The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #301  
Old 01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,005
Yes, when I was young and freshly-educated, I was always a bit nervous before going on job interviews, or when meeting prospective in-laws, or when encountering new situations at my employment. And of course I got better at all those things over time. But I didn't always have the luxury of many days' advance preparation, either. And I certainly didn't have a raft of advisors to help me out, nor a suave prince by my side! But I had grit and intelligence and spunk and common sense, and I generally did well.

And of course Her Majesty could no doubt carry out her engagements while sleep-walking if she had to, after 8 decades of public life. But the nodding and smiling and hand-shaking won't be too hard for Catherine to master, and she will have superb counsel for the other duties and knowledge she will need to perform and acquire. And I think that people will be charmed by her as they were by Diana, even in the early days; she'll get the benefit of the doubt more often than not.

My point about Catherine's primary responsibility ties in nicely with what you point out. If she can be beside William for the majority of her early engagements, she certainly will be more confident and less likely to make serious errors. But if she is rushed into performing huge numbers of royal duties and having to be away from home in the early months and years, then the success of her marriage will be less assured. And if the marriage doesn't work, then it won't matter how well she performs her duties.

It seems to me that if HM thinks this is the right way to start "the kids" off in their lives together, then she is probably right.

I actually think you and I agree, Iluvbertie. Let William and Catherine settle into their own life together before requiring them to be movers and shakers in the Royal Family. Some seem to think that she must hit the ground running right out of the honeymoon gate regardless of anything else. She is mature, educated, and worldly- not a bad starting place. Youth, glamour and romance will help her immensely. And if there's no romance between the couple, there won't be between the couple and the people whom they serve.

PS- I don't know which Bertie you love, but I've just seen The Kings Speech, and I definitely love Colin Firth's Bertie! Wonderful movie.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
PS- I don't know which Bertie you love, but I've just seen The Kings Speech, and I definitely love Colin Firth's Bertie! Wonderful movie.

I actually have always had a soft spot for Edward VII probably from seeing the Edward VII series in my youth.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I actually have always had a soft spot for Edward VII probably from seeing the Edward VII series in my youth.
Me, too! I had just started dating the man I was to marry, and he sweetly agreed to watch with me. Soon, he was as eagerly attached to the series (and subsequent, similar, PBS-type shows) as I was. I was thrilled to find a man who preferred such programming.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,281
Two or three things would be difficult I think: Being in the Royal Family means always being "on". In public, you can't be in a bad mood, be bored, or not be aware at all times of what's you're saying or the expression on your face. You always have to look terrific and make nice pictures for the cameras without being too obviously aware of them. What would be difficult as well is reacting appropriately to what people say to you doing walk-abouts. Someone might say something really unusual or odd, but you must be gracious. There's a constant performance going on, and I think that would be tremendous pressure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Maybe I am just naive, maybe I am ignorant, but how difficult are these engagements?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Two or three things would be difficult I think: Being in the Royal Family means always being "on". In public, you can't be in a bad mood, be bored, or not be aware at all times of what's you're saying or the expression on your face. You always have to look terrific and make nice pictures for the cameras without being too obviously aware of them. What would be difficult as well is reacting appropriately to what people say to you doing walk-abouts. Someone might say something really unusual or odd, but you must be gracious. There's a constant performance going on, and I think that would be tremendous pressure.
LOL, somehow I don't think the Princess Royal got that message.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Lenora's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 2,092
So,by now,Kate has quitted her job and she is free for any royal duties.
Kate Middleton Quits Party Pieces : People.com
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
LOL, somehow I don't think the Princess Royal got that message.

She should have had Queen Mary around for a bit longer - 'we are never bored and we love hospitals'.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
So,by now,Kate has quitted her job and she is free for any royal duties.
Kate Middleton Quits Party Pieces : People.com

I really don't think she will be doing any royal duties until late May or early June - after the wedding although she might appear at Easter. Just because she has quit Party Pieces doesn't mean she will start working for the royals but rather she will be spending her days getting ready to join them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I really don't think she will be doing any royal duties until late May or early June - after the wedding although she might appear at Easter. Just because she has quit Party Pieces doesn't mean she will start working for the royals but rather she will be spending her days getting ready to join them.
Not only do I imagine that Kate has so much to do with the wedding that she really can't give full attention to duties at Party Pieces, but I imagine the "boss" also has a gazillion things to do to get ready.

I would imagine that Kate will definitely be participating in Trooping the Color, Ascot and all of the celebrations for the DoE's 90th birthday. Perhaps if William is scheduled to be on duty, she will even attend such functions with the royal family on her own.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I would imagine that Kate will definitely be participating in Trooping the Color, Ascot and all of the celebrations for the DoE's 90th birthday. Perhaps if William is scheduled to be on duty, she will even attend such functions with the royal family on her own.
I agree that Kate will certainly attend all of the above events (perhaps with the execption of Ascot), irrespective of whether William attends or not. Once the "summer calender" is over, you may then see a period when Kate s not that visible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Not only do I imagine that Kate has so much to do with the wedding that she really can't give full attention to duties at Party Pieces, but I imagine the "boss" also has a gazillion things to do to get ready.

I would imagine that Kate will definitely be participating in Trooping the Color, Ascot and all of the celebrations for the DoE's 90th birthday. Perhaps if William is scheduled to be on duty, she will even attend such functions with the royal family on her own.

But these events are after she joins the family.

What she will be doing for the next three months is what I was referring to - she has left her job and doesn't marry for over 3 months. I doubt that she will be doing royal duties in that time, although, as I said she might appear at Easter (the week before she marries).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
But these events are after she joins the family.

What she will be doing for the next three months is what I was referring to - she has left her job and doesn't marry for over 3 months. I doubt that she will be doing royal duties in that time, although, as I said she might appear at Easter (the week before she marries).
I'm sure that wedding preparations are taking up a lot of her time. Not only the dress fittings but all those little details that need to be gone over with the staff as to flowers, music, bridal party apparel and such. For a normal wedding its a very stressful time for a bride... hence the term Bridezilla so I can imagine with a wedding the size of this one and all the minute details, the stress is even greater. Of course she'll be wanting to be spending time with William also. I imagine though that if William does have an engagement on his calendar before the wedding, Kate most like would accompany him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Sherlock221B's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 171
Excuse me, but wasn't she dating William for nearly ten years? I would believe that once it had been decided that Catherine would be his wife, only the wedding date being unknown, that during that time span I'm sure Charles, Camilla, William and even Harry and all their staff have all been "preparing" her for her new role...so I'm quite sure she is familiar with the basic etiquette of a member of the royal family. Though I would agree that no amount of preparation will null the nervousness associated with starting anything new.

A note on royal duties...again she will not be performing royal duties because she is unprepared, but simply they're no official duties for her to perform yet...they haven't come up with any...and I'm sure they'll need more than twelve months to create some especially with the Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Olympics all occurring in less than twelve months.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 AM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B
A note on royal duties...again she will not be performing royal duties because she is unprepared, but simply they're no official duties for her to perform yet...they haven't come up with any...and I'm sure they'll need more than twelve months to create some especially with the Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Olympics all occurring in less than twelve months.
They haven't come up with any official duties??
I can't believe that that would be the reason why. I'm sure there's a plethora of invitations mailed to the royal family in hopes of one them attending. The Queen herself turns down hundreds of engagements each year...so I think if they wanted to they could most definitely find something for Kate IMO.
__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
But these events are after she joins the family.

What she will be doing for the next three months is what I was referring to - she has left her job and doesn't marry for over 3 months. I doubt that she will be doing royal duties in that time, although, as I said she might appear at Easter (the week before she marries).
I personally think that there is enough work in organizing a wedding of that size even with considerable help.

But I can imagine that Catherine already has some ideas about what she will do once married and might already be meeting people from charities or from the Royal household in order to see if she can work with them. It wasn't eg not that much known that Fergie had such a keen interest in the Royal archives and spent long hours researching the correspondence of late Royals because she had plans to edit and publish them. Who knows? maybe Catherine already met the people responsible for the Roal collections and made plans to work there after the wedding? There are so many scenarios imaginable,so I tend to wait till we receive more information about her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Sherlock221B's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
They haven't come up with any official duties??
I can't believe that that would be the reason why. I'm sure there's a plethora of invitations mailed to the royal family in hopes of one them attending. The Queen herself turns down hundreds of engagements each year...so I think if they wanted to they could most definitely find something for Kate IMO.
Right, official duties for her...Catherine...one cannot just conclude that she should be a fill in for the Queen...again what appropriate/relevant duties should a newly wed wife of the eldest son, a serving officer of the RAF, of the heir to the throne perform? I think the answer is more detailed than just "Oh, here's an empty spot...put her name down"...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,379
Agreed. Anything that Kate does after the wedding will most likely be with William and she will not be filling in for the Queen. That's what they have Charles and Camilla for. As the Queen and DoE are getting older, Charles and Camilla have been picking up the slack (as has Anne, Edward and Andrew). William and Kate will pick up the slack from them as well as the Gloucesters and the Kents.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Right, official duties for her...Catherine...one cannot just conclude that she should be a fill in for the Queen...again what appropriate/relevant duties should a newly wed wife of the eldest son, a serving officer of the RAF, of the heir to the throne perform? I think the answer is more detailed than just "Oh, here's an empty spot...put her name down"...

I don't see why she should be doing anything until after April 29th.
Afterwards, I would hope and expect that Kate will be given the appropriate patronages, and duties relevant to her interests.

By the way, where did CrownPrincess5 say she should fill in for QE2?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Lady Ann's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IN THE CITY, United States
Posts: 857
If what this article says is true they will not have royal duties for a while......


William, Kate to stay out of public life for two years
__________________
Lady Ann
Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face…~ George Eliot ~
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't see why she should be doing anything until after April 29th.
Afterwards, I would hope and expect that Kate will be given the appropriate patronages, and duties relevant to her interests.

By the way, where did CrownPrincess5 say she should fill in for QE2?
She did not say that specifically, but I think it rather was CrownPrincess5's syntax that led Sherlock to make the comment about Catherine becoming a "fill in" for the Queen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
The Queen herself turns down hundreds of engagements each year...so I think if they wanted to they could most definitely find something for Kate IMO.
It can come across as if something for Catherine to do should not be that difficult to find from the engagements that the Queen has turned down. Kind of like when an actor/tress mentions in an interview that a certain role has been offered to him/her after actor/tress xxx turned it down.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie HighGoalHighDreams The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family 1606 06-24-2014 12:59 PM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]