The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

To Cepe - I can't quote your post at the minute. When Henry returned SKY news and BBC reporters both, in their interviews with him and talking to their respective studios both said he will have go come back and cover (that exact word) for his brother and sister in law when the baby arrives and with William at work.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Catherine is right now doing the only job she is "required" to do and that is to produce an heir....
Sorry but in which century do we live? That was long time ago when the women's role in the royalty was to produce heirs, that was the time when the the king had powers and ruled the country. As I hope you know, that was long time ago, centuries ago in fact.
Since the monarch has no power anymore, the role of the royal family is a bit different, they are suppose to help the country in many ways, representing it abroad and supporting charities at home. I see nothing misplaced in it... afterall, why would they be worth if they did nothing of this? Why would be worth to have an heir if then he/she would serve for nothing??

As to stop work to raise children... She doesn't need to stop to work to raise children, she can perfectly do both at the same time, many royals do and they work much more than Kate.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
To Cepe - I can't quote your post at the minute. When Henry returned SKY news and BBC reporters both, in their interviews with him and talking to their respective studios both said he will have go come back and cover (that exact word) for his brother and sister in law when the baby arrives and with William at work.
Crikey! I expect he's at home right now swotting up on the National Portrait Gallery!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
...She doesn't need to stop to work to raise children, she can perfectly do both at the same time, many royals do and they work much more than Kate.
My take on this is very simple - she is a part-time royal; the other examples (say MAxima and Matilde) are full time. For info, their public diairies show that their workload for February is Maxima 1 event and MAtilde 2

She has been ill, she is recovering and I think that it is great that she is going to be out and about again. Hopefully she can make trips to EACH and to Action on Addiction. Perhaps Liverpool again for the latter, then she might be able to pop into Wales and see William.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Courtier

I am quite sure that Catherine is doing EXACTLY what the Queen, Doctor and her husband want her to do at this time. And really,they are the ONLY people that have a proper say in the matter.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
... have unknowingly been working alongside someone who suffered from HG over Christmas, she was in hospital for longer than Catherine and yet came straight back to work and back to university the day after she was discharged. Yes she's suffering/suffered from HG, and she's supposedly not needed. But come on, the minute Henry returns from Afghanistan he's called straight back to "covering" for his brother and sister in law.
How soon someone with HG returns to work/regular activities depends on a number of things. I imagine Kate and her doctor know what is best for her situation.

Is Harry being forced to cover for them, or is it something he wants to do? In one of the recent interviews, he said he seriously hopes that the media leaves Catherine alone so that she can enjoy some privacy, and time as a mother/mother-to-be. So stepping in for Kate just might be something he really wants (and volunteered) to do.

Anyway, one of the royal reporters said that Catherine will be announcing her new charities very soon, and she's expected to be doing around 2 engagements a month.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
[/B] ...she is a part-time royal; the other examples (say MAxima and Matilde) are full time.
Scroll down to see how many engagements Mathilde has had per year (par année on the right side) De Belgische Monarchie: Home - Archief - Archief - Archief - Archief She has never down than 90 engagements per year. Catherine did over 100 engagements has a part time royal last year.

Even has a part time royal she does more or less the same as those other crown princess.
Aren't most of the BRF coming out of their Christmas/Winter hiatus (in February)?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
[/B]

My take on this is very simple - she is a part-time royal; the other examples (say MAxima and Matilde) are full time. For info, their public diairies show that their workload for February is Maxima 1 event and MAtilde 2
Sure, I don't expect her to do the same amount of engagements the crown princesses do. I was just using the example to say that it is possible to work and raise children at the same time. so the idea that windsor girl expressed of
Quote:
I actually hope she limits her outside work during these early years and really focuses on raising children
sounds a bit fool to me
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Courtier

Not every women is the same, not every pregnancy is the same. People don't react to a disease the same way. I don't get the point of "my friend has the same disorder and she's fine so so and so should be too" comments

Some women don't go back to work when they have HG throughout their pregnancy. For others, they are okay after their 1st trimester. Just because you know someone that has it doesn't make you an expert
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

Probably the wrong thread, but I don't think we will see much of Kate until well after the baby is born.

Think of all she has been through in the last few months - the photos from France, the HG is bad enough, but then the DJ's and that poor nurse, then the unveiling of the portrait. Seems that there's so much hysteria surrounding her that everything becomes some sort of mammoth calamity, and none of it her doing.

Think about going through all that and then being pregnant and knowing you're carrying The Child... The Heir to end all Heirs.

That's too much for anyone, let alone someone pregnant. I think she's home meditating, personally, and I don't think I'd be doing anything different.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Sure, I don't expect her to do the same amount of engagements the crown princesses do. I was just using the example to say that it is possible to work and raise children at the same time.
It's always interesting to read discussions about the number of engagements that royals do. I never know what counts as enough engagements (especially when dealing with a part-time royal). Do we compare the number of engagements that they do, to members of their own family? Or do we compare them to other royals?

As for other crown princesses doing more, I believe Letizia did 183 engagements last year (Kate did 111), yet I don't hear a lot of people calling her lazy or whatever.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I am quite sure that Catherine is doing EXACTLY what the Queen, Doctor and her husband want her to do at this time.
"Want her to do?" I'm sure Catherine takes advice from The Queen and her doctor on health matters etc, but I'm pretty sure she does what she wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Seems that there's so much hysteria surrounding her that everything becomes some sort of mammoth calamity, and none of it her doing. Think about going through all that and then being pregnant and knowing you're carrying The Child... The Heir to end all Heirs.
If she expected anything less than hysteria she was kidding herself.
Heir to end all heirs? Did I miss something?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
...I believe Letizia did 183 engagements last year (Kate did 111), yet I don't hear a lot of people calling her lazy or whatever.
According to the Belgium monarchy website Mathilde did 89 engagements last year. And all I ever year is how hard working Mathilde and the other crown princesses are and how Kate should take note from them.

I don't know what counts as enough engagements for people either. I think it depends on the princess people are talking about. Some of them (Kate) can't win
Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Scroll down to see how many engagements Mathilde has had per year...
So we're in agreement - thank you for the more detailed info.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Sorry but in which century do we live? That was long time ago when the women's role in the royalty was to produce heirs...
We live in a time of political correctness, but humans are still humans and of course we all expect her to have children - and of course expects the royal family them to produce kids.

To presume otherwise might be political correct and very 20th century, but not very real.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
According to the Belgium monarchy website Mathilde did 89 engagements last year...
Thanks for that info, miche! I think you're right about it depending on the princess, and that some can never win.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I have unknowingly been working alongside someone who suffered from HG over Christmas, she was in hospital for longer than Catherine and yet came straight back to work and back to university the day after she was discharged. Yes she's suffering/suffered from HG, and she's supposedly not needed. But come on, the minute Henry returns from Afghanistan he's called straight back to "covering" for his brother and sister in law.
Something that most, if not all, obstetricians tell their patients is not to listen to the tales of other womens' experiences during pregnancy, because each one is different.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:

"Want her to do?" I'm sure Catherine takes advice from The Queen and her doctor on health matters etc, but I'm pretty sure she does what she wants.
Knowing people from that specific social register, I sincerely believe that Catherine does not do exactly what she wants whenever she wants. She will think each occasion over extremely well before acting and seek advise on the situation. She is not a silly child and does not want to put a foot wrong. Can't blame her as her life will always be under a microscope, much more than even CP of other countries. God bless her for taking on the role, I certainly couldn't live like that [especially at that age] but she is doing a really nice and pleasant job.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
. She is not a silly child and does not want to put a foot wrong.
So doing what you want makes you a silly child does it? Whilst I doubt she wants to put a foot wrong, she's not totally stupid and had the ability to think oh god this would look bad or this wouldn't suit as a royal patronage let's not go there without checking every detail of her day with her grandmother in law.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
We live in a time of political correctness, but humans are still humans and of course we all expect her to have children - and of course expects the royal family them to produce kids.

To presume otherwise might be political correct and very 20th century, but not very real.
Sorry, I don't understand that part.. what does political correctness have to do with the opinion I expressed?

And, of course, we all expect her to have children but is it the only thing we expect from her?