The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
What does that have to do with what I said?
You suggest that The Queen will not become personally involved with the progression of Catherine as a royal spouse due to generation divide as well as custom...I believe

I am suggesting that The Queen will become personally involved despite the generational divide and despite custom due to the important roles William and Catherine will have in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If Sophie recieved no guidance, I don't see why Kate would recieve any.

Because Sophie is not expected to someday be the Queen Consort...

Old 01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Because Sophie is not expected to someday be the Queen Consort...
Diana was expected to be the future Queen, she never recieved any training.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That is why I said what I said. She never gave Diana any advice or whatsoever, so because she didn't do it with Diana it is certain she won't do it with Catherine either?
Aka history will repeat itself?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You suggest that The Queen will not become personally involved with the progression of Catherine as a royal spouse due to generation divide as well as custom...I believe

I am suggesting that The Queen will become personally involved despite the generational divide and despite custom due to the important roles William and Catherine will have in the future

I did not suggest, or did not mean to suggest, that the Queen will not become personally involved with Catherine's royal progression.
I just meant to suggest that, as how I see it, the Queen will not be her primary source for advice and such, not like how she should have been for Diana and Sarah. Catherine will have her husband for that.

And Diana and Sarah, as wives of Charles and Andrew, were much left on their own because their husbands had their own careers (Sarah/Andrew) or didn't really know how to deal with things (Diana/Charles).

In that respect I think Catherine will not be left on her own in the same way, I think William will be much more supportive and he appears to already being so.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
That is why I said what I said. She never gave Diana any advice or whatsoever, so because she didn't do it with Diana it is certain she won't do it with Catherine either?
I don't see any reason why it would change?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I don't see any reason why it would change?
All I can say (again) is that people can learn from their mistakes and want to do it better next time.
Not saying it is so in this case, but it could be.

The only person able to answer this question is the Queen herself and she won't ever do that.

What happens in that field concerning Catherine and the Queen remains to be seen, imo.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
And that is why I said what I said also...she, The Queen, will do everything she can to have history not repeat itself...hence the personal involvement with Catherine's progression

Consider it wisdom in her old age, the 80's (Catherine) vs. the 50's (Diana)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Are you saying that because the Queen didn't get involved with Diana's progression into being a Princess, that resulted in the divorce and the tragedies that went with it. Because that's absurd.
The Queen didn't get involved with Sarah, Diana or Sophie no matter who they were married to and you can't blame two failed marriages on the Queen.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Okay...its time to move on.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Are you saying that because the Queen didn't get involved with Diana's progression into being a Princess, that resulted in the divorce and the tragedies that went with it. Because that's absurd.
The Queen didn't get involved with Sarah, Diana or Sophie no matter who they were married to and you can't blame two failed marriages on the Queen.

No I'm not...moving on

Catherine's role for the next year or so should be primarily participation in as many royal events as possible...Trooping the Colour, garden parties, Royal Ascot, etc.

Also some appearances at small venues on behalf of the Queen say three or four a month...
Old 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Courtier

Much of what Catherine will do after the wedding remains to be seen. She has been an amazingly private public girlfriend and is imo still very much so, even though now engaged. I think she should be allowed to grow into her role, not be thrown into the pond.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Courtier

Wow.........
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

We all learn by observing and so will Kate. I just think she will be less than enthusiastic about royal work. William is also not enthusiastic about royal work, so if they turn out to be a matched pair, we may never see them after the wedding!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Much of what Catherine will do after the wedding remains to be seen. She has been an amazingly private public girlfriend and is imo still very much so, even though now engaged. I think she should be allowed to grow into her role, not be thrown into the pond.
Perhaps you are correct...garden parties maybe a bit too burdensome for a rookie
Old 01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
We all learn by observing and so will Kate. I just think she will be less than enthusiastic about royal work. William is also not enthusiastic about royal work, so if they turn out to be a matched pair, we may never see them after the wedding!!!
With the Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics both being held next year I highly doubt if any member of the royal family, including William and Catherine, would be allowed to not participate in a sensible amount of both formal and non-formal duties.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
With the Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics both being held next year I highly doubt if any member of the royal family, including William and Catherine, would be allowed to not participate in a sensible amount of both formal and non-formal duties.
Other than QEII and Prince Charles appearing at the opening ceremony, I don't see why any other royals would be there unless is a private capacity.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

Right- and I think the point trying to be made us the Queen may act differently then she did with Diana because if the lessons learned from Dianas lack of support, please correct me if this was not the attempted point

Edit- never mind I see this was addressed in later posts :)
Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Who are "all the prior royal brides"? Diana and Sarah?
Diana, Sarah, Sophie...as well as the grooms of Snowden, Phillips and Lawrence. She just let them 'get on with it'. Also, because William and Kate have been together many years, I would think they will have a baby soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Courtier

Catherine's most important duty

After their wedding, the most important duty for William and Catherine is to build a strong marriage. After the last 30 years of divorce and scandal, the future of the Monarchy is at stake. Think of it- three out of four of the Queen's children have had unhappy marriages, all with at least some scandal attached.

It seems likely that 30 or more years will go by before William becomes King. And if those 30 are also filled with messy private lives which become public, support for the Monarchy will lag.

It is fortuitous that William's career will keep the newlyweds somewhat isolated for the next few years. The privacy will allow the couple to figure out what marriage means and how to make theirs a strong one. It doesn't matter how many years they have been cohabiting- adjusting to marriage is complex.

Making their marriage a real one, and (probably) starting a 'happy family' is far more important than shaking hands and serving as a patron for various charities. Catherine is young and lovely, and her Prince adores her. For the next few years, that should be enough. She and he have many decades to shake hands and serve as patrons for dozens of charities. No doubt they will assume some royal duties almost immediately, but they shouldn't be expected or encouraged to do hundreds of events a year right away.

Preserving the monarchy is their foremost duty. And we should keep in mind that both William and Henry are engaged in inherently dangerous occupations. G-d forbid that either or both of them should come to harm. Can you say, "King Andrew and Queen Sarah" ?

(Yes, I know that Sarah and Andrew are divorced, but they are not totally detached from one another.)
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Other than QEII and Prince Charles appearing at the opening ceremony, I don't see why any other royals would be there unless is a private capacity.
I do think William & Catherine will make an appearance at least at some soccer events and not just to watch the games given his role.

For the Jubilee I doubt if there won't be a parade or a concert or perhaps a dinner that their presence will be requested...

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles