The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Commoner

I'd say we have another hour, maybe two. Hopefully not too much longer to go

Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I've heard of women in the US having mothers in the delivery room but that's still the exception. I know I didn't want anyone but my husband there!
I didn't even want to be there myself, much less to have an entourage! I remember thinking, gee, this is the first thing in my whole life I absolutely can't get out of!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAnya View Post
I think you can have whoever you want, but usually just your husband. That also includes your scans, baby classes and everything else that goes with having a baby.
When I had my first son my mother, my sister, and my husband were there. My mother, my first son, my brother, sister and sister in law were with me with the birth of my second son. The hospital staff was fine with it as the father of the baby was not present at the birth.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't want a crowd. Just me, the doctor, a nurse if necessary, and the father of the child, if he's alive/still with me. If the father is not in the picture any longer, for whatever reason, then I'd want my mother or my sister, but only then. Otherwise, the less people I have standing around the bed staring at me while I'm in excruciating pain, the better.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Courtier

My sister was in labor 15 hours with her first one.

In the U.S. I think it's common to have your husband and your mother with you. I would imagine it depends on how young the expectant mother is. If I ever have children I think I would just want my husband. I know several people who had alot of relatives/friends in the delivery room. I think something like that is private.
Heir Apparent

An the announcement will take time to arrive to us...first the queen and then the public, maybe one hour until she gets from the queen to the public...and to me yes her mother is there but not in the delivery room with her...
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
She may have been admitted for PROM, which I had, when your water breaks, no contractions and you go to the hospital after a while till they start. Most docs and hospitals have a 24 hour limit for that senario which would lengthen things. Hope it's just an average first baby

Love Prince Charles' comment, he often nails it
That is what happened to a close friend of mine. She ended up being induced after hours of waiting after her water broke. I was with her, and it was....unpleasant to say the least. I hope that's not what's happening to poor Kate.

Prince Charles has an excellent sense of humor.
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I was certainly on the phone to my mom before my husband could call his grandparents! Carole might not be in the delivery room, but she could easily be waiting nearby. Kate is her baby, and she will be uneasy until she knows the 'ordeal' is over. Don't think HM would object to that- after all, a bunch of docs, nurses, technicians, orderlies, housekeepers, etc, will undoubtedly know before HM, so surely Catherine's parents can be informed without stepping on the Queen's toes. I understand the protocol of the Queen being told 'first', but that is somewhat flexible.
Well that's what I was going to say - unless William is really alone with her in that delivery room delivering the baby all by himself there's going to be a whole slew of people who know before the queen. My guess is the "the queen will know first" statement was released to silence the Kate detractors who don't like Carole.
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post

That how it is in the U.S. also.
Speaking only for my family in the US - ages like Charles, Camilla/Will, Laura - I think the kids were a little tired of openness about bodies and so forth from us. They want privacy and dignified behavior. Life goes on.
Courtier

About 500 years ago, birthing a new royal heir was much different:

And in the past up to 70 people would be present when future monarchs were born, so that they could verify there had been no skulduggery such as an infant impostor being substituted in the royal bedchamber. Archbishops, Cabinet ministers and courtiers were among the dignitaries who would be expected to witness royal births in times past, but when the Duchess of Cambridge (formerly Kate Middleton) gives birth she will only have her husband and a handful of medical staff with her.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I wouldn't want a crowd. Just me, the doctor, a nurse if necessary, and the father of the child, if he's alive/still with me. If the father is not in the picture any longer, for whatever reason, then I'd want my mother or my sister, but only then. Otherwise, the less people I have standing around the bed staring at me while I'm in excruciating pain, the better.
That's my outlook on things. The less people seeing me in pain, screaming, pushing and probably having a meltdown, the better.
Aristocracy

So the big day is finally here!

Best wishes to the Duchess for a safe delivery of a healthy baby
Courtier

Just saw this this on Twitter, The list of peoples who were in the Room When Queen Victoria gave birth to her first Child (Vicky) in 1840. That must have been One Crowded Room and a lot of Pressure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-79562019.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	289705  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAnya View Post
That's my outlook on things. The less people seeing me in pain, screaming, pushing and probably having a meltdown, the better.
It's such an intensely personal and exposing thing anyway; I mean, you're laid up in bed, your feet are in stirrups, and everyone's just standing around gawking at you. One thing I absolutely would NOT want is for the birth to be recorded. Oh hell no. You're not sticking a camera in my face, or anywhere else, while I'm trying to push out a baby. You can record after the birth, and take all the pictures you like then.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness

the Queen on childbirth:

These wretched babies don't come until they are ready.
Queen Elizabeth II

does any one know the context?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Courtier

My youngest brother was born 10 weeks premature. My mom's fluid was leaking as she was driving me to morning kindergarten. She went straight to the hospital afterward, taking my other brother, who was almost 3, with her. Even though I was only 5 and a half, I could sense something was wrong during that car ride. We later found out that the placenta was coming away from the wall of the uterus. When school let out at 11:30, my dad came to pick me up (my mom had called him at work) and we drove to pick up his mom (his dad was up north at the cottage; this was in the middle of winter). That night my grandma and all my aunts and uncles babysat my brother and I while our parents were just up the street at the hospital. The doctors gave my mom some medicine to try and stop the labour, but they didn't work. A little after 2 the next afternoon, the doctors didn't want to wait anymore, and prepped my mom for a C-section. My brother was born at 2:52 PM on Saturday, January 20, 1996 weighing 3 pounds 9 ounces, or 1620 grams. Right now he's downstairs playing piano; I can hear him from my room with the door closed.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
It's such an intensely personal and exposing thing anyway; I mean, you're laid up in bed, your feet are in stirrups, and everyone's just standing around gawking at you. One thing I absolutely would NOT want is for the birth to be recorded. Oh hell no. You're not sticking a camera in my face, or anywhere else, while I'm trying to push out a baby. You can record after the birth, and take all the pictures you like then.

Recording during a birth? I get that it's to look back at in years to come but I would have someone's head if they put a camera anywhere near me midway through birth. I would want no photographic evidence of me giving birth; no makeup, sweating, crazy hair, need I go on?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by christythedreamer View Post

72 hours! That's insane. Your friend must be shattered back then. Hope that's not the same thing for Kate....
Yes she and the baby really had a hard time back then. But in the end everything was well.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by christythedreamer View Post

Agreed. Nothing against them but I think it's more appropriate for the Queen to knows first apart from the medical staff and the new parents
It must be awkward for Carol as she IS The Duchesses mother!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Both families will be informed pretty much at the sametime.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Closed Thread