The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Majesty

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 1h
The Duchess of Cambridge giving a speech tonight RT @RE_DailyMail: The Queen's necklace is just exquisite.... pic.twitter.com/Bd6FMwmoJ4

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
1h#DuchessofCambridge "I simply could not be more proud to be its Patron" (of the national portrait gallery.)

@HelloCanada
Kate's stunning Nizam of Hyderabad diamond necklace is on loan from the Queen. pic.twitter.com/SSXjA21PlS

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

And her hair looks fine and curls like that take a lot of work.

Hardly unstyled. The style may not be to everyone's taste, but she definitely has a hairdresser working on her hair.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I wonder when she is going to get a hair stylist because it is clear from this look that she doesn't have one. It looks like she didn't even bother to wash her hair - as it looks very greasy. It hasn't been brushed properly.

This woman seriously needs help in the way she dresses and looks as she is a huge failure in these areas.

As a result the entire look is off as we can't see the necklace which should have been clearly visible.

The see-through nature of the dress also means she should have worn a decent petticoat as seeing her legs through the dress isn't appropriate at an official function for the future Queen.
That dress is fully lined with a ink.dark blue chiffon overlay. Her legs are not visible IMO

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...95_470x958.jpg

The black lining is obvious in this picture.

The hair was obviously curled for the event but the atmosphere in London is very damp and as she never seems to use hairspray its probably dropped. That said, I'd have preferred an "up-do" but I still think she look good.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

The neckline on the dress compliments the beautiful necklace. I wish she'd worn her hair back to set off the jewelry better. The color is a tried and true favorite of hers.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Majesty

Pictures:
The Portrait Gala 2014 at the National Portrait Gallery in central London-
Press Association Images

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Courtier

She needs a hair makeover. Otherwise, very nice
Old 02-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Courtier

Daria_S, so sorry you didn't get to see her in person, but I hope you will in the future. (Just leave the husband at home, they never understand).

I think she looks good. I love the dress and I wish my husband's grandmother had such wonderful jewelry and was generous with it!

Catherine has lovely hair and wearing it loose is a good look for her. With this particular dress and necklace though I think it would have been even more attractive if she had worn her hair up or even half up.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Nobility

Catherine's hair style does a great injustice to the Queen's necklace and Kate's earrings, I'm totally over the 'hair around the face thing" yes a loose chignon or half up and half down would have made her look like the princess she is, not a good look Catherine IMO
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

Love the dress! Definately has a lining..can't imagine the DoC going out in public in anything see thru.

I do wish the hair was more up but it's her style, signature style evidently so I suspect we won't often see it up.

LaRae
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I wonder when she is going to get a hair stylist because it is clear from this look that she doesn't have one. It looks like she didn't even bother to wash her hair - as it looks very greasy. It hasn't been brushed properly.

This woman seriously needs help in the way she dresses and looks as she is a huge failure in these areas.

As a result the entire look is off as we can't see the necklace which should have been clearly visible.

The see-through nature of the dress also means she should have worn a decent petticoat as seeing her legs through the dress isn't appropriate at an official function for the future Queen.
A petticoat?!?! SERIOUSLY?! Have we all time-travelled and I missed it?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate looks a total mess! She shouldn't be allowed to dress herself or organise her own hair styling. She has no idea what is appropriate. If she doesn't have nous to work out that that loose, floppy, unstyled messy hairdo is completely inappropriate for that gown and that class of jewellery, she shouldn't be allowed to wear it. What was HM thinking?!

The dress itself is stunning, and the necklace is stunning, but she is insulting both the gown and the jewels by her hair and her makeup. She doesn't have a clue. What is she doing in that job?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Before everyone gets their own knickers in a twist over Iluvbertie 's usage of petticoat, I believe she was referring to a full-length slip. While petticoat is a more old-fashioned term, it is synonymous with that undergarment. And I have to say that I'm not enthralled by the look, either. The gown and especially that statement necklace should have had a more sophisticated hairstyle to do them justice.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Kate looks a total mess! She shouldn't be allowed to dress herself or organise her own hair styling. She has no idea what is appropriate. If she doesn't have nous to work out that that loose, floppy, unstyled messy hairdo is completely inappropriate for that gown and that class of jewellery, she shouldn't be allowed to wear it. What was HM thinking?!

The dress itself is stunning, and the necklace is stunning, but she is insulting both the gown and the jewels by her hair and her makeup. She doesn't have a clue. What is she doing in that job?

Bad hair does not disqualify her for the job - it's just hair. It isn't life threatening nor will impact on the monarchy.

Just think, if every time one of us had bad hair we lost our job......... and what about people like my husband who has no hair - he'd never have a job.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^ Her apparent inability to work out that she is constantly making mistakes and desperately needs help with hair and makeup and to co-ordinate and complete outfits, and that she also needs assistance with posture and her image generally, and her lack of the good sense to do something about it should count for something though.

This isn't the first time she's demonstrated her lack of innate good sense about her appearance and image.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

write and tell her - not joking. You'll feel better and she might learn if told directly.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Kate's hair has really caused quite the reaction. I didn't realize that it was inappropriate to wear loose curls with a diamond necklace.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would Kate need to wear a petticoat or a slip? From all of the pictures I've seen, there's nothing showing.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Courtier

There nothing wrong with her hair. I don't know what is all the fuss is about.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Nobility

I think she looked fine. The most important thing is she was there as patron.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Aristocracy

I thought she looked fine to, not sure what some are complaining about.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Serene Highness

The only requirement for Kate to get her job was for William to fall in love and marry her. This woman is picked apart by people around the globe every time she leaves her house. The rest of us would have said no way to that kind of scrutiny. However, Kate is talking to a guy wearing a dress with a smile on her face interested in what he is saying.