really alone at home, thus they do the work that need to be done themselves instead of having hired help which potentially prying eyes and information for sale.

I agree.The Dutchess cooked when they were at St Andrews.The Duke has talked about enjoying Carole Middleton cooking.So I am sure The Dutchess was taught to cook and clean .
Old 05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen was never just a housewife. She was a full-time working royal before she married.

When Philip was on leave in Malta she would go out and spend time with him but when he was at sea she was working in Britain as a royal on duties.
Understand your point. But where does it say that Kate will "JUST be a housewife?" She definitely won't. She and William will have joint appearances and official duties. They simply won't be FULL-TIME royals just yet.

Since the engagement, Kate has been on 4 high-profile official visits around the UK. And she's signed up for an 8-day overseas tour of Canada in July. No other new royal bride has taken on so much so soon. Plus there are reports of overseas tours to more Commonwealth countries next year. So all this talk of her "disappearing" does not make sense at all. It's the media's way of saying, "hey, we need to see you more so we can critique your wardrobe, dissect everything you do and therefore sell more papers." Diana was a media cash cow, and since her death, the press has been desperate for someone to fill her shoes.

I think keeping a low profile is one of the best decisions they've made. They are the new media darlings, and God knows too much publicity too soon burned many before them. As in their wedding prayer, they are seeing through "what is real and what is important." Good on them!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

Also it shouldn't be overly taxing or time consuming for two young, healthy people to keep themselves fed and their house reasonably tidy. If they were doing a lot of official entertaining or living in a huge mansion it might be different but it sounds like they really do live very simple, normal lives in Wales.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM

If she's like other brides then she has a lot of thank you notes to write. And with 2000 people that's a lot (donations should be thanked also)

She's got a very busy June-July. She does need to read up on Canada and current events. She does need to start by being a support to William, instead she will look to some like she is trying to be the next Diana, or those that say she just aimed to be a princess for status sake will have a field day. William is VERY protective of his father and Camilla and I think they don't want to overshadow them. She will take on jobs, but I imagine they will be smaller, meaningful ones, instead of trying to milk headlines. At least for now. And that's the right thing. I'm sure they want the Queen, Charles and Camilla to get the most news right now.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Nobility

Let's look at this from a different perspective.

Clarence House has said that the Duchess won't immediately start taking public engagements. But editors know that the public is hungry for more news about William and Kate and that there's nothing new to report. So they create a headline that screams "Kate says she wants to be a housewife for now!" and sit back while they sell papers. Meanwhile, all of use are discussing why in the world Kate wants to be an ordinary housewife!

Taking another look at the article, there are a lot of direct quotes from a "well-placed source" who is never named. That could be anyone from William's private secretary to the gardener at Clarence House.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Courtier

I'm not going to pretending to know what the Duchess is going to do all day as quite frankly, I don't have access to her diary and neither does anyone else here.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

This made me laugh so much! Pizza boxes can be a devil to get into and finding the instructions can be a pain and takes an inordinate amount of time.....unless you order takeaway.....
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Nobility

I think if is wonderful that they will have time to be just themselves.

The Queen herself had this opportunity and it would have been so much
better for Sarah. She wanted to go with Andrew and live on his
base.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

Ya know upon rereading this article I realized it doesn't actually have Catherine or a rep saying 'housewife' just not full Royal, which some of us expected, plus it says she' 'll do duties with William and when he's busy pursue her own interests (which begs the question what does that mean? What type of interests?) so .....as long as she eventually move into a greater fulltime Royal roll I guess it's ok-but I'm glad she's at least doing some w William bc if she did none that would be upsetting....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ewife-now.html

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles