The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think what she chose reflects her interests and passions, and as someone pointed out, there's little to no glamour in any of the causes. I think Catherine will take the 'hands-on' approach and these causes will definitely allow her to do so. There's nothing like visiting/working with a sick/severely disabled child, or going to a camping trip with a group of eight-year-olds. Again, this reflects on her kind and caring personality. She's very lucky to be able to use her passions to make a difference.
Exactly,I feel the same & I wish her good luck with her new work!Iīm sure she wonīt disappoint,she will do great as always and be able to light up the world for some of the people she is helping.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

YAY! Looking forward to some great discussions about what will hopefully be a lot of great and interesting work for her. Can't wait for her first solo engagements in support of these organizations.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Aristocracy

Very worthy causes. I am sure that she will be an inspiration for many young professionals to increase their philanthropic undertakings in the future.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Serene Highness

Am I the only one who can't wait to see Kate in the Scouting Uniform? :oD

I wonder what she'll be doing w/the National Portrait Gallery though? Perhaps concentrating on helping in various restoration projects, both hands on and also fundraising. As a BA in Art History, she has the background/training to do more than just fundraise for the NPG after all.

Just thinking out loud. :o)
Old 01-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post

I wonder what she'll be doing w/the National Portrait Gallery though? Perhaps concentrating on helping in various restoration projects, both hands on and also fundraising. As a BA in Art History, she has the background/training to do more than just fundraise for the NPG after all.

Just thinking out loud. :o)
No she doesn't- a BA in art history knows the history of art, but nothing about the delicate science of restoration or the details that go into curating an exhibit- that's much more specialized knowledge.

I'm not trying to disparage the Duchess in any way- I think she'll do very good fundraising work for the National Portrait Gallery. But I've read many suggestions over the last year that her BA in Art History means she has the credentials to work on restoration and that's always seemed a dubious claim to me.

To quote the RF's own Diarist, "This is only my opinion and I don't wish to offend"
Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I can see it now - A new Man & Princess vs Wild episode - Kate & Bear with a pack of cub scouts camping on Mt Snowdon. Bear using Kate's engagement ring to focus the sunlight to light a fire. :)
And Kate winking at Bear ans quipping "a good scout always remembers to be prepared. I knew this ring would come in handy".
Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
No she doesn't- a BA in art history knows the history of art, but nothing about the delicate science of restoration or the details that go into curating an exhibit- that's much more specialized knowledge.

I'm not trying to disparage the Duchess in any way- I think she'll do very good fundraising work for the National Portrait Gallery. But I've read many suggestions over the last year that her BA in Art History means she has the credentials to work on restoration and that's always seemed a dubious claim to me.

To quote the RF's own Diarist, "This is only my opinion and I don't wish to offend"
None taken, as I said, I was just thinking out loud. However, I do see Catherine taking on a heavy role in any kind of an event where the NPG is attempting to raise funds for a major restoration project. As the Patron of the NPG, that would be one of her roles as I understand it. It would also be a wonderful way for Catherine to use her Degree to her advantage, as she would be able to explain the importance of the various pieces of art and their relevance to British Culture and Heritage to those attending any such future event.

Or perhaps she might come up w/some manner of a program w/the NPG to try and spark more young people's interest in Art, but in a hip and young way. I remember all too well being sent to our local Art Gallery on a School Field Trip during Public School years and being rather bored out of my skull. Those were different times of course, but even now a trip to an Art Gallery isn't exactly the kind of Field Trip that makes kids jump up and down w/glee. That could be another possible avenue for her to take w/her Patronage of the NPG.

As I said earlier though...I'm just thinking out loud...
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Or perhaps she might come up w/some manner of a program w/the NPG to try and spark more young people's interest in Art, but in a hip and young way. I remember all too well being sent to our local Art Gallery on a School Field Trip during Public School years and being rather bored out of my skull. Those were different times of course, but even now a trip to an Art Gallery isn't exactly the kind of Field Trip that makes kids jump up and down w/glee. That could be another possible avenue for her to take w/her Patronage of the NPG.

As I said earlier though...I'm just thinking out loud...
Now that makes complete sense, and intersects very well with one of her other choices- The Art Room.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Majesty

Some more articles dealing with Catherine's charities of choice.

The charities chosen by the Duchess of Cambridge - Telegraph

Duchess of Cambridge to be a Scout leader as well as patron of four charities - Telegraph

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
She already did, many years ago
Kate joins the Scouts: Ex-Brownie to help with cooking and campfires as package of royal patronages is unveiled | Mail Online
Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I'm glad that, from what little we know so far, she appears to be going for patronages which aren't particularly glamorous. By that I mean, it's easy to go to Africa, hold a starving child for a few pictures and slope off again. Similarly with puppies and kittens. Addiction is certainly not a glamorous topic and yet it has an absolutely enormous impact on society.
It reminds me some of the charities supported by their wedding fund, Beatbullying and Venture Trust. Not very glamourous but so necessary. I had been very impressed by such a choice, and I am impressed too by the Duchess of Cambridge's news patronage. It sounds like a very wise choice, something with deep commitment.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Royal Highness

I'm sad that already people commend on the Daily Mail website that it's not enough compared with the queen's patronages... Do they all forget that Catherine is not yet the queen but that the queen won't live forever so that in the future a lot of patronages need new patrons?

I personally like the fact that she chose small charities where she can personally change things for the better because the time will come when she is requested to become only a Royal figurehead to large organizations with no way to really influence the ongoings at those organizations.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Kate chooses five charities ahead of milestone birthday
Kate Middleton charities: The new royal has chosen five to support - hellomagazine.com
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I'm sad that already people commend on the Daily Mail website that it's not enough compared with the queen's patronages... Do they all forget that Catherine is not yet the queen but that the queen won't live forever so that in the future a lot of patronages need new patrons?

I personally like the fact that she chose small charities where she can personally change things for the better because the time will come when she is requested to become only a Royal figurehead to large organizations with no way to really influence the ongoings at those organizations.
Thereīs a saying "Quality,not quantity"-I am happy that she didnīt chose so many charities but a few so that she can truly dedicate herself to these cases in depth instead of patronising a large number of charities and not being able to fully immerse herself in the work.I believe that you canīt do good work if you have too many affiliations and jobs at the same time...
Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Thereīs a saying "Quality,not quantity"-I am happy that she didnīt chose so many charities but a few so that she can truly dedicate herself to these cases in depth instead of patronising a large number of charities and not being able to fully immerse herself in the work.I believe that you canīt do good work if you have too many affiliations and jobs at the same time...
I think the quantity will folllow quite quickly. I am sure this is the first in a series of announcements over the next few years. Camilla gradually built up her portfolio of patronages over the first few years of her married life. My sense is that Catherine will be quite hands on with these charities, and gradually add more. I suspect she will increasingly get involved with some of HM's charities as well, and in time, may start to take some of those over.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nothing against her choices, but I was hoping she'd include something from the Performing Arts.
I hope she'll add more once she gets her feet wet.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
So true; she'll be able to devote more of her time and energy to fewer select groups and do a more comprehensive job than spreading herself out too thin over too many. Kate can always add more as her experience grows. Best of luck to her in her new endeavors; I think she made some good choices and I'm sure she'll acquit herself admirably.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Some tweets from Sky News Royal Reporter Paul Harrison. He had obviously spent the last few days at least visiting these charities and talking to them about Kate.

St James' keen to stress Kate wanted to give something back to Anglesey community as William does - hence Scout volunteering

Kate arrived at the Cambridgeshire hospice and asked lots of questions armed with a portfolio of background reading

while at Cambs hospice, 13 y/o girl Madi grabbed Kate by hand and took her to play room - Kate took off her shoes to play on mats

reckon there'll be lots of dads in North Wales saying "come on son, you know you want to join the cubs."

Richard Palmer of the Daily Express reckons Kate will start her sole engagements within the next month or so.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

And no doubt Cub volunteerism in N. Wales will be going up as well! That's a nice anecdote about Kate kicking off her shoes to join in the play; she really gets into her role with children and that's a very good indication of being totally involved in her role.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Majesty

I found all of these on my twitter, so I'm sharing them with you.

A video from NBC
Duchess Kate

A video from ABC
Kate Middleton to Reveal Supported Charities | Video - ABC News

This is a very touching story, and once again, tells us a great deal about Catherine's character and level of compassion.
Cambridge News | Health-and-Beauty | Family | Caring Kate visits EACH

Some reasoning behind Catherine's choices.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Blogs | Richard Palmer | Royal blog: Why Kate, Duchess of Cambridge chose her charities | Exclusive opinion, news and views from Daily and Sunday Express's top writers

I think for the present, she chose well (and that goes with the amount of charities she chose to support). She can get really involved and not worry about running around all over the place. That will come in a few years, I'm sure. People of course are never satisfied, so the comments in the DM 'Comment' section are not at all surprising.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.