The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I feel sure that she has some ideas about what areas interest her and has let CH know but that she won't start doing anything for some time.

I wouldn't be surprised if she does disappear to Wales for the next three years or so and we only see her at major royal events and with William.
Iluvbertie, I definitely agree with you about the couple's royal role for the next three years. Maybe, in the first or second year Catherine will become pregnant because of her age.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Iluvbertie, I definitely agree with you about the couple's royal role for the next three years. Maybe, in the first or second year Catherine will become pregnant because of her age.
Because of her age, she's 29?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Because of her age, she's 29?
Yes, because of her age. Lumutqueen the heir of the heir needs to have an heir too.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Majesty

I think that is part of the 'timing' thing about getting married now - they want to start a family.

They have done the living together to get to know you phase and now it is time to start the family and ensure the direct line succession.

A good time too with the York girls approaching the end of their education it opens up clear reasons why they can live more normal lives as the succession will be secure for the next generation.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I feel sure that she has some ideas about what areas interest her and has let CH know but that she won't start doing anything for some time.

I wouldn't be surprised if she does disappear to Wales for the next three years or so and we only see her at major royal events and with William.
I think 3 years is rather overboard. A certain grace period following the wedding will no doubt be allowed, but if she doesn't show herself as actively taking part and learning the ropes. she will face a tremendous amount of criticism from the public and the media, which William and the RF certainly wouldn't want. She will be expected to shadow William in his royal duties and charitable work, and she will of course be expected to attend most Royal events. I imagine she may also pop up without William in certain cases with other Royal members. The point is that we won't know until Clarence House or BP deems it necessary to inform the public.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I think 3 years is rather overboard. A certain grace period following the wedding will no doubt be allowed, but if she doesn't show herself as actively taking part and learning the ropes. she will face a tremendous amount of criticism from the public and the media, which William and the RF certainly wouldn't want. She will be expected to shadow William in his royal duties and charitable work, and she will of course be expected to attend most Royal events. I imagine she may also pop up without William in certain cases with other Royal members. The point is that we won't know until Clarence House or BP deems it necessary to inform the public.
I think that one of the charities that Kate will continue to support is the Starlight Children's Foundation which she has been linked with several times in the past. Along with shadowing William on the royal duties that he does and perhaps starting a family, that sounds like a pretty full life to me. Both the summers of 2011 and 2012 are going to be very busy ones and we'll see Kate quite often with the entire BRF.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gudgeon View Post
IMO, she hasn't even had a "real" job since graduating...
I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to say that if anyone thinks working for your father is not a real job and just a sinecure- they've never done worked for their father! Other than that, I do believe Catherine has certainly had plenty of time to develop her interests. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she hasn't already done this and is just waiting till after the marriage to get on with it. Maybe not full time at first, but certainly gradually.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think that one of the charities that Kate will continue to support is the Starlight Children's Foundation which she has been linked with several times in the past. Along with shadowing William on the royal duties that he does and perhaps starting a family, that sounds like a pretty full life to me. Both the summers of 2011 and 2012 are going to be very busy ones and we'll see Kate quite often with the entire BRF.
Yes, she has been involved with the Starlight Childrens Foundation, and I have read that she would like to continue after she is married. This would be a good "first" charity for her to patron as a Royal.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying in regards to Kate's future duties. I don't think the public will excuse her from attending duties due to her having children.

As for the Starlight Foundation..I believe that William is the royal patron for that event. I could be wrong about the patron part but I do believe that he is involved with the foundation.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
You know it really doesn't whether she thought about which charities she became involved with, or would like to become involved once William proposed and they are married. The reality is she is going to accompany William in a supportive role in his charity work until she gains the experience of a "Royal" and is confident enough to take on her own charities, just as Camilla did. She will no doubt receive some coaching on public speaking as well during this time.

It is unreasonable to expect her to immediately choose charities and begin working as a patron as soon as the honeymoon is over. It won't happen, and it isn't realistic.
Since it hasn't happened yet - and won't for 4 more months - I don't think you can say what is "reality" and what and will happen any more than I can (unless and until we are officially told by the RF). I was simply stating my opinion of what I'd like to see happen, which I think I'm entitled to. I'm sure she will shadow PW for a while but there should be nothing stopping her from doing her own thing as well, IMO.

All I stated is that I feel she's had enough time to figure out what she wants to do after she gets married and I hope to see her jump in and get to work right away. I don't think it's unreasonable or unrealistic at all to have given some thought and planning to your life after the churchbells stop ringing. Especially when you will be judged by several countries worth of people whose queen you will someday be - I think their opinions would matter to her. And I completely agree with what you said about facing a tremendous amount of criticism if she isn't seen to be making an effort...I guess I just don't think that only shadowing PW will be enough to save her from the critics, but maybe I'm being overly concerned and people/media will be more generous (especially, IMO, if she gets pregnant right away).
Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
As for the Starlight Foundation..I believe that William is the royal patron for that event. I could be wrong about the patron part but I do believe that he is involved with the foundation.
William is not involved in the Starlight Foundation, Kate is the one who is involved with it. The Royal Patron for the foundation is Princess Alexandra.

Kate attended a charity event a few years ago and a young girl was granted a wish by the Starlight Foundation to sing for the audience. That's how Kate became involved with the foundation, she then got Party Pieces to support the foundation and each year since Party Pieces have thrown a party for the Starlight Foundation children, including last year, it's on their website.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gudgeon View Post
Since it hasn't happened yet - and won't for 4 more months - I don't think you can say what is "reality" and what and will happen any more than I can (unless and until we are officially told by the RF). I was simply stating my opinion of what I'd like to see happen, which I think I'm entitled to. I'm sure she will shadow PW for a while but there should be nothing stopping her from doing her own thing as well, IMO.

All I stated is that I feel she's had enough time to figure out what she wants to do after she gets married and I hope to see her jump in and get to work right away. I don't think it's unreasonable or unrealistic at all to have given some thought and planning to your life after the churchbells stop ringing. Especially when you will be judged by several countries worth of people whose queen you will someday be - I think their opinions would matter to her. And I completely agree with what you said about facing a tremendous amount of criticism if she isn't seen to be making an effort...I guess I just don't think that only shadowing PW will be enough to save her from the critics, but maybe I'm being overly concerned and people/media will be more generous (especially, IMO, if she gets pregnant right away).
I agree with what you are saying. That is why I am questioning how long this shadowing bit will take. If she can at least do public speaking then in her case she is good to go. I say this because she knows how to deal with the media and the family.

Kate could very well decide to take on a supporting role. For example: only going out with William and deciding to take on very few if any events on her own.

As for the pregnancy I have a feeling people are just going to say that all she wanted to do was marry a royal and then secure her position by having a child. I say secure her position because if they had no children and they got a divorce we would probably not see much of Kate because there would not be much linking her to the family.

I personally would prefer her to wait on having a child but

Thanks Charlotte for the information on the Starlight Foundation. I knew that a member of the family was the royal patron but I assumed it was William because he attended a Starlight event once.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 AM
Heir Apparent

She probably did some public speaking as part of her degree. Doing presentations is often part of the course work. I'd be more than happy to see her doing appearances with William. I expect that the first time we'll see a lot of her is when the summer social season starts with Trooping the Colour, the Garter Service, and Royal Ascot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
If she can at least do public speaking then in her case she is good to go. I say this because she knows how to deal with the media and the family.

Kate could very well decide to take on a supporting role. For example: only going out with William and deciding to take on very few if any events on her own.

A
Old 01-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Nobility

and Mermaid you forgot all the events around Prince Philip birthday. He is 90th this coming June.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There's not going to be much around Prince Phillips birthday, a service of thanksgiving and a private dinner.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
There's not going to be much around Prince Phillips birthday, a service of thanksgiving and a private dinner.
About the same as for Trooping the Colour and the Garter (actually more than the Garter as there will probably be a procession to the Abbey and back again and a balcony appearance).

Ascot is just three or four carriage processions and not much else.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'd still expect there to be more photos at those events than Prince Phillips birthday.
A balcony appearance, really?

If Kate doesn't appear except at Williams side or at official events in the next 3 or 4 years, I'll be seriously dissappointed and I think the public will as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I'd still expect there to be more photos at those events than Prince Phillips birthday.

If Kate doesn't appear except at Williams side or at official events in the next 3 or 4 years, I'll be seriously dissappointed and I think the public will as well.

I am sure that the Queen would like a Balcony appearance for Philip alone - to allow the population show him how appreciated he really is although it is only a week or so after Trooping the Colour so maybe not.

I would expect more photos from a church service with a procession rather than simply a procession and balcony appearance as we actually get to see the royals as the focus of the service for an hour or so compared to the Trooping of the Colour where the photos are really the relatively short balcony appearance.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm sure she would like one, however since Philip has shown that he doesn't really want a birthday bash having a balcony appearance doesn't seem likely either.

Whatever happens Kate is going to be photographed a lot this year.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Well said. So what does everyone think her role should be? I imagine sticking pretty closely to William. I am not trying to start a Charles and Camilla discussion but...they are a good example. Camilla has some individual charities that she is a part of but her main role is to be by Charles' side. I suspect that is how Kate will do things as well. Her primary focus will be as a support system for William and his charities.

Do you think that the public will be all right with her if she just acts as a support system for William with few interest of her own? On the other hand the public could just think as long as they do some work and the marriage is all right then good to go? I am wondering what the public would consider an acceptable workload for a member of the family. I know Princess Anne works a lot but she is a more experienced member of the family. Just curious as to the opinions.

Tags
charities, charity, duchess of cambridge, duties, kate, kate middleton, roles