The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages 1: 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The headline is to attract attention and get people talking, which is exactly what it has done.

............albeit in a negative way. The paper doesnt like her - that's the truth of it.

I think Catherine is doing a fine job with her charities and helping them highlight their work and goals. I know some people who has suffered from addiction and it can really devastate a family.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 4m
Kate was given a book called "What do Princesses do" and she read out some extracts

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 4m
Kate read from the book: "Eat bananas? Yes I certainly do that. Dancing, yes that too. Eat sweets. Yes I like all those!"

Videos:
Duchess of Cambridge Visits Primary School in Manchester & Duchess of Cambridge Speech at Manchester Primary School:
http://news.itnsource.com/?cat=Royal

Last edited:
............albeit in a negative way. The paper doesnt like her - that's the truth of it.

Papers don't like anyone, they use celebrities, royalty and even joe public to make money. People click on the story because the headline is attention grabbing or for the pictures, and then they read the story. This is an online edition, so they have to do something to up their game. Simple fact is Catherine wore a £1,065 dress to a Manchester school. I don't see any problem in pointing something out that is a fact.

As for her "bump", Catherine isn't showing and she's in her 6 month, people notice and for newspaper's it's another chance to run a "compare" story. I know someone who's 3 weeks away from giving birth and they looks about 4 months gone. Catherine can carry off pregnancy well.

I don't see the point in reporting how much her dress and wardrobe cost but to encourage people to criticize her. I don't see journalist writing about the cost of Crown Princess Mary, Victoria, Maxima or whoever when they are out and about on official engagements. Back in the 80's the palace used to release details about Diana's wardrobe to the media when she did official engagements and Prince Charles stopped the palace from doing that. I don't think the focus should be on the price of her wardrobe. Of course her look will be discussed but mentioning the price is a bit much, IMO.

I too think Catherine carries her pregnancy very well. I don't know much about pregnancies but I do know that every woman's bumps are different and I don't think it's fair to compare her bump to other women's bump.

Kate can never win. She criticized for recycling outfits. She criticized for buying herself a new outfit. :whistling:

I wonder what the DM would consider appropriate wear to a "poverty stricken" council estate in Manchester.

I don't see the point in reporting how much her dress and wardrobe cost but to encourage people to criticize her. I don't see journalist writing about the cost of Crown Princess Mary, Victoria, Maxima or whoever when they are out and about on official engagements. Back in the 80's the palace used to release details about Diana's wardrobe to the media when she did official engagements and Prince Charles stopped the palace from doing that. I don't think the focus should be on the price of her wardrobe. Of course her look will be discussed but mentioning the price is a bit much, IMO.

I too think Catherine carries her pregnancy very well. I don't know much about pregnancies but I do know that every woman's bumps are different and I don't think it's fair to compare her bump to other women's bump.

I see no problem discussing price, since any of us could go online and buy one for ourselves. It's moot.

That virtual sea of St. George's flags was wonderful. It made my day. :englandflag2: :)

Because she buys off the peg, the price is there for all to see. Spending £1000 on a silk dress by a known designer is ok in my book BUT its leading with the price followed by "poverty-stricken" that shows this paper is being deliberately negative at an event where she has been the catalyst for getting agencies together to help.

The issue regarding CPs round Europe is that the majority of what they wear are not off the peg. So price is unknown.

Back to the event - think it was a great event. And I really like Henry.

So I've been stuck in the hospital the past month so that's why I've been MIA but I've been loving seeing Kate at her recent engagements. Her tummy has def grown can't wait for tomorrow

Thank you Dman for the video of her speech.

I liked the dress as I believe she looks her best in these deeper colors. It looks comfortable for woman at the beginning of her third trimester. As for the DM or any other publications' musings on her "bump" the only true opinion that counts is that of her ob/gyn. If she's gaining weight at a healthy rate and her abdominal measurements are within the expected range then her doctor will likely be pleased.

Kate appears to have good interaction when meeting with people. However IMO she needs to have her hair out of the way when she gives speeches. The hair flipping is distracting.

Thank you Dman for the video of her speech.

I liked the dress as I believe she looks her best in these deeper colors. It looks comfortable for woman at the beginning of her third trimester. As for the DM or any other publications' musings on her "bump" the only true opinion that counts is that of her ob/gyn. If she's gaining weight at a healthy rate and her abdominal measurements are within the expected range then her doctor will likely be pleased.

Kate appears to have good interaction when meeting with people. However IMO she needs to have her hair out of the way when she gives speeches. The hair flipping is distracting.

I agree. She keeps shaking her head at the end of each sentence (or less) to pull it back. That's not good.

But in overall it was her best speech so far

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2h
Quite a good speech by Kate in Manchester. It gave a real insight into her thinking about addiction being the root of all evil in the UK.

So I've been stuck in the hospital the past month so that's why I've been MIA but I've been loving seeing Kate at her recent engagements. Her tummy has def grown can't wait for tomorrow
Tomorow's event is in the evening, so we will not get pictures that soon.
But I'm excited as well, its a Art Room at the National Portrait Gallery, I'm expecting some elegant outfit and hopefully an up-do, to look glamorous;)

I think she'll give a speech for tomorow as well, since she's a patron.

Oh my, Ghost Night. I hope you are feeling better. Well of course you are otherwise you would still be in the hospital. I hope you continue to heal.

Papers don't like anyone, they use celebrities, royalty and even joe public to make money. People click on the story because the headline is attention grabbing or for the pictures, and then they read the story. This is an online edition, so they have to do something to up their game. Simple fact is Catherine wore a £1,065 dress to a Manchester school. I don't see any problem in pointing something out that is a fact.

Oh, come on. Does the DM title articles with "The Queen wears £100k+ (as a very conservative estimate) diamond brooch on visit to council estate"? Or, "Prince Charles wears £3,000 Lobb shoes on visit to poverty-stricken Liverpool community centre"? Or, "Prince Harry wears £2,500 Turnbull & Asser suit to favela"?

No, they don't. This is one of two pretty nasty articles on Kate on the DM today. When journalists from other media outlets are publicly raising their eyebrows at the tone of these articles, it's clear what the DM is up to. Thankfully, most of the commenters on the DM seem able to see through it on this occasion at least.

I noticed how quickly the Daily Mail headline changed. The dress is not mentioned :whistling:

Last edited:
I noticed how quickly the Daily Mail headline changed. The dress is not mentioned :whistling:

The dress is mentioned in the 6+ bold bullet points at the start of the article. The price is also highlighted.

No, they don't.

No they don't because those stories would be as boring as the colour beige. Catherine sells. A lot. Positive or negative. I don't understand why people don't get that, it's what papers do!

The dress is mentioned in the 6+ bold bullet points at the start of the article. The price is also highlighted.

No they don't because those stories would be as boring as the colour beige. Catherine sells. A lot. Positive or negative. I don't understand why people don't get that, it's what papers do!

We GET it Lumutqueen but as your post suggests there is a choice - positive or negative and the DM is negative, slmost without exception. That is what they are doing; there is no balance at all. That is the point we are making.

Other papers also want to sell themselves - to the public and to advertisers but they dont just sing one note.

Do you get that?

We GET it Lumutqueen but as your post suggests there is a choice - positive or negative and the DM is negative, slmost without exception. That is what they are doing; there is no balance at all. That is the point we are making.

Other papers also want to sell themselves - to the public and to advertisers but they dont just sing one note.

Do you get that?

Exactly. The Daily Mail reads almost like a tabloid much of the time- the way the story is written is almost without fail designed to imply that what Catherine's doing is wrong. The juxtaposition of the cost of her dress against the socioeconomic background of the kids she was visiting was just a more egregious example of their sensationalism.

The other thing I noticed was their story on her new patronages lead with the sentence "At long last, The Duchess of Cambridge has agreed to take on more charities." The article indicated she'd dragged her feet out of laziness or stubbornness.

Lots of long words in there HRHHermione! :flowers: ;)

Perhaps the DM was suggesting that residents of an "impoverished" council estate were unworthy of the Duchess appearing in a new dress, although had she shown up in something lesser I suspect they would have taken the tact that QEQM dressed up to visit the impoverished bombed out east end of London but the Duchess didnt feel it necessary to dress up to meet residents of an impoverished council estate. A no win situation really for Catherine. The DM does like to fuel the class war on occassion.

Finally....I love the dress and how it looks on her!

LaRae

Exactly. The Daily Mail reads almost like a tabloid much of the time- the way the story is written is almost without fail designed to imply that what Catherine's doing is wrong.

The Daily Mail most certainly is a tabloid, whether in paper or online. It has always been aimed at women, so it tends to be full of populist, gossipy content.

Not to get too OT but, the DM's most notorious move was to back Mussolini and Hitler during the 1930s. Its praise of both would later be used by them for propaganda purposes in their own countries.

Very, very few people read the DM for serious news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom