The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness

Instead if thinking of taking on more patronages to visit them once a year, how about dedicatig a little more time to this?

EACH@EACH_hospicesWe're very sorry to say that we've decided to cancel our Clothes Swap event in Bury St Edmunds on 8th Feb due to low ticket sales

Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Majesty

I'm sure the EACH staff, Catherine and her aides would've done something about this if they could. The Duchess of Cambridge is briefed by daily and weekly and meetings are held on her charities of which she's royal patron. The palace just said that HRH is pretty busy with meetings.

That's too bad they had to cancel that event though.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is she really busy with meetings?? It's getting a bit dificult to believe it ... but let's assume she is. Why are they not made public? Isn't one of her roles to make the charities known to the public? Raise awarness, raise funds, etc, etc. Sure, she can visit the charities without it being made public, she can be in constant contact with the charities and we'll never know about it, but shouldn't she visit them more often? to me it's clear she should and could if she wished so... she's not a patron of many charities after all. How many times has she visited EACH? Once, i think... She could do much more for her charities and this is an example, she could announce that she would be at the Clothes Swap event, I'm sure many people would turn up just to see her. Or instead visit the charity and say something like "Look, there'll be an event on February, why don't you come?" I'm sure some people would turn up, people from the region who would go just for curiosity
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Courtier

How many times do these other royals visit their charity each year?
Didn't she just sent them a baby basket for charity? Did she visited their place during her Asian tour #Each

Did her Doctors say she can go back to work yet after her Hyperemesis gravidarum? Some people (journalist) are acting like they know what her health is just because she went to a gas station, the gap and a drug store.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Serene Highness

^It´s a very strage Hyperemesis gravidatum if you ask me, one that allows her to hand in an award on TV and attend the opening of her portrait, but not do ANY work for 2 months complete.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Until everyone was sure she is well, no engagements would have been organised. This is out of consideration for the places to be visited. IT takes a lot of organisation, plus security etc for a visit to take place, so cancelling is wasteful of a lot of people's time and effort.

Now the Duchess is feeling well, her staff will be organising meetings but, again, these take time - particularly sorting out diairies, arranging security, etc. It's all very well saying "do it" but people and places need to be available. It isn't just her diary that needs to be accommodated.

If people took time out to realise what organisation these meetings take by ALL concerned, perhaps there would be less negativity.

I'm just pleased that she is now well.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Majesty

The palace just said that The Duchess of Cambridge is busy working and will start up her official engagements soon.

Members of the royal family usually start back performing official engagements in February (depending on the schedualing). Like The Queen will kick off her year of official engagements on Feb 5th, before returning to London.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Serene Highness

She was going to Christmas lunches in December as well so obviously has been feeling better for quite some time. I would also think that going shopping would be more tiring than visiting one of her charities for perhaps an hour. It's all a bit strange.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
She was going to Christmas lunches in December as well so obviously has been feeling better for quite some time. I would also think that going shopping would be more tiring than visiting one of her charities for perhaps an hour. It's all a bit strange.
These are informal meetings that if she was feeling unwell, she could leave. Setting up formal meetings which could involve 10's of people (ie a hospital or hospice visit) is a lot of organising on both sides, and a lot a disappointment if it is cancelled. OR of course she could stay and throw up over everyone

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
^It´s a very strage Hyperemesis gravidatum if you ask me, one that allows her to hand in an award on TV and attend the opening of her portrait, but not do ANY work for 2 months complete.
She was only at the ceremony for about 45 minutes, so she didn't spend much time at the event.

She took a few months off to take care of herself, and she's now back to her daily meetings with advisors and her charities. According to the Palace, they're working out her schedule and she should be back to public duties in February.

Quote:
A private lunch is much different than a charity event. If she gets sick while dining with friends/family/employees, she can leave or cancel. Much trickier with a public engagement.

As for shopping, hasn't it only been in the last few weeks that she's been spotted out and about? Before that, things were pretty quiet. Now that she's back to work (behind the scenes) and feeling much better, I imagine we'll see her resume normal activities - like shopping, getting coffee, having dinner with family, etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
It's been known that Catherine often visit her charities privately and she's in constant contact with them. Her diary is being arranged within these meetings.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
She was only at the ceremony for about 45 minutes, so she didn't spend much time at the event.

She took a few months off to take care of herself, and she's now back to her daily meetings with advisors and her charities. According to the Palace, they're working out her schedule and she should be back to public duties in February.

She never stays for more than 1 hour when she visits a charity. And since when HG is an excuse for women to stop working? Pregnant women do not get 3 months off work for HG, (yes in February when she´s back it will be 3 months), and you can hardly call what she does work. So make all the excuses you want for her. I have the right to believe the palace has made a statement that she visits her charities in "private" because all this situation is getting a bit ridiculous and the criticism is increasing. Not twits about her private visits but a lot on her shoppings.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
She never stays for more than 1 hour when she visits a charity. And since when HG is an excuse for women to stop working? Pregnant women do not get 3 months off work for HG, (yes in February when she´s back it will be 3 months), and you can hardly call what she does work. So make all the excuses you want for her. I have the right to believe the palace has made a statement that she visits her charities in "private" because all this situation is getting a bit ridiculous and the criticism is increasing. Not twits about her private visits but a lot on her shoppings.
Give her a break. Her condition was severe enough to land her in a hospital, so that alone should say something. I'm sure if a 'regular' person had the same exact thing, more than likely she would get time off from her job. Maybe not three months, but several weeks for sure. I know that my job allows for extended medical leave, and I'd imagine that Catherine's condition would be a good enough reason to take advantage of something like that. I won't even touch your comment about Catherine's work not being work, because that's just ridiculous. Working with people is work, and a stressful work at that. Trust me on that, I do it every single day, and when I come home, I want to sit in peace and quiet and not talk to a soul (at least not in person).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She never stays for more than 1 hour when she visits a charity.
You are wrong Caring Kate visits EACH | Cambridge News | Health | Family
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Nobility

I never understand why people feel the need to criticize what people. No she doesn't have the same kind of job the average people do, but a job is anything that requires some amount of work. She meets with her charities, visits them privately, and organizes her schedule while taking care of whatever home needs he has and flying or driving back and forth to Wales and London and whatever else her patronages are. I think people need to back off and frankly mind their own business besides HG comes and goes. One day she may feel fine an the next bad. I don't think it's our business to worry about what she does on her downtime or whether what she does is a real job by our standards.

She's coming back sometime in February and in the meantime is organizing her schedule and meeting with her charities.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Is it just me, or does one assume that the only people who could accurately guage how severe her illness is or was, would be Catherine and her doctors? Unless of course, I missed something. Has her medical records been released to the general public. No need for a true discussion that will throw the thread off topic but hopefully, the masses get my point.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but there have been 3 to 5 (maybe 10 max) sightings of Catherine since her illness was announced. That hardly qualifies as shopping all the time and just lazing around and not doing any duties.

But I guess if one is looking for faults than one will find fault.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
But I guess if one is looking for faults than one will find fault.
Exactly. And there are some who really, really seem to enjoy looking for fault.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
I'd say HG is more than just an "excuse" for a woman to stop working. It's a condition that has serious consequences if not treated. And yes, many women have taken time off work due to HG. Some have even had to take the entire pregnancy off due to it.

I know times may vary depending on the event, but I was under the impression that royals usually spend about 1.5-2 hours at each engagement. Whatever the case, she and her doctor obviously felt that she wasn't physically ready to take on public duties until February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Also, correct me if I am wrong but there have been 3 to 5 (maybe 10 max) sightings of Catherine since her illness was announced. That hardly qualifies as shopping all the time and just lazing around and not doing any duties.
Yep, I pointed that out too. There haven't been many sightings of her until recently.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I'd say HG is more than just an "excuse" for a woman to stop working. It's a condition that has serious consequences if not treated. And yes, many women have taken time off work due to HG. Some have even had to take the entire pregnancy off due to it.

I know times may vary depending on the event, but I was under the impression that royals usually spend about 1.5-2 hours at each engagement. Whatever the case, she and her doctor obviously felt that she wasn't physically ready to take on public duties until February.

Yep, I pointed that out too. There haven't been many sightings of her until recently.
I think Charles and Camilla did a visit to the Tube today in support of the 150 Anniversary of the transit system, I think the event was about an hour. So...Catherine isn't starting something new.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Majesty

I think we also have to remember that members of the royal family do a great deal of things behind the scenes. They are always busy with meetings and with their aides arranging their official diaries. So just because you may not see them on public engagements does not mean they are just laying about and being lazy.

I'm also sure more charity announcements will be coming. Also, the Cambridges work around their military life.