The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

excellent post.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Nobility

Well said!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
I volunteer with a cancer charity. My responsibility is keeping up with patients who have come to us to request assistance. I and another person call them every three or four months to let them know that we are thinking of them. We ask how they are doing, and then listen to what they have to say. It is terribly emotionally draining, sometimes you hear things you wish you didn't. To say that Kate's keeping up with kids (especially kids!) isn't hard work, is to not know the toll it can take on a human being.
In complete agreement here. I work with children full-time, and even though I love them to pieces, they definitely drain me. A lot of people assume that teaching children with special needs is equivalent to babysitting, and that kind of attitude really irks me. Kids that are in special education have complex needs, and sometimes, they're more challenging than children who are typically developing, and since they're required to learn, the six hours I spend with them are anything but babysitting. They need to acquire certain skills, and it's my job to make sure that they do so, and let me tell you, at the end of the day I'm ready to crash. Same can be said when working with anyone who is terminally/seriously ill. It's draining, because you're putting your heart into your job, be it volunteering, or paid, and I'd imagine one is as exhausted from this type of work as someone who works in construction, or other job that is physically demanding. Catherine may not be doing something outside of her home on daily basis, but what she does while on the phone, listening to someone who is in pain is extremely valuable and admirable. Of course many people will never understand this, and will just keep saying over and over that the woman is a waste or space/money/time/etc.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
I volunteer with a cancer charity. My responsibility is keeping up with patients who have come to us to request assistance. I and another person call them every three or four months to let them know that we are thinking of them. We ask how they are doing, and then listen to what they have to say. It is terribly emotionally draining, sometimes you hear things you wish you didn't. To say that Kate's keeping up with kids (especially kids!) isn't hard work, is to not know the toll it can take on a human being.
First of all, after reading your post I went to re-read mine and admit I may have sounded a bit cold. It was never my intention to say that keeping in contact with the children, sending them her art, calling them once in a while is not important. It is, I'm sure the kids and their families appreciate it and I'm happy she's doing it. I know about the toll you're talking about, both my grandfather and uncle died of cancer not long ago and I know how we all suffered.
But sorry, my definition of hard work is a bit different....
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Royal Highness

[QUOTE=Daria_S;1514603]In complete agreement here. I work with children full-time, and even though I love them to pieces, they definitely drain me. QUOTE]

I really admire you for doing this work,it is good to know that people like you do it with all their heart and it is probably very exhausting and emotionally challenging.Sometimes I look after my nephew and niece who are 3 and 2yrs old and even though I love them,they sometimes strain my nerves
The Duchess would probably get less critisism if she had more photocalls and pictures posing with little children but she seems to prefer working behind the scenes without too much cameras.(In Austria we say "Do a good deed but don´t talk about it" & Catherine seems to follow this rule.)
. Helen Keller
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post

I really admire you for doing this work,it is good to know that people like you do it with all their heart and it is probably very exhausting and emotionally challenging.Sometimes I look after my nephew and niece who are 3 and 2yrs old and even though I love them,they sometimes strain my nerves
The Duchess would probably get less critisism if she had more photocalls and pictures posing with little children but she seems to prefer working behind the scenes without too much cameras.(In Austria we say "Do a good deed but don´t talk about it" & Catherine seems to follow this rule.)
Thank you for your kind words. I like Catherine's attitude, because it shows that she doesn't want any focus on herself when she's working with her charities. She wants to make sure that the attention is on the cause, and with her in front of the cameras that's just not going to happen. I personally think more gets done when she visits/works with her charities in unofficial capacity, because there's no press to worry about.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
In complete agreement here. I work with children full-time, and even though I love them to pieces, they definitely drain me. A lot of people assume that teaching children with special needs is equivalent to babysitting, and that kind of attitude really irks me. Kids that are in special education have complex needs, and sometimes, they're more challenging than children who are typically developing, and since they're required to learn, the six hours I spend with them are anything but babysitting. They need to acquire certain skills, and it's my job to make sure that they do so, and let me tell you, at the end of the day I'm ready to crash. Same can be said when working with anyone who is terminally/seriously ill. It's draining, because you're putting your heart into your job, be it volunteering, or paid, and I'd imagine one is as exhausted from this type of work as someone who works in construction, or other job that is physically demanding. Catherine may not be doing something outside of her home on daily basis, but what she does while on the phone, listening to someone who is in pain is extremely valuable and admirable. Of course many people will never understand this, and will just keep saying over and over that the woman is a waste or space/money/time/etc.

Indeed it is!
My mom lives with us,she has dementia, long term memory fair, short term,she will ask me the same thing several times, my dad is a batchelor at home alone, I also am her legal guardian, this was my decision and choice ,every other week I try to have a three day weekend,I am exhausted,but I wouldn't trade it, I am the only one, no siblings,she is 82 father is 87.
We do one day at a time.
That's all u can do!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

Fifi Wilson ‏@Fifi_Wilson
Just been asked to contribute to Kate Middleton's baby shower.Relieved to see that it's going to her East Anglia Children’s Hospice charity
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Kelly Mathews ‏@allthingsregal 32m
The Baby Hamper Donated to @EACH_hospices by HRH The Duchess of Cambridge is now at £525! Closes May 31, 2013: http://www.each-charity-auction.org.uk/#
Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Courtier

New patronages! Duchess of Cambridge became patron of Natural History Museum, Sportsaid UK and Place2be
Paul Harrison@SkyNewsRoyal10m
#royal St James' Palace: #Kate becomes Patron of 3 new charities: @_Place2Be @TeamSportsAid and @NHM_London (Natural History Museum)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

YAY! That's exciting news.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness

Oh man, leave it to the Mail to write this in the snarkiest way possible.

Their lead in:

"The Duchess of Cambridge has at long last decided to take on more public duties by agreeing to become patron of three charities."

Duchess of Cambridge agrees to become patron of three charities | Mail Online

They make it sound like she had to be forced into it and dragged her feet about it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ooh, interesting. The Natural History Museum is superb and, incidentally, enjoyed its 132nd birthday just yesterday.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Oh man, leave it to the Mail to write this in the snarkiest way possible.

Their lead in:

"The Duchess of Cambridge has at long last decided to take on more public duties by agreeing to become patron of three charities."

Duchess of Cambridge agrees to become patron of three charities | Mail Online

They make it sound like she had to be forced into it and dragged her feet about it.
What i find more appalling than that is that they fail to mention that she infact took on 4 charities a year ago. They make it sound like these are her first patronages.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Courtier

It also isn't far to compare the number of patronages of Kate a 2 yr royal to the Queen Mum at her death after 70 years of being royal.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It also isn't far to compare the number of patronages of Kate a 2 yr royal to the Queen Mum at her death after 70 years of being royal.
You mean she didn't take on those 700 charities within 2 yrs? The Daily Fail indeed.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

The idea of being patron to 700 charities is simply absurd. It just cannot be possible to have a meaningful relationship with that many organisations at once. If all the charities want out of it is to put a royal's name on their letterhead then that's fair enough, but I would've thought most charities would want a genuine and close relationship with their patron.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

We had been waiting for this news and I think it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The idea of being patron to 700 charities is simply absurd. It just cannot be possible to have a meaningful relationship with that many organisations at once. If all the charities want out of it is to put a royal's name on their letterhead then that's fair enough, but I would've thought most charities would want a genuine and close relationship with their patron.
I agree, you can't put meaningful attention to all those charities. When Diana divorced, she dropped about 600 charities or so and decided to just focus on a select few. I think that's just best.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Isn't place2be one of the charities involved in the upcoming Manchester school visit?