The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: January 2014-February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet that the month birth date will be announced short before or after the state visit!

It is a good news if she is better. When is the birth due? What month?

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h 1 hour ago

Kate had to pull out of visit to Sir Ben Ainslie's HQ in Portsmouth today because she is still suffering acute morning sickness (HG)

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h 1 hour ago

Kate had to pull out of visit to Sir Ben Ainslie's HQ in Portsmouth today because she is still suffering acute morning sickness (HG)

She does seem to really be suffering, hope she is better soon.

Well, we already knew she pulled out of today's engagement since last week. Hopefully she's getting better now.

Why must the media continually misname her illness. Equating hyperemesis gravidarum to acute morning sickness, is like equating Crohn's Disease to a pesky case of diarrhea. Ignorant and Insensitive

Why must the media continually misname her illness. Equating hyperemesis gravidarum to acute morning sickness, is like equating Crohn's Disease to a pesky case of diarrhea. Ignorant and Insensitive

Well said. Another great analogy I recently read was that calling HG 'morning sickness' is like referring to pneumonia as a cold. It completely undermines the gravity of the illness. If nothing else, Kate suffering this horrible condition is shining a huge spotlight on it and creating a public discussion. With any luck, it'll lead to a better overall understanding of it. Perhaps after this pregnancy, Kate might want to dedicate some of her time and role to championing causes which affect pregnant women. I think she would make a fantastic advocate!

I do not think it is necessarily a case of misnaming the illness, it is a case of describing the illness adequately enough without having to use the latin name. Unless one has had the misfortune of suffering from the illness or is familiar with Latin, the name will simply mean nothing.
Imagine the Queen cancelling an engagement on account of having nasopharyngitis, rhinopharyngitis or acute coryza - few people would realise she was suffering from a common cold.
My question is, is there another name that can be used for hyperermesis gravidarum or a way to describe it adequately enough?

Well said. Another great analogy I recently read was that calling HG 'morning sickness' is like referring to pneumonia as a cold. It completely undermines the gravity of the illness. If nothing else, Kate suffering this horrible condition is shining a huge spotlight on it and creating a public discussion. With any luck, it'll lead to a better overall understanding of it. Perhaps after this pregnancy, Kate might want to dedicate some of her time and role to championing causes which affect pregnant women. I think she would make a fantastic advocate!

What better choice of a spokeswoman for this issue than one that has already been there, done that and embraced the porcelain goddess twice so far.

I agree and would add that morning sickness is a lousy name for the mild version - as people experience it at odd times of day as well as in the morning. The conditions need a complete PR makeover! ;)

I think it would be great if she went on to champion causes that deal with illnesses expectant mothers go through. I think it depends on how comfortable she is talking about it.

It does sound as if Catherine has a rather serious case of HG as she has been pulling out of a number of royal engagements (the Malta tour and a couple more engagements after that, IIRC). I hope she gets well soon as what she is going through at the moment can't be that fun at all.

I do think she (and William, for that matter) should be seen working more, but as she is rather ill at the moment I will cut her some slack. I'm looking forward into her next public appearance.

I think it would be great if she went on to champion causes that deal with illnesses expectant mothers go through. I think it depends on how comfortable she is talking about it.

Absolutely. If she never wanted to revisit it again, I wouldn't blame her. If she was comfortable with it though, she could do a world of good! :)

I think it would be great for her to take up the HG cause... After all it would be something that she has really experienced...Sadly I think she will not

:previous: What miss whirley said.
I imagine Catherine would much prefer schmoozing with Ben Ainslie and toasting the president of Singapore to suffering with an illness that sometimes kills babies (and their mothers). And why shouldn't the press call HG what it is rather than morning sickness? Almost everyone has access to a computer or a library or a knowledgable friend if they don't know what it is.

It does sound as if Catherine has a rather serious case of HG as she has been pulling out of a number of royal engagements (the Malta tour and a couple more engagements after that, IIRC). I hope she gets well soon as what she is going through at the moment can't be that fun at all.

I do think she (and William, for that matter) should be seen working more, but as she is rather ill at the moment I will cut her some slack. I'm looking forward into her next public appearance.
Hoping that as she moves into her second trimester that she'll finally have some relief.

I think it would be great for her to take up the HG cause... After all it would be something that she has really experienced...Sadly I think she will not
Does one of the other royal ladies already cover pre-natal conditions or maternity care? HG is not that common. If they do could this be seen as "poaching" from one of their causes?

Hoping that as she moves into her second trimester that she'll finally have some relief.

I sincerely hope so too. As bad as the HG was when she was pregnant with George, I really have to commend her pluck to even contemplate having another child. One thing I definitely think is that home and family are one of W&K's top priorities and it means enough to Kate to willingly go through this all again with a second child. A lot of women would not have that kind of stamina.

Right now I'm wishing her a very healthy appetite, to be able to eat and actually enjoy the benefits from the meal and perhaps some very odd cravings to send William out for a 3 am. :D

Does one of the other royal ladies already cover pre-natal conditions or maternity care? HG is not that common. If they do could this be seen as "poaching" from one of their causes?

I'm not sure, but the other Royal I could think of who might advocate causes like that already is Sophie. Didn't she experience a difficult birth which almost killed her and her daughter? I know very little about her situation so I apologise if I'm inaccurate in my post.

She did and not only that she'd faced an ectopic pregnancy prior to having Louise.

Wow! That's awful! Glad both she and Louise were/are okay.

Yes they were very fortunate. On top of that drama, Louise came early and her father was out of the country in Maritius on an official visit. It took some time before he could be reunited with them. Louise had to be flown to a different hospital which had a higher level NICU.

Yes they were very fortunate. On top of that drama, Louise came early and her father was out of the country in Maritius on an official visit. It took some time before he could be reunited with them. Louise had to be flown to a different hospital which had a higher level NICU.

Wow. I didn't know any of that! Thanks for the information.

I had HG and I can assure you it is hell. I had it for the full 9 months and didn't gain my first pound till my 17th week. To top it off I was quite thin at the time 5'5" and 105lbs , much like Kate, and all the while I worried that the baby would be alright. In the end I gained 17lbs and had a healthy baby and went through the whole thing again for baby number two.When you want children you endure what you must, I hope she feels better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom