The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
New patronages! Duchess of Cambridge became patron of Natural History Museum, Sportsaid UK and Place2be
Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal10m
#royal St James' Palace: #Kate becomes Patron of 3 new charities: @_Place2Be @TeamSportsAid and @NHM_London (Natural History Museum)
Very exciting news! Can't wait to see what she'll do with these new patronages.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Commoner

great news.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Details of the new charities

1. Narural History museum - they approached her after she opened the new facilities last year

2. Place2be - got to know about this through ActiononAdiction

3. SportAid - how to get children involved and supported before funding can be applied to individuals

Article from the Daily Telegraph. Typical that they lead on Diana

Link to page on their website
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/med...-organisations

Newspaper take on it:-

Duchess of Cambridge walks in Diana's footsteps by becoming Patron of Natural History Museum - Telegraph

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Isn't place2be one of the charities involved in the upcoming Manchester school visit?
Yes it is.
More information
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Finally, the famous announcement was made.
Nice choice of charities. SportsAid really is amazing, the list of wonderful athletes they have supported is great.
The National History Museum is one of my favourite museums. I'm shocked to learn they had no Royal Patron until now.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If this is the 'famous announcement' then it's failed to live up to it's hype. I was expecting 5+ patronages. Not 3.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm distracting myself from all the awfulness going on around my house by being the only positive poster on the Daily Mail article. Totally useless of course- may as well make a logical point to my cat, it would be just as productive.

So many people in there convinced Kate only picks easy charities and focusing on the Natural History Museum pick and ignoring that the other two were a hospice and a children's mental health charity.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Majesty

I try not to focus on the DM comments. They can be so cold and heartless, as if ice runs through their veins.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I'm distracting myself from all the awfulness going on around my house by being the only positive poster on the Daily Mail article. Totally useless of course- may as well make a logical point to my cat, it would be just as productive.

So many people in there convinced Kate only picks easy charities and focusing on the Natural History Museum pick and ignoring that the other two were a hospice and a children's mental health charity.
I've delibrately not gone in there.

I dont suppose anyone explained what a difficult charity is??? ooooh - I know - a hospice

Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Finally, the famous announcement was made.
Nice choice of charities. SportsAid really is amazing, the list of wonderful athletes they have supported is great.
The National History Museum is one of my favourite museums. I'm shocked to learn they had no Royal Patron until now.

I know it's personal bias, but I never can feel that sports are all that important.
I guess they're enjoyable for people who like them, but making them into a patronage?

But I'm glad about the others. I read that Diana was previously the patron for the NH Museum.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I know it's personal bias, but I never can feel that sports are all that important.
I guess they're enjoyable for people who like them, but making them into a patronage?

Well sport and fitness are part of a healthy lifestyle which is generally considered a good thing, especially as more and more children plunk themselves down in front of tv or computers every day and are expected to have a shorter lifespan than their parents or grandparents. Since this sports charity is in support of children and young adults I cannot see how it would be a bad thing especially as it might assist young athletes in achieving results like Team GB in 2012 ( some of the better athletes themselves had benefited from the charity when young including Sir Chris Hoy).
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I guess they're enjoyable for people who like them, but making them into a patronage?.
In many countries around the developed world, the problem of obesity is dire, because it leads to all sorts of diseases, which of course puts a strain on health resources and makes health costs skyrocket because of over utilization.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

But I'm glad about the others. I read that Diana was previously the patron for the NH Museum.
Sports is not only enjoyable for those who watch it but is, like NGalitzine said, part of a healthy lifestyle as well as it promotes skills like team work (when a team sport, obviously) and teaches you things like to be persistent, never give up, try do better every time, etc. Praticing a sport as a part-time activity can be much more important than you may imagine.
Secondly, this charity helps financially young athletes who are in the early stages of their careers. It's not just about promoting sport, is also about awarding hard work and helping people achieve their dreams (go the olympics is for most of these athletes the dream/ambition/goal of their lives). In this, this charity is no different than many others that help people achieve their dreams.
Also, if you look at the list of now sucessfull athletes that were once supported by the charity, it's is impressive: Mo Farah, Rebeca Addlington, Bradley Winggins, etc. These people achieved great things for Team GB in the olympics and would probably never been there if it wasn't the early support of SportsAid. So this charity's work is also an investment in good performances of the country's sportmen, thus, promoting the country.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

One was mental health but no hospice,that is an old patronage. Her third new patronage is funding young athaletes.

Julliette,I was about to say the same thing about sports, took the words from my mouth.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Praticing a sport as a part-time activity can be much more important than you may imagine.
Yes, I do realize sports are important to some people.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Majesty

Live: Duchess of Cambridge's visit to Wythenshawe:
Live blog: Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, visits Willows primary school in Wythenshawe - Manchester Evening News

The Duchess is expected to arrive at around 1pm.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Majesty

Tom Brooks-Pollock ‏@tombrookspolloc 1m
Kate's been presented with a doggy hamper for royal cocker spaniel, lupo, and a posy #wythenshawe #willows #royalvisit

Pictures:
http://twitpic.com/cld7el

https://twitter.com/TueBlue/status/3...018112/photo/1

Tom: Kate's in a closed meeting with counsellors from addiction charity and kids who they counsel #wythenshawe #royalvisit

Kate visits Manchester school:
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-0...hester-school/
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Majesty

Tom: We're just waiting in the school hall where Kate will say a few words about the addiction charity, as will John Bishop

Luisa Baldini ‏@LuisaBaldini1 3m
After her speech #DuchessOfCambridge will plant a willow tree, she will take another away with her to plant at one of the royal residences
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm confused - should these updates on todays events be in the current events thread?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Majesty

I thought since her engagements was dealing with her charities, that the updates belong here.

I thought she did pretty well with her speech. Of course there were a little nerves involved but I think the most important thing is to focus on the purpose of her speech rather than the mistakes made.